PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova Is Still Coming To Memphis

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Anna Kournikova withdrew due to a back stain suffered during the Australian Open last month. She informed the tournament this afternoon. But she is still coming to Memphis to present check to St Jude Children's Hospital on the court between the 1st and 2nd Monday night matches.

Great move Anna! :wavey:

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:37 AM
a back STAIN? lol

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:42 AM
ops! a back strain*

Brian Stewart
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Was the stain from the "heat patch"? :)

All kidding aside, nice move by Anna to come to the tournament.

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:49 AM
It is a great move but also I think they told her she can keep her $300,000(?) "promotional fee" or maybe 1/2 of it by doing this on the court.

auntie janie
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Now they pay the price for promoting Anna and only Anna. She isn't even playing, and they did not attempt to attract the public's interest in any other player at all. :rolleyes:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Nice move by her, but it's not as if she would have won the thing even if she was healthy.

Volcana
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:09 AM
There's no one else playing there that could draw the crowds Anna does. Memphis is a Tier III. They aren't likely to have TV revenue. They have to sell tickets. And a dollar spent advertising Anna puts more fannies in the seats than a dollar spent advertising almost any other player on the tour.

Anna's a special case. It's a pity she's not a better tennis player.

Gowza
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:13 AM
anna can win a tier 3. when she decides to turn up that is. but i think she would be better off trying to start with lower tier tournaments i don't understand her. she keeps losing in the early rounds but is always playing high tier tournaments. it probably has a lot to do with sponsors.

maybe her dropping out of the top 50 would be a good sign because she'll have to play more lower tier tournaments because of her ranking.

o0O0o
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:21 AM
But Gowza, her popularity gets her wildcard entry into the best events. This is good for her in that she gets to play the best, but bad for her in that she will lose.

auntie janie
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Volcana, I agree it is smart business for a tournament to promote Anna.

But I think would have been wise to promote other players, particularly the sparkling Chanda, as well. It makes no sense to put all their marketing eggs in one basket. It makes it appear as though the rest of the baskets are worthless!

Paris made the same mistake a couple years ago, heavily promoting only Serena. Then she pulled out.

Gowza
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:30 AM
o0O0o, she's already played the best enough times to know what she has to work on. if she keeps losing she won't have confidence and a player can't improve without confidence.

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:32 AM
remember this is a ATP event also so Roddick,Mark P., Gambill, Dent and Blake are coming so not bad.

tennisIlove09
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:34 AM
This is a great way to Tier 3's to get people to buy tickets. Plaster Anna on your poster, then have her "mysterious withdraw" at the last minute.

Don't give refunds on the tickets.

;)

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Keep in mind that a share of the ticket sales (don't know the %) goes to the St. Judes Childrens Hospital, a charity never tainted by scandal like some other high profile ones (as far as I know). "Image enhancement" advice: Anna, 2U the $150,000 is trivial, esp. after taxes. So publicly decline it with the proviso that they add it to St. Judes' take. Have perhaps Marlo Thomas herself come on court and publicly thank you and give you a big hug. One can hit a "passing shot" even when "playing against" the BBC!

Scorch
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
a back STAIN? lol

I don't know what you could be thinking Dawn ;)

RAA
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM
is she or is she not pregnant??
inquiring minds want to know...

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:14 PM
i'll report back after monday night

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Anton, GO TO THE QUALIFYING IF YOU'RE GOING! Nancy Loeffler Caro is in the qualies and will probably play on Saturday!