PDA

View Full Version : Where does Monica go from here?

ttaM
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Here second 2r loss of the year. Things aren't looking up. She didn't look that great in the pics taken from the player welcome party. I hope she pulls out of Dubai and works on her serve! What is this new coach doing for her? With her current game Monica is going to stay around the 10-8 and perhaps fall out of the top 10. :sad:

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:18 PM
If Myskina does well here.... Seles is out of the top 10.

Jakub
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:21 PM
And it all began with this stupid accident in Australia :sad:

Be back soon MONICA :kiss:

Grice
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
I so concerned for Monica... i wonder what's wrong? are the lower ranked players simply getting better, especially when they play Monica and know exploit her weaknesses by movng her round the court...
i get the feeling the players are kinda getting used to Monica's game and the other players' defensive skills are getting better... so Monica's groundies are less of a threat nowadays bcos the balls just keep coming back frustrating her?

Grice
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:23 PM
I hate to see her fall out of the top 10...

Bероника
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Seles

:sad: Then,I'm sorry,but I wish Myskina an early exit

BK4ever
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Give me a damn break, its one bad loss...CALM DOWN

BTW...Lina is very good and had it not been for her injuries last year, she would have probably ended the year soundly in the top 20.

maccardel
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Well the way things look right now, it seems that monica is going down......the rankings of course. She needs to get in shape for the year end since it's only eight players this year.

Yak
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Myskina will win the tournament so Monica IS out of the top 10!

ttaM
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Its not just this loss, BK. She struggled in all her matches in Tokyo. Having to come back after losinga set, or having to come down from a break. And after struggling to win the first set against Davenport, gets creamed in the next two. I'm not doubting the talent of Lina. But following the score in the scores thread Monica was having game points and losing them, this has become a usual thing for her. We all know Monica is more than capable for getting into the Top 7 in the world. And I don't care how many points Monica has to defend where ever now, with her current game she won't be going far. She needs to go home and work on her game.

Jakub
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:42 PM
I agree with GoMonica ,
Monica should take 2-3 weeks break, and work on her game in home, just see what was wrong today, try to improve service.
Lina is a good player, but she shouldn`t be able to get a close score with Monica when they are both playing their game. I`m sure Monica wasn`t doing that today and that`s why she lost :sad::sad:

miranda_lou
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Monica doesn't have a new coach, according to her management people. That guy that everybody says is her "coach" was just hitting with her.

selesadmirer
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:22 PM
This was a very discouraging loss and i hope she wakes up before its too late,she isn't getting any younger.

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:00 PM
That's her 2nd loss to a player outside the top 50 this year. What goes first. The ability to completely dominate those ranked below you? Or the ability to defeat those ranked above you?

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:17 PM
i'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I really do think this could be the last year. this would be the first time in her career she has fallen out of the top ten because of her play, not because of an injury. of course, she might not, depends on Myskina. if the year continues to go like this, I don't think a 30 year old monica (come December) will be back.

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Seles Myskina Rubin
2364 2150 2127
02 Doha - 163 61 0
---- ---- ----
2201 2089 2127
18th + 0 33 0
---- ---- ----
curr 2201 2122 2127
03 Doha + 1 0* 0
---- ---- ----
2202 2122 2127

So the rankings right this second are

2202 Seles
2127 Rubin
2122 Myskina*

But when we subtract next weeks points ...

2202 2122 2127
02 Dubai - 119 68 0
---- ---- ----
2083 2054 2127

2127 Rubin
2083 Seles
2054 Myskina*

I think Monica is going to be out of the
top ten next week. She needed to defend
those Doha points.

*Myskina doesn't get Doha 03 points
added, yet, becasue it isn't yet
a top 17 result.

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I don't think Monica will retire this year, but I do think she will next year.

schris
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:47 PM
I hope she will be back before she retires...

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Let her decide when she's done. Quit telling people how to live their lives. If I said that your favorite should blow her nose or dig in her arse, you'd be violently fighting w/me. So, just let it go. If you don't like her so much why do you care?

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I don't see anybody telling anyone else how to live their life. I see speculation that she might retire soon.

ys
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:08 PM

The worrying thing for Seles isn't just that she will be out of the top 10. The worrying thing is that she is out of Top 10 after playing an year without major injuries, i.e., it's not 7 or 9 events that she played. It's 14. Of course, it's not Dokic's 29 or Myskina's 27. But it's as many as Williams sisters needed to be two heads and shoulders above the pack. And, it's not realistic to expect Seles to play more than that. Meaning, that her current rankings are probably not undervalued.. And given her loss to Lina, we can even suggest that her rankings might be a reasonable reflection of her current playing strength..

Monica_Rules
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Yes but Monica missed 3 clay court tournies last year which is her best surface then missed the hardcourt season then didn't play much after the US open.I'm sure she'll be back in the top 10 soon!

ys
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:25 PM
She did play three clay court tournies last year. Do you expect her to play 6?
US hardcourt season, she played Stanford, LA, USO. DO you expect her to play more than that?
After US Open - she didn't play much, but has she played much after US Open any time recently?

She needs to get better results in tournaments she plays, not by playing more tournaments - she is not 20 yo to build up her rankings extensive way..

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:28 PM
ys, as i recall, she only played Hilton head and Madrid, and only played Stanford before the US Open.

ys
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:43 PM
ys, as i recall, she only played Hilton head and Madrid

And RG..

and only played Stanford before the US Open.

You are right, I've mistaken LA Masters with LA hardcourt event..

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:49 PM
of course she played RG. I guess the thinking in the Seles camp is that she'll tack on Amelia Island and the Italian Open, and come summer, san diego, LA and New Haven or the Canadian. If that happens, and Monica plays all the events she played last year, she'll be up at 18, 19 tournaments by the USO.

