PDA

View Full Version : Daniela's Crisis

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:13 AM
I posted this in the "Cocktail-Party" Forum, I bring it here for a larger discussion.

Originally posted by quasimodo
Well, I think Daniela is in a crisis of self-confidence, maybe even self esteem.
She's aware of her technical weaknesses, mainly her lack of speed and the diffculties she meets to vary her game. She's been coached by Nigel Sears for almost two years now and they've worked on the net play and the match tactics but she's not confident enough to implement it in competition and then she loses her tennis someway.
Fundamentaly Daniela's game is based on her quality of service and it seems her percentage in this area tends to decline.
These points plus the pressure of being a top-ranked player is yet too heavy a burden to carry for Daniela.
She has to cope with two types of improvements :
- Long and mid-term for the pure technique,
- Short-term as far as mindset is concerned.
Mental is the key-word for Daniela today because with the game she already has, she should be able to beat most of the players on the tour, except the more powerful, providing she's got the determination on each shot, but it's not the case right now.
Hopefully this crisis will not last very long. If she's positive, the defeats like the Dementieva quarter-final should help her find in herself the right answers to her wonderings.

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM
first she needs a good meal

caramel
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:54 AM
:D A good meal??? :D Hahaha.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by irma
first she needs a good meal Don't suck :rolleyes:

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM
It was a joke. Dani would take it as a compliment.

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM

hehehe

http://www.theonion.com/onion3543/russian_meal.html

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM
LMAO@Irma

Daniela will be okay, she's in a sophmore slump imho. Last year was her breakout year, so it is a bit tougher knowing the players are gunning at yah. Her weakness is imho errors and slimness. I can see her having problems winning long matches or even grinding tourneys. I do think she along with Momo and Kim will be in contention for that #1 spot one day.

tinkerbell
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:36 AM
LOL
I did wonder at the beginning of the year how it would be before she sacked her British coach. Maybe she needs some new ideas.

Libertango
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Lol @ irma ;)

I actually wouldn't say Daniela is in a slump. She's still so young, and has rapidly improved over the last year, breaking into the top 5, winning a title etc. She can't win all the time, and she can't keep on constantly improving and moving up. She's bound to have a more quiet period after the initial breakthrough. Give her a chance, and time is all I say.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by tinkerbell
LOL
I did wonder at the beginning of the year how it would be before she sacked her British coach. Maybe she needs some new ideas. I'm also beginning to wonder if the Daniela Hantuchova / Nigel Sears team works that well. Though Nigel appears to be a great technician and makes Dani work hard, he doesn't seem to boost Daniela's mental. But on the other hand it's always easy to accuse the coach. After all it's the player who goes on the court. Amanda Coetzer is still a helluva fighter despite her physical limits.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Be patient. Who would have believed this time last year that she would now be #5 in the world? :)

I think her rise has in fact been a bit too fast. She has been fortunate enough to get into that position when she is almost certainly not the fifth most formidable player on the circuit. (I am very biased towards Momo, but I think most people will agree with me that Momo right now is a more dangerous opponent than Daniela; same with two or three other players. Think Lindsay; think Monica; think JenCap)

We are now expecting her to play like a top-five player, when we should be very happy that she is playing (as I genuinely believe she is) like a top-10 player, the sort who might have trouble against players like Dementieva when they have a good day and she is having a less good day. But also the sort who routinely gets deep into big tournaments.

Give her a bit of time to learn to play tighter tennis. Also, she probably needs a few new weapons. And a bit of extra power would help. I think she'll develop all of that, barring injuries etc. I don't think she is mentally weak, quite the opposite.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Jouissant, I think Daniela was rather mentally strong in the end of 2002 season but that it ain't really the case on this beginning of 2003 season.

Concerning the time required for full-improvement and maturation of her game, I agree. But I think that right now she could be far more threatening. Like you say :I think most people will agree with me that Momo right now is a more dangerous opponent than Daniela; same with two or three other players. Think Lindsay; think Monica; think JenCap This is what I hardly accept : that a lot of players aren't threatened at all when playing Daniela because they know she's not that consistent, makes a lot of UE's and sometimes seems lost on the court, not because she doesn't have the game but because she dramatically lacks of confidence.

Experimentee
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM
I wouldnt worry this soon. Shes only had one bad loss, but Dementieva seems to be a player who gives her trouble, they've had close matches in the past and Elena leads the H2H. She played well to get the to QF of the AO and a career high ranking, so i hardly think shes playing bad or in a slump.
I agree with her needing a good meal too. More weight will mean more power, which can only help her with that type of game.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I'm not worrying just on this Dementieva upset but on the fact she also had to struggle hard to win matches in Australia :
Tamarine Tanasugarn : 7-6, 6-1
Fabiola Zuluaga : 7-5, 6-7 , 6-4
Adriana Serra-Zanetti : 7-6, 7-6

That seems far from the girl who trashed Martina Hingis 6-3, 6-4 in Indian Wells.

I mean Daniela gives too many games to girls who are ranked nowhere behind her, that's a sign of confidence problems.

Experimentee
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Did you watch those matches? Apparently Fabiola has a really great game when it comes together and i heard she was playing really well in that match. As for Serra-Zanetti, she was a quarterfinalist last year and seems to like playing on this surface. She didnt play Tanasugarn this year at AO. I didnt see those matches but from what i heard theres nothing to worry about. Serena also struggled with players ranked below her and theres nothing wrong with her.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:35 PM
She played Tanasugarn in Sydney Adidas Open

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Sure, but look how many tie-breakers she is winning! At the AO I also saw (live) one doubles match where she more or less single-handedly won the tie-breaker after she and Meghann were several points down in it. This is not the sign of a mentally weak player. She is just not as dominating a player, as yet, as the likes of Momo, JenCap (when she is actually in form; rare at the moment), Lindsay, etc.

