PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody belives that M. Hingis will come back?

FP
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM
I'm just wonderring whether some of u belives she might come back.
I don't mean who wants her to come back coz I can understand the feelings of her fans .Personally for me women's tennis had died at the day Hingis retired...

U can answer just yes or no or u might want to justify
I'm trying to make a poll but I don't know if i could

Mattographer
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:44 AM
No

Uxobi
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:45 AM
As of now, Martina states "NO". I'll agree with her.

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Yes. She clearly did not rule out leaving for good for the long term. She is taking a much needed break from the tour for the short term.

Asmus
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:47 AM
I think there is a chance. Martina has only been gone for a few months. Tennis has been her whole life up to this point, and now she is deserting it altogether. After awhile, she will see how much she misses it, and hopefully she will so that she will come back. Maybe after a couple years, but then she will only be 24. But I don't think it will happen in the near future.

FP
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:48 AM
I don;t know why but i'm starting to love u Dawn :p

ys
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Oh yes she will..

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM
FP, Happy Valentines Day:):)

I do think she will be back and yah gotta look at the positives in her statement. She said for the short term. Now if a player is going to retire forever and they FIRMLY believe it then there would be no need to state for the short term. Hingis is leaving the door open. She is resting her body and mind.

selesrules
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:55 AM
No she won't. She's too scared unfortunately.

Penne1
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Agreed - it's not only her feet - it's a pride and ego thing to and I don't think she is mature enough to realise that right now and overcome it!

FP
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Thx Dawn the same to u :hearts:
Happy Valentine
U r an optimist, I wish u to remain always optimistic...:angel:

Simplify
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Yes. I'm sure she misses playing doubles with Anna.;)

jojoseph
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by ys
Oh yes she will..

yes, indeed.

schris
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM
I don`t think so

Miranda
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:31 AM
yes she will be back :D

hello sister FP, do you still remember your bad sister ;) :wavey: :kiss:

King Lindsay
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:39 AM
There's always a chance. How long did Jennifer Capriati walk away for? How long was Monica Seles absent?

Like dawn pointed out, it's important to remember that she did not say she was retiring. she said she would not be back in the foreseeable future. Give it time, people.

Mark for Martina
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:04 AM
I agree with King Lindsay...

She'll be back...

If she doesn't think so in the foreseeable future...

Then dark times are ahead for the tour in the forseeable future...

No excitement.. No fun play... Nothing...

irma
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:06 AM

FP
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:27 AM
thx to all of u ppl for voting :)

FP
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:33 AM
wow I never knew that we have so many optimistic ppl here :o

persond
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:13 PM
:D I'd have to say that I'm "optimistically pessimistic"!!!!:D :D

I want Hingis back so Venus and Rena can positively, absolutely shut the "mouths of many". (You know EXACTLY who you are!!!) For you see, that's probably the only way to do, "just do it"!!:p :p

:angel:

Mr. Man
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Yes. :p

gL_hGsP
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:00 PM
she might be comeback , i believ in herself .

Vincent
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM
SHE WILL.
martina will miss what she forgoes.

Rae Q.
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:52 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that she will come back. Martina's too good to just give up like that so after some time off she'll be back challenging for the top spot. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/paf140100061f5ae6e362e859a8552ad4/fca443bb.jpg

Venus Forever
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:56 PM
I definitely think she will be back. I think it was more of a publicity stunt, then a retirement talk.

Averylove
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I don't mean to rain on Marti's fan's parade But why would Martina Hingis Come back to get her butt whiped by the sisters?:(
That would defeat the purspose !;)

It's her fans that are dreaming ,they should just let it go and move on and look for another Swiss Ms :cool:

while you Dreaming Dream me up some supper will ya':p

yoyo
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Ask Martina Navratilova !

