PDA

View Full Version : Who has the least mobility?

GoGoMaggie
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:26 PM
To fans of the players listed here, no offense but they are seriously slow on the court.

I listed three big names that I think have (had) serious problems with running. out of them whose footwork do you think is the worst?

by the way, I forgot to add Amy Frazier who's another player I think is very slow.

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I don't know, but these 3 are all "older players". Dani, still a teenager I believe, needs to improve hers alot, IMO.

E. Blackadder
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't call it footwork

i would rather call the poll 'less mobile', it's far more polite for these great champions!

graf630
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Monica has excellent footwork,she is just not very quick.
Lindsay's footwork could be better,but she runs with very heavy feet.
Gabbie,well she was very talented but very lazy

I agree with rd878,I think Dani needs to improve her footwork more than the others.

Chance
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Being slow doesn't mean you have bad footwork

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Hmm...usually with bad footwork you have horrible strokes because your feet don't go with your hands ;)

but out of this list, i think monica would be the slowest, but davenport is slow too, so it is hard to think.

but because they are slow, they have incredilbe strokes to make up for that weakness, especially davenport.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Monica Seles has the best footwork on tour. Are you sure you know what the term means?

Jordan.
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Worst footwork goes to Serena Williams

oggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Footwork refers to the positioning of the feet while striking the ball, and Monica is one of the best ever. I think that gogomaggie simply meant speed, in which case Monica would be the worst.

-Sonic-
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:49 AM
I haven't seen Gaby play :(

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Monica Seles has the best footwork on tour. Are you sure you know what the term means?

Quite franky, no. Would you mind teaching me what it means?

If Monika had the best footwork on the tour, how could she be damn so slow? What would be wrong with her? doesn't speed have a lot to do with footwork? maybe I'm confused by the term.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Footwork is the last few steps you take as you prepare to hit the ball. The idea is to get your body into optimal position at the correct time to strike the ball perfectly. Monica is masterful at this, as was Martina Hingis. Serena on the other hand, is fast enough to get to almost anything, but often hits off-balance due to poor footwork. This is one of the leading causes of Serena's unforced errors, and a reason why even aggressive players like Kim will try and play defensively against her.

ßcoene
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:05 AM
I agree Monica may not be the quickest player on tour, she has excellent footwork, she always makes small steps to be in a perfect position to hit the ball.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:21 AM
really? I dont think her last few steps to the hitting position is great. I often see hit off balanced like Serena. unlike Serena, when Monica gets wrong footed, all she can do it hit a very weak ball.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Well, given that you have now known what "footwork" is for 10 minutes, I'm not sure I would consider yours an expert opinion.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Fair enough. but I must say those who think Monica has the best footwork on the tour are undoubtedly under serious illusions.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Why don't you go ask Navratilova, Shriver, Fernandez, Garrison, or McEnroe? Clearly you still don't understand footwork, or you are just pissed about that Maleeva 0-15, with no sets won by Maggie or Katarina.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Am I pissed? now you are cracking me up. give me a fuckin break dude. what the fuck does this have to do with Maggie or the Maleeva sisters? unlike other crazy fans of players, I never get emotional when my favorites are mentioned negatively. I dont feel nothing when my favrotie has been trashed by a particular player. You probably dont believe in me.
Do you seriously think Seles has the best footwork out there???

ghosts
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:43 PM
which is the 0-15 with no sets won by Maggie or Katerina :confused:

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:00 PM
That's their combined head-to-head against Seles. Neither of them has ever taken a set from Monica let alone won a match.
But officialy Maggie has one win over Monica. but better not go into details as I dont wanna piss anyone...

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I seriously think Monica has the best footwork out there. So do about half the knowledgable people on this board. Monica is known to be among the very best in 5 things: return, backhand, footwork, angles, and mental toughness. If it wasn't for your always trying to discredit Monica, I would just chalk this one up to your obvious ignorance. But there is more to it.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Just because one doesn't think Monica is the best at everything, you shouldn't discredit him or her.

Maybe at one time Monica had the best footwork, yes, I agree with that, but if we are talking about currently, then it's not true.

