PDA

View Full Version : Venus Puts Trust in God and Her Racket

GogoGirl
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:40 PM
"I HEARD THAT - VENUS" "COME ON GIRL - LET'S GO"

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=2215010

Venus Puts Trust in God and Her Racket

Wed February 12, 2003 09:08 AM ET

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - American Venus Williams has no fear of a war in Iraq, because she knows God will provide -- and everything else can be solved through tennis.

The possibility of war in Iraq has gripped the world for months, but Venus is not afraid, she said in an interview published Wednesday.

"God will protect us. I trust in God and not in people. People make mistakes," she told Belgium's De Morgen newspaper.
Her faith made her happy and took away her troubles, she said. "God is watching over us. Religion allows me to let go of tennis a bit emotionally."

Venus, in Belgium this week as top seed in the $585,000 Antwerp Diamond Games, admitted that there were some areas -- such as racism in sport -- where she would have to fight her own battles.
Black players such as her and younger sister Serena were criticized for things that other players were not, she said.

"I know I can't change the world," she said. So she would just have to win her battles by proving her point on court.

"I'll just let my racket do the talking. If anyone has a problem with me, let's just play a match."

She also hit back at complaints that the two sisters -- ranked first and second in the world -- were dominating the game.

"I just don't understand it. If we are successful, there is a problem. And when we're not successful, then there is also a problem. It's like we are never able to do things right."

Serena entered the pantheon of greats in January when she completed a sweep of all four grand slam titles. Venus lost in all four, the first woman ever to do so back-to-back. Undaunted, she vowed to return to the top.

"I plan to go on until I'm tired of this game," the world No. 2 said. "I plan to fight, I won't give up my job just like that. I will become No. 1 again."

"The problem is that Serena has won the right tournaments."

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
That's my gurl!
Go and VEEPEAT!!!

Uxobi
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
You go, Venus!!!!!!

SerenaSlam
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
so true statement, surprised some didn't come in here and critisize her for her comments. but really venus and serena have always let the tennis do the talking, that is why serena has lost only 2 matches since wimbledon 2002 and venus has only lost 2 matches sine wimbledon 2002! (both to serena for venus)!

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Why do you think someone would criticize her for this? Im not a fan at all, but its a nice article and illustrates something about the Williams sisters that I already know. They never ever give up and I respect that.

But I think Venus lost more than 2 matches since Wimby. She lost to Kim at the champs and Maleeva at Moscow.

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:22 PM
That's my girl :bounce: :bounce:

"I just don't understand it. If we are successful, there is a problem. And when we're not successful, then there is also a problem. It's like we are never able to do things right."

No kidding!!! Some of the complainers sound so woeful now:eek:

Devon
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:39 PM
She lost to Serena at he US Open (1 match) and then to Maleeva in Moscos (2nd match). She retired playing Kim.

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:48 PM
and serena again at the aus open, so that is 4 losses., not 2. Im not a fan of Clijsters, I know venus was injured but Kim played very well that week and I think its fair to say that she could have won against a healthy Venus.

tennisfan1972
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Whoa!! Sounds like Venus is ready for battle. Oh wow i guess she is sending a message to the WTA, serena included. sounds like fighting words to me. Bring on the drama. Things are heating up!

TeeRexx
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:55 PM
That is why VENUS is my fave.
She has class, courage and intelligence.

If VENUS plays Kim in the finals, she will defeat the Belgian.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by GogoGirl
"I HEARD THAT - VENUS" "COME ON GIRL - LET'S GO"

"I'll just let my racket do the talking. If anyone has a problem with me, let's just play a match."

She also hit back at complaints that the two sisters -- ranked first and second in the world -- were dominating the game.

Serena entered the pantheon of greats in January when she completed a sweep of all four grand slam titles. Venus lost in all four, the first woman ever to do so back-to-back. Undaunted, she vowed to return to the top.

"I plan to go on until I'm tired of this game," the world No. 2 said. "I plan to fight, I won't give up my job just like that. I will become No. 1 again."

"The problem is that Serena has won the right tournaments."

Suprising comments from Vee. Go head Queen! She is right on, and her and Rena are gonna be in a dogfight for no.1. :D :)

ayanate
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear that Venus still has fire in her belly and wants to be no 1, beating a hot Serena would be the ultimate sporting challenge for any lady and we the spectators can look forward to some very dramatic battles.

tennisfan1972
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:23 PM
I knew Venus had this kinda fire inside her all along. I think she just suppresses it a bit more now, unlike hingis, serena etc.

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM
To be honest, I don't see much fight in Venus' statements here... She wants to be #1... I'm really shocked she didn't say she'd be happy being 2nd best her entire career.

Freewoman33
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:07 PM
That's the Venus I know and love very much. I'm glad that she is not discouraged, and is willing to work hard to attain the number 1 ranking again. GO VENUS!!!

TSequoia01
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Venus and Serena will go back and forth. 2003 will be Vee's year, she is working hard to get back to the throne. Anxious as to how she will play this week. Go get them Vee!! Beat'em down Ms Williams, beat'em down! :o

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM
:kiss: that's my girl :D

persond
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Leena
To be honest, I don't see much fight in Venus' statements here... She wants to be #1... I'm really shocked she didn't say she'd be happy being 2nd best her entire career.

