PDA

View Full Version : Nastya: Now is your chance

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:54 PM
With Rubin inactive and Seles and Dokic having first round losses, Nastya needs to take FULL ADVANTAGE of this week to have her shot at cracking the Top Ten.

Pierce shouldn't have been a struggle. The scoreline was too close for me. Next up is Safina, who will be a much greater test.

Can she make it? I'm not even sure she can this week, even if she wins the title (I haven't yet done the math). BUT points gained here could be useful in the weeks to come. Seles and Dokic have mondo points coming off.

Thoughts? Opinions?

mboyle
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Monica should at least retire in the top ten:sad: !

ys
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Nastya is two very winnable matches away from getting into Top 10..

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:02 PM
IMO, most of the Russian "New Kids on the Block" are gonna blow past her, Elena D., Anna, and Tatiana by the end of '04: the 2 Vera's, the 2 Maria's, Elena B. (already past the others, of course), Nadia, Svetlana, Dinara, and of course LINA. That list is in no particular order, and omits a number of prospects like Ekaterina that I don't know enough about yet.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Semis will do it, i think.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Maybe it has to be a final, on second thought.

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM
rd878 - "new kids on the block"? Have you actually looked at the ages of these players? Kournikova's OLDER than Myskina! I'm not sure which 'Tatiana's' you're talking about, but Panova and Poutchek are the highest ranked. Ages? 26 and 24.

26 yrs 06 mth 08-13-76 Panova

24 yrs 01 mth 01-09-79 Poutchek (Belarus)

21 yrs 08 mth 06-07-81 Kournikova

21 yrs 07 mth 07-08-81 Myskina

21 yrs 05 mth 09-26-81 Williams, S

21 yrs 04 mth 10-15-81 Dementieva

20 yrs 02 mth 12-15-82 Perebiynis (Ukraine)

19 yrs 11 mth 03-10-83 Bovina

Injuries ccan always retard development, but
Krasnoroutskaya and Zvonareva are already an age
where elite players are already top ten.

18 yrs 10 mth 04-29-84 Krasnoroutskaya

18 yrs 07 mth 09-07-84 Zvonareva

Safina and Sharapova, you could actually
call 'new'.

16 yrs 10 mth 04-27-86 Safina

15 yrs 10 mth 04-19-87 Sharapova

Myskina has already shown she has what it takes to win tournaments, something Russians who've gotten a few ranking places higher have not. Bovina could give her a run. But no one else among the Russians has shown they have what it takes to be a top ten player.

Doha? Krasnoroutskaya d Monica?

Let's wait six months and see if Krasnoroutskaya beat Monica cause Monica's getting old and slow. If Monica end this year ranked outside the top ten, that wasn't so big a win.

Havok
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:15 PM
well if she does get into the top 10, it's Seles that's out.

vs1
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:33 PM
No! No! I want DINARA to win!!! I want her to take the title. Sorry Nastya, but Dinara is going to take you down in the next round!!

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I think Dinara can take her out, but I think Myskina has loads of talent. She has better angles and placement then what I've seen from Elena Bovina and a few other Russian babes so far . her serve is wack, but that is fixable. I want Lina to win this title, now that Seles is out.

Well said Volcana, I agree with that last post of yours.

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by rd878
IMO, most of the Russian "New Kids on the Block" are gonna blow past her, Elena D., Anna, and Tatiana by the end of '04: the 2 Vera's, the 2 Maria's, Elena B. (already past the others, of course), Nadia, Svetlana, Dinara, and of course LINA. That list is in no particular order, and omits a number of prospects like Ekaterina that I don't know enough about yet. Volcana, the 4 on top include the 2 you mentioned OUTSIDE of the "New Kids", so it dosen't matter whether Ana or Anna is older. The ones starting with "the 2 Vera's" (Zvonareva AND Douchevina) are among the new kids. (Obviously, "the 2 Maria's" includes Kirilenko along with Sharapova). KL, there's a "stereotype" that most Russian girls can only win ITF events, and can't close the deal in the WTA. Their program is light years better now, as the Davis Cup showed. Ironically, the one who indirectly dissed a dead Russian girl with the lie (forget me, I was only "the facilitator"), used 2B coached by Safina's Mom, who coaches Dinara now (and Marat B4 either one). BTW, coincidence: that girl (Anya) would have turned 21 the same day Eggy's brother was killed.

