PDA

View Full Version : Williams/Williams vs Suarez/Ruano Pascual

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:22 PM
If you haven't ever seen it, check out this particular doubles matchup. Sure these are the two best teams in the world, so the matchup OUGHT to be good. But it's better than that.

V & S are a REALLY good doubles team. They hit the ball deep, use a lot of pace so there's no TIME to poach against them, serve well, and cover the net better than any other team on the tour.

Suarez and Ruano Pascual PLAY doubles better than Venus and Serena. Yes, I know, the best evidence of 'better' is the final score. But I'm not talking about 'effectively using your strengths'.

When I say they PLAY better I mean, hitting a shot the forces a return that opens up the court for easy winners by your partner. Against V & S at OZ, I saw one great example of this. Venus was at net, and Serena was in deuce court, exchanging forehands. The players were pulling each other wider and wider off the court. Serena LOVES this and wins points all the time this way, by eventually going down the line. And the player at net for S/RP was basically staionary, as was Venus. Serena went down the line, and instantly the flaw was exposed. Whichever of S/RP was at net took a step toqward the alley and suddenly there was a lane to volley in you could have driven a truck through. Even Venus, with her reach, had no chance.

Put it this way. V & S are the best doubles team in the world, but Suarez and Ruano Pascual ought to sell 'how-to' videos. They play the way players don't have the weapons V & S do need to learn how to play.

SerenaSlam
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:30 PM
actually i think you need to get what you are saying right. yes venus and serena were doing that tactic and ruano/suarez were on to it, but venus and serena were off, they were being so obvious about when and where they were going w/ there shots. virginia caught on quick, but after about the 2nd time, serena then steped it up and changed the tactics, she didin't keep going down the line, that was just a simple case of changing the tactics, many times players can catch on, and serena changed it up on them, thus why they are better, and then on a couple occasions, serena did go down the line but she caught viringia and it was an outright iwinner!

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:05 PM
SerenaSlam - What I'm saying IS right. I think we saw the same match, but are focusing on different points. I picked an example. I could have picked others. I was VERY impressed with S/RP's play. They were the team that displayed superior anticipation, and did a better job of manipulating the opposition into positions where there was an easy point. Thing is, most of that match wasn't EASY points. They were hard points to win, and Venus and Serena are better at getting winners out of small opportunities.

That might sum it up. S/RP did a better job of creating easy points for themselves. W/W did a better job of winning points where the opportunity to win was small.

Like I said I think we saw the same match, but are focusing on different points. You're entitled to your opinion. I just want as many people as possible to check out this matchup the next time it happens. The OZ final was more entertaining than Williams/Williams vs Hingis/Seles, which was a REALLY entertaining match.

Caz
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Yes. I really hope Vivi and Paola can eventually make a good rivalry with the Williams sisters in doubles.
I didn't see the final in Australia 'cos it wasn't broadcast on TV over her, but I watched their final at Wimbledon live and what I saw there, I loved.
Even though I admit that I'm not much of a Williams sisters fan and went to the final to watch Vivi and Paola play, the fact they lost didn't matter, I just enjoyed a watching a really good match.
I really hope Vivi and Paola have what it takes to make a rivalry with the Williams sisters, I really do believe they do; it was a lot closer than the scoreline suggested at Wimbledon, (and though the Willaims sisters weren't playing at their best in that final, Vivi and Paola were really off all the way through Wimbledon last year - that final was by far their best match of the tournament), and it looked from following the scorelines that it was even closer in Australia - Vivi and Paola's worst surface - so it'll be interesting to see what happens should they meet at Roland Garros.
I personally would love to see these two teams contest a lot more doubles finals against one another.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I agree with Volcana and Caz. It's rare to see Venus and Serena act competitive in a doubles match, but they knew they had their work cut out for them against Vivi and Paola.

I figured V & S would have rolled over them, but boy was I shocked - Vivi and Paola are like poetry in motion on that court.

spiceboy
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:11 PM
1998 Rome semifinals

Suarez/Ruano-Pascual def. Williams/Williams 2/6 6/4 7/5 :devil: :devil: :devil:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:18 PM
:fiery: I never knew that happened :fiery:

;)

croat123
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Vamos chicas!

