PDA

View Full Version : Which movies have the best *orchestral/symphony* songs on their soundtrack?!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
I just like to download main themes and popular songs of these movies. I really want an extensive collection because they are mellow and I love just laying down and listening to these songs in the dim-lighted room, very relaxing. Anyway, can anyone help me with my list, I just have:

Last of the Mohicans, Pearl Harbour, Requiem for a Dream, Talented Mr. Ripley, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Virgin Suicides and Gladiator

Thank you

JonBcn
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:46 PM
I recommend:

the Piano

All About my Mother (Todo Sobre mi Madre)

Twin Peaks

and if you like that sort of stuff try Craig Armstrong's 'The Space Between Us' album.., I think you'll love it. :)

bh440
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Out of Africa, hands down. :)

evadafan
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Also love Last of the Mohicans.

And can't forget the classics Gone With the Wind and Chariots of Fire.

lemon
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:51 AM
I like the soundtrack from We were soldiers and last of the mohicans too. Another good one is Jurassic Park

GBFH
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Anything with John Williams...I'm watching "Harry Potter" on Cinemax...and that theme will be in my head all night :)

ys
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Besides already mentioned
Deer hunter,
Godfather,
Love Story,
Titanic,
Le Professionnel,
and my favourite "Unchained melody" from Ghost..

Ting
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Gone with the wind, Pearl Harbor, Lord of the Rings...and I really like the sound track of Shrek:)

Master Lu
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Vangelis has a whole album of his most famous movie themes. It includes themes from Bladerunner, Missing, Antartica, Chariots of Fire, Bounty and much much more. :) I think you'd love it. (Pobably not just his movie themes) It's called "Themes", simply enough. :)
Other that that, and the stuff already mentioned, I'd reccomend the theme from 'The Mission', then a peice from 'The Exorcist' (lol nothing freeky) called, ummm, darn, I can't remember, it's on the Pure Moods 1 CD, anyway, and I'm to lazy to get out of my bed.

There's a lot more, but I can't remember them all from the top of my head. I'll have to check in my CD collection.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Aside from those mentioned, try "Amelie". It's really good ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Thanks so much guys!!!!!!

gmt
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Don't forget Bernard Herrmann, probably the most impressive orchestrator of them all (he had gathered an enormous collection of orchestral effects over the years). My own favourite is Hitchcock's Vertigo, as well as The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (the best evocation of the sea in a movie track IMO), but there are lots of others, for instance North by Northwest or Psycho.

Another favourite of mine is the haunting Rozsa score for Providence, so melancholy and bluesy.

And there are Rota's unforgettable scores, ranging from Il gattopardo (the Cheetah), the score of which is based on his own Sinfonia sopra una canzone d'amore, to the magic of Fellini's Casanova or the nostalghia of Amarcord.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks GMT! Wow!

propi
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:20 PM
why don´t you talk about Crouching tiger, hidden dragon???
And Magnolia :)
Just love them

gorecki
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
dunno if anyone mentioned ryuchi sakamoto [Wuthering Heights/ Merry Christmas Mr Lawerence/ The Sheltering Sky / The Last Emperor... ]

Gabriel Yared [English Patient / City of Angels]

Michael Nyman: The Piano/Gattaca ...

:wavey:

tennisIlove09
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Titanic
Braveheart

gorecki
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:50 AM
you could also try Shiergu Umebayashi's [ Yumeji's Theme ] from the movie soundtrack of In The Mood for Love.