PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Aussies. Get involved in the anti-war weekend!

Julz
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Hey everyone.
This Friday in Melbourne there will be a mass rally against war. Anyone who opposes Australian involvement in Iraq should try to attend, this is probably our last oportunity to make a lasting impression on good ol' Johnny. So please, if you can, be at the state library at 5pm Friday the 14th.
For those in other states:
NSW - Walk for Peace Sunday 16 February, noon from Hyde Park
Regional -
North.Bellingen Walk Against the War 10am Sat. 15 February, Council Park, march to markets via main street. Evening prayer vigil from 6.30pm at Uniting Church.

Byron Bay rally 11am Sat. 15 February.
Silent protest for peace. Every Sunday 7pm, Jonson St. Bring a candle.

SA - Adelaide - Rally noon Sunday 16 February from Victoria Square.

QLD - Brisbane - Brisbane Rally and March 11am Sunday 16 February at Roma St Forum, marching to Botanical Gardens

For other states and regional areas check the vicpeace website.

THIS WAR IS NOT NECESSARY! PLEASE DO YOUR BIT TO PREVENT IT.

DutchieGirl
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:35 PM
:rolleyes: oh well I'm working anyway!

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by DeuceDiva
in hong kong, whenever we decide that we're going to protest a war, we gather 'round the nearest group of bamboo shoots and while marching in a circular fashion, every man, woman and child holds up his or her own well-worn wok and pounds it with a rock. we don't stop until we're too tired to stand. maybe all you aussies should refrain from joining at the library, and instead, go into your own kitchens and pound on something hard and metallic. this often releases stress and worry...plus, in the end, when you're tired, you come to the somber realization that nobody really gives a shit what you're thinking...democratic countries are so misleading, huh?

lol, excellent post!

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Well, you won't get me attending any of this stuff. I'm still opposed to the war until we have either a "smoking gun" or a UN process that gives authority to move against Iraq. At the moment we have neither.

Nonetheless, part of me thinks that an attack on Iraq may be necessary. I'd certainly love to see Saddam go. Another part of me thinks that the best way to prevent this war may be the hawkish attitude shown so far by Bush and co.

Sorrrrry.

Feb 13th, 2003, 12:07 AM
I'm not going because I know that despite the best intentions of most people for a peaceful protest, there are always a few dick heads in the crowd who vandalise property, get their heads on TV and make the rest of the protestors look like idiots.

The Senate passed a motion of no confidence, so we really need them to stick to it and block every government bill until the troops are sent home

Feb 13th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by DeuceDiva
...plus, in the end, when you're tired, you come to the somber realization that nobody really gives a shit what you're thinking...democratic countries are so misleading, huh?
Totally true