Gowza
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:52 PM
it would be nice to see safina in the final, but i wouldn't mind if myskina won. i would prefer to see either iroda or lina to win it because they both need to prove themselves. thinking about it i want lina to win because she hasn't won a tournament yet and beating seles in straight sets was a good start and hopefull confidence boosting.

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't say Myskina has shown what it takes to win tournaments yet. Myskina has only won 2 tournaments... and they haven't been the most challenging.

Bovina won her only meeting against Nastya this year in Sydney too... and with a full year of results like Lena has gotten in the past 5 months, she's a lock for the top 10... which after the grass court season, Nastya will struggle to be around.

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Leena - That response was to a comparison that said Anna Kournikova and Elena Dementieva would 'blow past' Msykina. The ability to win tournaments is decidedly relevant in that context. And her last victory was a Tier II, not some Tier IVB.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Btw, remember it is "Nastya", not "Ana".

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by jouissant
Btw, remember it is "Nastya", not "Ana". Jouissant, perhaps removing the second a from Nastya...? Wait, "Nasty" as in Ilie wouldn't be so callous about an innocent compatriot being violently smashed to death @ age 20 by a drunk driver and just have thought "me, me, me".

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Yes, I've read the story, rd. You've posted it before. All I can say is that Nastya must...obviously quite wrongly...have made the judgment that you were some kind of potential stalker. As you've said, with a bit of effort your story could have been verified. Really, though, you should move on. Sad as the circumstances were (and I do feel for you), Nastya was just a kid (how old was she at the time? 19? 20?) who probably relied on the advice of people around her when she called the police.

See it from her viewpoint: when you are an attractive (despite the funny teeth) young athlete like Nastya, the public is full of potential creeps and stalkers. She just made a bad mistake in your case. It's a pity there's not some way she could realise it and apologise to you, but there really isn't. :sad:

sartrista7
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:32 AM
rd878 - when I first read your story, I thought that it was just a mistake on Nastya's part, one which could have been callous or not on her part. The way I've seen you harp on and on about the story... I'm inclined to believe that she may have been right to worry.

Nastya's my favourite of the Russians, but I'm not going to pretend she's the most talented. Fab groundies and all, but not enough to make her an elite player. And don't mention that serve. Despite that, she's the one with the biggest tourney win in the last, like, half decade, and she's pushed both Venus and Jenn to three sets.

Top 10 should be doable this week, unless she has one of her collapses (thankfully getting rarer these days). The Pierce scoreline was tighter than it should have been... but I think she can handle Dinara.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Jouissant, you are wonderful to converse with as usual, but... it's not really about me! Substitute a Russian you know (Eggy) for one you don't (Mikhail, equally intelligent and gracious) and try to imagine EVERYTHING ELSE BEING THE SAME. Nothing significant happened to me. Anya "turned 21" the same day Eggy lost his brother - in her grave. Myskina was already 21 and an adult. BTW, I'm sure as the subject of a complaint, I have a right to a copy on the letterhead of the Springfield, Missouri Police Dept. which (to spare WTAW hassles by posting it), I'd send a copy of to anyone who would like verification. Again, pretend it was for Eggy for a moment, please.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by sartrista7
rd878 - when I first read your story, I thought that it was just a mistake on Nastya's part, one which could have been callous or not on her part. The way I've seen you harp on and on about the story... I'm inclined to believe that she may have been right to worry. I didn't have to harp on anything with "Nastya". She said OK and took down Mikhail's e-mail, mine, and our phone numbers. The reason I've harped on it here is that ironically the sympathy has been misdirected. I didn't lose a loved one, or face ANY police action or prosecution. Her (compatriot) Mikhail lost a deeply loved wife slightly younger than her. "Could have been callous or not"? First, callous would be simply having said "Don't bother me" - indeed her right. But saying in effect: of course were I stricken like Corina, there would be an outpouring of love, but who the hell cares about the (verifiable) tragedy, I'm the "celebrity", this Anya wasn't and Mikhail isn't. (I hope the Anna bashing I admitted was way overboard dosen't color your comment, BTW). And if Mikhail were Eggy, would you REALLY post the same words you did above?

