PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the religion of Scientology?!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Do you think they are whacks?! Is anyone here a Scientologist?!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Fringe group at best. Don't subscribe to it myself. Far too much of a Presbyterian.

Iconoclast
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I think it's a sci-fi novel gone awfully wrong.

carot
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:04 PM
dunno what they stand for, but if tom cruise is in it, i bet it must be really bad!

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Wow. So can you get all the rice you can eat in Hong Kong?

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I want to order some rice dirt cheap and then sell it on the black market over here. Don't tell anyone.

Lynx
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by carot
dunno what they stand for, but if tom cruise is in it, i bet it must be really bad! It IS bad. It's a mix of backyard-psychology and crypto blah blah. It is not a religion in any way - they only wanted that status (and got it, since they are politically quite powerful in the US) because it gives them loads of advantages (no taxes being only one of them).

Ron L. Hubbard was, at his best, a second rate sci fi writer.
Let me quote Iconoclast:Originally posted by Iconoclast
... it's a sci-fi novel gone awfully wrong.

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry. I am very ashamed of my offense. :sad:

BigB08822
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:42 PM
I will be honest, I don't actually know what scientology is. However, is it really a religion? I didn't think they believed in a "supreme being" which is pretty much required of religions isn't it?

Keith
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Deuce Diva...you are so funny!

From what I understand, the more money you give the church, the more information they give you about the religion.

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by DeuceDiva
diva...in hong kong there is no direct translation for your query...i'll simply say...ni hao ma. :) Is he related to Yo Yo Ma?

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
LOL

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I understand that this group qualifies as a cult. There are quite few of these kind of groups.. Scientology, Lifespring, EST.. Many of those had few offsprings. But the idea is similar - mind mamipulation. And depsite the fact that most of them have some interesting ideas in their concept ( which is why they manage to recruit people ), they ( those who run the cult ) really want three things: they want you, they want your money, they want your friends..

Helen Lawson
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Say what you will, but it has kept Lisa-Marie, Kirsty Alley and a few others off of "boooze and dope" which is important in show business because, after all, Broadway doesn't go for boooze and dope. Neely should turn to Scientology. She could use the work.

I did some dinner theatre once in Clearwater, Florida (it was the slow season and I wanted to "hone my craft"). The headquarters for Scientology is located there. They are clean and respectful, not unlike some homeless, but they walk around town in black pants, white tops, with a "black box" that they are carrying that has some sort of energy. You must also contribute a percentage of your wages. I tried to talk Anne into going to an information session with me out of curiosity, but she had a Gillian Girl photoshoot and I did not want to go alone.

Helen Lawson
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Oh, and fyi, industry insiders partially blame Scientology for the Cruise/Kidman split. He is really into it, very much into it. Apparently Kidman was not. It contributed to marital problems.

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:56 PM
I believe, that same or similar cult played a role in Kafelnikov's divorce with his wife..

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:45 PM
so, why would you use Mandarin instead of Cantonese, Diva??;)
Lei hao :angel:

ctfu joy ;)

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:49 PM
I think its no more absurd than the religion of Roman Catholicism. Is that a ringing endorsement?

decemberlove
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:48 AM
crap, like any other type of religion

LeonHart
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:58 AM
:D Mandarin!

wo hun how!!! wo yiow chu wan la! jai jien! :wavey:

Keith
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Deuce Diva...you are the funniest poster I have seen in a very long time!

King Aaron
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:42 PM
I've no idea what type of religion this is except that Tom Cruise is in it.

lmao at DeueceDiva, funny!

King Aaron
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:02 PM
lmao!!!

and the cantonese/mandarin term for it?

