PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here watch "Keeping Up Apperances" -- England or BBCA?


VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I just love this show and watch it on BBCA whenever I see it's on :D

Hyacinth is my hero!!!!! :bounce:

Chance
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:37 AM
My dad loves the show
I feel sorry for Richard....I don't think there are any new episodes

BTW did you know Hyacinth was in To Sir with Love

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:43 AM
for real? I'll have to check that out. She is hilarious!

:sad: no new episodes? It's classic :D

Are you from England or America?

Kiwi_Boy
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:54 AM
i used to watch that as a kid,and i still watch it whenever they show repeats,its quite funny! :D

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:06 AM
when u say, "when i was a kid" how long ago was that?

I can't believe the show's over....I thought I was watching new ones.

Richie77
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:26 AM
I love that show! It's on my local PBS station on Saturday nights.
Hyacinth is one of the best TV characters ever! :D

"The Bou-KAYYYYY residence, the lady of the house speaking!" :)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM
"B - U - C - K - E - T...................yes, I'd like to speak to the Prime Minister please......."


LOL, glad I have a fellow freak fan Richie ;)

tia clara
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:41 AM
VSFan, I love that show too. I've been watching it for a long time, on PBS in Maine and Maryland and now on BBCA. Poor darling Richard, how has he managed not to strangle Hyacinth, I don't know. Onslow, Daisy , Rose, poor Elizabeth, they are all such such nice people to put up with Hyacinth.

Don't you wonder what Sheridan is like?

:D :D :D :D

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:43 AM
I bet he's like a drunkard or druggie that has dropped out of school.....

I wish I was Hyacinth's son :)



j/k ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:45 AM
oh, i love daisy too. her character is so geniuine, i love it. especially her admiration for that slob, onslow.




LOL, "Elizabeth......come inside for some tea."

Elizabeth: "Now Hyacinth?"

Hyacinth: "Yes, now, come on."

Elizabeth: Sigh, followed by nervous walk



classic ;)

geewhiz
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
when u say, "when i was a kid" how long ago was that?

I can't believe the show's over....I thought I was watching new ones.

:eek: they stopped making it in 1995 in the UK!
(the last ever one made was in 1997 and, I think, was made especially for the USA)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:15 AM
1997? wow, i didn't start watching it until 2000

geewhiz
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:18 AM
and 1997 was only a one-off special of edited bits, so really it was 1995

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:24 AM
oh well....guess i will have to live in the past so my life will feel complete then ;)

DutchieGirl
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:21 AM
I watch it sometimes. We get re-runs here. Dad being a pommy and all, likes to watch the pommy shows. So I occasionally bother to watch it if he has it on (and I'm not on here) ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:22 AM
pfff ;) it's the best show on tv!

gentenaire
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Poor old Richard. I remember the episode where he's retiring, when he realised he'd be with Hyacinth every single minute of the day.

Do you get Allo Allo in the US?

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:16 AM
I used to watch it when it was on on Australian TV. It was hilarious! :D But they've taken it off now :(

BCP
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I used to love that show. However, I find that the jokes are a bit repetitive from episode to episode.

It's also a bit of a case of art imitating life. My mother is Hyacynth personified. She looks a little like Imelda Marcos, so our nickname for mum is Imelda Bucket (poor mum!), my boyfriend and I are Sheridan and Tarquin, and my dad is poor old Richard. No wonder I turned out gay;)

Monica_Rules
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I used to watch this when it was on UK televisiob about 4/5 years ago.At the moment they are showing repeats of it on sunday afternoon.

My 2 fav comedies from when i was younger was the britas empire and next of kin

Chance
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
for real? I'll have to check that out. She is hilarious!

:sad: no new episodes? It's classic :D

Are you from England or America?

Are there only 2 countries in this world ;) :D

I'm from Australia.

btw (again) the first Rose in real life died of a heart attack and was replaced.


Have you seen Elizabeth's brother yet or the rare vicar appearances who I thought was a cutie.
Enjoy it while it lasts

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:01 PM
LOL, the episode with Richard retiring was just on.......fucking hilarious!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BCP
I used to love that show. However, I find that the jokes are a bit repetitive from episode to episode.

It's also a bit of a case of art imitating life. My mother is Hyacynth personified. She looks a little like Imelda Marcos, so our nickname for mum is Imelda Bucket (poor mum!), my boyfriend and I are Sheridan and Tarquin, and my dad is poor old Richard. No wonder I turned out gay;)


IMELDA and HYACINTH???

:faints:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sunset
Are there only 2 countries in this world ;) :D

I'm from Australia.

btw (again) the first Rose in real life died of a heart attack and was replaced.