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by rd878
IMO, most of the Russian "New Kids on the Block" are gonna blow past her, Elena D., Anna, and Tatiana by the end of '04: the 2 Vera's, the 2 Maria's, Elena B. (already past the others, of course), Nadia, Svetlana, Dinara, and of course LINA. That list is in no particular order, and omits a number of prospects like Ekaterina that I don't know enough about yet.

...AND THAT'S BASED ON WHAT? (except your hate and alleged issue that has nothing to do with tennis?)

to answer this thread, Nastya is certainly more consistent and could handle Dinara's pace... in fact, she likes to play against power players. Her weakness is her serve and her mental agiility, but Dinara is no better in that department. Experience should win IMO

Gowza
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:11 AM
myskina's weakness is her serve.

safina's serve is pretty big for someone her age but it isn't as big as venus or serena's or even davenport when she places it. but it should get stronger as her body develops.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:37 AM
She likes pace? t_a, Linzi gave hear loads of it @ Pilot Pen 2002 and even on TV I saw Myskina's wrist recoil like she had just fired a large caliber handgun or something. (Linzi won 6-2, 6-2). In this case @ least you're correct re. the word hate; I have assumed the blame for crudeness re. Anna, creating such misimpression, BTW. (And though I do hate THIS player, the first time I've personally hated ANY pro athlete and hopefully the last, I wish her no harm; only defeat early, often, and badly). BTW, you arbitrarily picked Dinara from that list; while Lina is my clear Russian fave, I believe Bovina is the best player. But then you incorrectly assumed Venus 2B my favorite player overall when I was behaving badly. (You were wrong in both cases). If you wish to "exact retribution" for a rich, famous player who couldn't care less that I was "bashing her" ala the BBC, you're certainly entitled to. (Is that your motivation)? And I presume I have the right to a record of the complaint to prove "my alleged issue". AND that Mikhail has a similar right to the Moscow trial transcripts, etc. Question, t_a: had the timing been reversed between Mikhail and Eggy, I had been here, bashed Anna, then tried to do this for Eggy and the same had occured, would you have still posted what you did here?

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:52 AM
what did I posted? that you hate Nastya? you said it yourself... that you didn't support any of your points - that's true (re-read your posts)

you watch Pilot Pen on TV? I was there... Lindsay played exceptionally well and Nastya didn't have enough time to recover from her long match against Martina... check her H2H to draw your conclusions

I picked Dinara, because Nastya will play Dinara next (so that you actually get some tennis news - after all it's tennis MB)

Venus and Anna have nothing to do with this thread (and my post)

neither is Eggy..

I have no interest to know what she allegedly did... but considering the fact that you call players at their hotels, I wouldn't be surprised that you somehow provoked her

lastly, I don't have time anymore for this useless conversation with you, bye.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:28 AM
I will not converse with tenn_ace either as we cannot communicate, but wish to "sign off" with a couple of observations 1) Eggy (tragically) is only brought up as an analogy I wish I didn't have available to refer to in this context. 2) In all 3 cases, there was a "higher motive": if Nathalie's healing the week B4 a Grand Slam could be accelerated; if Bally's ability to be an active athlete while still recovering could be enhanced; and if Mikhail could be brought a bit of solace during a trial involving "graphic testimony". I believe tenn_ace's stated disinterest in Myskina's action belies an all too common "us and them" distinction where when any sort of celebrity is beset with illness or tragedy, we are expected to pour our hearts out; they do the "pro forma" visit to a childrens hospital and have earned their gold star. I reject this double standard. Goodnight.

