PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis in press conferences

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Besides being a great tennis champion, I consider Martina Hingis is also the greatest champion of all times in press conferences, sometimes naive, sometimes the nicest girl and often the bitchiest.

This thread for posting and commenting quotes from the Swiss-Miss.

1997 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP Final
September 7, 1997

M. HINGIS/V. Williams
6-0, 6-4

Q. Were you careful at the changeovers not to bump into her?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I was watching (laughter). I was like, you know, either I was faster than her. I was watching (laughter). But she, too, she was like not making the same mistake. But it was funny. (refers to the Irina Spirlea incident)

Q. You and Venus seem to get along okay. The other women have complained about her attitude. Do you consider that she has a problem with attitude or is it just you that's a nice person?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I think it's always hard when you're the newcomer on The Tour. It wasn't very easy for me, too. The other players just look at you. They don't know what to expect from you because everything is -- or everyone is talking about you, the media pay so much attention. If you don't bring the results, everyone is kind of not very happy because you haven't shown anything to the other players. I think her first statements, they weren't very nice against the other players. Because, you know, she said, "I'm the best player in the world." But she has changed very much from the other tournaments. When I saw the last two, three entries she made, she change a lot. She became a much nicer person on The Tour.

Q. How did you feel about the racial issue? Were you excited that she made it to the Finals?

MARTINA HINGIS: About the what?

Q. The racial issues, that so few black women have made it to the Finals. Did that affect you at all?

MARTINA HINGIS: (No response.)

Q. Are you excited about it?

MARTINA HINGIS: I mean, it's always good to have new faces out there. Especially in women's tennis, there are so many coming up now. The thing is, very nice to watch a Finals like Hingis/Williams than having someone else there. I don't care that much about who is on the other side actually. I think it's very good if you have all the people, all the races, all the world playing tennis.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Q. What does your mother think about the racket throwing?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, course she is happy, you know? (audience laughter).

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM
i miss those racket throws...

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM
LOL..this is a cute thread! I am not that much of a fan...but its nice seeing these quotes!

treufreund
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Funny how so many people either don't remember or have forgotten nice things Martina said. Meanwhile anything negative is repeated over and over. :rolleyes:

alex_nur
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Hahahaha....Hingis. It's a pitty you have to go out like this. I hope you can come back some time.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Where Martina's wrong all the way :Q. Would you think that (Venus)'s the toughest opponent for you on the Tour?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I think her and Anna. Well, she showed a great match, or yesterday in the afternoon, against Lindsay Davenport. I think those two are going to be definitely on the top in the future.

Q. More so than Serena?

MARTINA HINGIS: More Venus than Serena, yes.

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:35 PM
when was that quote?

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Q. Have you had distractions during the year?

MARTINA HINGIS: Of course, I had some bad losses as against Pierce or, you know, you never like to lose in a Grand Slam.

Q. I am talking off-court distractions.

MARTINA HINGIS: Oh, no. No. Nothing. I am safe. I am still in one piece.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by irma
when was that quote? KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA

March 26, 1998

V. WILLIAMS/M. Hingis

6-2, 5-7, 6-2

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:46 PM
US Open 1999
Q. Does it motivate you more when you see something in the headlines? Did you hear that Papa Williams predicted an all-Williams final?

MARTINA HINGIS: They always have a big mouth. They always talk a lot. It happened before. It's going to happen again. So I don't really worry about that.

Q. You don't put that paper up in the locker room?

MARTINA HINGIS: Not really (laughter). But I like that. It's more pressure on them. Whether they can handle it or not, now that's the question. Of course, the other players are pretty pumped up about that.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Serena's response to the next one :
Yesterday, Martina Hingis talked about your father's comments about you and Venus being in the Finals. She said they all have big mouths, or something to that effect. Does that offend you, or do you shrug it off? How do you react to that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I mean I really don't -- that's just her problem. She's always been the type of person that -- she says things, just speaks her mind. I guess it has a little bit to do with not having a formal education. But you just have to somehow just think more, you have to use your brain a little more in the tennis world. She does that well on the court. She's No. 1. She's doing very well. But, I mean, I just don't have anything negative to say about anyone. It just literally does not pay to say anything negative and bad about anyone. So... That's her opinion and she's entitled to her -- everyone is entitled to their own separate opinion. Obviously she's No. 1 so she can say whatever she would like to say. I personally don't think my mouth is big, if you're looking at it. (Laughter.)

