PDA

View Full Version : Venus puts trust in God and her racket

locks
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Venus puts trust in God and her racket
2003-02-12 14:05:43 GMT (Reuters)

BRUSSELS, Feb 12 (Reuters) - American Venus Williams has no fear of a war in Iraq, because she knows God will provide -- and everything else can be solved through tennis.

The possibility of war in Iraq has gripped the world for months, but Venus is not afraid, she said in an interview published on Wednesday.

"God will protect us. I trust in God and not in people. People make mistakes," she told Belgium's De Morgen newspaper.

Her faith made her happy and took away her troubles, she said. "God is watching over us. Religion allows me to let go of tennis a bit emotionally."

Venus, in Belgium this week as top seed in the $585,000 Antwerp Diamond Games, admitted that there were some areas -- such as racism in sport -- where she would have to fight her own battles.

Black players such as her and younger sister Serena were criticised for things that other players were not, she said.

"I know I can't change the world," she said. So she would just have to win her battles by proving her point on court.

"I'll just let my racket do the talking. If anyone has a problem with me, let's just play a match."

She also hit back at complaints that the two sisters -- ranked one and two in the world -- were dominating the game.

"I just don't understand it. If we are succesful, there is a problem. And when we're not successful, then there is also a problem. It's like we are never able to do things right."

Serena entered the pantheon of greats in January when she completed a sweep of all four grand slam titles. Venus lost in all four, the first woman ever to do so back-to-back. Undaunted, she vowed to return to the top.

"I plan to go on until I'm tired of this game," the world number two said. "I plan to fight, I won't give up my job just like that. I will become number one again," she said.

"The problem is that Serena has won the right tournaments."

tennisIlove09
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by locks

"I plan to go on until I'm tired of this game," the world number two said. "I plan to fight, I won't give up my job just like that. I will become number one again," she said.

"The problem is that Serena has won the right tournaments."

Hmmm...sounds like Venus is "over" the Serena thing. We will see in Miami I guess

Okasu
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I picked up on that too.