PDA

View Full Version : WTA players that are the nicest off court

Love-seles
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM
My picks are Seles. Clijsters. Majoli. Rubin. Coetzer Perice. Navratilova. their are other wta players on the tour who i also consider nice off court. but not up to par with this group as of yet.:wavey:

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:59 PM
how do we know the players off the court?

victory1
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Irma I was thinking the same thing.:rolleyes:

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by irma
how do we know the players off the court? Gosh, gee, well, UC... (oh, never mind)! ;)

player2
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I have seen AVS play many times in the United States.
Without exception, she was very generous with her
time and gracious with the fans.

ASV
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Well, Arantxa of course.

Maleeva was very nice when we met her @ 2001 US Open. She was giving her broken racquets and wristbands and everything away. It was like these 7 year old girls were rumagging through her bag for anything they could get...one even got to go in the locker room with her.

Dinara Safina and Iroda Tulyaganova were also very, very nice. They signed an autograph for anyone that wanted one, and waited for everyone to get them before the security guards rushed them off court.

Barbara Schett and Chanda Rubin thought that no one wanted their autographs and were walking off court after practice when we managed to get their attention. I don't think they hold themselves in very high regards.

Iva Majoli wasn't all that great, as someone stated above. She seemed quite angry that we actually recognized her, and wished that it never happened.

Francesca Schiavone, Venus Williams, and a few others pretended we didn't exist.

Virginia Ruano-Pascual wasn't very happy we recognized her either, or maybe it was because we didn't call her Vivi.....

Maja Matevzic was very pleased when someone asked her for her autograph, but I wasn't sure to pronounce here name Maya or Maha so I decided not to make myself seem like an ass.

Anna Pitolesi was enthralled once we told her about annasmashnova.com. That was exciting.

Surprisingly, Nathalie Tauziat wasn't all that mean. She was to a little boy, after he asked her for her autograph and then screams to me "WHAT'S HER NAME AGAIN!?", whenst she denied her signature. Dechy didn't think anyone wanted hers eithes.

Navratilova wasn't all that great. In 2000, she signed my brother's Big Tennis Ball and threw it over her shoulder with the Sharpie and stormed away.

Mauresmo was very nice, even after her practice session. That was really cool.

We got pictures with Testud, who was ADORABLE.

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Surprisingly, Nathalie Tauziat wasn't all that mean. She was to a little boy, after he asked her for her autograph and then screams to me "WHAT'S HER NAME AGAIN!?", whenst she denied her signature. Dechy didn't think anyone wanted hers eithes.

tauziat should get a little humour;)

spiceboy
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Amy Frazier and Gala Leon are both very nice...

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Hands down, Arantxa. She signed me an autographe after she played a terrible match. She even smiled at the fans n said thank you to ppl who wished her good luck.

ys
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:33 PM
They are people, just like us.. They could be in a good mood to do something for you, or they could be not.. When player loses the match and then goes signing autographs, it should really be appreciated, but if she doesn't, I have no problem understanding. Like Lena Dementieva is very, very nice, if she wins, but if she loses, she rushes off court immedately, which I understand..

Leena
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:36 PM
I agree... just because a player doesn't sign autographs, it doesn't mean she's an awful person. The main reason I wouldn't is because of safety, because you can't trust anyone nowadays.

MLF
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Isn't this about the 457th time WTAworld has had this thread?

ys
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Isn't this about the 457th time WTAworld has had this thread?

I am not sure.. Could you provide links to those about 456 threads?

harloo
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:53 PM
NOONE up in here knows how nice a player is off court. And don't give me the "she signed my autograph, and was nice" bull. I have seen my faves play many times, and once got an autograph however I don't know what kind of person they are because I was only around them for a few minutes. If even that. So unless you are a relative of that player, then you don't know if they are nice or not. And a friend of a friend thing don't count either. LOL

Luna_Angel_84
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Who's met Jen cos I want to kow what to expect come Wimbly time? ;)

Shane54
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:56 PM
I don't see why everyone thinks Chanda is so nice off court. I am from her hometown. Alot of people, when her name comes up, think that she is either snotty or unpersonable. And those comments have come from black and white. She grew up wealthy so maybe she is just another stuck up rich kid. I personally, do not root for her.

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Kournikova,Rubin,Babsi,Iva,GALA...

maccardel
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:27 PM
The player that caused the unexpected upset that day..I guess...we all have bad days. Even the pope has to battle diarrhea once in a while and cannot stand to talk to everyone......

