PDA

View Full Version : Meilen Tu is now world #101


kj-
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:24 AM
:eek: :sad:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:29 PM
She's back to where she was in 1998.

Steam
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Well, its taken her since 1998 to serve the ball.

tyk101
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:31 PM
lol......
how old is she?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Around 21-23. I know she beat Hingis in the 94 US Open Juniors Final.

tyk101
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:39 PM
thats the only good thing I knew too!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:42 PM
LOL ;) She won a title in 2001 in Australia or New Zealand.

She also got a doubles title or 2 with Nathalie Dechy. I love her attitude. She's not brash nor is she "oh she's so good" type of player. She just says what she thinks.

Mikey
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Steam
Well, its taken her since 1998 to serve the ball.

LOL :p

Leena
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:44 PM
2001 Auckland... it amazes me she's actually won a tourney.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:46 PM
She's got skill to be steady top 50 material. I don't know what's going on with her right now, though.

Mikey
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
LOL ;) She won a title in 2001 in Australia or New Zealand.

She also got a doubles title or 2 with Nathalie Dechy. I love her attitude. She's not brash nor is she "oh she's so good" type of player. She just says what she thinks.

Auckland 2001

Tu def. (6)Suarez 7-6(8) 6-2
Tu def. Schiavone 7-6(6) 7-5
Tu def. (8)Osterloh 2-6 7-6(1) 6-4
Tu def. Salerni 6-2 6-4
Tu def. (4)Brandi 5-7 6-4 6-1

tennisIlove09
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:49 PM
She doesn't have a weapon. I remember watching her against Venus at the 01 US Open. Venus won 62 62. Her serve isn't hard, her returns aren't great. Her backhand, forehand are good, but no big weapon. To be steady top 50, she needs a weapon.

Hurley
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:50 PM
A lot of players of her calibre (40-60 ranked) have slumps where they just go on a streak of poor form and lose enough points to slide very low. That will even out and she'll pick up enough wins to get back into the Top 100 again, provided that she's healthy.

When a player who is ranked around 75 has a nice run and gets to about 50, sometimes they start playing tournaments a bit out of their league, and they lose earlier than they would have in lower-tier tournaments, causing them to be unable to defend points successfully.

Mikey
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:50 PM
the people she beat isn't so amazing. suarez didn't really pick it up until the middle of 2001. francesca didn't really get anywhere until her run at RG and then has slowly progressed upward. salerni never really lived up to her potential. osterloh and brandi just fell through the rankings.

although, at the time, all of these people were going places. paola and francesca are the only ones who are still going up.

Leena
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:52 PM
That's probably because the only times I've seen her play is when she's getting trounced in the majors by a top seed. I remember her match against Venus in the US, I think 2000... so... s... l... o... w... to serve, and Vee was just slapping return winners anyway.

She's 25 btw, looked it up. :)

Venus Forever
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:02 AM
What's with many American's dropping??

Jennifer Hopkins, Meilen Tu, Allison Bradshaw, and Kristina Brandi.

I remember when they were talking about Bradshaw being a top player in the future, but she gets injured, and there she goes.

And it seems Alexandra is on her way down too.:rolleyes:

At least we have Granville, Harkleroad, Rao, and Cargill all playing good tennis lately.

Hopefully Rao and Cargill, along with Lee-Waters can break the top 100 soon.

And how come Harkleroad hasn't played any events lately??

mboyle
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:12 AM
That is way too bad. Keep going Meilen!

ptkten
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Ashley has age restriction rules until May, then she can play full time.

I believe she's scheduled for Acapulco next week though.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Mikey
the people she beat isn't so amazing. suarez didn't really pick it up until the middle of 2001. francesca didn't really get anywhere until her run at RG and then has slowly progressed upward. salerni never really lived up to her potential. osterloh and brandi just fell through the rankings.

although, at the time, all of these people were going places. paola and francesca are the only ones who are still going up.

I'm not saying she's the next big star ;) but she does have potential to be top 50 steadily.