View Full Version : Men Who Shave More, Live More

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Men Who Shave More, Live More

By Jennifer Warner
Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Tuesday, February 11, 2003
WebMD Medical News

Feb. 11, 2003 -- A clean-shaven face may be the sign of a happy and healthy man. A new study suggests that men who don't shave daily have fewer orgasms and are more likely to suffer a stroke than stubble-free men.

British researchers followed 2,438 Welsh men between the ages of 45 and 59 over 20 years and found their shaving habits were significantly related to their health in some unexpected ways.

One-fifth of the men who didn't shave daily were less likely to be married, had sex less often, and were more likely to smoke, have heart problems, and work in manual, blue-collar occupations than other men.

In addition, of the 835 men who died during those 20 years, only 31% were daily shavers compared with the 45% who shaved less than daily.

Those findings are published in the Feb. 1 issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology.

Researcher Shah Ebrahim, a professor in the department of social medicine at the University of Bristol, and colleagues say they also found a strong association between shaving frequency and stroke risk.

Men who didn't shave every day were nearly 70% more likely to have suffered a stroke during the study than others. And that increase in risk did not go away after adjusting for other lifestyle factors known to affect stroke risk.

Researchers say hormone levels may be at least one possible explanation behind the link between shaving and stroke risk. Low levels of testosterone and high levels of estrogen produce slower beard growth, and these hormones may also play a role in the development of heart disease and stroke.

Although the study also found a slightly higher risk of death due to heart disease and deaths in general among less frequent shavers, researchers say those effects might be due to other factors, such as higher smoking rates and other negative health habits found among this group of men.

In fact, after adjusting for these factors, the link between shaving and these risks became much fuzzier.

Source: http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/60/67227.htm

Julian
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:40 PM
I have been shaving twice a week for almost 2 years now, except during summer when I let it hang out lol..although I hate the stubbiness, this is INTERESTING

G-Ha
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I shave daily (except on the weekends) so I'll probably live to be 100! I wonder if I'm even healthier for shaving my balls too? ;)

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Hopefully, I don't have to shave my legs to live longer.. That would be too much to ask..

LeonHart
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ys
Hopefully, I don't have to shave my legs to live longer.. That would be too much to ask..

...:o me too.

Keith
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
G-HA you crack me up!

I only shave every other day or so because that is all I need to shave.

Hurricane Lily
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:42 PM
shave what exactly? :D

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by G-Ha
I shave daily (except on the weekends) so I'll probably live to be 100! I wonder if I'm even healthier for shaving my balls too? ;)

Oh my! :o

:drool:

Richie77
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I shave my face every day, and I shave my chest and stomach once a week.
So I guess I'll be here a while :D

schris
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:36 AM
I don`t want to live sooo long , so I won`t shave my legs ;)

Feb 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
All that really says is that most women don't like facial hair LOL!

Hagar
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Well, my ex shaved daily when he was with me as he had decided not to keep his beard any longer. He is now with his new girlfriend and his beard is back!
So it means he has less sex with her than he had with me! YEAH!
:p