Keith
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Luna_Angel_84

I met her! I think you know that story...but before that, I was watching her practice at the USO and I was standing on the bleachers and I was waving at her while she was practicing and she smiled and waved at me...so that was nice...And then like 2 hours later, I was walking around and bumped right into her:hearts: :hearts: Jen is nice

Rainer Schuettler gave me a hug when I met him...

Keith
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Oh, and Tim Henman was very nice and shy, although I did beat him 6-0.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ys
They are people, just like us.. They could be in a good mood to do something for you, or they could be not..

Shane54
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Well everyone has their off days, but I believe when you consistently have your "snotty, I don't want to talk to people days" is quite very frequently, then I don't believe that this is "just an off day".

Keith
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:59 PM
If someone told me I had to be nice and pleasant all the time, even if I was a celebrity, I would tell them to fuck off (especially if i wasnt in a good mood)

Shane54
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:08 PM
No one is saying you had to be nice all the time, it is called being a genuinely nice person. Being in your own hometown. and it is not like people mob Chanda over here. She is not that big of a celebrity even in her hometown. People just need to accept that there are stuck up people in this world.

tinkerbell
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:07 PM
i've seen ASV quite a few times at Eastbourne & she's always seem quite happy to speak to people i've also seen Chanda chatting to fans

gmak
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM
kim monica ASV chanda mary amelie sandrine

starr
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:34 PM
ASV is a delight! On the tennis grounds she is always smiling and talks to everyone. Also she walks around by herself without security or some huge entourage.

Martina is lovely on the tennis grounds too. She stops and signs for people even when security is trying to shoo them away. Her face lights up when she sees the children waiting for her autographs after a practice session. I've never seen her glowering or walking about with a sullen expression.

Everyone always praises Monica. The drivers, the ball kids.. everyone.

Actually, good people to ask about the natures of the players are the volunteers around the tennis grounds. The ball kids, the drivers, etc.

Frau Antje
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:38 PM
definately Kim

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Luna_Angel_84

U know the answer to that question!!;) ;)
:lick: :p

Iroda_Fan
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Kim Clijsters wow very friendly
Iroda Tulyaganova she's one of my favorites
Elena Lihovtseva sorry about spelling, but very friendly too
Mary Pierce vey nice
Anastacia vey nice too
Patty Snyder
Martina Hingis when there's not alot of people. I have 15 autographs from her.
Jennifer Capriati
Cara Black her coach is funny too.
Elena Dementieva is the nicest of all. It was at indian wells she was practicing on her serves, then after a few minutes her mom left. And we were across the court and we ask her is she could come to us and she walked across and we got her autograph and took pictues with her and she was talking to us for a few minutes, cause there was no one around all of the people were busy watching pete sampras,

those are the friendly ones

Elena Huntuchova she's ok not the nicest
Lindsay Davenport same as above
Anna Kournikova same as above
Araxta sanchez

And these are the ones i don't go near

Monica Seles Bad experience with her twice and trust me she's not that nice.

Martina Navratilova I don't even know why as ask for her stinky autograph. I asked her for her autograph and she's like "why not if i have to":(

Conchita Martinez she was rude to my friend, she said am buzy ran away from him, and nobody was even watching her practice and he was waiting for a long time to get her ugly autograph.

I have many more trust me that i can't think off right now.

Caz
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ASV
Virginia Ruano-Pascual wasn't very happy we recognized her either, or maybe it was because we didn't call her Vivi.....

Probably the language barrier; she's always been lovely and perfectly willing to chat when I've met her, but then I've always been with Spanish people and English is not exactly her strong point, so......!! ;)

Yeah, Arantxa and her whole family are fantastic, they've always gone out of her way for us; leaving us tickets, calling us in our hotel rooms, Emilio even spent ages arguing with the security guards on court 2 at Wimbledon to try to make them let us in to watch Arantxa play!!

Patricia Tarabini is also great, as is Magüi Serna and Nuria Llagostera is really sweet. Nathalie Tauziat was also nice the only time I spoke her.

tinkerbell
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Iroda what was ur bad experience Monica. i've never been convinced that she's that nice. i don't dislike her though

Volcana
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Venus is the soul of nice. No one could be nicer off court. Serena's really cool too, but less likely to choose a circumspect answer when insulted. But you can't beat those two when it comes to nice. Well, off court anyway.

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:51 PM
except when Venus makes young boys cry because she didn't stop to sign an autograph! But then every1 is entitled to an off day

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Shane54
I don't see why everyone thinks Chanda is so nice off court. I am from her hometown. Alot of people, when her name comes up, think that she is either snotty or unpersonable. And those comments have come from black and white. She grew up wealthy so maybe she is just another stuck up rich kid. I personally, do not root for her.