And before I'm subject to your McCarthianism on hating Monica, let me just say the game has never seen a better champion than here.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:14 PM
OK Joshua, who has better footwork than Monica right now?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Venus
Serena
Kim
Justine
Daniela
Mauresmo
Myskina
Schnyder
Pistolesi
Bovina

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Thanx VSfan like always.
I dunno how good Monica WAS when she was dominating the sport as I didnt see much tennis back then. But now that a lot has changed on the tour, Monica is clearly not the best in those categories mentioned. She's still among the elite but not the best sadly.. I'm not discreditting Monica. I think I would give her enough credit she deserves. I'm no expert on tennis but I guess neither are you, are you? Everyone's entitled to their opinions n it's not possible to be perfectly objective. As much as I like Monica, I don't think Monica is as good as you make her out to be.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Venus
Serena
Kim
Justine
Daniela
Mauresmo
Myskina
Schnyder
Pistolesi
Bovina

hey, let me add Amanda, Ai and possibly Maggie (?)

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM
steffi had the perfection combination

perfect footwork and speed!

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Sorry Joshua, I don't mean to be rude, but you don't understand footwork either. If you had said Henin, I would accept that you at least had a strong grasp of the concept, but Serena has the worst footwork in the top 10. I repeat, it has nothing to do with speed. At least in your case, I believe that's it's an honest mistake and not motivated by malice. I've tried to explain the concept in this thread, but maybe you would be better off asking Fingon, Brian Stewart, or Zummi. You may find it enlightening when you get it, and it will give you one more thing to look at when you are watching matches. I'd sit here and try to explain further, but I have to go out of town immediately for about a day and a half. I should have left a half hour ago.

Sofiane
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Monica Seles has a very good footwork, but for now, I think Kim's and Justine's footwork are better, however she is very close to them still. Footwork has nothing to do with speed.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Gogomaggie, I disagree -- I think Monica has superior footwork too Amanda and Maggie and has exceptionally superior footwork to Ai.

But like you said, it's all subjective, but this is my opinion.

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:26 PM
venus footwork improved a lot but it's not the best for sure

in 97 it was awful

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by gogomaggie
Thanx VSfan like always.
I dunno how good Monica WAS when she was dominating the sport as I didnt see much tennis back then. But now that a lot has changed on the tour, Monica is clearly not the best in those categories mentioned. She's still among the elite but not the best sadly.. I'm not discreditting Monica. I think I would give her enough credit she deserves. I'm no expert on tennis but I guess neither are you, are you? Everyone's entitled to their opinions n it's not possible to be perfectly objective. As much as I like Monica, I don't think Monica is as good as you make her out to be.

Short and Sweet:

Hey goofus, if Monica is far slower than anyone in the current top 5, don't you think she would have to be better than them at some things to have a winning record against 3 of them, and victories over the other 2?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the mutual respect DH -- but I know exactly what footowork is and I think Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario has perhaps some of the best all time. I love to watch those feet move ;)

vancouverite
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:28 PM
I think you're missing the point about footwork, which is not the same as foot speed. Mind you, your poll is about 'mobility', which is really closer (if not the same thing as) foot speed.

But any discussion about footWORK in women's tennis would certainly include Seles among the top few in the history of the women's game (along with Evert, Graf, Navratilova, and Hingis). Monica's preparation and set-up for her shots is extraordinary, and is one of the key reasons for her (continued) success.

Of course, she is not in the same class of speed as the Williams', Kim, Justine, or Amelie. But her mental toughness, anticipation, and consistency more than make up for that.

DH may not be an expert but he knows enough about women's tennis to recognize what probably all of the top players would agree on: Monica Seles is up there with the very best ever when it comes to footwork.;)

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:29 PM
go seems that everybody had the best footwork in the ninties lucky you always had those lists from experts in tennismagazine and there was always one winner in them;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
DH - Aranxta has a winning or tied record over Serena....

That doesn't say a bit about their current skills.

disposablehero
vancouverite, the title has changed. It was originally "footwork".

