PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova out of Memphis!

tennisIlove09
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Kournikova sidelined with bad back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Anna Kournikova, bothered by back problems, withdrew from next week's Kroger St. Jude tournament on Thursday.

Kournikova injured her back in the Australian Open last month. Kournikova lost in the second round in Melbourne to Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Kournikova confirmed her withdrawal from the tournament on her Web site.

"My back sprain is improving, but I won't be in tournament competition for about the next three weeks," she said. "Unfortunately, this means that I won't be able to play in Memphis next week, which is very disappointing for me. It's a great tournament that has a wonderful charitable beneficiary in St. Jude. I wish them all the best for a really successful tournament week."

Kournikova will make an appearance to present a $30,000 check to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Kournikova had won a skills challenge at last year's U.S. Open and designated St. Jude as her charity.

"It is really disappointing that she can't play, but it's amazing that she's coming," tournament owner Mac Winker told The Commercial Appeal of Memphis. "I think that's really a wonderful showing of good faith."

Kournikova had been promoted heavily by tourney officials. Kournikova has not won a singles tournament since turning pro in 1995 but has been ranked in the top 10 on several occasions since November 2000.

E. Blackadder
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM
lol we posted it on the same time :p

SerenaSlam
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:24 PM
THE GURL IS PREGNANT, THUS WHY SHE IS HAVING SO MANY BACK PAINS, AND IS SITTING OUT "THE NEXT THREE WEEKS" SHE IS GIVING HERSELF TIME TO THINK OF WHAT SHE IS GOING TO NEED TO SAY TO THE PRESS AND MEDIA!....i thought she wasn't going to pull out? remeber this is what you all said, i insisted that she is pregnant and is going to pull out, but you all did not listen, so what is it now you will tell me?

decemberlove
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:42 PM
look up. the word gullible is on your ceiling.

no really. look. it's there. i promise.

Dawn Marie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:48 AM
What did they mean she has been ranked in the top ten on (several occasions) in 2000? Didn't she get to #8 for about a week then fall out to never return?

SerenaSlam
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
decemberlove...i really "don't understand this type of talk" you gon have ta get a lil ghetto on me folks, so i can undastand ya jus a lil mo aight? rite dare you's got's me's real confused dogg!

LeonHart
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by SerenaSlam
decemberlove...i really "don't understand this type of talk" you gon have ta get a lil ghetto on me folks, so i can undastand ya jus a lil mo aight? rite dare you's got's me's real confused dogg!

LoL.....keep trying.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:33 AM
THE GURL IS PREGNANT, THUS WHY SHE IS HAVING SO MANY BACK PAINS, AND IS SITTING OUT "THE NEXT THREE WEEKS" SHE IS GIVING HERSELF TIME TO THINK OF WHAT SHE IS GOING TO NEED TO SAY TO THE PRESS AND MEDIA!....i thought she wasn't going to pull out? remeber this is what you all said, i insisted that she is pregnant and is going to pull out, but you all did not listen, so what is it now you will tell me?

that you're a moron. and sad. that it's pathetic how you live your life hoping that Anna is pregnant just so you can be right. disgusting.

Experimentee
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
What did they mean she has been ranked in the top ten on (several occasions) in 2000? Didn't she get to #8 for about a week then fall out to never return?

Thats pretty much right. She spent most of her career ranked about 10-20, and then was #8 for a few weeks, then fell out of the top ten again. They like to hype up her achievements to promote her more.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Is the $30, 000 to St. Jude's money from her, or the event itself? And does anyone agree that if Anna "spontaneously" announced she was donating her own $150, 000 appearance fee (let's be honest, that's a modest sum to her) to St. Jude's and got a big embrace from Marlo Thomas, it would do wonders for her image?

wongqks
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Anna end the year in no. 8 in 2000, so it is more than a few weeks you guys are talking about :rolleyes:

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
Thats pretty much right. She spent most of her career ranked about 10-20, and then was #8 for a few weeks, then fell out of the top ten again. They like to hype up her achievements to promote her more.