Of course, that will not happen, because Monica is never able to play that many events without being hurt. She has 14 tournaments right now, and that's about where she'll stay.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Lina is an excellent player and clearly back to old form, so good for her. However, I still truly believe Monica's ankle is bothering her severely. She has never been one to blow her own horn about her injuries and I think she just plays through the pain. I'm amazed she can even play still because that was a nasty fall. My thought is because her ankle is killing her, her movement isn't 100%, because of that she feels the need to go for more and hit winners straightaway so it is not exploited, which results in a lot of errors. Monica should not pick up a racquet until a few days before IW imo.

Brian Stewart
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:00 AM
To answer Volcana's question, the ability to consistently dominate those below you goes first. You get more "bad" losses as you get older. No matter how hard you train, and how well you focus, some days "it" just isn't there.

If you look at the last few years of Navratilova's career, she had quite a few "un-Navratilova" losses. But she was also able to compete toe-to-toe with the top players, Graf and Seles, if she got to them. She still had enough game to beat them.

Granted, Seles has lost to 2 players outside of the top 50 this year. But you could almost put an asterix on them. She injured an ankle at Oz, and was clearly hampered by a half-step to a step. (And let's face it, she didn't have any extra steps to give.) This is not to say that Koukalova would automatically have lost had Seles been healthy, but you'd have to like Monica's chances.

And Krasnoroutskaya is badly under-ranked. She's clearly a top 50 talent, and more.

It happens to all players as they get around or over 30. The physical skills start to fade a bit, the concentration isn't as consistent. Seles isn't the athlete that Navratilova or Graf was. So if she's off a bit physically, whatever the reason, or her focus isn't sharp, she's going to get the odd "poor" (from a rankings perspective) loss. And, as with other greats, each will be followed by the inevitable invoking of "the R word". If she can accept these losses as part of the package, and accept that they will probably prevent her from achieving the very high ranking that she's used to, she can still be a force for years to come.

ktwtennis
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Monica really needs to refocus and place some goals. Even though she's an older player, I think that she isn't ambitious enough. She seems to always say that she's able to win a GS again, but never really has true goals. Sure, she says her serve and fitness are key, but does she ever produce on those aspects? NO! She fails every time! I think she needs to say HOW to get those things done to truly step it up. And she needs to believe that she can beat those top players!

selesrules
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM
It seems to me that almost every year since her comeback, there are times where she struggles, but somehow she comesback stronger. So why worry? :rolleyes:

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Seles may fall out of the top 10, but she will no doubt be back. She's *too* good to be out of the top 10

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Monica just had a bad day

its not like she was creamed, 5 and 5

She'll be back, fit, and ready for Dubai

but i do see your point

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:29 AM
To Dubai.

Chance
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Damn I think this is the 4th thread about Monica-

Monica was never guaranteed to win the match- Lina is a good player and Monica needs to REST that ankle. So it's not a huge surprise but the loss still suxs

I agree with Seles and Bradshaw.
Give her time to recover from that ankle injury before you tell her to quit tennis.

GOOOOOO MONICA

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Pete Sampras was seeded #17 at the US Open last year. Agassi jusy won OZ at 31, 0r 32, and he was as fit as any guy in the tournamnt. That type of success could be duplicated by a 30 year old on the women's side. Look at Steffi. You have to be a great player. And you have to be in the kind of condition we'd call 'good' in an eighteen year old.

Steffi was injured a lot. But she was never fat. So anytime she got her health together after 27 or so, she could still do what she did at 17. She just broke down more and more over time, which, I'm sorry ro say, is kind of normal.

Monica is reaching an age when some days, there just aren't any thunderbolts in the bag. But Monica can't just extend the rallies while she finds her game. If she lost 30 pounds, she'd have other options. As it is, she a one-dimensional power player with no plan 'B'. Now of course, it's a top five plan 'A', and most of the time it's there. But when she hasn't got her 'A' game, it's a loss.

I think after 2005, she won't be top ten player anymore.

Zummi
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Good post, Brian!

Go Monica!

bionic71
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:57 AM
The loss could be a blessing in disguise........
if the ankle is not 100% then she has a week of light practice and rest before Dubai.
She can work on her serve without putting much stress on the ankle. Hopefully it will all come together before returning for the U.S tournaments next month.

I suspect that Monica is still very "down" after the poor luck in Australia....she looked fit and ready to play some good tennis.

The Tokyo matches are an indication of very little!! That tournament is a strange little affair. All the matches are close as the surface is so bizarre.

This loss to Krasnoroutskaya is a setback in terms of ranking points and possible seedings/draws etc.but I expect alot of movement in the top 10 this year so I don't see it ias a big deal really. The points betwwen 5 and 12 are extremely close.

Miranda
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:59 AM
she looked so good in HK :sad:

damn it she is always unlucky :sad: in australia :sad:

keep fighting, monica, I love you :worship: :worship:

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:05 AM
I tend to agree with what Volcana posted in the last post.

Look, I like Monica she is a classy person and player but the writing has been on the wall. When it comes to slams at least. I will always cheer for her to win but when she lost to Lindsay last week I knew the deal. Seles ran outta gas.

Seles has great groundies, but if she wants to continue to hang in the top 10 she has to get herself 100% in the best shape of her life. A slow power babe that hits two hands off both sides is going to have it tough when these other power babes begin to get consistant. This isn't even counting injuries.

Honestly, Monica needs to hit the gym and get in great shape IF she wants to hold another slam trophy and not lose alot to these younger power people. I would like to see her give it a REAL shot before she retires.