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Joshua, check Monica's record last year against Kim, Justine, and Daniela. That says something about her current skills.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Sorry Joshua, I don't mean to be rude, but you don't understand footwork either. If you had said Henin, I would accept that you at least had a strong grasp of the concept, but Serena has the worst footwork in the top 10. I repeat, it has nothing to do with speed. At least in your case, I believe that's it's an honest mistake and not motivated by malice. I've tried to explain the concept in this thread, but maybe you would be better off asking Fingon, Brian Stewart, or Zummi. You may find it enlightening when you get it, and it will give you one more thing to look at when you are watching matches. I'd sit here and try to explain further, but I have to go out of town immediately for about a day and a half. I should have left a half hour ago.

This is obviously an indirect insult to gogomaggie. I know I'm not an expert on tennis but neither most or probablly all of you guys on the board. you make me seem stupid or retarded. I've been following and playing the sport for a long time. but it's ok cuz I just like discussion.. I'm not emotional hardly lose my temper.
let me say this again, Monica aint that good anymore... face it!!!

selesrules
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Monica has perhaps the BEST footwork in the history of the game. :rolleyes: Yes she's not as fast as she used to, but this has nothing to do with footwork, her footwork is incredible.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:36 PM
1-0 vs. Kim - 3 set match 4-6, 6-3, 6-3

1-0 vs. Hantuchova - 6-4, 7-5

0-1 vs. Henin-Hardenne - 7-5, 7-6

so she's 2-1 vs. that group. impressive! monica's still superior to these players in many aspects of the game such as mental strength, focus, competitiveness, pure power, stroke capability, and the "champion" factor. i never doubted that. i'm just disagreeing with you on 1 issue.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM
well... not being the best at something, her or she is bad at it.. I never said Monica's footwork is bad. I merely think it s not THE best in the game at the moment. does that mean I'm discreditting her? I hardly agree on that.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Sorry Joshua, but I said "last year", as in 2002. No sense making it the past 52 weeks when she hasn't played any of them this year. So its:

vs Daniela 1-0
vs Justine 1-1
vs Kim 1-0 or 2-0 if you count Hopman Cup, which the ITF does.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:42 PM
No gogomaggie, you said that Monica, Lindsay, and Gaby were three players with awful footwork. Which would be hilarious it it hadn't been meant in such a mean spirit.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Anyways, it's quite intriguing that as many as 12 ppl have voted for Monica on the poll...
by the way, I voted for Gabby.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:44 PM
No gogomaggie, you said that Monica, Lindsay, and Gaby were three players with awful footwork. Which would be hilarious it it hadn't been meant in such a mean spirit.

I said they are awfully SLOW not having the worst footwork.
Check back on it.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Well, you said yourself, this board isn't exactly wall to wall experts. And they would have a hard time voting for Serena when she isn't on the poll.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by gogomaggie
To fans of the players listed here, no offense but they are seriously slow on the court.

I listed three big names that I think have (had) serious problems with running. out of them whose footwork do you think is the worst?

by the way, I forgot to add Amy Frazier who's another player I think is very slow.

Maybe you should have edited your post rather than just the thread title before you started lying. Oh well. Denial is not the best defence for ignorance, you know.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Note the word "footwork".

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:46 PM
I'm merely comparing the three players listed on the poll. You still can vote for the one you think has the worst footwork among them. that 12 ppl have voted for Monica means they at least think Gabby n Linday are better in this aspect. it's just their opinions so no need to go fussy.

irma
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:47 PM
what about kimmy's footwork?. I don't know but all the splits are not a sign that she always in a good position (she is still fast though of course)

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM
yeah but I never said her footwork is bad. I just said she is slow. n putting her in the poll doesnt mean her footwork is bad for christ's sake

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:51 PM
LOL! You could quit covering up and simply admit your cluelessness any time now. Why would you say three players are slow then ask who has the worst footwork? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask who is slowest, if that is the topic you originally started talking about? That's like "Monica Seles, Jelena Dokic, and Alex Stevenson have terrible volleys. Vote for which you think has the worst return of serve."

Admit your ignorance, and at least gain a shred of respect for honesty.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:55 PM
you're damn right. I was totally fucked up between footwork n footspeed. I was fuckin confused with them. I know the title should not have been what it is. I tried to find a way to correct it but to no avail. but you should have the understanding mind to disregard someone as retarded n headless as gogomaggie. don't you think so pal?

hingis-seles
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM
MOnica has amazing footwork!