RAA
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:40 PM
hmmm
well, I guess I'm of two minds.
she *could* come back. but the reasons that she "retired" would still be out there - the power game and her inability/unwillingness to deal with it. that element of the game is not going to change. so unless she changes her mind and thinks its okay for her to comeback and be competitive,but not #1, then she could come back.
I guess I don't see the external reasons for her leaving the game changing anytime soon. power tennis is here. if the women's game follows the men's game, perhaps we'll see some agassi/hewitt types come onto the women's tour. but I think that is not in the near future. I think power tennis is in its mid years and has a ways to go before maturing. Hingis cannot be #1 in a world of power tennis. I'm sorry, I don't think she can be, not without her feet 100%.
SO
if internally she decides that she would like a different career trajectory, say more like Seles than Tracey Austin, then she can come back.

by the way, i've come to the conclusion that Martina is again exhibiting her "smarts". She is going to go out as on top as she can. Why battle it out in the trenches when she can retire now not too far removed from her glory days? I say Hingis is FINISHED as a top 5 player.

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:58 PM
As most writers seem to project Venus to retire by the end of '04 (and others such as Linzi, Jen, Monica, etc. likely will as well due to age-related decline or injury in their cases), I'd say yes. Presumably, the Tacchini suit will be settled in or out of court, without prohibiting a return. So she'll think: since Serena isn't playing more than 20 events @ most, and will get "picked off" here and there, she can contend. If she wants to, she'd better relearn the serve and pack on some muscle as the others like Kim, Juju, Momo, Dani, even Jeca may be a lot better themselves; then add in "Bovina & Co.", and her '97-'99 game still won't do it.

england_rules
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:01 AM
She WILL comeback and BEAT the Williamses! ;)

FP
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:27 AM
At the present time I don't see anybody beating sisters and last 4 slams can prove it for a year or so all slams were dominated by sisters maybe only Kim could intervene in the family affair at the present time.
They reached their peak at the moment when most of their opponets were injured I mean 3 girls who could possibly beat them and have beaten them number of times (Hingis, Davenport, Capriati). While the young guns still haven't got enough experience to be able to beat the older top players I mean Kim Jastine, Daniela, etc. The sisters took a momentum and their total domination continues till now. It's just like in the begining of 2000 when Hingis and Davenport used to win everything while the sisters were not in shape or were injured. So nothing strange is here.
So I don't think that Hingis retired only coz sisters came to their peak. I think there were number of facts and the most important one is injuries. I strongly believe that had she been healthy she would work her ass off to change her game plan and try to beat them and most likely she would have succeeded.
But she understands that not being healthy she cannot compete not only with sisters but with the rest of big babes' community, the prove is her last defeats from russian girls. Her injuries made her too slow for competition, and she knows that. She would constantly lose to the sisters not standing a chance (she tryied it already play them not being 100% and she even got 6-0 once from Serena) and destrying her reputation and the remaining self confidence. So she made the only correct choice to retire or take a long break as some of u would prefer.
I could think that she will come back once she feels healthy but I was the first who voted "no" just coz I think she is too lazy to do it. It would take too much of her to make an effective come back. I mean just imagine in 2 years for example, the top will consist of the same sisters who I believe would lose more often to Kim, Dani, number of russian girls, coz in 2 years those youngsters will acquire valuable experience and rise their level.
Hingis would need to work too hard to be able to beat at least one of them. I still believe that she could do it no matter who is it one of the sisters or any other big babe (simply she has undisputed bright talent) but 1 at a time not all of them in a row and this is not enough anymore. As far as I know she doesn't like to be streached to her limits she loses her interst immediately when start losing.
So that's why I don't think she will come back.

BasicTennis
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Only marriage could derail her comeback. If after 3 years she'll remain single, then the possibility of a comeback is 99.99%.;)

FP
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Hey thx for the pic Rae Q
she looks really cool hmm amybe too skinny but still cool :p

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I have a feeling she will be back. but I believe, will return just for the love of the game just like Monica Seles in 1995. If she does comeback, I don't think she's gonna challenge the Sisters anyway and she knows it. She will be back because at some time in this "break", she will realize how much she enjoys playing.

sigh........wishful thinking:-(