PDA

View Full Version : Capriati promises she can be the best

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Capriati promises she can be the best
Febuary 15 2003
By A Sports Reporter
Gulf News

Capriati receives flowers from El Sibai on her arrival in Dubai.
It's no vain brag or boast. World No. 7 Jennifer Capriati has issued a veiled threat to be there among the best as the Sanex WTA Tour progresses this year.

"I can beat anybody," Capriati said after alighting from a long Lufthansa flight at the Dubai Airport late last night.

"I don't think anyone is unbeatable on the Tour," Capriati stated in reply to a question on the oft-admired invincibility of the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena.

"I just worry about my game. I concentrate on how I am progressing in every event that I participate," she smiled.

A first time visitor to Dubai for the Dubai Duty Free-sponsored Women's Open, Capriati has a point to prove here. She's done it before during her illustrious career, winning the Australian Open and the French Open in 2001.

"I believe in concentrating on my personal performance as there are other good players in this tournament as well," she stated in reply to whether she would reserve any special attention for Venus Williams here.

"My aim definitely would be to take them on one by one. That's the goal, play them one by one and see how I am progressing," Capriati nodded.

"But I need to be consistent and I hope to find this consistency here so that I can carry it onward on the Tour," she added.

The Dubai Duty Free Women's Open has attracted possibly one of the strongest field in the three-year history of this competition. With World No. 2 Venus Williams occupying the top slot, serious contenders for the title this year include Capriati, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Monica Seles.

"I've heard so much about this place and all the excitement that goes with it. I needed to play in a tournament with a strong field and so I chose Dubai," she smiled.

"I think this tournament is going to be a good preparation for the others coming up in the near future... it's going to get hotter on the tour," Capriati said.

Capriati was received at the Dubai Airport by Sinead El Sibai of tournament owners and organisers, Dubai Duty Free.

Another top player to arrive yesterday was fellow countrywoman Monica Seles, who flew in with her mother. Seles had a workout at the courts yesterday.

MLF
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Good to see she's feeling positive. The sport is more fun when all the girls are stepping up with their top games.

BasicTennis
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Promises are made to be broken but it's good to see her confident like this.;)

After being trashed in the first round at Oz Open, she was given enough time to prepare for the Dubai Open.:rolleyes: No more excuses this time huh!:worship:

Chance
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:50 AM
I'm beginning to doubt that Monica has a coach. Bring Back Mike

Good attitude Cappy has. Though I don't have any tv coverage of this it would be interesting to have a Venus and Jen Cap final....it's been so long since they've played

Gowza
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM
i hope she can get a grand slam this year and prove that she still has what it takes to take on the williams sisters. but i will have to wait and see her performance in this tournament before i put any expectations on her.

Chance
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM
omg what was I thinking make that semi---not final

Monica and Venus final

DiZZiA
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Keep this attitude and bring ur best, Jenny!!!

I miss your challenge against the Williams!!!

BasicTennis
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
[b]"I can beat anybody," Capriati said after alighting from a long Lufthansa flight at the Dubai Airport late last night.

This should serve as a stern warning to her first round opponent.;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
This should serve as a stern warning to her first round opponent.;)

considering she's been out of the second round 3 times since the US Open, I agree.

Again 3-6 since the Open people. I hope she has her game back. The good news? She's not the 2 time defending champ, so a first round exit wouldn't be history :rolleyes:

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DiZZiA
Keep this attitude and bring ur best, Jenny!!!

I miss your challenge against the Williams!!!

When did she stop Challenging Serena? All there matches are close?

Venus is another story, but they also haven't played in a year and a half

BasicTennis
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:17 AM
considering she's been out of the second round 3 times since the US Open, I agree.

Again 3-6 since the Open people. I hope she has her game back. The good news? She's not the 2 time defending champ, so a first round exit wouldn't be history :rolleyes:

another first round defeat could mean consistency then.:kiss:

jay_k
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Basic Tennis , You as a Serena fan sound just a little apprehensive about Jennifer (and her future plans). Is that because you know she can beat Serena (unlike most of the other top players )?

Experimentee
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM
When did she stop Challenging Serena? All there matches are close?

Venus is another story, but they also haven't played in a year and a half

I dont consider it a challenge if she loses to Serena, five times in a row. If you lose that many times its not really a challenge no matter how close the matches are. If she won even once last year i'd consider her a challenge, but not until she does get a win. Kim is currently more of a challenge because at least she has won recently.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Jen's right that 1) nobody's unbeatable, and 2) she CAN beat anybody. OK, confidence is great. BUT, dear Jen, the real question is are you likely to, not just when you're on and (let's say a certain ex-blonde) is off. (Like, er, your erratic service toss...)? PLUS, while what she said is true, many others can beat her, too. One normally dosen't see many times a top 10 player loses to ones in the 40's, 50's, etc. :confused:

JenCpLvr
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:14 PM
YEAH JENNIFER!!!! I love the positivity!!!! :kiss: :kiss:

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:22 PM
"I can't beat anybody," Capriati said after alighting from a long Lufthansa flight at the Dubai Airport late last night.

harloo
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:34 PM
LOL. Cap is at it again. tennislove is right though, hasn't she always challenged Serena? I still say if Serena is on, and Jen is on Ree will still win. However, I think Jen can still beat Rena. Everyone is beatable.

Now as far as Vee, I guess we will have to look at the h2h on that one. Whatever Jenny! LOL:D

Shuji Shuriken
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Glad to see Jen has such a positive attitude. I hope she gets her act together. I'm certain if Venus had said this, she would have been labelled as cocky or arrogant (I couldn't help it...I'm a sore bitter old man :rolleyes:)

harloo
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bonkers186
Glad to see Jen has such a positive attitude. I hope you gets her act together. I'm certain if Venus had said this, she would have been labelled as cocky or arrogant (I couldn't help it...I'm a sore bitter old man :rolleyes:)

Now bonkers you ain't lying about that one. And people on this board would of had a heart attack if Rena said this. LOL. Goes to show you how things change when it comes to a certain group.:rolleyes:

maccardel
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM
I was once told by a mentor who was instructing on facing some of life's biggest challenges:

"you should always have a positive attitude, cos when you are done and out of the race, a positive attitude will be all you have" there you go...

It's good to have a positive attitude but I think the approach should be more like Daniela's who acknowledges that the player is in a different league and you just have to try your best when you go out there.

Let's add some reality to the mix already.

Shane54
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Jennifer I am really disappointed in you! How dare you display confidence in your game. Don't you know when you are knocked down you are supposed to stay down. Only the Williams sisters I believe need to and should be allowed to be confident. Haven't you had enough of those 6-1, 6-1 beatings by Serena.!

harloo
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Shane54
Jennifer I am really disappointed in you! How dare you display confidence in your game. Don't you know when you are knocked down you are supposed to stay down. Only the Williams sisters I believe need to and should be allowed to be confident. Haven't you had enough of those 6-1, 6-1 beatings by Serena.!

LOL. Haha! 6-1,6-1 is a bit over the top Shane. Don't ya think? LOL:D

Bright Red
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original quote of Jennifer Capriati
[b]"I can beat anybody,"

"I don't think anyone is unbeatable on the Tour,"

"I just worry about my game. I concentrate on how I am progressing in every event that I participate,"

"I believe in concentrating on my personal performance as there are other good players in this tournament as well,"

She has the right attitude. Momo should follow Jenn's lead.

JCAP
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM
All i can say is let your racket do all the talking Jen!! Go kick some ass!!

Shane54
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:58 PM
LOL ;) @ harloo. I know I was trying to make a point with that 6-1, 6-1 thing. But you would think from the way the anti-Caps talk that is the way Serena beats her.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM
As stated in a thread about hardest working players, Jen worked hard the last 2 plus years, but IMO not smart. After Harold told her to take a hike because she just HAD TO match junk food consumed with then boyfriend Malisse (obviously someone with a fast metabolism), she effectively said "Stefano4eva". Daddy may have done a great job with her ground game, but the serve toss is terribly random. That's why Jen often has a max. first serve of 110 or so, but an average around 90. If the toss is good, she'll smoke it, if not just punch it into the box. So a positive attitude is great. But coupled with the "I want my Daddy" attitude towards coaching, it won't reverse things like Serena, Momo (and, OMG, Alex?) owning her.

CapFan#1
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Great attitude from Jenny! Confident but respectful of the other strong players on the tour. "I believe in concentrating on my personal performance as there are other good players in this tournament as well," OK Williams fans, what was she suppossed to do-- say I lost a couple of matches so now I am shit and I will be happy to win just 1 match. Give me a fucking break. Sounds like she's been working hard at her game, and has a good attitude about it! I do think her close matches with Serena was about the mental game and when she beat Serena 4 times in a row it was because she was positive and believed she could win!

Here's to the return of Jen's great positive attitude and another winning season. Go get em Jen!!!!!!!

Shuji Shuriken
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:19 PM
MY point was that it's great for Jen to have a positive attitude. She SHOULD have a positive attitude. But had Venus or Serena said such a thing, they would have been seen as cocky or arrogant. And that I don't understand. When they say that, it's arrogance. But when others say the same thing, it's confidence. WTF? I like when Venus and Serena make confident statements, and other players like Jen should be making confident statements to keep their morales up. But V ans S shoudn't have to take shit for what they say, when others don't take shit for the same thing. Kick ass Venus!!! You're my Queen forever :hearts: :kiss:. Wish yuh the best Jen.

Weevee
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Good Luck Jennifer. My advice is to win more and talk less.

CapFan#1
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:26 PM
I have never really heard Venus be cocky - Serena on the other hand can, at times - not all the time- but at times, be over the top with cockiness. Rena would have said she can beat anybody, and that's it - nothing about the other players being good, etc... And let's not even mention Richard. Unfortunately, I think both V & S get a bad rap from his behavior. People always kick the shit out of Jen on this board, and I guess I am just tired of it.

GOOD LUCK JEN! KICK SOME ASS!

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Jen needs to stop doing coke.

CapFan#1
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:33 PM
FUCK OFF! Let it go. Jen doesn't do coke you ass hole! GROW UP!

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:41 PM
*hoping Jen is gonna kick ass next week!!*:bounce: :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

JCAP
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Lets go pcornille you tell them! I cant believe some AHOLES still bring that shit up! I mean come on that is not even funny anymore!!

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:56 PM
What did I wander into the Jenn's Den forum by mistake? :confused: Is anyone else who posted perhaps capable of even analyzing the question of how far a positive attitude goes, the mechanics of her serve, "working hard vs. working smart", etc.? (And this was NOT started as a "Cheering Thread", but a report about something she said to the media).

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yes i am capable of both analysis and serious disscution rd878, but right now when it comes to Jennifer my tounge is too far up her................to b able to think or speak straight!!:lick: what was the question again?!:confused:

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by pcornille
FUCK OFF! Let it go. Jen doesn't do coke you ass hole! GROW UP!

Actually I did coke with jen and her brother her brother's gf and my friend stacey who all go to school in arizona at a bar called Eden in NYC between 5th and 6th on 22nd during the us open. And ASSHOLE two days later she was in the Daily News and a picture had her topless dancing around the bar.

Yes you are gonna say that I am lying but I need to defend myself. I don't make shit up.

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I have nothing against Jen, but my story is true...and just look at her results since the us open. I know you are not going to believe me but it's true. And i wouldn't be surprised if the reason why she was doing it(might not still be doing it) is her Brother.

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:27 PM
TOPLESS??!!!:lick: :lick: :drool: :drool: :drool: U mean the pics in her black bra or r there mor i should know about?!!

Leena
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Heh... I love this cockiness from Jenny.

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:33 PM
No no just the bra..she didn't go all the way.

Jennifer's wife
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Leena
Heh... I love this cockiness from Jenny.

why thanku Leena, its so nice to b appreciated!:)

and thanku for putting my mind at rest tennisstud! those would b the pics i already hav after goin thru the paper recycling plant after dark back in september last year!!!:o :p

1jackson2001
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Of course she can be at the top and among the best. She just needs to get back some consistent results again.