PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Byrant, better than Jordan

3MTA3
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Kobe Bryant is playing his best basketball of the season, and it's an obvious coincidence that the Los Angeles Lakers are peaking, too.

Bryant scored 42 points Tuesday night despite sitting out the entire fourth quarter as the Lakers defeated the overmatched Denver Nuggets 121-93 for their season-high sixth straight win.

Bryant has scored 40 or more points 10 times this season. The last Laker to accomplish such a feat was Hall of Famer Jerry West, who scored 40 or more 13 times during the 1969-70 season.

Shaquille O'Neal added 20 points, eight rebounds and five assists and Samaki Walker had 14 points as the Lakers (25-23) moved a season-high two games over .500. O'Neal also sat out the fourth quarter.

The three-time defending champions have won 14 of 18 games to move within a half-game of Houston in the race for the final Western Conference playoff berth. The Lakers can overtake the Rockets as soon as Wednesday if they can beat Denver on the road - combined with a loss by Houston at Utah.

Bryant has scored at least 35 in each game of the winning streak.

"Sometimes the one does it, sometimes the two does it. Right now, the one's doing it and I'm chilling out. It's all good," O'Neal said.

vw43
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:12 PM
I love the Lakers and I love Kobe and Shaq. I think that if Kobe stays healthy he will break all of Jordan's records - which makes me kinda sad because Jordan is an icon and has done wonderful things for the game...

Anyway - to those that we're writing off the Lakers..sorry about ya..:p

3MTA3
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:15 PM
yes, they are still the team to beat, soory about your "queens" steve-o

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Love The Lakers
Love Kobie
Love Shaq
But Magic (#32) is my all time fave!

3MTA3
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:19 PM
yes, Magic was the man, the "showtime" Lakers were the shit

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:27 PM
The bench they had back then would have started for most any team in the league!

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Better than Mike? Not yet. But he's having a pretty good game tonight. The Lakers seem to be awake.

toreador
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:09 AM
:worship: shaq :worship:
:worship: kobe :worship:
:worship: lakers :worship:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I wished the season ended a few months ago...when they were playing like shit

Glad I'm not the only one.

Leena
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Ummm... no.

When Kobe is the main reason for winning 6 championships... then he has a case. He'd have 0 without Shaq.

I admit Kobe is a great player... overall one of the top 3 in the league... but the stats he's been putting up this year are inflated because the rest of the team is shit. He puts up far more shots, and handles the ball more than any other SG in the league.

decemberlove
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:15 AM
kobe will never be MJ

LeonHart
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:01 AM
KOBE & Lakers already won Championships 3 times, and they're bout to 4PEAT! when they get to six, then we can compare Jordan to Kobe ;)

Lakers is the reason i live in LA ;) :wavey:

King Satan
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Kobe is NOT better than MJ, atleast not yet. You guys have to remember Kobe is only 24 years old. He still has about four more years till he hits his prime, and yes I know, that's a scary thought :eek:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:22 PM
I am soooooooo relieved to see Shaq back in lineup! They have really picked up their game!

spokenword73
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:12 AM
The problem with the comparison to Michael is MJ carried the Bulls. We see what happens when Kobe tries to carry the Lakers (when Shaq is out), they fall to last place, barely making the playoffs. Four-peat?Puhleeeeeeeeeze

decemberlove
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:20 AM
yes, kobes stats are inflated. plus, with shaq around he isn't guarded as much as he should be cos everyone is trying to stop shaq.

once again, he will never be MJ. he doesnt have the charisma that MJ has... he doesnt have the talent that MJ had either.

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by robrich
The problem with the comparison to Michael is MJ carried the Bulls. We see what happens when Kobe tries to carry the Lakers (when Shaq is out), they fall to last place, barely making the playoffs. Four-peat?Puhleeeeeeeeeze

Hello, did you see how the rest of the team played when shaq was out? That fuckin team sucks, they couldn't buy a shot. Not one guy was shooting over 50% from the field. How do you expect them to be good when the rest of the guys are bums? not even MJ could do it by himself.

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Shaquille O'Neal > Bill Cartwright

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Bill Cartwright was the shit! ;)

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Love, no one will ever be MJ, but Kobe is gonna leave his own legacy. He has the talent to become one of the greatest players ever.

spokenword73
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by TheGuy
Hello, did you see how the rest of the team played when shaq was out? That fuckin team sucks, they couldn't buy a shot. Not one guy was shooting over 50% from the field. How do you expect them to be good when the rest of the guys are bums? not even MJ could do it by himself.

do you really think Kobe could LEAD any team to SIX CHAMPIONSHIPS??? That's what MJ did...if it weren't for Shaq, Kobe would be just another... uh... Vince Carter:o

toreador
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Love, no one will ever be MJ

but why? :sad:

Jordan.
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Kobe looks better than Michael too :D :drool:

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by robrich
do you really think Kobe could LEAD any team to SIX CHAMPIONSHIPS??? That's what MJ did...if it weren't for Shaq, Kobe would be just another... uh... Vince Carter:o

Honestly, I do, Kobe has everything it takes to be on top. He has the desire, the work ethic, the leadership (which he's really developing this year) he has everything you would ever want in a player, and most importantly, he has the talent.