King Aaron
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:15 PM
this is cantonese right?

ys
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Something looks *strange* about that DeuceDiva poster.. First, I strongly doubt her Hong Kongese roots.. She rather sounds like a native American woman sitting on the snow at the crossroads next to a beautiful lake a couple of hours before the sun goes down .. Second, very soon after this poster surfaces on these boards, another prominent poster disappears and is quiet for almost two days.. Should I name that other poster? Only one poster, that poster, could compete with DeuceDiva in being that much hillarious, and something in the style suggest some certain resemblance..:)

ys
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DeuceDiva
:) my dearest ys...the fact that you call me *strange* is taken as a compliment. that you doubt my kongese roots is also taken as a compliment, for you see...in hong kong, you are nothing if not diverse in your roots. however, i worry as to whom this other quiet poster could be, since i'm compared to this poster...what vexes me is that, if this other poster is seen as uncaring and uncouth, i too might be perceived this way. regardless, in hong kong, we continue to go about our way even in the face of adversity....please, ys...who is this other poster? in hong kong, we would call what you're doing....teasing. ;)

As long as others don't question your authenticity, I'll be just watching and reading..;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I agree ys....but one thing is certain. The cars around here have been in nice shape the past 2 days :)

ys
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
I agree ys....but one thing is certain. The cars around here have been in nice shape the past 2 days :)

funny that you should mention that, vs...amazingly, we haven't had one rickshaw accident today...in hong kong, we call this...a safe peddle...

probably because trying to scratch a rickshaw-man could be ... misinterpreted there ... in hong kong..

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:30 PM
.....where in hong kong.....they call that..........playing nice by rice

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM
oooh.......platinum membership? i want the VIP services!!!!!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Ys - I questioned this posters identity the first thread of his/hers that I read ;) I posted something like "Registered in February 2003 , my ass".

But oh well - it's irritating, but harmless ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Do you guys really hate DeuceDiva or something?! Otherwise, what is the purpose of this expose if DeuceDiva hasn't been rude in this thread and deserved it?! I just think it's a bit pathetic when people read too much into things on the internet and think being an Internet Sherlock is so necessary 'cause it's lame and it has nothing to do with this thread.

You guys feel like you're "on to something" and I'm happy for you, you know, your great detective work. But just because people are laughing at DD's jokes, and you obviously don't like DD, that doesn't mean an expose is necessary because that's not the point of the thread and DD is funny fake or not and people are allowed to laugh at her jokes without others being petty and ruining the laughs.

Candy946
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:49 AM
There was this big blue Scientology building that I was able to view from my window when I lived in LA and I've always wondered what that was all about. They had blue covers surrounding their fences and I was always curious what went on behind it everytime I walked pass by there. I had friends who went there but they never really talked about it, which was kind of strange.

Candy946
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Got this link from a friend.

for those interested check out: http://www.whatisscientology.org/

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM
LOL Deuce Diva!

kiwifan
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:26 AM
Half of the cast of That 70s Show are Scientologists.

Hey Sweet Thang, I'll be earning Man Man another roll of quarters soon.
It might be the 2nd biggest religion in Hollywood.

:devil: :devil: :devil: So close to finding someone's first post.

Madonna's thing might be catching up and taking over soon...:p

kiwifan
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:44 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/ENTERTAINMENT/031107/ScoopFix_Spat.gif http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050214/050214_scoop_elfman.vmedium.jpgSteve W. Grayson / Online USA

Jenna Elfman is out to help her fellow Scientologists "clear the planet" of aliens.

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 2:55 a.m. ET Feb. 15, 2005

Some Jenna Elfman fans were startled by what the star had to say in a recent issue of Scientology’s magazine Celebrity.

The former star of “Dharma and Greg” is a devotee of the controversial religion, whose members also include Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

“I intend to make Scientology as accessible to as many people as I can. And that is my goal,” Elfman said. To do this, she says, it is my “duty to clear the planet.” By “clearing” she means to rid the world of “body thetans” — aliens who Scientologists believe inhabit the earth from a nuclear explosion 75 million years ago. She continued that “the more successful I became, the more suppression I bumped into … especially in the entertainment industry, which really is home to rabid suppression.”

“Her comments seem to reflect an increasingly almost paranoid view of the world around her in which she appears to have cleared house of all the suppressive people,” Rick Ross, who runs Cultnews.com, tells The Scoop. “Which to Scientologists would include all the people who are critical of Scientology.”

