PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite bitch-slapping grandslam match?

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:46 AM
vote

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:57 AM
1988 Graf-Zvereva Double Bagelage

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:59 AM
When Martina spanked Monica at USO '99 (I think that was the year) 60 75

selesrules
Yeah but there are many matches like this where one player is not high quality (look at my list, it's always 2 great champions against each others and when they are both in top level ie. not kids, no distractions, just some honest bitch-slapping).

*JR*
Clue: a certain Californian beating a certain Muscovite 6-2, 6-2 (I think), USO 2002.

o0O0o
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Hingis def. Venus.

GLORIOUS I tell you!

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Keith
When Martina spanked Monica at USO '99 (I think that was the year) 60 75

Obviously you don't know what bitch-slapping is. A bitch-slapping has to leave the opponent helpless, Martina barely edged Monica in the 2nd set, she didn't bitch-slap her at the end. Actually Monica bitch-slapped Martina 2 times in grandslams, Martina has never done it in a slam because the last set always was 6-4, or 7-5 or whatever. A bitch-slapping has to end at least with a 6-2 or 6-1 or 6-0 and has to be in straight sets.

Mikey
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:02 AM
not that ANYONE in this thread is biased :rolleyes:

i agree w/ leena - Graf def. Zvereva 6-0 6-0 :eek: in a final!

Leena
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
Yeah but there are many matches like this where one player is not high quality (look at my list, it's always 2 great champions against each others and when they are both in top level ie. not kids, no distractions, just some honest bitch-slapping).

Zvereva was a top 5 player sometime in '88, I believe... which was as high as Mary ever got.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Mary is a multiple grandslam champion and I'm sure she got at least to no.3. Zvereva is a nobody compared to anyone in the poll.

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Graf def Seles in 92 Wimbledon final...dont want to hear any crap about the grunt....Steffi STOMPED on Monica and never let up...even the handshake was a classic!

Venus Forever
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Serena def. Hingis was just classic Serena. This was the Serena we all know and love today.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by darren cahill
Graf def Seles in 92 Wimbledon final...dont want to hear any crap about the grunt....Steffi STOMPED on Monica and never let up...even the handshake was a classic!

Well everyone knows that the grunt is the cause of the score, otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up yourself either :rolleyes: Stick to the topic, we are talking about real bitch-slapping. And please do not bring up some match in 1989 :rolleyes:

According to the bitch-slapping definition that will follow, Monica has never been bitch-slapped in a grandslam. Live with it.

-Both players have to be in top form (not kids, not injured, no distractions)
-Match has to end in straight sets with an easy last set (6-0 or 6-1 or 6-2).
-Match has to have at most 7 games.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:18 AM
funny how the poll has three of Graf's losses and none of her wins, and four of Seles' wins, but none of her losses.

i'll go with Graf B-S Seles 62 61 in the final of Wimbledon. or maybe Graf B-S ASV 60 62 in the final of Australia 94. or Maybe evert B-S seles 60 62 in the fourth round of the 1989 USO. or what about Venus B-S Seles 6-2 6-3 in the QF of the USO last year?

and by the way, if seles d Navratilova counts as a "bitch-slap" then so does the much more one-sided Hingis-Seles USO match.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Read the definition YOU IDIOT.

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Well everyone knows that the grunt is the cause of the score, otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up yourself either :rolleyes: Stick to the topic, we are talking about real bitch-slapping. And please do not bring up some match in 1989 :rolleyes:

According to the bitch-slapping definition that will follow, Monica has never been bitch-slapped in a grandslam. Live with it.

-Both players have to be in top form (not kids, not injured, no distractions)
-Match has to end in straight sets with an easy last set (6-0 or 6-1 or 6-2).

Chill the fuck out...dont be so freaking hostile all the time....you could learn to have a bit of fun you know...good lord

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:21 AM
So DC and SR, does the one I posted qualify? (Esp. as Linzi's knee wasn't 100% yet).

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:21 AM
You forgot the 3rd rule of the definition in your quote :rolleyes:

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:25 AM
how in the world is the Seles/Capriati match in 1990 a bitch-slapping? Wasnt that Capriatis first french open? did she even have a ranking yet? how does this fit into your "definition", was capriati at the "top" of the game as you say they HAVE to be to qualify for this poll? not that i care, its just humorous to watch you get so bent out of shape over monica...its so predictable

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:25 AM
darren cahill, both were kids, so it counts. Either way, Seles bitch-slapped her again 2 years later in the quarters with the same exact score.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
I did read the definition. I think it's hilarious. All the rules are designed to protect Monica from being included, yet all the rules can be used to protect the other players too, you just fail to understand that. Such as .... anybody could argue that capriati was a kid in her French Open match with seles. So i guess that means that doesn't count, right? And I could go on down that road, but I'd rather not.

Btw, even with your "rules", Venus-seles from USO '02 still counts because Venus lost just five games, the same number Monica lost versus Hingis at the French in a match which you have termed a "bitch-slap".

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Obviously you haven't read the 2nd rule... :rolleyes:

maccardel
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Hingis defeating Venus at USopen '97. I say that was the beginning of the end for Hingis..

