PDA

View Full Version : D. Hantuchova def. E. Callens 57 64 63

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM
:eek: :eek: Great match from Els! She's really been making the top names work!

Still, Dani reaches the quarters

E. Blackadder
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Els saved 6 matchpoints, and was very close on saving the 7th

Too bad, but she played phenomenal :bounce:

TatiAnnah°lic
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Congrats Els, very good fight!

spiceboy
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah, sure Els...but the winner is Dani!!! Congrats girl

xan
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:50 PM
An amazing match! Lots of winners from both, but more from Els, who was really aggressive with her basekline groundstrokes.

Dani was listless to start with, but fought back in 2nd and 3rd sets, with some amazing serving quality in the third. Dani had more service winners - over 30 (more than 7 games worth!)

However Els made far more Aces with 15 (4 in one game)

A really good match from Els. Sad to see her lose after all that. Dani really had to fight to win this.

Hagar
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:54 PM
I hope Els takes confidence from this match. She can play some tennis!

carot
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Els is the best! Great match Elske!

schris
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Congratulations for both girls

E. Blackadder
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:09 PM
without a doubt the best match of the tournament so far :angel:

diggerariel
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Els will be ranked much higher than her current 70, if this kind of wonderful play continues in 2003! Another Belgian force in the making.

:D

Burberry
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Again, Daniela is not winning in a convincing way!!! She better gets into another gear!!! Otherwise, I'll see her titleless in the whole year of 2003!!!

Feb 13th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Great match for Els

tennisfan1972
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I'm surprised Els Callesn is not ranked higher, she is a very high quality player, judging from her few matches that i have seen as well as her doubles play. She will no doubt move up in the future. very clever game. such accurate shot making. great change of direction as well.

Jakub
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM
So close Els :sad:

Wimanna
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Els plays a backhand Ó la Rios, she jumps.....funny to watch.

venusfan
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Why is this such big news?

King Lindsay
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Little early to proclaim hantuchova "titleless for the whole year", I think.

daniela plays dechy in the quarters. Might be tough.

Mr. Man
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Els is one tough cookie.

I'm glad Dani pulled through. :kiss:

supercmfan
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Great match for Els !!!!!

Gowza
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:57 PM
dani has been struggling lately to win matches. she is more experienced now but i don't think she is playing as well as she was when she won indian wells or when she took venus to 3 sets in the 2002 oz open. i think she might drop in the rankings because all these 3 set matches will be giving her fatigue.

▀coene
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Good match Callens, congratulations, too bad you didn't win but hopefully some good results will follow in the future. I'm sure she can do it.

ptkten
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:22 AM
It's amazing how much people think Daniela's form is horrible. Her three losses this year have been to Davenport 7-6 in the third, V. Williams, and Dementieva. Yeah, she shouldn't be losing to Dementieva but it's not like she's lost to players outside the top 25. Every player goes through a sophomore slump, and Daniela's experiencing a small one, but what is encouraging is that she's fighting through her matches and is winning the close ones even when her form might not be the best.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Yes, true. I am a little bitty bit worried about her, but her losses so far this year aren't too bad really. :)

However, a true top-10 player in the women's game crushes lesser opponents - such as Amelie's double-bagel of Dementieva last week. I think it's great that Dani has the toughness to win hard matches and to come back from behind after slow starts. I do think she is a genuine top-10 player. But I'd like to see her looking less vulnerable to the players she is supposed to beat - not just scraping victories.

LUIS9
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:01 AM
i agree completely with you jouissant. hantuchova has a great game and so much talent.however her inconsistency and all these three setters will undo her the wrong way.she definitely belongs in top 10 no doubt, but should take better care of low ranked opponents, i doubt it but is she underestimating her low rank opponents? that might be part of the equation but i doubt it, shes a profesional and very honest to her sport very dedicated.however she can improve her game, improve her 2nd serve make it much of tool against the other top ten and her mobility isnt anything of spectacular.laterally moving shes ok but moving forward she's a bit slow, and being tall has nothing to do with it venus is prime example shes two inches taller and moves like a gazelle and puts the tall mith to shame.can get to so many low balls and move so well laterally and forwards. only serena can do a better job but not by a significant margin.im only concerned for hantuchova bc i like her game,and would like her to reach her fool potential and conitnue rising instead of being stagnant.or even regress a bit which i think she will before she becomes more consistent.she should also further develop her good net game, and make it much of a tool and use it to her advantage as a good doubles and excellent mixed doubles player that she is.:wavey:

spudrsca
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
I've seen the match, and I think Hantuchova is not as fit as last year, she didn't move really well yesterday:cool:
I fear that she will have one or two bad seasons like Schyder if she doesn't improve her fitness.