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
And the next episode : 1999 U.S. OPEN
Flushing Meadows, New York City

September 3, 1999

M. HINGIS/S. Kloesel

6-3, 6-1

An interview with:

MARTINA HINGIS

WTA: Martina wants to say something before we start.

MARTINA HINGIS: I heard this morning that a certain person always asking for my autograph over and over at every tournament. I'd like to give something to that certain person, it's important to me, to Richard.

RICHARD WILLIAMS: Thank you, very much.

MARTINA HINGIS: It's pretty big, huh? I'm sure it's going to fit you. It's extra large. You don't have to ask me anymore.

RICHARD WILLIAMS: Thank you, very much. God bless you.

WTA: Questions for Martina.

Q. Do you have any of your grade school report cards or anything to show us? They were saying that you didn't have any education.

MARTINA HINGIS: I don't have any education (laughter)? I mean, I chose something else, education, going every day into the school. I think I learned still enough on traveling. I don't think I'm that dumb (laughter). I'd like to see some other people talking in three languages. It's not always easy. It's a little misunderstanding sometimes what I say. I don't always mean like to hurt anybody.

Q. Do you ever miss actually having gone to school on a regular basis and having a formal education?

MARTINA HINGIS: Never missed that. I was always very happy about, you know, the thing I'm doing right now. I don't think the money's too bad either (laughter).

Q. He's really always asked you for your autograph?

MARTINA HINGIS: Yeah, basically every single tournament when I saw him when the girls were playing, yeah.

Q. And you said no every single tournament?

MARTINA HINGIS: He was always showing his arm. I was like, "Why waste it? If you take a shower, it's going to go off anyway," so....

Q. Did he ask you to sign his arm?

MARTINA HINGIS: Yeah, he wanted me to sign his arm, yeah. I never do that (laughter).

Q. Was this sort of a truce offering because it happened this week that there have been a few words between the two camps that you decided that this is the time to give him the autograph?

MARTINA HINGIS: I think it's perfect timing, yeah.

Q. Did you read this in the paper yourself?

MARTINA HINGIS: Somebody, like the players, told me, then I got the newspaper. I just really quickly, you know. Serena came in before I had to go on court, and we both were kind of laughing about it. She came like straight at me. She was like, Did you read that? The people, they always blow it up. They just try to make something big out of nothing really. You know, it was just things happen. Between us, I mean, there is great relationship basically. I mean, we have fun when we played Arthur Ashe Day. We talk normally.

Q. Earlier Richard Williams said that he loved you and that you were a good human being. What are your thoughts about Richard? What do you think of him?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I think just the whole family... I mean, the girls, they play great tennis. They bring a lot to women's tennis, athleticism, the whole thing. People talk about them. They talk about women's tennis, so in that thing, I think it's a great deal having them on Tour. They're also playing great tennis. Also you can't really say it's boring right now.

Q. So you're not tired of him saying, "We're going to have another all-Williams final"?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, if it's going to happen, it's not too good for us, for me. But, I mean, he said it once. In Key Biscayne it happened. You know, I mean, people are free. I mean, this is a free country, so they basically can say whatever you want. You know, I still am going to try to beat them.

Q. When you say that things are okay between you, we hear you say that they kind of have a big mouth.

MARTINA HINGIS: No, it wasn't them. It was like him. He always has his comments. You know, it's fun. Because I'm better than them so far, I'm the No. 1, and not them.

jenny161185
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:30 PM
she is so funny - she respects them yet she wont take no crap off richard! I want her back! I cant imagine her and Serena chatting away in the locker room!

treufreund
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Martina is such a wonderfully authentic person. :D