PDA

View Full Version : Now this I have to object to (NFL)

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:09 AM
NFL investigating whether Lions followed minority guidelines
Feb. 14, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The NFL's diversity committee is expected to ask the Detroit Lions about their hiring of coach Steve Mariucci and whether they adequately considered minority candidates.

Advertisement

After the Lions hired Mariucci this month, committee chairman and Pittsburgh Steelers president Dan Rooney said the club's process "fell short" of committee guidelines.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran Jr. criticized the Lions for not seriously interviewing at least one minority candidate.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Friday that the diversity committee will meet the first week of March in Palm Beach, Fla., as part of a series of scheduled league committee meetings. He declined to comment further.

Phone messages left at the Lions' team offices Friday were not returned immediately.

The league's committee on workplace diversity drafted the hiring policy in December. The league hasn't said what the punishment might be for a team that fails to adhere to the new guidelines.

I am glad the NFL has made guidelines to help reverse the discrimination in their hiring practices, but they need to use common sense. Mariucci is a great coach, and its been proven. When he became available, Detroit jumped on him. Anyone, white or black, who interviewed for the position was not going to get the job so long as Mariucci wanted it. And I don't think they did interview anyone else. Why bring in Ted Cottrel or Dennis Green just for some patronizing show? To me, they should admit the policy needs tweaking rather than punish the Lions. Make it if more than one candidate is interviewed, one has to be black.

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Mariucci was the best coach out there, I don't see what the problem is, but I guess you have to follow the rules :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Funny, cause I just watched a good program on this very issue last week. Jesse Jackson was there and Eddie George and a few others. I think there is more to this story and they probably broke speciefic guidelines.