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, MJ was a "Vince Carter" till he was 28.

What Kobe needs now is to become a great defender, and I think that's what he will develop over the next few years. I honestly think that's the only thing that seperates him from MJ rightnow.

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Sophie_Angel
but why? :sad:

Because babe, MJ was God on the b ball court lol

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Yes, Kobe is very talented for sure, but he just can't dominate a game like Michael can! Plus, Michael (like Magic) brought some leadership to the floor that Kobe just doesn't have. Shaq does. Don't get me wrong, I like Kobe, but he just isn't Michael.

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Of course he isn't michael, MJ is the greatest ever. Kobe is gonna be Kobe, and their games are really different if you look closely.

The leadership will come I think. Rightnow he's working on it, and he seems to be leading his team. Really he hasn't had a chance to be the leader that he's capable of being, cos of shaq.

Isn't it funny how most of you are saying the same thing about Kobe that they said about MJ. They used to say he wasn't a leader and he couldn't lead his team to a championship, but he turned out ok i guess lol.

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:36 PM
You're right though barrie, kobe can't dominate an entire game like MJ used to. Kobe can dominate on one end of the court, but he can't dominate the defensive end like MJ used to.

LeonHart
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:05 PM
NOW the question is....Whos better??

Yao Ming or Shaq??? :eek:

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:05 PM
How dare you even ask that *smack*

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:19 PM
pfffff didi, yao ming is a rookie compared to Shaq in the NBA! :p

lol heard the Yao Ming joke?;)

Yao Ming's American fans are so funny! they always yell:

Yao Ming, Tou Lan! which means Yao Ming, shoot! (the ball)

BUT since they don't pronouce it correctly, and instead of Yao ming Shoot, they say Yao Ming is Lazy!

as your parents or something if you don't get it;)

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Yao will be great, but rightnow he sucks compared to shaq. Actually their's no comparison :p

what joke marri?

LeonHart
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Yao Ming is slower than Shaq, but he's got skills!

LeonHart
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM
OH and i get the joke marri ;)

King Satan
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:29 PM
yeah, the boy does have talent. He just needs more strength and experience :)

LeonHart
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:09 AM
But u guys knoe that China gets half his income?? :( I think that REALLY looks bad on the chinese government! Right now China are breaking down the communism wall, but leaving some exceptions...:mad:

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:16 AM
But didn't china pay for the training he's had all his life? isn't it like he's paying them back?

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Well, when MJ was 24 he was averaging 37 points a game over a season. When he was 26 he was averaging 32.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists. So as much as I love Vince Carter, I don't think that's who MJ was. And I don't think Kobe has surpassed that. He may play similar to Mike, but he's the Scottie on the Lakers.

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:22 AM
DH, kobe is no Scottie!. When the game is on the line, or you need a big basket, you go to Kobe. When the game was on the line for the bulls, you didn't give the ball to Scottie. lol

Honestly DH, if Kobe would have been drafted to a cheap team, you don't think he could put up crazy numbers like that? Kobe has a different role than MJ had. MJ was the main man on offense, where as kobe had to be a distributor.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:55 AM

Honestly DH, if Kobe would have been drafted to a cheap team, you don't think he could put up crazy numbers like that? Kobe has a different role than MJ had. MJ was the main man on offense, where as kobe had to be a distributor.

The flaw with your theory is that Kobe is only averaging 0.7 assists per game more than Mike did at the same age with less NBA experience, but 5.7 points less per game. Not to mention being 80 points lower on shooting %. Bascially, he's putting the ball up only one and a half times less a game than Mike did back then, but showing a lot less points for it. Plus, although Kobe pentrates great and shoots FT's great, he's still inferior on both counts to Mike (in the day).

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:11 AM
I'm disappointed in Kobe's second half performance tonight :sad: he forced too many shots and didn't pass the ball. :sad:

In the second half, he looked like the oooold Kobe :sad: and shaq sucked tonight :sad:

Aphrodite
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Kobe can never be a MJ, kobe is a great player, but come on, michael is the zeus of basketball, he is a god.
Go to NBA
and just look at MJ's stats, and his awards, and his titles
he has one the year mvp 5 times( 2nd to karim abdul jabber-6, but because he played for 20 years;) )

Michael is first in points per game 30.5,
Michael is third in the all time scoring points field and he has played half the minutes of what the #1 and #2 have played.
Michael is up their in assists,steals, rebounds, percantages, he has scored 63 points vs Boston when they were at their best. (85-86)
Michael is just inmeasurable, this is shaq and phil jackson's last year on the NBA (phil for sure and shaq pretty sure as well, though rumours say he might return to Magic)

Without those two, kobe like before will struggle to make the playoffs
Kobe's shot percantage is not the best, he is a ball hog, a poor team player, and a guy who benefits from everyone passing him the ball.
We will see next year when the legends are gone from LA
and kobe is alone:(

Do not ever compare him to jordan, that is really funny.
at 40 jordan can still score 45 points. that is impressive.

