PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams pulls out of Dubai Open

Venus_Serena
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:48 PM
February 15, 2003
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Venus Williams pulled out of the Dubai Open on Saturday, citing a change of schedule.

Williams told tournament organizers she has been forced to take a closer look at her tight schedule for the year and decided to skip Dubai.

Williams, ranked No. 2, was to play Daniela Hantuchova in the semifinals of the Diamond Games in Antwerp, Belgium, on Saturday.

Americans Jennifer Capriati and Monica Seles, along with Justine Henin-Hardenne, the top seed, and defending champion Amelie Mauresmo are entered in the Dubai Open, which begins Monday.

spiceboy
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:52 PM
I believe she will be fined, that's not a valid excuse...

Venus Forever
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

BK4ever
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Thats a BS excuse and she should be fined the maximum. There is no excuse for pulling out last minute for such a reason.

I can only hope that she has a better reason or that she made a deal with the WTA to show up someplace else in exchange for dropping out in Dubai :sad:

Jakub
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:00 PM
She could have noticed that before she entered Dubai ;)

tenn_ace
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:02 PM
imagine feelings of those people who bought tickets to see her...

tenn_ace
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I think the change in her schedule is her agreement to play in FedCup 1st round. I hope she won't change her mind for that one... after all I payed big bucks hoping to see her.

lizchris
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BK4ever
Thats a BS excuse and she should be fined the maximum. There is no excuse for pulling out last minute for such a reason.

I can only hope that she has a better reason or that she made a deal with the WTA to show up someplace else in exchange for dropping out in Dubai :sad:

It is a fact that though the Indian Wells tournament, where Serena was heavily booed in the final, didn't do as well moneterily as they did the year before. Maybe the WTA and Indian Wells asked her to play, she agreed and dropped out of Dubai as as result (remember Martina Hingis will not be playing and she was a big draw). Face it people, except for Piolt Pen, which preceded the US Open, when do you know of Venus playing back to back tournaments (though if she is playing Indian Wells, she would do that since she is playing Nasdaq too).

mn73
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:18 PM
That would look very weird though pulling out of an event which would mean two weeks of play back to back citing a tight schedule, only to enter Indian Wells and then play FOUR weeks back to back when you include Miami. It can't have surprised her that she is in the final at Antwerp, so I can't see how she is suddenly feeling a tight schedule after two events in 2003. And I'm not anti-Williams at all - I'm desperately wanting to see a rematch with my other fave Jennifer Capriati, so this is not good news at all to me!

Chance
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:19 AM
yeah I agree with BK it's pretty lame to do it 2 days's before the draw is out. I'm sure there is another reason for it...that Venus won't reveal to the media.

On a positive note Monica will get a bye and hopefully can add some points here.

I just realised Venus and Jen Cap both entered the Moscow tournament but Jen pulled out, now when there is a chance they might meet up- Venus pulls out.. Damn it girls stop trying to avoid each other- ;)

Whatzup
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Wow, she has already a short schedule with just 11 tournaments and now she will pull out of dubai......strange ;)

fammmmedspin
Feb 16th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Venus Williams pulled out of the Dubai Open on Saturday, citing a "change of schedule" - which it obviously was.

Will this be the start of a global revolution? Will children bunking off school, people missing work, soldiers going AWOL, plumbers failing to turn up... all start excusing themselves saying its down to " a change in schedule"?:confused: