PDA

View Full Version : The Crystal Maze - remember it? Sure you do...

JoeyWinson3.0
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:44 AM
WILL YOU START THE FANS.... PLEASE!

BAM! Da-da da daaaaaa, da-da.. BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM, BAM! BA-BA-BA-BAM!
Da-da da daaaaaa, da, da-da da daaaa....
BADA BAM!
Da-da da daaaaaa, da-da.. BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM, BAM! BA-BA-BA-BAM!
Da-da da daaaaaa, da
Badabada badabada,
BADABADA BADABADA-DA
Ba ba baaaa da,
Ba ba baaaa da,
Ba ba baaaa,
BA DA!!!

Yes! The theme tune to probably one of the greatest game shows ever, sadly lost in time forever (unless you have Sky and can watch the repeats on "Challenge TV")

Originally hosted by "Rocky Horror Show" Richard O'Brien, thoroughly annoying bald headed man who played the harmonica whilst informing contestants that "it's an automatic lock-in after 3 minutes". Later Ed Tudor Pole (of Ted Pole Tudor fame, "Swords of a thousand men") took over in the final few series.

The game show consisted of a team of people, all of which were usually chartered surveyors, each of which had to battle through four zones (Medieval, Industrial, Aztec, Futuristic. One of which was replaced by the Ocean Zone), each having to obtain "crystals" from certain games, I can't remember them all but I think they were Mental, Physical, Skill and Logic, correct me if I'm wrong. The crystals they earned got them extra time in the games centrepiece, the Crystal Dome.

In the Crystal Dome, they had to collect gold tickets from the dome and make sure their number of gold tickets collected ammassed their number of silver tickets collected. Basically the tickets blew around the crystal dome and they had to catch them and put them through a letter box.

Very few people won it, the prizes were usually paintball weekends at some leisure park, and the set looked incredibly expensive, probably adding to the sad demise of the show and eventually it being taken off our screens.

Also, there was a pub machine game version, which was utterly impossible, it had a £5 jackpot and I only saw one person win it.

Martian Martin
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:15 AM
This was a classic game show I loved it!! Always used to love at the people at the end went they tried to get the gold tickets when they were all jumping in the air, instead of just collecting the ones that were on the floor!
I always liked when people got locked in, the automatic lock in games were always good.

A great show and I actually thought it was better when it was Richard O'Brien before Ed Tudor Pole started presenting it.

Definitely agree about the theme tune too!!

JoeyWinson3.0
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Oh yeah it did go downhill after O'Brien left...

There always seemed to be a particular type of contestant/team on there, the type of person that really pisses me off. You never saw any working class people on it, always used to be office types who probably went on paintball days a lot..

Yeah I never understood the jumping, I'd just carefully pick the gold tickets that were stuck to the side...

They should bring it back though, I loved seeing people panic over a jigsaw puzzle.

Colin B
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Ahhh; Riff-Raff (Janet)!!!!

JoeyWinson3.0
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Colin B, ye what lad? What's that on about yoth?

Surely more people remember it... oh it wor good.

Colin B
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Riff-Raff was Richard O'Brian's character in 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' and the best song was the opening number 'Janet'.

No, on second thoughts it was:

"T t t t t t touch meeee,
I want to be di-i-rtyyyyy,
Thrill me, thrill me, full-fill me,
creature o-of the night!!
(creature of the night)"

as sung by Susan Saranden(sp) who played Janet.

Thee dunna mek 'em lahk that n' mooer!!

JoeyWinson3.0
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Eee, tha doesne like them musical rubbish. Rubbish fer poofs.

Ye get more o that drama down t'Meadow on t'satdee, footy, pie and pint for all under a tenner. Gerrit down ye.