Have you seen Elizabeth's brother yet or the rare vicar appearances who I thought was a cutie.
Enjoy it while it lasts


LOL, Elizabeth's brother is so gay!

rare vicar? what is that?

Richie77
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:55 AM
The supporting cast is just as funny as Hyacinth. My favorite one is Onslow ("I'm sittin' 'ere completely surrounded by no beer!").

BCP, I've never had the impression that Emmett (Elizabeth's brother) was gay...but I suppose it's possible. Now Sheridan is DEFINITELY gay. I once looked up "KUA" on Jump the Shark.com, and someone said "How come Hyacinth never figured out the 'special relationship' between Sheridan and Tarquin?"

My question is, what would Hyacinth do if she figured it out? ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Sheridan was really gay?

How cool is that? lol





If Hyacinth ever figured it out....I'm sure "This is our most delightful son who works for the Prime Minisister, Sheridan with his personal assistant whom he needs all the time every day."

JonBcn
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:40 AM
I think I'm right in saying the guy who played Onslow died a while back, poor bloke. He's been in many programmes over the years.

I never liked KUAs too much...it was funny at first but if you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:59 AM
KUAs?



onslow seemed pretty unhealthy....he was hilarious

raquel
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by JonBcn
I think I'm right in saying the guy who played Onslow died a while back, poor bloke. He's been in many programmes over the years.

I never liked KUAs too much...it was funny at first but if you've seen one episode you've seen them all.

No the guy who plays Onslow is definitely alive! He is on a show in the UK called Heartbeat now.

brickhousesupporter
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:10 AM
What is your favorite episode Joshua.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Yeah raquel's right, I'm sure I have seen him somewhere :confused: That was regarding "Onslow"

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:28 PM
LONG LIVE ONSLOW!!!!!!!!! :D



hmmm......my favorite show....probably the one where Hyacinth wants to by a summer cottage or something like it and she and Richard go to the countryside to look at cottages and she ends up wanting to by this humongous house!

see - she's just like me.....always have to have the biggest and best :)

gorecki
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
anyone for piano recitals and candle-lit suppers?

hehehe...!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Could you imagine being invited to one of her suppers?

How magnificent ;)

JonBcn
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by raquel
No the guy who plays Onslow is definitely alive! He is on a show in the UK called Heartbeat now.

lol, I've been all day trying to think who it was that died then...could it be the guy from 2.4 Children? It was a fat male main character in a BBC sitcom, I know that much...:o

Halardfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:38 PM
I think the show had its moments, and the cenrtal performance was always outstanding...

But for me a similar BBC show, 'One Foot in the Grave', was much superior...utter genius.

But such talk is probably sacrilige amongst die hard Hyacinth fans, so Ill make a swift exit... :) ;)

geewhiz
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by JonBcn
lol, I've been all day trying to think who it was that died then...could it be the guy from 2.4 Children? It was a fat male main character in a BBC sitcom, I know that much...:o

Well the guy from 2.4 children is dead...

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ba
I think the show had its moments, and the cenrtal performance was always outstanding...

But for me a similar BBC show, 'One Foot in the Grave', was much superior...utter genius.

But such talk is probably sacrilige amongst die hard Hyacinth fans, so Ill make a swift exit... :) ;)

:fiery:

don't ge me started talking about julie and tauziat

:fiery:

;)

Caz
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Yes, I used to watch this programme when I was a child and I watch it now whenever I see that re-runs are on. I love it! It's a classic!

"Good afternoon. Lady of the house speaking."

"No, no, not Bucket, Bouquet"

"Yes, Bouquet.....B.U.C.K.E.T" :D

Josh
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Ah good ol' Hyacinth with her great oneliners :

"I always think you can tell a gentleman by the way he honks his horn."
"I think Richard and I are the perfect pair. I can't think of a couple I admire more."
"People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are."
"I cannot abide people who run around making a meal out of their little social triumphs."

Hehe, it was funny, even the numerous re-runs can give me a chuckle sometimes.

potty
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:50 AM
H "Riccchhhhaarrdd mind the Cow dear""

R "it's in the field"

brickhousesupporter
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
My favorite episode is the one where she was planning a water side picnic with riparian entertainment.

DutchieGirl
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Beggin' Beguine
Poor old Richard. I remember the episode where he's retiring, when he realised he'd be with Hyacinth every single minute of the day.

Do you get Allo Allo in the US?

ooh! Allo Allo! Another of my Dad's faves, but that hasn't been on here for ages!

We only really get The Bill now!