Scotso
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:00 AM
Freakos.

ys
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:01 AM
Wonderful thread..

decemberlove
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:23 AM
“I intend to make Scientology as accessible to as many people as I can. And that is my goal,” Elfman said. To do this, she says, it is my “duty to clear the planet.” By “clearing” she means to rid the world of “body thetans” — aliens who Scientologists believe inhabit the earth from a nuclear explosion 75 million years ago.
“Her comments seem to reflect an increasingly almost paranoid view of the world around her in which she appears to have cleared house of all the suppressive people,” Rick Ross, who runs Cultnews.com, tells The Scoop. “Which to Scientologists would include all the people who are critical of Scientology.”

that's not what clearing means. :lol:

kiwifan
Feb 21st, 2005, 04:17 AM
that's not what clearing means. :lol:
tell Jeannette Walls & MSNBC :p

...and Howard Stern (my first source for this story :tape: )

Justeenium
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:21 AM
I sure hope the people slamming scientology are atheists and not Christians.

Rocketta
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:46 AM
ohh DD, truly had a funny act with that Hong Kong thing....hilarious!

Martian Jeza
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
Nothing but commercial and con bullshit ! I've seen a reportage about them a couple of years ago ; one of their question there " Does the fish fly ? " ! :haha:

rand
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
diva...in hong kong there is no direct translation for your query...i'll simply say...ni hao ma. :)
wo hen hao, ni ne?

rand
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
:D Mandarin!

wo hun how!!! wo yiow chu wan la! jai jien! :wavey:
strange spelling :lol:

Ekkekko
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:26 AM
strange spelling :lol:
:lol: i think he probably meant, I'm fine. I wanna play. Goodbye. :wavey: :haha:

rand
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
I thought he had a late book? :confused:

Halardfan
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
I think it seems a scary brainwashing cult kinda thing...

But as others have hinted, many/most/all of the organized religions of the world are really just hugely succesful versions of the same thing.

Just say no, is my motto where such things are concerned.

nash
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
L. Ron Hubbard - "The best way to make a million dollars is to start a religion."

Need I say more???

-Nash-

kiwifan
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:02 AM
DAFFY FAITH OF 'DHARMA' STAR http://www.nypost.com/img/gossip/p6156x200.jpg
http://www.nypost.com/photos/pg602252005.jpg February 25, 2005 -- SEXY starlet Jenna Elfman has gotten so deeply into Scientology that her main goal these days is to help it take over the world. Scientology "is a complete understanding of what is happening on the planet right now," Elfman, best known for her role on "Dharma & Greg," told Scientology magazine Celebrity. She boasts that she's on the second-to-last "Operating Thetan" or "OT" level in the organization's hierarchy.

Elfman says you must devote yourself to Scientology or "you could be dead." Fellow celeb Scientologists include Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Lisa Marie Presley.

Scientologists who reach "OT 3" are told about "Xenu," a galactic ruler who paralyzed humans and sent them back to Earth in spaceships 75 million years ago, reports CultNews.com, which closely follows the faith. They were then arranged around a volcano and murdered with H-bombs, but their souls are still hanging around and are known as "Body Thetans" or "BTs."

Scientology devotees pay big bucks to "clear" themselves of the BTs' negative influence through a series of costly courses. Elfman tells the magazine her "duty" is now to help "clear the planet." She declares, "I intend to make Scientology as accessible to as many people as I can, and that is my goal."

Elfman's career hasn't exactly taken off like Xenu's spaceship, however. Since "Dharma & Greg" was canceled, she's appeared in a series of flops. This she seems to attribute to what Scientologists call "Suppressive People" or "SPs."

"The more successful I became, the more suppression I bumped into," Elfman says. "Especially in the entertainment industry, which is really home to rabid suppression . . . I don't have time as a leader, as an OT and as an artist to be suppressed.

"[If] you want to survive as an artist or leader . . . know you are going to be under attack," Elfman warns. "You have to be able and willing to confront evil if you want to survive."

Elfman says she has done this by "cleaning house of those people who were very good at convincing [me] that they were there to help, when they were absolutely not . . . Now that I'm willing to confront them, they scurry away" — much like her fans, apparently, and perhaps her publicist, since she no longer has one.

Elfman's agency, CAA, had no comment on her religious ramblings.