Why don't you check your facts, before you open your mouth next time, of course unless you enjoy looking stupid all the time and I am not going to waste my time listing them either..
They hype her achievements now.. that's a new one :rolleyes:

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rd878
Is the $30, 000 to St. Jude's money from her, or the event itself? And does anyone agree that if Anna "spontaneously" announced she was donating her own $150, 000 appearance fee (let's be honest, that's a modest sum to her) to St. Jude's and got a big embrace from Marlo Thomas, it would do wonders for her image?

If you are so interested in where the $30,000 is coming from?? Perhaps if you little bit of reading you might find out.

Oh, do you really thinks she is going to be getting $150,000 (I don't know where that figure came from) when she aren't playing now.

Experimentee
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ajayares
Why don't you check your facts, before you open your mouth next time, of course unless you enjoy looking stupid all the time and I am not going to waste my time listing them either..
They hype her achievements now.. that's a new one :rolleyes:

How many separate times was she in the top ten and for how many weeks did she remain there?

victory1
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:51 PM
She has a lot on injury problems?

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
How many separate times was she in the top ten and for how many weeks did she remain there?

I am not going to do your work for you, if you think it was only a few weeks, then well it must have been :rolleyes:

But just to help you out a little, she was ranked #8 after the Chase Championships in November 2000 and believe it or not was still at #8 the week the seedings for the French open was done in 2001 (now that is the middle of May, even though she hadn't played since early Feb)

Now she wasn't #8 that whole period, but was up and until about March, then she dropped a few places, may have fallen to as low as 11th, but by Mid May she was at #8 again..

Now I am No expert in adding up :rolleyes:
But from Mid November to Mid May (all except for a week or 2 where she was at #11) that equals almost 6 mths in the top 10

Wow that's a surprise..

Edit: She was also ranked #10 in 1998 for 2 weeks too. (after Eastbourne)

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM
AJ, someone DID post in another thread that Anna will be getting the $150,000 2B there INSTEAD OF the $300,000 appearance fee she was going to get had she played. I assume the half payment if deemed "medically unable to play" was in her contract. And I don't know re. the $30,000 if she's only acting as a "presenter". Could I research it, sure. But I thought someone else might know. I'm not too proud to ask "the board" if anyone does. And (as I learned something from a reply to Bradshaw re. photo scanning), MAYBE a few other people would find the info of interest. BTW, I'm not saying Anna "owes" St. Jude's Hospital her appearance fee, only that it would be great PR for her (and help a good cause).

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Well I highly doubt she would have been getting $300,000 even if she did play, I mean it is a joint men's and women's event, so it aren't that there isn't any big names playing at all..

Anyway here is the info you are looking for..

While Kournikova will not play in Memphis - she had been scheduled to play Monday night - she will make an on-court tournament appearance to present a $30,000 check to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Kournikova had won a skills challenge at last year's U.S. Open and designated St. Jude as her charity.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks, AJ. Let me then "amend" the positive PR suggestion (as the 30K you mentioned was going to SOME charity, regardless of who won it): Let Anna "surprise" Marlo Thomas (the "acceptee", I guess) by announcing that she's matching it with 30K of her own. And, yes, I know she gives $ to charities, but you're talking 2 stars on TV news all "ova" with big PR benefits if "the point is well played". (Plus: this extra $ is "really, really, really" insignificant to a Spice Girl, and buys far more "currency of good will", IMO).

auntie janie
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I am surprised that ajayares thinks Anna's 6 months in the top 10 is a noteworthy achievement in a career spanning 7 years. The proportion of her career spent at those ranking heights is less than 8%.

But that 8% STILL gets a whole lot of ink compared to the other 92% of her career spent ranked below #10. LOL :D

ajayares
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by janie
I am surprised that ajayares thinks Anna's 6 months in the top 10 is a noteworthy achievement in a career spanning 7 years. The proportion of her career spent at those ranking heights is less than 8%.

But that 8% STILL gets a whole lot of ink compared to the other 92% of her career spent ranked below #10. LOL :D

You are so funny Janie, but what else I would expect from a stupid *****
Who the fuck said it was noteworthy, learn how to read first, I was answering a question in relation to her only been ranked in the top 10 once for a couple of weeks, but obviously that is too hard for you see, instead you like to turn it into something else that it isn't about..
Yeah well done, around of applause for janie :rolleyes:

ptkten
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:33 PM
what about all the other players that have never spent a WEEK in the top 10. And, I can't believe that people are complaining that they are promoting her TENNIS. Who cares, she was on and off in the top 10 that year and she IS the most talented player that would have been playing there so what is the problem with them promoting her tennis playing ability. I hate it when people are so hypocritical. The same people that preach about being classy are the same ones who make the same dumb posts over and over again about Anna bashing her. Give her a break. I know PLENTY of players that would not even make the trip to give that check to the St. Jude's foundation, so I think it's ridiculous that people still find a way to criticize that.

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:39 AM
I am glad to see that your ever-present light-hearted happiness has not deserted you, ajayares! ;)

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:46 AM
am surprised that ajayares thinks Anna's 6 months in the top 10 is a noteworthy achievement in a career spanning 7 years. The proportion of her career spent at those ranking heights is less than 8%.

again, someone managed to sound even more stupid than dawn marie. :rolleyes:

wongqks
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:50 AM
if you can use that calculator to figure how long Anna spent in top 10, maybe you can go and try to claculate how many % hs Serena spent in top 5, maybe you will find something less than 20% :rolleyes: and does that discredit Serena achievement? probably not

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Calculate what % of her career Serena has spent in the top 10. Also calculate what % of their careers Kim and Justine have spent in the top 10 and compare that to Anna. Then tell me it is meaningless. :rolleyes:

I only brought it up because Anna fans cannot stop repeating about her high of #8 all over this board ad nauseum, year after year, as if that is where she really belongs. Whe will they face the truth? That time was just a short blip in her career, an aberration, as this statistic shows. Anna spent FAR more time, years actually, at #11-#18 than she did in the top 10.

But actually I don't think the ranking is a big deal. As I said on another thread, it is the ability to beat the top players that really counts in tennis. And you have to go back a long, long time to find a time when Anna Kournikova was able to do that at all regularly. That is a more "discrediting" fact that any ranking calculation can ever be.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by janie
Calculate what % of her career Serena has spent in the top 10. Also calculate what % of their careers Kim and Justine have spent in the top 10 and compare that to Anna. Then tell me it is meaningless. :rolleyes:

I only brought it up because Anna fans cannot stop repeating about her high of #8 all over this board ad nauseum, year after year, as if that is where she really belongs. Whe will they face the truth? That time was just a short blip in her career, an aberration, as this statistic shows. Anna spent FAR more time, years actually, at #11-#18 than she did in the top 10.

But actually I don't think the ranking is a big deal. As I said on another thread, it is the ability to beat the top players that really counts in tennis. And you have to go back a long, long time to find a time when Anna Kournikova was able to do that at all regularly. That is a more "discrediting" fact that any ranking calculation can ever be.

then your post was irrelevant to the discussion. someone originally brought up a sarcastic remark, and she got the facts to prove how dumb that remark was. facts are facts, janie. if they don't count worthy enough for you then that's your problem.

Experimentee
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I still dont see how they get 'several times' out of twice in the space of 6 months. That was my original question and some of you are going off the topic.

auntie janie
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Excuse me, I think I am trying to point out the FACTS.

The fact is, over the course of her career Anna is no more a real top 10 player than she is a real #54 player. BOTH are aberrations. You have to look at how long a time a player spends at what level.

I brought up the "beating top players" issue ONLY to point out that I realize that RANKING ISN'T EVERYTHING.

ptkten
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:43 PM
ok, so she's usually only a top 20 player but of course they're going to hype her previous achievements. If Monica Seles was in the draw, does that mean that tournament directors can't say for example that they have a former # 1 player in their draw or something like that. Why does it matter if they hype her achievements, that's what tournament directors do to put people in seats.

Anna is a good and very marketable tennis player at the same time, get over it.