Can't wait until the clay court season...

Caz
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Incidentally, while we're on this subject, I don't suppose there's anyone who taped this match and would be willing to send me a copy, is there?!? :) Pretty please!! :angel: I'd *love* to see it!! ;) If there is anyone who would be kind enough to make me a copy of the match, send me a PM! Thanks!! :D

Havok
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Venus and Serena SUCK ASS as a doubles team. they're just lucky that they have that kind of a serve and those muscles. they don't play smart points, no slices, lobs, etc. Ruano Pascual and Suarez ARE THE doubles team. they plays smarts and not brawn. Serena and Venus just wack at the ball and don't play tactical at all. they just overpower their oponents. for example instead of playing like a drop shot or a slice, they just smack the ball as hard as they can in the opposite direction. that isn't smart doubles, that's just singles playing in a doubles match. they r just lucky that they have that much power because if they didn't, they would be beaten

Venus Forever
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Naldo
Venus and Serena SUCK ASS as a doubles team. they're just lucky that they have that kind of a serve and those muscles. they don't play smart points, no slices, lobs, etc. Ruano Pascual and Suarez ARE THE doubles team. they plays smarts and not brawn. Serena and Venus just wack at the ball and don't play tactical at all. they just overpower their oponents. for example instead of playing like a drop shot or a slice, they just smack the ball as hard as they can in the opposite direction. that isn't smart doubles, that's just singles playing in a doubles match. they r just lucky that they have that much power because if they didn't, they would be beaten

Shows how much you know. :rolleyes:

The object of doubles is to get into net. The Williams do that, Ruano Pascual / Suarez don't. Sure, their power helps them, but it doesn't win a match. Venus and Serena hit some beautiful touch volleys at net. You also can't lob if your opponent doesn't come to net, like Suarez and Ruano Pascual don't.

And if you did watch, you would notice that Venus does drop shot her opponents. I admit, Serena rarely does, but that's just Serena. Doubles is also about poaching and all four ladies do that well.

Again.:rolleyes:

Iconoclast
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Naldo
they r just lucky that they have that much power because if they didn't, they would be beaten
They are also lucky to be allowed to use a racket. Because if they didn't, they would be beaten (or would they?). It's a bit like saying that the Williams sisters would lose if they didn't win.

The players are not required to deposit their muscle mass before entering the court, if their bodies are judged to contain excessive amounts. At least not yet.

propi
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:40 PM
I thinks thereīs no comparison, itīs like Hingis style and Williams style in singles very different but both effective
However for me itīs nicer the Suarez. Ruano style

V.Melb
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Ruano Pascual/ Suarez are a very very tough doubles team. All great touch, lobs, volleys, ---- great fun to watch.
Chris Ba .... i wonder what a great match Halard/Sugiyama would have against Vivi and Paola! :D

I hope Ruano/Suarez have a great rivalry with the sisters.....great doubles all round. :)

Volcana
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Naldo - You're being silly

SerenaSlam
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:59 AM
my whole point is, venus and serena were off when they were playing, therefore those types of points were opened up to s/rp! once venus and serena got there game together we saw those types of points continue to disapear. in this match, yes the occasion was oppened up for s/rp's b/c of the w/w/ bad play, but this is about the only chance a "good doubles team" like s/rp have any chance in hell at beating them.

1luv

King Lindsay
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
SerenaSlam, then what happened at the italian Open when they lost to Vivi and paola?

Volcana
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:59 AM
King Lindsay - Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. I'm sure they lost cause S/RP played better than they did.

SerenaSlam - If you had a new doubles partner, and you wanted a model of how to play, would you get tapes of V&S, or S/RP?

SerenaSlam
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:22 AM
what happend at the 1998 italian open?

I believe the sisters back then were still 2 SINGLES PLAYERS ON THE COURT, and still they managed to mack suarez/pascual struggle to 7-5 in the third! That is what "happened":rolleyes:

SerenaSlam
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:24 AM
i would get tapes of v/s and s/rp b/c they are the 2 best doubles teams in the world! duh, why choose 1 tape when you can get 2?