Richie77
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Josh
Ah good ol' Hyacinth with her great oneliners :

"People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are."


I heard this line last night!! Classic Hyacinth.

Halardfan
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:27 AM
VS fan...don't go there! :D ;) I don't want things to go all Jerry Springer on me again! ;) What would a typical days viewing on BBCA consist of?

Yes, I know from before that Allo Allo is very big in Belgium... :)

Which might tell you something about Belgium...:eek: ;) (Joking!)

I repeat though, that I did like the slighly Halardesque resistence girl in Allo Allo... :) Its the accent... :)

selesfan1
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Does anyone else think that Richard would be happy with Elizabeth.

IT'S MY SISTER VIOLET THE ONE WITH A SAUNA , A MERCEDES AD ROOM FOR A PONY

Barrie_Dude
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:50 PM
We watch it on this side of the pond as well!;) :rolleyes:

irma
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I liked it the first time but they keep repeating it!

Kiwi_Boy
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM
One of My favorite ever episodes was the one where the "buckets" went on a cruise on the QEII and found out that onslow and his wife were also onboard and she tought that they were stowaways but turns out they won a competition and were getting treated better than hyacinth herself!.....lol :D

p/s ok it's totaly a different type of british program but has anyone seen "Gimme Gimme Gimme"????:D

gentenaire
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Pff, Chris :p Allo Allo is pure brilliance!

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:54 PM
:D Classic show! agreeing with Tine about Allo Allo too :D

The Crow
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by sunset
btw (again) the first Rose in real life died of a heart attack and was replaced.


Oh I didn't know this. Always wondered why she was replaced so soon :sad:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Josh
Ah good ol' Hyacinth with her great oneliners :

"I always think you can tell a gentleman by the way he honks his horn."
"I think Richard and I are the perfect pair. I can't think of a couple I admire more."
"People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are."
"I cannot abide people who run around making a meal out of their little social triumphs."

Hehe, it was funny, even the numerous re-runs can give me a chuckle sometimes.

OMG.....this is exactly why I love this woman - she speaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!! :D


For real, though, I think we all have a little Hyacinth in us ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Chris Ba
VS fan...don't go there! :D ;) I don't want things to go all Jerry Springer on me again! ;) What would a typical days viewing on BBCA consist of?




Chris (you may call me Joshua ;) ) I was buffing when I threatened to use Julie H-D. How could I ever do something that would be so blasphemous! ;)


Actually, on BBCA I have seen that show where people leave and then others come in and decorate the house. There is now an American version of that show on another channel.

Also, So Graham Norton is on at night. I love that show ;)

Eastenders is always on....I've tried to get into it, but I just can't understand the basis of the soap opera.


At like 3 AM on the regular network BBC News America comes on for about 2 hours. If I'm up then it's because I'm sick. But it is pretty interesting hearing about news from an international standpoint.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by selesfan1
Does anyone else think that Richard would be happy with Elizabeth.

IT'S MY SISTER VIOLET THE ONE WITH A SAUNA , A MERCEDES AD ROOM FOR A PONY

I think Richard wouldn't know what to think of life without Hyacinth.......well, who could? ;)

Josh
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by jonathan_crane
My favourite episode, well I can't remember them all, but I liked the one with the barbecue when she gets them all singing, then throws the bucket of sh*t all over the food when there is a fire, thinking its water. Classic!

LMAO, that was so hilarious! Her face was just priceless! :)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:02 AM
LOL Jonathon.......as many times as this is on over here, I just assumed it was like one of the top British shows ever ;)

I guess the Americans are drawn to it somehow.

Richie77
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:29 AM
While we're on the subject of British comedy, has anyone ever watched "Are You Being Served?" It's been on the Indianapolis PBS station for years.

The main charactes are Captain Peacock, Mr. Humphries and Mrs. Slocombe, whose hair changes color with every episode. :)

Eddie
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:21 AM
It's out on DVD soon!!

Check out this link http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=2294

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Ha
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:49 PM
I've had BBC America for a couple of years now, but I've just started getting into KUA. Hyacinth's facial expressions alone crack me up. And of course the classic oneliners people have already mentioned.

Someone mentioned Gimme, Gimme, Gimme...they started airing that here a few months ago, but I haven't seen it on lately. Are they still making episodes of that? I really like Kathy Burke...I was surprised by how much weight she's gained since her AbFab days. The show's funny, but it's WAY over the top!

BBCA shows a lot of AbFAb, KUA, Father Ted, Black Adder, Changing Rooms, Ground Force, What Not To Wear, So Graham Norton and they used to show the Vicar of Dibley, but I haven't seen that on in ages.