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:41 AM
tenn_ace, no need to argue..

Imagine the situation when someone calls you, and you know neither the caller, nor how did he get your phone number, and then that someone asks you to call someone else, whom you also don't know, and who doesn't know you, and talk about something you have nothing to do with.. If the guy does not understand that
a) the whole situation is bizarre to say the least, and people tend to feel lost in bizarre situations
b) you are breaking her privacy
c) you are asking her to do something that she has no desire of doing..

then the guy needs help.. Of psychiatrist..

I mean, if someone I've never heard of calls me and tells me, say, that his mother is very sick, and asks me to call his mother and talk to her, I'd probably say that, I am sorry about your mother, but you need a doctor too..

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Also imagine this is all happening to you when you're a 19-year-old girl.

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Also imagine this is all happening to you when you're a 19-year-old girl.

But don't you think, that given the reaction, she might not be that far off. The switch from love to hate after being ignored is a pattern very typical for stalkers..

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:45 AM
I think that anyone who calls up a 19-year-old female celebrity whom he doesn't know is certainly misguided. That someone can hate her after her perfectly calm and logical response is bothersome...

I think Nastya was a lot more wise than others would have been in her situation. If this story is at all true, I support her fully.

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls it the way we see it... (ys)

btw, I still don't know the whole alleged story.

Experimentee
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM
I dont know what most of you are talking about here, but back to Myskina, shes talented but i dont think shes really top ten material, more like 10-15. She may get inside the low top ten for a while, but i see more talent in the younger russians in the top 100 at the moment.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Hurley and ys, I believe she was 21 already, not 19. And ys, with all due respect, why would one call ANY of us re. such a request? As I briefly mentioned that this couple were big tennis fans (who already had their Visa's to attend all of RG when it happened), it MIGHT have meant more to Mikhail (I'll never know now). And about the love to hate thing, who said I loved her first, anyway? (And I DID NOT ask to meet anywhere, even though I live near the place WTT's Delaware Smash play, and could have). Could she not have @ least filed the report "subject to verifying the facts", had her agent's Moscow office done so, and THEN told the police my story had totally checked out? :confused:

griffin
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
I'm impressed, rd878, you've managed to get me to agree 100% with ys on something.

I'm very sorry for your friend's loss, but if I were Nastya, I probably would have done the same thing. Now get over it and stop draggin it up all over the board and let people talk tennis.

How many points is she defending in the next few weeks again?

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM
These are the points Nastya will have to defend before RG

2002-02-11 Doha 61 QF III
2002-02-18 Dubai 68 QF II
2002-03-04 Indian Wells 62 4TH I
2002-04-08 Amelia Island 41 3RD II
2002-04-15 Charleston 104 QF I
2002-05-13 Rome 157 QF I

Total 493

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Griffin, I would ask that you answer the specifics of my reply to both Hurley and ys rather than just say "get over it". And we both know that you permit posters to curse eachother out and say a great many things in GM that are not directly related to tennis without admonishing them. (@ least I am being totally civil). And, this is about a player, many of the GM posts I referred to only about the other poster(s). As you have joined this conversation, I will ask you a question asked of others: IF everything had been identical except the dates of Mikhail's and Eggy's tragedy's, would YOU say what you just did?

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Besides, how do you know, that reporting to police all calls to their hotel suits coming from people that players do not personally know is not a security requirement by WTA that players are signed to obey? WTA had enough troubles and bad PR with Seles drama and other stalker cases, they might not want any more troubles, any more lawsuits, any more bad publicity..
Consider this, get somewhere a private number of President Bush, call him and ask him to call someone for you.. Do you have any doubts that FBI would be on your premises before you even hang up the phone?

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Stop bringing up Eggy. They are not even close to the same situation.