Kobe will be one of the best for sure, but he will never be #23.

and if you thinks so that is really childish its like comparing
Britney to madonna, christina to mariah, papa roach to metallica or slim 182 to the misfits.

Its beyond comparison
what will the next be avril to debbie harry:(

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Aphrodite

Kobe's shot percantage is not the best, he is a ball hog, a poor team player, and a guy who benefits from everyone passing him the ball.
We will see next year when the legends are gone from LA
and kobe is alone:(

DO you even watch the games? you're pretty stupid to say Kobe is a ball hog, are ball hogs in the top ten in assists?

I doubt you even ever watch the laker games.

Aphrodite
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:15 AM
I watch them, and I have my opinion, just because he has 6 and a half assists per game doesn't mean he isn't a ball hog
he passes the ball six or seven times to shaq, and the team pass like 45 times to him for a shot, I would be suprised if he didn't have that many assists with as many minutes as he plays, and with the amount of quality players that are on the lakers(Shaq)
this is not the team that one the first time with quality players as Harper, Rice, and a sharp Shaw and great 3 pointer such as robert was.

and without phil jackson to command kobe on every play kobe would be passing the ball what, 1 or twice.
Jackson and Shaq make him look that good when he isn't really that damn good.

How many times has Kobe been the MVP of the season or the mvp of the final, I will answer that 0.
Shaq on the other hand thats an other thing.

As far as basketball, I am a girl and I bet i can kick your ass on the court and in nba trivia, thats a promise sweetie.

and you are the idiot to compare a 24 year old's accomplishments with a basketball legend.
How long have you watched the NBA 2 maybe 3 years, have you even seen MJ at his best, if you had you would chill.
If kobe is such a great team player how come the team when left alone with him bombs, and how come he is always the one to have beef with someone on his very own team, sounds like he is a real team player.
poor mike always compared with the carter's, Iverson's, Mccgrady's, and kobe's.

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:25 AM
First of all, i'll stomp your ass at b ball ;)

I've been watching b ball all my life for your info.

I already explained what happen when he had control of the team earlier in the year. (NO ONE MADE SHOTS!)

and i didn't compare Kobe's stats to MJ's all time stats, cos obviously we don't know what Kobe is gonna do in the future.

Like i said many times before, their will never be another MJ, but kobe has a chance to be just as good in his own way.

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:34 AM
btw, all you need is one pass anyways, drive and kick ;)

oh and check your PMs

Aphrodite
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:15 AM
I did, we will have to play basketball sometime, you can tell your freinds that a greek godess whooped your ass at basketball;)

King Satan
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:37 AM
oooo you wanna whoop my ass ;):o

you live way too far away for us to play, I live in LA :p

3MTA3
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:16 PM
the point is this, all of what you are saying about Kobe was said about MJ until he began to win. If he continues to play in the league, he will break all of Jordans records save one, MVP awards.

Also, where would MJ be w/o the likes of John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Horace Grant, and the Worm? I recall Paxson making a winning 3 pointer in MJs second championship. HAd he missed, only 5 rings.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:40 PM
You're right though barrie, kobe can't dominate an entire game like MJ used to. Kobe can dominate on one end of the court, but he can't dominate the defensive end like MJ used to.

Another one that was very good at it was Magic Johnson, though his style was a bit different than Michaels! Do you remember how Magic used to run the floor?

Kobe plays more of a "Scottie Pippen" type role to Shaq. Very talented, very neccessary, but not the leader.

decemberlove
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 3MTA3
the point is this, all of what you are saying about Kobe was said about MJ until he began to win. If he continues to play in the league, he will break all of Jordans records save one, MVP awards.

Also, where would MJ be w/o the likes of John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Horace Grant, and the Worm? I recall Paxson making a winning 3 pointer in MJs second championship. HAd he missed, only 5 rings.

where would kobe be without shaq?

yeah kobe gets points during the reg season... but come playoffs, the only reason the lakers win is cos of shaq.

shaq is the main man on the lakers, not kobe. if kobe was a new MJ, the lakers wouldnt be where they are now... not even in a playoff spot. ha. and they wouldnt have lost against the knicks, would they?

King Satan
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Miss love, Kobe saves the lakers asses a lot in the playoffs/finals. :) (you're just mad cos we kicked your teams ass:p)

Barrie, I never got to see Magic in his prime :sad: (i'm only 19), but i always watch old laker footage on tv, and man did he get up and down the court like no one else. :eek:

oh btw, i did get to catch his "comeback" ;):o

Barrie_Dude
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Miss love, Kobe saves the lakers asses a lot in the playoffs/finals. :) (you're just mad cos we kicked your teams ass:p)

Barrie, I never got to see Magic in his prime :sad: (i'm only 19), but i always watch old laker footage on tv, and man did he get up and down the court like no one else. :eek:

oh btw, i did get to catch his "comeback" ;):o

Ahhhh, there were some classic games there! Especially between Magic and the Lakers vs. Larry Bird and the Celtics!

"Comeback":rolleyes: I'm not a big "comeback" fan! Witness Jordan in his latest and this will tell you why!