:D Just because YOU don't see the "fight" in Venus' words, don't mean they're not there!!! Why oh why would YOU think Venus would be "happy" being 2nd best??? But, hey, that's probably 10 times "better" than your fav (Elena) will ever achieve in her career!!! WANT TO BET?????:p :p :p :p

Venus Forever
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Just like Venus said. SHE WILL BE #1 AGAIN!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by persond
:D Just because YOU don't see the "fight" in Venus' words, don't mean they're not there!!! Why oh why would YOU think Venus would be "happy" being 2nd best??? But, hey, that's probably 10 times "better" than your fav (Elena) will ever achieve in her career!!! WANT TO BET?????:p :p :p :p

OK.. I'm gonna have to stop being sarcastic on this board.

It's obvious that Venus wants to be #1 in the world again, just like every other player out there. Just because she says she does, it doesn't make her a "fighter", it's just stating the obvious.

Dissing my Lena... them's fightin' words. Well, Lena is already within 10 times "better" than the number 2 ranking. She's reached 16, which would make her 8 times "worse".

I'll go out on a limb, and say that Lena strives to be #1 in the world.

OH, THAT ELENA BOVINA! WHAT A FIGHTER! SHE WANTS TO BE #1! SHE DOESN'T GIVE UP! SHE HAS SO MUCH HEART! WHAT A TOUGH SON OF A GUN THAT RUSSIAN WHIPPERSNAPPER IS!

Lena also does have a realistic shot of reaching #1 someday too... so, nyah :p

Informative
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:15 PM
I never doubted for a second either Venus's intense desire or belief in herself. She's a special player and person, and always has been (and always will be). Venus is a champion and becoming #1 again is just a matter of time. Watch and see. Serena knows this, even if others don't. BTW: Not counting her five losses to Serena, Venus is a scorching 69-5 or .932 since January, 2002 and Serena is also on fire against the rest of the WTA at 62-5 or .925! Which means that the ONLY battle for supremacy in women's tennis today is between these two extraordinary individuals. I'm ecstatic to see that Venus has thrown down the gauntlet and is ready to do battle with her sibling. Go Venus go!

Fortis
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:16 PM
After that match at the Australian Open in which she made a mockery and show out of putting a 'fight" against Serena when everyone knew that she would lose in order to make Serena win the so-called Serena Slam, it is not surprising that she claims that she wants to be number 1 again.

I take everything I read with a grain of salt. I certainly hope Kim amd Justine evolve into players who can compete effectively with the Williamses.
When Chang mixed religion with sports everyone criticized him. Now sports is being mixed with politics and religion and....

I do not wish to judge , but it is strange that for people who claim to be religious Venus and Serena are willing to expose all sides of their anatomy for the almighty dollar.

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:25 PM
I do not wish to judge , but it is strange that for people who claim to be religious Venus and Serena are willing to expose all sides of their anatomy for the almighty dollar.

So what do you call this??
:rolleyes:

Jem
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:43 PM
As I've said before, I've never been a big fan of -- but neither do I dislike her -- Venus -- but my appreciation for her just went up exponentially. I admire her trust in God and her understanding that "people" make mistakes. In my mind, this is a very mature view of the world: "Her faith made her happy and took away her troubles, she said. "God is watching over us. Religion allows me to let go of tennis a bit emotionally."

It's great to see a young athlete, one of the true stars of our sport, have such solid faith and the understanding that faith is the be-all, end-all when you get right down to it.

Here's to a healthy, rejuvenated Venus in 2003. I'll be rooting for her more often than in the past -- that's for sure.

Shuji Shuriken
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Fortis..go sit on a volcano :fiery: :fiery:.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Fortis, what's good for you isn't always good for everyone else :)

It's not our part to question what Venus and Serena do that have no direct affect on anyone else.

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Venus is enlightened and mature. She is my favorite because she tells it like it is. Classy champ, keep on fightin Venus. How can anyone doubt her LOVE for the game!:):)

One can easily see who gets mad when Venus comes off extremely intelligent and mature though, and like Vee stated people make the mistakes. The mistake of still classing Afro-centric opionated women as to big for their britches. NOT!!

GET USE TO IT, U go NUBIAN QUEEN!

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:21 AM
I will become No. 1 again

:bounce:

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Fortis
After that match at the Australian Open in which she made a mockery and show out of putting a 'fight" against Serena when everyone knew that she would lose in order to make Serena win the so-called Serena Slam, it is not surprising that she claims that she wants to be number 1 again.

I take everything I read with a grain of salt. I certainly hope Kim amd Justine evolve into players who can compete effectively with the Williamses.
When Chang mixed religion with sports everyone criticized him. Now sports is being mixed with politics and religion and....

Please, and your faves are supposed to be perfect riggght:rolleyes: Lets certainly not go there.

servenrichie
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Fortis

A perfect example of these creeps Venus is talking about!

1jackson2001
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Oh yea..right on Venus!

Faith in God, let racket do the talking, and striving for that #1 spot. :hearts: I like that. :)