PDA

View Full Version : So does the gap.......

SerenaSlam
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:13 PM
....... get further away where it used to be? Or is the clijsters hype still in effect? This was a sure example that LA was indeed a fluke, and kim probably wouldn't have won that match had venus not been injured. So what do you all say, is the "Clijsters Hype" still in effect, or has some come to realize that the sisters are just better than her? Remember my post "Keep the thread alive" i see it wasn't kept alive, i tried to look for it, but i decided before the tournie that I would open my big mouth and go on ahead and say Clijsters has nothing on Venus and if they got to the finals would go down easily. Well looks like i didn't eat any of my words once again :)

Before anyone tires to hate on my comments, so many of you takled negative about the comments i was making towards venus vs. kim or serena vs. kim. i tried to explain to you all that kim can only play good defense against Venus. she doesn't have the game to over power venus and win a match. she would have to hope for errors "like she got against serena at the australian"! the matches are in the hands of the sisters, clijsters can only hope and pray. thus why i am making these statements now, you all had it coming. someone was going to have to eat their words, looks like it wasn't me:)
1luv

ans
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
may I ask to leave this thread to the Williams fans? Clijsters-fans better stay out of here, when reading this grown-ups'll have this kind of reaction: :rolleyes:

SerenaSlam
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM
i beg to differ about grownups reactions, if the truth makes the gown up :rolleyes than i don' think we are dealing w/ adults at all!

ans
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
yeah you're right, I'd better leave this board:D

GoGoMaggie
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by SerenaSlam
....... get further away where it used to be? Or is the clijsters hype still in effect? This was a sure example that LA was indeed a fluke, and kim probably wouldn't have won that match had venus not been injured. So what do you all say, is the "Clijsters Hype" still in effect, or has some come to realize that the sisters are just better than her? Remember my post "Keep the thread alive" i see it wasn't kept alive, i tried to look for it, but i decided before the tournie that I would open my big mouth and go on ahead and say Clijsters has nothing on Venus and if they got to the finals would go down easily. Well looks like i didn't eat any of my words once again :)

Before anyone tires to hate on my comments, so many of you takled negative about the comments i was making towards venus vs. kim or serena vs. kim. i tried to explain to you all that kim can only play good defense against Venus. she doesn't have the game to over power venus and win a match. she would have to hope for errors "like she got against serena at the australian"! the matches are in the hands of the sisters, clijsters can only hope and pray. thus why i am making these statements now, you all had it coming. someone was going to have to eat their words, looks like it wasn't me:)
1luv

yeah yeah yeah you are always right. whatever you say turns out right. are you happy?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Actually, ranking wise, Kim closed the gap because she gained points this week.

ans
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:35 PM
LOL:D

veronica
No one on the tour can beat Serena or Venus if they have 55% or above first serves and more winners than errors.

I haven't looked through the stats of every match they have played but I am sure few if any instances can be found where either sister has been outplayed.

When they lose they beat themselves.

:worship:

gmak
whatever :rolleyes:

Uxobi
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Everyone said that Kim was the answer to stopping the dominance of Venus and Serena. Perhaps she will beat them, but for now....she just has to work harder. Venus was totally awesome today....She just outplayed Kim in every department. Venus demonstrated that she is far ahead of the rest of the field.

spokenword73
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:36 PM
clearly clijsters is a good player, but no where near the level of the sisters right now...her wins against the sisters in LA gave her a false sense of confidence and gave the media another player(besides Capriati) to root for as the "Sisters slayer"

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:43 PM
SerenaSlam - I'm a fan of Venus, but a bit of what you said there make NO sense. Had Venus not been injured in L.A, might not the outcome have been the same as at Hamburg in 2002?

Where, (I painfully recall), Venus won the first set 6-1, and lost the match? The H2H favors Venus and rightly so, but Kim is one of the few players who can claim to have beaten a healthy Venus playing well in the last two years.

2001 U.S. Open QF V.WILLIAMS 6-3 6-1
2002 Hamburg FR CLIJSTERS 1-6 6-3 6-4
2002 Stanford FR V.WILLIAMS 6-3 6-3
2002 San Diego QF V.WILLIAMS 6-3 5-7 6-4
2002 Tour Champs SF CLIJSTERS 5-0 Retired

2003 Antwerp FR V.WILLIAMS 6-2 6-2

I offer no excuses for the Hamburg loss. Venus got beat. If Venus had been heathy at the Tour Championships, she might have lost anyway. I doubt it, but like I said, I'm a fan.

You analysis of the two players is right on. Both are great defenders, but Venus has way more offense. But Kim is the #3 players in the world, and beat BOTH Williams sisters last year. WHo else can say that? I know you're reacting a bit to the "Kim is the real #2" Hype, but there are also legitemate fans with legitemate hopes backing Kim. No real need to taunt them is there?

I remember when Venus played Steffi at Wimbledon in 1999. I was SURE Venus would win that match. Everything I saw said she was better than Steffi. Then they played the match. And Venus played out of her mind. And Steffi won.

Before this match, I'm sure Kim's fans saw a player who was better than Venus since the US Open. I'm sure they feel Kim would have won at the TC semi anyway. I've been where they are now. It's tough.

ans
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM
thanks Volcana, you are what I call a Venus-fan with common sense:wavey: