PDA

View Full Version : help from somebody with serious comp knowledge please

Poe
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:34 AM
I know we have computer programmers etc. on the board. If any of you know how I can fix this, I would really appreciate it.

What happened was my laptop was connected to the internet and contracted something similar to the following:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mirc.lxd.html

This virus carries a copy of mIRC chat software with it in case you don't already have it on your comp. So this virus I think installed mIRC onto my laptop in a very crude fashion, it cannot be uninstalled through the normal windows control panel. I think the program is gone, and the virus is as well thanks to Norton, but now what happens is that every single time I load Windows, i get the error message pop-up: "Run-time error '53': File not found." Once I click ok, the pop-up is gone and everything is fine, but it is annoying.

My guess is the windows registry is looking for some file related to the crude installation of mIRC thanks to the virus. I don't know how to find and delete this reference. I tried opening the Windows.ini file and that has hardly anything in it, much less a reference to mIRC.

The laptop is running Windows 2000 <groan> :rolleyes:

Can anybody help me stop this error message when i boot up?

Thanks

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:29 PM
yuo could click on Start => Run, then type "regedit" and hit Enter.

next, in the left-hand pane of the regedit program, click HKEY_Local_Machine, then Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run.

look at the entries underneath Run and try to make sure that each is valid; if there appears to be one that is pointing to the program described in the virus article or some other invalid program, highlight the entry in the right-hand pane and Delete it.

when yuo reboot hopefully that message will no longer appear

- Car Key Boi

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM
maybe he should back up the reg first?

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM
no Keith, only pussies back up their regs :D

Poe
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:15 PM
ckb, here are the entries in the registry where you described:

http://imperialweb.ca/images/regedit.jpg

In that error 53 message I get on start up, it says "die" in the title bar of the pop up.

Could it be the entry referring to die.exe that is causing that? The thing is I have to be absolutely certain that anything I delete will not harm the laptop because if I fuck it up words cannot even begin to describe the amount of shit I am in.

thanks for your help

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:18 PM
poe, is your laptop still under factory garentee? If so you can call tech support maybe?

Also I have a question.

Does anybody know what causes the mouse not to respond. This is annoying when this happens. Like the cursur moves by itself and you have to reboot.

Poe
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:24 PM
if you're talking about a laptop with one of those little knobs that you move with your finger for the mouse, those do that all the time.. you just have to take your finger off and wait til it stops moving on it's own, then it will be fine.

Poe
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:25 PM
oh and i dunno about any factory guarantee and since this is a virus and not a failure on the comp's part I don't know that they would be obligated to fix it. And I really don't want to have to go through all that trouble.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Microsoft has tech support as well.

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:30 PM
ok then if you are in school or work somewhere ask somebody who is in the computer department who knows a lot to take a look at your laptop (hide or save to disk any "sensitive information" first) :wavey:

Poe
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Microsoft has tech support as well.

yeah and i'm really interested in wasting 3 hours of my day on hold with them so that they can tell me they can't help with virus related issues :p

griffin
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:35 PM
If you're still coverd by a tech support contract, I think it's worth calling Microsoft or the company that made your laptop - they may not replace anything but they may be able to help you sort this out.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Poe
yeah and i'm really interested in wasting 3 hours of my day on hold with them so that they can tell me they can't help with virus related issues :p

Well, what about Norton?

And they do do Virus related issues as well at Microsoft. If worst comes to worst, the last resort is reformatting your hard drive and tahn reloading your programs, though that's a pain.

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Poe
ckb, here are the entries in the registry where you described:

http://imperialweb.ca/images/regedit.jpg

In that error 53 message I get on start up, it says "die" in the title bar of the pop up.

Could it be the entry referring to die.exe that is causing that? The thing is I have to be absolutely certain that anything I delete will not harm the laptop because if I fuck it up words cannot even begin to describe the amount of shit I am in.

thanks for your help

Canadian *surprised*, i always had yuo figured for an East Coast Tard, dunno why i had that impression

anyways, if yuo are terrified to just delete the damn thing, we can do it the pussy way

to be honest i recken yuo can dump most of yuor hive and yuor IBM will thank yuo for it, way too much shit starting up in the background

click Start, choose Search, then Files and Folders.

search for die.exe on yuor C drive.

when yuo find it, right click on it and choose Properties.

if it's less than 1.44 MB, cut and paste it to a floppy.

then, remove that reference to the file in the registry.

then, reboot.

if all goes well, there you go.

if not, boot into safe mode, re-enter the registry entry for die.exe and copy the file from the floppy back to it's original location.

if the file is too big for a floppy, try renaming it and/or moving it to a different location.

that way, the registry entry will not be able to find it.

then, reboot.

if all goes well (yuo will still get an error concerning die.exe, but it will now be because the program cannot be found) yuo will know that the die.exe program is useless to yuo

that is all

- Car Key Boi

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:25 PM
car key boi, PM me about how to get somebody's email passowrd please. I need to get revenge on this piece of #$##~!~~ :wavey:

toreador
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by anton
car key boi, PM me about how to get somebody's email passowrd please. I need to get revenge on this piece of #$##~!~~ :wavey:

can't u fuckin go and search for a tutorial? :(
sorry i get frustrated when someone wants to know about these things and they're not willing to search for them/learn

Playa
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:40 AM
My advice to you , is not to delete that file too quickly
maybe i'm posting to late .
but you must search your windows directory for any files ,that have the same date.
90% of the time you'll find other accomplices.
then you can safely delete this entry from the registry, and the file.
also, there can still be some entries left in your startmenu (Start-progams-Startup), and the system.ini files.

What CkB Said works. but it's not the cleanest way go get rid of persistent virus.

Poe
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:53 PM
playa, the virus is gone.. I've scanned twice now with the latest virus definitions and Norton got it all. It got the virus but did not fix my windows registry that was altered because of it. So that's all i'm worried about now. But thanks for the suggestions.

ckb thanks tons for the help i'm going to try deleting that entry later tonight...

Poe
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by anton

you realize of course this is a felony you could spend a good portion of your life in jail over?

Hurricane Lily
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Poe! *hugs* how are you my lovely stud? you want me to squished those pesky lil worms? :D

Poe
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Hurricane Lily
Poe! *hugs* how are you my lovely stud? you want me to squished those pesky lil worms? :D

hello my little sex kitten :kiss: the worms are squished but you can clean up the mess if you like :D

Hurricane Lily
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:06 PM
:bounce: like ok, then after we can go outside naked, play in the snow and make snow people, mkay? :kiss:

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:10 PM
you realize of course this is a felony you could spend a good portion of your life in jail over?

Could you make a definition of how and when that is a felony?

Poe
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:26 PM
It's news to you that hacking into somebody else's computer system is against the law?

Poe
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Hurricane Lily
:bounce: like ok, then after we can go outside naked, play in the snow and make snow people, mkay? :kiss:

omg totally! it's been ages since i made a snowman in the buff

ys
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:19 PM
It's news to you that hacking into somebody else's computer system is against the law?

That's obvious.. But what if I, by some non-criminal methods, figured out someone's yahoo! or hotmail password, and use it to read his(er) mail? That's what anton was asking about, AFAIU... Which part of it can be interpreted as something "against the law"?

Poe
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:38 AM
But what if I, by some non-criminal methods, figured out someone's yahoo! or hotmail password

if you interpreted anton's post as asking ckb how to "figure out" a password by some non criminal mental telepathy perhaps it isn't ilegal. :p I am not a lawyer I don't know the laws on invading privacy and reading somebody's mail. But that is not how i interpreted the post. To me it looked like asking how to hack into a system to intercept or steal their password. And good grief does it matter? It's wrong in any case.

per4ever
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ys
That's obvious.. But what if I, by some non-criminal methods, figured out someone's yahoo! or hotmail password, and use it to read his(er) mail? That's what anton was asking about, AFAIU... Which part of it can be interpreted as something "against the law"?

that's still illegal if it's not your own mail :)

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Poe
if you interpreted anton's post as asking ckb how to "figure out" a password by some non criminal mental telepathy perhaps it isn't ilegal. :p I am not a lawyer I don't know the laws on invading privacy and reading somebody's mail. But that is not how i interpreted the post. To me it looked like asking how to hack into a system to intercept or steal their password. And good grief does it matter? It's wrong in any case.

That movie "Hackers" is so cool. I want that DVD.

Anyway, I would never do anything illegal. :angel:

I already know how to get somebody's email password. I was just joking with Car Key. I learned that back in 5th or 6th grade.