Nastya is FAMOUS and a young WOMAN. When you bother people who are either famous or women, you need to be more sensitive and not do what you did. It's inexcusable.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss, but you don't go calling random people, sobbing over the phone, begging for contact. Even if Nastya wasn't famous, you don't do that to women, period. It's SCARY.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Hurley, I neither sobbed nor begged. Nor would I have. Had she said no, it would have been as uneventful as the calls to Dechy and Balatcha. (The only sobbing was probably occuring among those far closer to Anya than I). Myskina wasn't "random", but a player Anya would have been cheering for @ RG if not for the drunk driver (though she was more a Dementieva fan). And other than wife as opposed to brother, what is @ all different than the tragedy that befell Eggy? Lastly, I did not publish the hotel info on the site. I did not neglect to arrange a psuedonym for the team's "marquee player" with the hotel. (ys, you are no doubt totally correct about President Bush, BTW).

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM
What's the difference?

The difference is that a friend of Eggy's didn't call a young vulnerable female celebrity whom he didn't know -- a tenet that people of sound mind wouldn't do -- and ask her to please reach out to him.

If Nastya had done this, she sets herself up for anyone who wants to call her to do so. Assuming that you're not a psychopath, eventually there will be someone who she'll go out of her way for who will take advantage of her beyond a comfortable point. Women are taught very early on to protect themselves. I'm sure she feels horrible about your friend, but had she gone any further she would have allowed herself to be even more vulnerable than she already is on a tennis court (Hamburg '93) and put herself in the awful position of being pigeonholed as a girl who will do these types of things.

That is certainly not what she wants and she 100% did the correct thing.

Stop bringing up Eggy, I mean it. If he were currently posting, he'd laugh his ass off about it and tell you you were nuts, so if you think you'd get any sympathy from him because you shook out one of his favorite players and contacted her without her permission, you are sadly mistaken.

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:18 PM
would have been as uneventful as the calls to Dechy and Balatcha.

You mean, Nastya wasn't the first one on your list and wasn't the only one you called? :rolleyes:

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Look. rd878, your intentions were very kind (one assumes) but you don't call celebrities up at their hotel rooms. At the least, it's very juvenile, and at worst it's scary. If you had wanted to contact Nastya, you could have done it through her agency. You could have done it in public at the tournament. But

You as a man are not to call women you don't know without some sort of intermediary or introduction, and

Nastya as a woman has the right to be wary and protect herself.

Period.

My friends are engaged and the male in the couple loves Penelope Cruz. If the female was killed, it would be horrible, but does that mean I can call Penelope Cruz at her hotel room, never having spoken to her before or having been mentioned at all to her by an intermediary, and delve into a sob story and expect her to leap to action? And if she gets scared, I should despise her?

Does that make any sense to you?

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:48 PM
ys, as mentioned elsewhere, I read medical lterature for a family friend Doctor with a busy multi-specialty group practice looking for innovative treatments that seem promising. (The literature is far too extensive for him to read all but a fraction himself). As you'll recall, Nathalie was injured @ Canberra less than a week B4 the AO started. She "healed" without utilizing what would have been a Sydney referral, but even this board was unsure of her status after the Canberra w/o, remember? Bally is still limited by fatigue, and might have been helped with that residual effect of the illness. I offered the referrals, they declined. End of story. Hurley, all she needed to do was set up a hotmail, etc. acct. and e-mail Mikhail. (AFTER her agency's Moscow office verified the facts, of course). (I will leave Eggy out of this henceforth, as you know him far better than I do). You're correct that there are limits; @ 21, she was old enough to know them and where to "draw the line". Your "slippery slope" arguement is bogus. Did Pierre and Juju have armed guards outside his family's butcher shop they lived above?

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM
I love Gwyneth Paltrow. She's 30. So I can call her unannounced and tell her to stop everything and set up a hotmail account so she can e-mail me when I'm feeling blue? Just because she's 30 and not 18?

You really don't get it. Too bad. I don't talk to crazies, so we're done here.

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:57 PM
One more thing, actually.

Your accounts of conversations with Dechy and Baltacha show they cut you off ASAP. Baltacha's doctors didn't want anything to do with you. Nastya called the cops.

Err...I think you're missing something here.

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Anyway, now that my ignore list has been updated and my cursor is over the Ban button and I have a page of WTA Tour phone numbers paper-clipped, just in case, anyone want to discuss Nastya's Top Ten chances now? :rolleyes:

Valda Lake
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Geez...I come in here in hopes of seeing mention of a possible Maleeva vs Myskina Final and instead get this nut-bar story!

Anyway...that was a waste of time...good posts Hurley!

Hurley
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:14 PM
9 (10) J. DOKIC 2353.00
10 (9) M. SELES 2202.00
11 (11) A. MYSKINA 2129.00 DOHA QF 40
12 (12) C. RUBIN 2127.00

By beating Safina, Myskina will have picked up 25 more ranking points and 8 quality points, which will push her up to 2162.

If she can reach the final, tack on another 30 ranking points for 2192. Quality points for the higher-ranked player, Pratt, would be 10. That would total 2202 and TIE her with Seles.

Astonishingly enough...Nastya has MORE quality points than Seles and would therefore be ranked #10 in that situation. So, according to my math (feel free to correct me, anyone) should Nastya make the final, beating Pratt in the semis, she'll be #10.

If she loses before then, or beats Wartusch in the semifinals, it won't be enough. The title, though, would definitely do it.

Valda, I think Maleeva would be a stern test for Nastya in the final. So would Conchita. But I'm hoping for an all-Russian final! :D

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Hurley, you may call me whatever you would like. I don't need to talk to you either. However, you added a post to me, so I will make a final reply to you. Mikhail wasn't simply "feeling blue". The love of his life had internal organs crushed @ the age of 20. The comparison you made is one of the craziest things I have ever read in a post on this board. Re. Dechy and Bally, they themselves (politely) "passed". No hard feelings. And re. "Nastya called the cops" - ever hear of using error as its own justification? If your point is that a celebrity's "perks" supercede acting like a caring member of society (except in staged photo op's of course), you may well be correct. This is truly sad.

SJW
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:17 PM
btw why cant she be called Ana???

dammit i do that sometimes lol :)

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Anyway, looks like she'll pick up a few more points unless a miracle saves Safina in the next couple of minutes. Go, Nastya!

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:08 PM
She beat Dina :D

But Pratt lost to Wartusch, which is great for Patricia ;) but now Nastya will have to win the title to reach #10.

sartrista7
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Hurley
Valda, I think Maleeva would be a stern test for Nastya in the final. So would Conchita. But I'm hoping for an all-Russian final! :D

And, Wartusch pending, an all-Russian final it will be :D Lina and Elena L both won.

SJW
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:54 PM
well guys?? why does she have to be called Nastya and cant be called Ana???

Hurley
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Nastya is just what she prefers to be called, I suppose. :p

Doha on the Volga! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm so thrilled for Patricia, but she's going DOWN! :D

Davay Nastya! Davay Lina!

jd4eva
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM
rd878: I'm sorry at first I thought that Anastasia overeacted but after reading your posts, I think she was definitely justified in what she did. Your logic behind doing what you did just simple astounds me, you can't just "call" people and expect them to do what you say, especially if they are in a position in which they are susceptible to people like stalkers etc.

I am sorry for your friend, but what you did was ridiculous and stupid. I'm glad Anastasia had the sense to check you out.

pixy75
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Nastya is best person of wta player I've ever met....:hearts:
This is true:wavey:

King Lindsay
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:05 PM
another reminder that the Internet is full of wackos and freaks and even worse than that. And yes, jd4eva, i'm talkin' to you!

