PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters Is Engaged To Lleyton Hewitt

lizchris
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Williams to face Clijsters in Diamond Games final

By CONSTANT BRAND
.c The Associated Press

ANTWERP, Belgium (AP) - Venus Williams coasted to a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Daniela Hantuchova on Saturday to reach the Diamond Games final against Kim Clijsters.

Williams will be going for her second straight title in Antwerp.

``I feel really good with my service games,'' Williams said. ``I'm focused and strong, so I guess I am ready for the final.''

Earlier Saturday, Williams pulled out of the Dubai Open, citing a change of schedule. She told tournament organizers she has been forced to take a closer look at her tight schedule for the year and decided to skip Dubai, which beings Monday.

The world's No. 2 player made a quick and impressive first stand against Hantuchova. Williams started the match with two blistering serves, one of which reached 113.7 miles per hour.

Hantuchova tried to answer Williams' serve, sending a 98 mph-ace that went right past Williams, giving her a 2-1 advantage early in the second set. But Williams answered right back in similar fashion, taking four straight games before Hantuchova finally got to 5-4.

Williams, however, was too much for the Slovak and closed out the set.

She now will face world No. 3 Clijsters on Sunday. Clijsters defeated fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-2, 7-6 earlier Saturday.

Clijsters moved quickly to take the first set, capitalizing on solid backhands. But Henin-Hardenne came back late in the second set, tying it at 6.

A resurgent Clijsters gave Henin-Hardenne no chance in the tiebreaker, taking it 7-3. She was applauded by her fiance and men's world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, who was in attendance.

``I am happy to be through,'' Clijsters said. ``I was a bit sick yesterday, this match was better than against Patty Schnyder in the quarterfinal.''

Henin-Hardenne lost her last showdown with Clijsters in Australia in January 2-6, 3-6, and failed again to break her Belgian rival.

Williams said it's not a big deal that she's going to play Clijsters on her home turf.

``It does not bother me,'' Williams said. ``In playing at home, Kim has to feel good that the whole country is behind her.''

02/15/03 15:28 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated P

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:18 AM
hmmm......I believe it, did Kim or Lleyton say it?

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:40 AM
They aren't engaged.... almost 100% of non american media has always written fiance instead of boyfriend or girlfriend but neither of them has ever said they were engaged

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:45 AM
They're not engaged! :rolleyes:

ASV
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
This got my hopes up that she'd have a baby and leave the tour :(

lizchris
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:08 AM
I am just reporting wha this article said. and who says they can't be engaged. They could have gotten engaged without the public knowing.

LeonHart
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Fiance means boyfriend in that sentence IMO...they're too young to marry!

GBFH
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:15 AM
I thought they were engaged...this pic I saw on the wta website looks like Kim has something on her left ring finger...see if I can get it on here.

http://www.wtatour.com/assets/story_image/ClijstersHands021103.jpg

You can just barely see a glittery diamond on her hand...if it's not an engagement ring, is it some kind of family heirloom, or good luck charm or something?

Pinkie
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:27 AM
LLeyton gave her that ring. But they both deny it's an engagement ring. Kinda like a friendship ring with diamond :p From the interviews I've read (too many :o ), Kim seems to talk about marrying Lleyton more in terms of when rather than if. But they're not officially engaged.

GBFH
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Thanks pinkie :)
Wish my guy friends would give me a diamond :p

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Pinkie
LLeyton gave her that ring. But they both deny it's an engagement ring. Kinda like a friendship ring with diamond :p From the interviews I've read (too many :o ), Kim seems to talk about marrying Lleyton more in terms of when rather than if. But they're not officially engaged.

:D :D :D

Pinkie
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by GBFH
Thanks pinkie :)
Wish my guy friends would give me a diamond :p
Hey, any time. Wtaworld is one of the few places this kind of knowledge is appreciated. In real life, it only gets me "you need to get a life" looks.

I'll settle for Kim's bank account. I'd get myself a really nice ring.:p

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Y'all can have rings and money, I'll take Lleyton :D :p

ClijstersHewitt
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Pinkie
Hey, any time. Wtaworld is one of the few places this kind of knowledge is appreciated. In real life, it only gets me "you need to get a life" looks.

I know that look all too well. :o :p

GBFH
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by angele87

LOL, he is a sexy beast :)

lleytnkim
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Adding to what Tinne said, Kim was first spotted with the ring on her finger at the Aussie open 2001. When she was asked if it was an engagement ring she said it was a birthday present from Lleyton and she wears it on her wedding finger coz she thinks its bad luck to wear it on her right hand. ;) She hasn't taken it off since :p She has it on even when she playing. Every now and then rumors of an engagement pop up. But both Lleyton and Kim continue to deny they're engaged. :)
QG ;) :p

Couple of pics of her lovely ring. :hearts:
http://www.archive.newspix.com.au/photolib/images/lores/09472010.jpg

disposablehero
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Again?

katelijn
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:42 AM
kim got the ring for her 17th birthday she said in different interviews it was a birthday present and she didn't even say from who it was.

No Doubt
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
That means when she does get engaged to Lleyton, she'll have two rings on the same finger.....Geeeez! Lucky Girl!! Well if she ever wants to give one away, I'll be happy to take it off her hands!

Hagar
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Oh please, what is all this crap about "being engaged". Lots of people simply get married without ever being engaged. Engagement, that's pretty old-fashioned, isn't it?

Experimentee
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Everybody who marries has an engagement, because thats simply the period between when the couple decides to get married and the day they actually do get married.
I dont believe Kim would get married so early because she says all the time that shes too young to get married and shes not thinking about that now, which is true.

seabiscuit
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:37 PM
i'm just suprised they are not married yet

JCAP
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:39 PM
IM GONNA CRY!!! I WANT Llyton!!

TammysBigSis
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'd rather have my friends give me emeralds, sapphires, or rubies. Diamonds are artificially expensive, thanks to DeBeers keeping a lot of mined diamonds in vaults.

Now that I've completely bored you, I think Kim is much too nice for Lleyton, but maybe he is different when he is alone with her (unlike his on court personality). It's nice that they constantly support each other when they can, though.

Hendouble
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:37 PM
I can just imagine Clijsters, if asked about this story, giving a pleasant and jaunty denial that they are engaged, with her voice just, you know, going up at the end of each sentence in that sort of, like Flemish way, right?

And by the same token, I can easily imagine Hewitt when asked this responding, "What? Mate, no no no, mate, you are kidding me. That is bull***t, mate, that is f***ing crap!" (This was his actual response to a bad line call at a tournament last year, BTW)

angele87
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Lleyton doesn't mind talking about Kim, he just isn't asked often because reporters are probably scared that he'll have a not so nice reaction but I've never seen him refuse to talk about her or get upset or anything like that.

I'd rather have my friends give me emeralds, sapphires, or rubies. Diamonds are artificially expensive, thanks to DeBeers keeping a lot of mined diamonds in vaults.

Just for my own satisfaction, did you hear that on 20/20? :o Cuz that guy that always rants about stuff at the end of the show was talking about that last week or the week before lol

Hendouble
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:07 PM
I still think he's pretty sensitive on the issue, though... I gather that at the 2001 US Open, Pam Shriver speculated a little about their relationship in an interview she did with him and he became quite embarrassed about it.

angele87
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM
He's shy more than sensitive... is the interview you're talking about when Pam asked him if he was going to watch the women's final and he was like I dunno, I might just get an early night in and she was like I guess that's up to Kim isn't it? I don't remember exactly how it was said but I remember how it came out sounding lol I would of been a bit embarassed as well lol

But anyway he might not be as open as Kim about their relationship, meaning that he probably wouldn't offer up as many details without being specifically asked but he certainly does not get upset when asked about her :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:37 PM
LOL @ non-Lleykies who believe everything they read

Hagar
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Experimentee, engagement is the whole official stuff with the guy asking the hand of the girl to her father. Lots of people don't proceed that way anymore, esp. when they are older. It's more: you date, you live together and you marry at some point. Without parents sticking their noses into your business.

Gangsta_Girl
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Naa man they are WAAY to young for marriage.

Hendouble
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:34 PM
I'm always a little amused at the way people condense the Hewitt-Clijsters romance into 'Lleyki'.... it reminds me too much of 'Leaky', and then I get a mental image of Hewitt getting worked up on court and dissolve into fits of laughter.

possie
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Hendouble
I'm always a little amused at the way people condense the Hewitt-Clijsters romance into 'Lleyki'.... it reminds me too much of 'Leaky', and then I get a mental image of Hewitt getting worked up on court and dissolve into fits of laughter.

LMAO:D

Hendouble
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Blimey, I've got the knack of getting you amused just by mentioning Hewitt's name - I was the one who posted that headband comment and pic over on atpworld, by the way.

Hawk
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:53 PM
He's shy more than sensitive... is the interview you're talking about when Pam asked him if he was going to watch the women's final and he was like I dunno, I might just get an early night in and she was like I guess that's up to Kim isn't it? I don't remember exactly how it was said but I remember how it came out sounding lol I would of been a bit embarassed as well lol

Yeah no kidding..that was probably pretty embarassing :o I remember when Pam said that..I was like HELLO?! :eek: Poor Lleyton lol

lleytnkim
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I have it on tape. Lleyton was really embarrased :o Poor thing. He's so shy. His face turned bright red when Pam said that :p although I don't think she meant it that way.
And I can find several interviews where Lleyton has talked about Kim. Like QG said, he may not offer private details of their relationship on his own but he doesn't mind talking about it. :)
Lleyton is a sweetheart :hearts: and Kim knows it! ;)

angele87
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by lleytnkim

And I can find several interviews where Lleyton has talked about Kim.

Me too :D :D

possie
Feb 19th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Hendouble
Blimey, I've got the knack of getting you amused just by mentioning Hewitt's name - I was the one who posted that headband comment and pic over on atpworld, by the way.

Hey, I had no idea that you were the person who posted both!! Even though I am a Hewitt fan, you've got to admit that they were both pretty funny:) :) See ya.....

keta
Feb 19th, 2003, 06:34 AM
I have it on tape. Lleyton was really embarrased :o Poor thing. He's so shy. His face turned bright red when Pam said that :p although I don't think she meant it that way.
And I can find several interviews where Lleyton has talked about Kim. Like QG said, he may not offer private details of their relationship on his own but he doesn't mind talking about it. :)
Lleyton is a sweetheart :hearts: and Kim knows it! ;)

Can you please post whats in they actually say in the interview? I love to hear it! :kiss: :D

lleytnkim
Feb 19th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Here ya go, Kets....

Courtside interview by Pam Shriver after Lleyton beat Kafelnikov in the semis at the USO 2001. This was the last question she asked.

Pam: I assume you and Kim will watch CBS tonight, the Williams sisters finals. Come on!

Lleyton : (smiles) Yeah, it'll be very interesting. I'll have to get an early night's sleep though.

Pam: Well that's up to Kim.

Lleyton: (his face turns bright red :p and looks very embarrased and smiles) Yeah.

Pam: Alright thanks Lleyton.

Lleyton: Thank you.

That's all. :)
Me too :D :D
Of course you can QG :p

mboyle
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM
I say she is engaged. (but it is mostly cause they are such a cute couple)

possie
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Pam: I assume you and Kim will watch CBS tonight, the Williams sisters finals. Come on!

Lleyton : (smiles) Yeah, it'll be very interesting. I'll have to get an early night's sleep though.

Lleyton: (his face turns bright red :p and looks very embarrased and smiles) Yeah.

Lleyton thinks to himself....."damn, they know what were up to!"

So that's why he's so embarressed....you're only embarressed if you have something to be embarressed about!!:lick:

Feb 19th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by TammysBigSis

Now that I've completely bored you, I think Kim is much too nice for Lleyton, but maybe he is different when he is alone with her (unlike his on court personality). It's nice that they constantly support each other when they can, though.
He is totally different off the court...and they claim not to be officially engaged, but Kim said they have discussed marriage...and there are rumors that they are just lying about the whole thing because there are photos of Kim wearing a ring on her other hand (Kim said it's bad luck to wear rings on her right hand, which is why she wears it on the left)...but that could just mean that the photographer has flipped the photo

Feb 19th, 2003, 11:29 PM

But anyway he might not be as open as Kim about their relationship, meaning that he probably wouldn't offer up as many details without being specifically asked but he certainly does not get upset when asked about her :)
Yeah, he seemed quite happy to be talking about her in an interview with John McEnroe 2 the Aus. Open...but he was talking about her in relation to tennis. I don't think he wants to give out the personal details of their relationship (which is totally understandable)

angele87
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Here ya go, Kets....

Courtside interview by Pam Shriver after Lleyton beat Kafelnikov in the semis at the USO 2001. This was the last question she asked.

Pam: Alright thanks Lleyton.

Lleyton: Thank you.

That's all. :)

Thanks for the interview :kiss: What's your name btw?? I know I should know but I forget :o

lleytnkim
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:33 AM
What's your name btw?? I know I should know but I forget :o
Pff QG, its me Dolly :rolleyes: :p and you're welcome :D

lleytnkim
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by possie
Lleyton thinks to himself....."damn, they know what were up to!"

LMAO! :o :p

angele87
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Dolly :o I'm so embarassed, I had no idea it was you lol

lleytnkim
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Its alright QG :D

angele87
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:40 AM
I hope you'll forgive me :kiss:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:01 PM
I think LLeyton's sweet 2. He's a bit shy but even so I don't blame him 4 being embarressed. I remember last yr this guy from skool told me he was getting my boy condoms 4 his bday every1 started asking me all these questions & I was soo pissed off I walked outa class. I would never ask some1 (even some 1 famous) personal questions bout there relationship. I think Lley & Kim r cute & when I talked 2 Kim @ Hopman Cup I told her that but that's as far as I'd go!

No Offence but some journalists r soo rude!