I agree....Chanda is overhyped IMO as a nice person to the fans. I know she does a lot of community work and stuff, but she has been extremely arrogant to some folks at times.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Rainer Schuettler gave me a hug when I met him...

oooh.....what kind of hug? ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by jennifermarie
except when Venus makes young boys cry because she didn't stop to sign an autograph! But then every1 is entitled to an off day

Sounds like 75% of the other tour players as well.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I have ONLY ever heard of 2 players that fans have NEVER had a bad interaction with:

Sandrine Testud - who would give you a kidney if you needed one

and

ASV - who does more for her close fans that any other celebrity on this earth

It takes a lot to be nice to everyone day in and day out - you gotta hand it to these 2 ladies - it takes a lot of patience to be that way :)

starr
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:11 PM
I've never been around Testud, but have heard good things about her. She's garnered a lot of fans because of her friendliness. ASV is so easy going and if you speak spanish she is your friend forever.

I think the ball kids generally say Venus and Serena are nice. They have so many people around them all the time that you can't get anywhere near them after practice. They also don't look approachable.

I never ever ever go up to a celebrity. I always think that it is the only gift I can give to them.... to leave them in peace. I was looking at Pat Rafter on the practice court through my binoculars one time and he looked up at me. I felt kind of bad.

Iroda_Fan
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:32 PM
tinkerbell This is the story. It was at the acura tournament. You know i was with my friends and then i saw Monica and her coach walking to a court, as i got closer to her i ask for her autograph and she said later after practice, and there was like about 5 people wanted to get her autograph and this little girl said please Monica. And she said "i said later after practice". I left and went to the other courts. About an hour later she was done and i couldn't believe the little girl waited for the whole hour next to the door waiting for her. Then one of the female securities said "ladies and glentlemen miss. seles does not want to sign any autographs at this times, but after her match" and trust me there was alot of people waiting for her.
The second day she didn't want to sign any autographs again and she said again after her match. But after her match her coach said that she will no be signing anything because Monica got a blister on her hand. The people were asking themselves "what happend to the friendly monica?"

And Sandrine Testud is very friendly too i love that girl. As for the Williams sister The one i like the most is Serena because she actually stop to sign my picture and said "i look pretty good huh?" and then i asked Venus, but she just kept on walking.

tinkerbell
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:02 AM
HI Iroda
i must say i not too impressed with Monica especially after the little girl waited as well & it certainly wouldn't have hurt to sign but hey its her choice.
Serena ahas always come across as being quite friendly to me - i saw her at Eastbourne a couple of years ago but Venus always looks standoffish

Andre@
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Iroda is really nice and Likhotseva is the best for me.

martina is nice

The worst Monica and Chanda

treufreund
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:14 AM
RAINER SCHUETTLER gives out HUGS!!!!! HE IS SOOOO CUTE! I love Rainer. Please give me a hug Raini. :D

Iroda_Fan
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:49 AM
For the guys is a whole different story. They are all very nice

Alex Corretja is the nicest man i love that guy
Marat Safin took a picture with me and he had no shirt on WOW
Todd Martin was nice
Dominik harbaty
Tommy Hass
Magnus Norman

The guys are really nice

But the one that was rude was
Carlos Moya i ask him if i could took a picture with him at indian wells and he said "hurry up" and kind off rolling his eyes at me. So i just said never mind and walked off.
And I agree some of the guys are very friendly and they hugs you i love that.

I agree Livhotseva is a sweet heart.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Danilidou, Frazier, Myskina, Granville sign autographs win or lose. They might show their disappointment, but they are still friendly.

I never thought Testud was particularly nice

Chladkova, Stevenson=BITCH!

Vivi is nice, just a little shy cuz her english is not great.

Davenport, Seles, Pierce, Navrat, Coetzer are great..they are so cute when the little girls ask for autographs;)

Likhovtseva, Tammy, Cory Ann Avants are SO SWEET!

Bea Bielik is OK...not too much patience with a ton of autograph seekers, but maybe she is not used to it

Berlin_Calling
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Iva Majoli was so nice. I had a little convo with her, very pleasant, and very sweet. :hearts:
Francesca Schiavone was very cool. She was surprised I knew her and that i knew she had gotten to the Roland garros qrts in 2001. Shes like "Bravo!" and gave a an autograph.
Marta Marrero is a beautiful girl. She couldnt really speak any english but she just smiled when she gave me my autograph.
Arantxa gave me an autograph but she was busy so I didnt really get to talk to her :(.
Jennifer was very nice, smiling all the time.
Iroda was cool too :).

Vincent
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:15 AM
aww, i love these story!:)

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:28 AM
I met Sandrine Testud at Sydney :hearts: She was SOO nice to me! :D

Tina Krizan was bitch to me when I asked her for autograph but Katarina Strebotnik forced her to signed it for me! :D LOL!

Benny
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Players that are nice:

Tammy
Kim
Arantxa
Amelie
Alex Stevenson was ok
Mark Philoppoussis
Wayne Arthurs

Players that aren't nice in my experiances:

Andy RodDICK - :rolleyes: He finished his practice session and told all us kids that he had to go practice more and he walked straight off court.

Lol thats about it, most players are nice and will sign for you:).

irma
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM
I heard good stories about all players and stories about all players. I still don't think that's a prove that a player is nice. I mean being nice to fans might also be because it helps the person's ego to get bigger!

I often hear good things about kimmy, but in real life she might be a real bitch who hits her dog;) (j/k)

CamilleVidann
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Ai is a nice person. I'm sure she is because we went to the same high school and she always came across as a nice girl. we were in different grades so I never talked with her personally though I saw her in school now and then. She was always smiling at her friends.

butch
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Met Amanda a couple of times (3 times here in SA and at Wimbledon last year). She has always been very friendly. Heard from a friend at Wimbledon last year that she wasn't giving any autographs, but after her 1st round match she signed my SA flag.

Jennifer was very friendly at Wimbledon as well. saw her the morning when she had to go back for the 3rd set of her 4th rounder. She smiled at me. And signed my flag. Have a pretty nice picture of her, will try and post it her someday.

Panova and Dokic were real bitches. I stood right next to Dokic, realized it was she, and asked for her autograph. She just ignored me. Panova did dign my flag, but she was so sour. Must say that that Dokic experience convinced me to NEVER support her again.

Rubin was also very rude. She and Anna were walking back from Court 2 where they had a doubles match (think it was the 2nd Tuesday), I walked next to Chanda and she IGNORED my request for an autograph. I thought to myself - How rude.

Monica signed my flag after her 1st rounder (she beat Eva Bes 6-0 6-0). When I thanked her, she said: "You're welcome". How nice. The morning of her QF against Henin I was watching her practice. Afterwards as she walked to the players complex, I shouted: Monica, Monica. She just continued talking to her coach. Then I shouted again: Monica, Monica! And she looked up... and smiled at me. I big radiant smile (maybe trying to tell me that she heard me the 1st time!). A real lady.

Wayne Ferreira was also always very friendly. Saw him a couple of times at Wimbledon, he also signed my flag.

Serena ignored everybody's requests for autographs. She just smiled. The most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

Pete was arrogant, as usual.

Lleyton Hewitt - eventhough he signed my flag, his whole attitude was really rotten and unfriendly. Just can't stand them Aussies.

Greg Rusedski was really friendly and humble. We shared a laugh, because at that stage no SA players had yet signed my flag. Panova was first, and Greg was second.

Lisa Raymond ignored everybody. So did Mary Pierce (but that was after she had lost her singles match having led by a set and a break). Later heard from people that she was very friendly a couple of days later and gave autographs to all who asked.

A lot depends on the mood of the players. I mean, Mary ignored me after her loss, but Amanda signed a t-shirt of mine after she and Lori lost their doubles match! Mauesmo signed my flag after a practice session of hers (she didn't have a match that day, so she took the time to hand out autographs). Pete and Lleyton were in similiar situations (didn't have matches that day) and ignored everybody (Lleyton only gave about 5 autographs and then said "I'm going to continue walking").

Daja Bedanova and Elena dementieva were really friendly when I asked for their autographs. Kournikova just ignored everybody.

Caz
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:29 PM
I forgot to mention Paola Suarez. I've never met her personally, but I know some people who are big fans of hers and she has been nothing but fantastic to them.

tinkerbell
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM
what's the story with Pete is he really that nasty?

Hewitt225
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:31 PM
this may sound really weird but ok I met kournikova last year at stanford and there weren't a lot of people around and she was really nice and talked to me for a couple seconds and got a picture and everything ....i know shes a bitch to a lot of people but she was really friendly towards me.

Serena was really nice and jen was ok.

For the guys, Tim Henman was one of the nicest people i've met but he was shy, but he was real cool....xavier malisse was cool and andy roddick was a douche

Becool
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Nice stories everyone :)

Bigkimfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Kim is very nice off court!!;)