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I had let the matter drop here, but will answer you, jd4eva. (As I have no idea of the issues between you and KL, I will not involve myself). She indeed SHOULD have had me and ESPECIALLY the facts checked out. (Her agency has a Moscow office and could easily have done so. And granting your view about the police report being wise, OK. Nothing came of it anyhow. BUT, she could have withdrawn the complaint after her agency's Moscow office verified the facts. I would then have been slightly PO'd, but not enough to even post). Hurley, thank you for deleting the "diss". To answer your post about the 2 polite ASAP's (on which you are correct), I have no regrets. I had potentially helpful information, offered to share it and let them "take it from there", they declined, but I tried to make it available. Nathalie wasn't going to win the AO with or without it; Bally is still not nearly 100% after a quite serious illness and I would feel guilty had I not offered the information. To your point about agencies, they don't pass on info or requests, they offer autographed pictures. AND, I have no "sports collectibles" and don't want any. BTW, who insults me or disagrees isn't so important - the players are just people, period. I only wanted people to think about the larger "us and them" issue. Lastly, the endless dialogue totally belies the 5 minute nature of the "chat" with Ms. Myskina.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Well, rd, probably best to let this die. I certainly won't try to escalate it. I'll just say this in the nicest way I can: some people here have been very harsh in the way they have viewed your actions. If Nastya had had people like Hurley and ys advising her, you can see what direction her advisers would have pushed her in. :)

Like it or not, a young female semi-celebrity and her people will always treat a guy calling like you did as a potential stalker. And, no, they are not going to conduct their own investigation by calling someone in Moscow to, in turn, call a hospital over there. They are much more likely to call the police to get the caller checked out.

I hope you can see now that she acted in a way that many others would have reacted in the same situation, with hardnosed advisers around them. I've been sympathetic to you, but if I'd been her lawyer I might have given the same advice: don't go to any trouble, just notify the police. At the very least, I hope you can now see that she is not a person who deserves your avowed hatred.

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Jouissant, perhaps hatred IS too strong a word. Let's just say "disdain". ;)

xcrtbckhnd
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Strange thread, but any-hoo....I like Anastasia Myskina a lot and I think her game is great. She had her most successful GS in AO 2003 and that's a great sign for her. I wouldn't be surprised to see her reach the Top 10 very soon and stay in the 8-12 range for quite a while. IMHO, she deserves it. She has played very consistently in the last year- except last year's GS's, and now she has at least proven that she can hold her seeding and handle the pressure in GS's as well. Her game is still developing and she doesn't really have a shot that seems to break down a lot. I'll reserve judgement on the situation mentioned in this thread since the facts are 2nd-hand and subject to interpretation. I will say that it's usually better to err on the side of caution and play it safe when faced with the unknown..... Later everyone, I'm off to Valentine's Day dinner with my sexy BF. Good luck Nastya- I hope you or Lina (or even Elena) win this thing!!!

Hurley
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:04 AM
If she can hang around the 8-12 ranking, I'll be thrilled. A career similar to Sandrine Testud's would be fine by me. I won't complain if she wants to do even better. ;)

tenn_ace
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Nastya currently #9 in the race to the WTA Championship (390 points). If she wins the final she'll add 43 points more (or around that number), and will move to #8. #7 Eleni (461 points), #8 (currently) Elena B. (410 points)

tenn_ace
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:33 AM
and she's 10 points behind Monica in the ranking, so a win in the final will get her to #10 in the ranking

Dawn Marie
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:48 AM
What in the world? WOW! this is one scary ass thread.

LeonHart
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Nastya is the favorite to win the tournament now....Nastya will be in the top 10 for once!!! :D

tenn_ace
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Nastya won and now #10 in the ranking and #8 in the race

Chance
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Congratulations Myskina

Monica:sad:

Hurley
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM
;)

lin
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Congrats Nastya :D

Hurley
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Right around this time last year is where she really started to make her move, so almost every week from now on will require some point defense.

Here's hoping she can do that well, and hang near the #10 ranking for the rest of the year.

No matter what, though....there is a list of all of the Top Ten players since the computer rankings began in the WTA Media Guide. Nastya makes that list next year, and she'll never be taken off of it. :D

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Awwww special!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Wertheim predict Myskina to break the top ten in one of his comments last year sometime? ;)

Hurley
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM
He did say that she would probably finish the year in the Top Ten. He was almost right.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:15 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, NASTYA! :bounce: