PDA

View Full Version : Madonna grants Canadian girl's dying wish :(

Aphrodite
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Madonna grants Canadian girl's dying wish
Thu Feb 13,10:07 AM ET

WINDSOR, Ontario - What began with Madonna (news - web sites) granting a dying teen's wish blossomed into a friendship between the pop music star and the aspiring actress-dancer.

Kerri Yascheshyn, 17, from this Canadian border city, died of liver cancer Sunday. Madonna had been calling her daily since late January, chatting about everything from dancing to the afterlife, The Windsor Star reported Wednesday.

The first call had been arranged by the Children's Wish Foundation, but Madonna kept in touch. She sent the teen books and a case of what she called "healing water."

Madonna's mother, died of cancer in 1963.

"Madonna was very positive and encouraged Kerri to pray," said Kerri's mother, Gail Yascheshyn. "She kept telling her not to be negative, and would call whenever she thought about Kerri, sometimes from her cell phone."

The calls meant a great deal to the teen, who had a virulent but rare form of liver cancer, her family said.

HOW sad:(
Good for Madge:)
that was sweet
but the girl was only 17:(

Aphrodite
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Here is another madonna article concerned about deep issues of the war

Entertainment - Variety Celebrity/Gossip

Madonna Says She's Pro-Peace, Not Anti-American
Fri Feb 14, 6:12 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Madonna (news - web sites) may be anti-war, but don't call her anti-American.

Reuters Photo

Reuters
Slideshow: Madonna

The Michigan-born Material Girl, who made headlines with reports that a music video for her latest song, "American Life," carries a strong anti-war message, said it should not be interpreted as critical of her homeland or President Bush (news - web sites). "I feel lucky to be an American citizen for many reasons, one of which is the right to express myself freely," Madonna said in a statement on her Web site (www.madonna.com).

"I am not anti-Bush. I am not pro-Iraq," she said. "I am pro-peace. I have written a song and created a video which expresses my feelings about our culture and values and illusions of what many people believe is the American dream -- the perfect life."

The 44-year-old entertainer added that she hopes the video will provoke "thought and dialogue" and does not expect everyone to agree with her point of view.

"I am grateful to have the freedom to express these feelings and that's how I honor my country," she said.

According to Madonna's spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, the video opens at a fashion show then "escalates into a mad frenzy depicting the catastrophic repercussions and horror of war."

Hollywood celebrities have lined up to oppose a threatened war with Iraq and many of them, including actors George Clooney (news), Ed Harris (news) and Dustin Hoffman (news) as well as director Spike Lee (news), have slammed Bush.

Madonna's ex-husband, Sean Penn (news), visited Iraq on his own "fact-finding" mission and said after returning that the Bush administration was "misguided."

Wow Madonna is really shining:) in my eyes

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:33 AM
good on ya madonna :)

shirley
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Good on you Madonna. That is so sweet :)

I've read in one of my Madonna books that she and Guy visit sick kids in hospital and they take them pressies and things but she doesn't make it public.

schris
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:46 AM
I love you Maddy :kiss:

King Aaron
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Good on her! :sad: For Kerri.

Evey
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Good on Madonna :)
:sad: for Kerri

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Madonna :worship:

sorry to hear about that girl :sad:

Keith
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:11 PM
That is such a touchign story...Im sure those calls meant the world to that girl. Madge is great!

Aphrodite
Feb 16th, 2003, 07:03 AM
I agree:)

Dawn Marie
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Classy Madonna rules.

Feel sad for her parents and family I am sure the teen is in a good place.

Eddie
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Kerri :sad:

Madonna:worship:

treufreund
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Madonna :angel:

mboyle
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:03 PM
"Madonna's new song" You mean Madonna's computer's new song:o !

Barrie_Dude
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM
And here I had hopes that Madonna pushed Britney Spears off the Empire State Building!