Fingers crossed for her. :)

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 PM
That's kind of you jouissant to try to get me optimistic.
Anyway, I'd like her to make more convincing results in Antwerp, Indian Wells (title to defend !?) and Miami. Unless she will have trouble getting out of the "slump".

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Talking about tie-breakers, she lost the one which was the more important for her against Davenport in Sydney... It kills me !!

Experimentee
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
And also i saw the match against Davenport in Sydney and I thought she played really well in that match, better than Lindsay, but Lindsay was just more mentally strong on the crucial points.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
And also i saw the match against Davenport in Sydney and I thought she played really well in that match, better than Lindsay, but Lindsay was just more mentally strong on the crucial points. Just my point : mental strength and self-confidence. Daniela is becoming more and more a feminine Marat Safin, except the racquets breaking...

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:53 PM
LOL. She does actually play a bit like Safin, just in the sense that she takes a lot of risks and they don't always work out. It makes them both exciting players to watch, though. :D

tinkerbell
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:02 PM
I'm also beginning to wonder if the Daniela Hantuchova / Nigel Sears team works that well. Though Nigel appears to be a great technician and makes Dani work hard, he doesn't seem to boost Daniela's mental. But on the other hand it's always easy to accuse the coach. After all it's the player who goes on the court. Amanda Coetzer is still a helluva fighter despite her physical limits.

Maybe Nigel Sears has taken her as far as he can

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:57 PM
I dont think she is in a crisis. Its not like she is really losing to players that she shouldn't lose to - and if she has, are they blowouts? Isnt she 19? Too young to say that she is in a slump. Experience is always important and Daniela will gain experience. She was a QF for the past 2 slams, so that is pretty consistent. I dont think she has maximized her potential, so its too early to say that she is in a slump, she is just growing up.

gorecki
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:04 PM
i am wondering about this... maybe you guys can help me out...

i don't think Daniela's yet to beat that many of the girls in the top 10 [apart from Jelena...]

she's taken sets off Venus/Jennifer/Lindsay but yet to pull together a win so far...

hopefully her mental strength/choice of shot /strategy/and especially her consistency will continue to improve.

TSequoia01
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:20 PM
She is just having trouble dealing with expectation pressures. Being ranked in the top 5 comes with certain responsibilities and pressures. She now is favored to win almost all of her matches, if not there will be criticisms. It makes it difficult to play. It happens to all top players once they are successful. She will adapt and become used to it. :cool:

She used to be the hunter and now is the hunted. Remember what they say "Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun!" :o

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Dani beat Justine at the US Open... that's the only other top 10 I can think that she's defeated (plus Hingis).

Dani's results are strange... she's an aggressive player, but she may have the most consistent results I've ever seen. It seems like she always reaches the QF, and loses there.

I don't think Dani will ever be ranked higher than #5, though... first off because Amelie and Linds have been injured, and they are better... but it seems like against the top players, she can never answer back to their great play. That #5 will be gone after IW, anyway.

With it looking like Dani is getting frailer by the day... I don't see how she can gain more power, and improve her game. I think she'll be out of the top 10 once players like Bovina, Eleni... find their way up there... they have much more potential in my eyes.

SJW
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM
"I did wonder at the beginning of the year how it would be before she sacked her British coach"

did she sack Sears???

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Well, RAV, since Bally's set with Alan Jones, who's Nigel gonna coach in the "UK"? :p You tryin ta put a 'ard workin' bloke on the dole, fillin' out the UB40? :eek: But yeah, with all the great coaches in Europe, why would DLL get 'erself a Brit NEway? :devil:

SJW
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:50 PM
just answer the Q mate ;):p

cos her and Sears have improved leaps and bounds and they work well together

Sharapower
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM
She didn't sack Sears.
Leena, Daniela beat Amelie once in fed-cup but sure it's different from winning a match on a tourney.
Technically, I don't see Bovina and Daniilidou making better than Daniela, career-wise.
The main problem in Daniela's career to date is that she never was able to close a match with a win against the very top players though she often was leading in score. That means she's very close to them but she can't find the key to close-up this little distance, and my point in this thread is that this problem gets her confidence going down as time goes by, and that by now , Sears seemingly doesn't give her the good response to make this last step to being an acknowledged top player. Maybe then it's not a matter of sacking Sears who seems to be a good coach for the technical and tactical aspects but to add temporarily the contribution of a mental preparator to fix the fear that remains in important situations.

Sharapower
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:48 PM
While making a kind of "research" on Martina Hingis Interviews, I found this one again :

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002paclife/031602MH.html

It's amazing that Martina is so complimentary about Daniela. Even though, Martina often used to be correct and say nice things about her opponents, winning or losing to her, I think I never saw her insisting so much on someone's "bright future" and game quality.

Hopefully, the future will show she was right.

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:10 PM
She #8 in Chase points this year.

Sharapower
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
She #8 in Chase points this year. Wow already :eek: :eek: ? (because of the AO quarter I guess)

adlysha babalu
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Leena: even i am a great fan of daniela i truely agree on ur opinions..eleni,bovina they are all talented players and some day we can see them in the top 10..