PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Senior WTA Tour?

~SunFlower~
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM
I think it would be more interesting to watch great well-known players over 30's playing in the Senior WTA Tour and but it would hurt WTA Tour since people are not familiar with new faces. :)

1jackson2001
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:41 AM
I think it'd be a great idea...but what about the lack of funding? The senior ATP tour is on its very last legs...and either the prize money for tournies has gone down or tournies have been cancelled.

Zummi
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:58 AM
The women's senior tour died out after 1998. Lack of sponsorship did them in.

Larrybid
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:01 AM
A Senior anything is a bad idea. I don't for the life of me understand the attraction. But judging from the success (or lack thereof) of other geezer tours, there aren't enough peopple unable to let go of the past to support such a venture.

I love Steffi Graf - she's one of my all time favs. I might be interested in whether she could still compete with some of today's tour players, but see her play against Jana Novatna one more time? Why? Why not have her match ground strokes with Evonne Goolagong why don't we. I wanna remember my sports hero's for how they played in their primes, not when they need oxygen tanks at crossovers.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:17 AM
I don't think a tour as such but exhibitions are good.

I remember I think they had Borg vs. McEnroe at the one of the Royal tennis courts last year or a few years ago and I would've loved to have watched that match.

Anyway, aside from money, I don't think some of the players would play. Larrybid, don't worry Steffi WON'T play on such a tour even if you wanted to see her again. She's even reluctant about playing in the French Open mixed doubles, which as far as I'm concerned is almsot like an exhibition situation if she did play.

~SunFlower~
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:23 AM
I think if Steffi, Monica, and Capriati would play in the Senior WTA Tour, it would be a different story. They are the most recognizable players in tennis.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Monica and Capriati? Last time I checked they're in the top ten on the WTA Tour. I highly doubt with Monica anyway, she said when she doesn't want to play anymore she'll retire. That means, just that, she won't come back. Don't know about Capriati.

Jakeev
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Perhaps a senior tour is not a great idea. Not enough star power I guess could go into say a tournament with 32 players.

However, I would like to see more senior singles events at the Grand Slams or an event such as Miami.

These would be some venues that people would want to see the stars of yesterday competing.

Brian Stewart
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM
I don't think a stand-alone senior tour would go. As Jakeev says, it would be hard to round up 24-32 players for each of, say, a dozen events or so. Plus, half or more of the events would wind up in the US, and I'm not sure we'd support that many. And you need a greater variety of players.

I'd like to see a senior tour established within the confines of the main WTA tour. It shouldn't be too hard to find 8, 10, or 12 tournament sites which currently host Tier IV's or V's (or the odd III) that could handle an extra 8-16 singles tourney, with half that in doubles. There are a lot of players who retired in the last several years who could still play some good, entertaining tennis.

If they tie these in with the senior events at the slams, it could work. Start small, and make sure everything is well coordinated. Perhaps they could poll the various regions that host the lower-tier events and see where there might be interest. There are bound to be some places that would enjoy seeing the likes of Basuki, Wiesner, Tauziat, Hy-Boulais, Novotna, Date, etc., playing each other in real matches with money and ranking points on the line. A lot of former players are already in or near these tournament cities, either broadcasting or coaching. Plus, these senior matches would make good filler for the evening session, after the main tournament's feature singles match. Promote it with photo ops and autograph sessions, and it could be somewhat successful.

And here's an idea: each senior event would have a contest, where some lucky local woman gets to play doubles with a legend in the doubles portion of the senior tournament. A real, honest-to-goodness match. This would, of course, require one player to make a sacrifice at each tournament, knowing she's giving up any shot of winning the doubles. This duty could be rotated among the top doubles players on the senior tour, so it balances out.

irma
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:04 AM
I don't think steffi would play on the senior tour but then I was also convinced that she would never show her face on a grand slam tournament again after retirement :eek:

I know it has a reason why she does but still;)