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Oh, i see! So Monica was a kid too, so it doesn't count. Then why don't you tell me, Selesrules, when does Monica stop being a kid? At what point have you decided she's no longer a kid and her losses count for real?

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:29 AM
good pick maccardel. See that's a bitch-slapping because it ended with 6-4, 6-0. But if it was 6-0, 6-4 it's not a bitch-slapping because at the end of the match the opponent wasn't a bitch but was still fighting. Get it King Lindsay? :rolleyes:

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:29 AM
She stopped being a kid when she turned 16 years old ---> 1990. 16 years old means that you are not a little kid anymore, everyone knows this except you I guess.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Selesrules, that is because the 2nd rule makes no sense. So if the match was 6-3 6-2 it would count? But not because it was 6-2 6-3? THAT'S THE EXACT SAME SCORE AND THE ONLY REASON YOU HAVE THE RULE IT TO PROTECT MONICA. lol.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Both are "easy wins", but only the first one is a bitch-slapping because of how it ended.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:31 AM
selesrules, the Capriati match happened in 1990.

And you know, i think I would know more about being 16 years old than somebody who has yet to get there.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Look, it's the *1992* french open 6-2,6-2 match vs Capriati, ok??? are you now happy??? :rolleyes:

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:33 AM
King Lindsay...supposedly its alright to chose a match from 1990 but i was crucified for picking a major from only the year before...and i picked one that followed Monica winning the previous major....oh well, as you said, all polls fixed to suit Monica...i get so tired of Monica all the time...every poll, every post, everything monica....isnt she up for an oscar too? kidman, streep, seles...could have swore i heard her name, its always mentioned.:confused:

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:34 AM
darren cahill, nobody is forcing you to stay in this thread :rolleyes:

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:35 AM
darren cahill, nobody is forcing you to stay in this thread :rolleyes:

you're damn right...but sometimes its hard to leave, cause you are so damn bizarre its hard to leave....and i always enjoy King Lindsay so if you dont mind...i'll hang out for awhile.

selesrules
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 AM
good, so stop crying and vote.

Sam L
Originally posted by darren cahill
....isnt she up for an oscar too? kidman, streep, seles...could have swore i heard her name, its always mentioned.:confused:

LMAO!

King Lindsay
darren Cahill, don't you know that Monica is a saint? and that it is a crime to cheer against her? And that she is the greatest player ever? and the greatest, most horrible, worst tragedy in the history of all human and alien kind was her stabbing which ROBBED HER, ROBBED HER I SAY OF WINNING 592355234923475 GRAND SLAMS AND THEN TAKING OVER THE UNIVERSE!

selesrules, so are you admitting that you were wrong before and the 1990 JenniferMonica match doesn't count?

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Foodfight! :rolleyes: Meanwhile, KL, your signature is LITERALLY what Linzi did in the USO match I cited. And DC, you know SR just wants to fight, so why not reply re. mine, please?

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:39 AM
ok, I stopped crying long enough to vote for Mary beating Graf....cause that was a brutal beating. plus i aint voting for Monica....i can act like a baby too!

King Linday, i just cant get over how many AUSTRALIEN's monica won...god, i wish they'd get that spelling right one of these damn days.:fiery:

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by rd878
Foodfight! :rolleyes: Meanwhile, KL, your signature is LITERALLY what Linzi did in the USO match I cited. And DC, you know SR just wants to fight, so why not reply re. mine, please?

i dont know what reply you are asking about?

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
DC: Davenport def. Myskina 6-2, 6-2, USO 2002.

[Admin edit: this match never occurred]

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by rd878
DC: Davenport def. Myskina 6-2, 6-2, USO 2002.

well to be honest, i dont know anything about that match...i dont even recall it happening...but being that Lindsay is a fave of mine...i always believe in her enough for her to win matches like that one...Myskina isnt someone i would think of Lindsay losing to in a major--Myskina to me doesnt have the aura of say the names like Graf, Venus, Seles...the LEGENDS

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Rd878, I have zero memory of that match happening. LOL. Can't recall it at all. but it seems to fit the very complex Selesrules "definitions" for a "bitchslapping".

darren, Monica has won many AUSTRALIEN's but she would've WON SO MANY MORE BUT SHE WAS ROBBED ROBBED ROBBED I TELL YA. ROOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBED.

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:48 AM
DC, it wasn't just a win, it was a pounding. Linzi almost knocked the racquet out of her hand. (And this isn't against Russians, the New Kids on the Block from there are gonna do exactly the same in a year or so).

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Obviously you don't know what bitch-slapping is. A bitch-slapping has to leave the opponent helpless, Martina barely edged Monica in the 2nd set, she didn't bitch-slap her at the end. Actually Monica bitch-slapped Martina 2 times in grandslams, Martina has never done it in a slam because the last set always was 6-4, or 7-5 or whatever. A bitch-slapping has to end at least with a 6-2 or 6-1 or 6-0 and has to be in straight sets.

OK fine, when Steffi bitch slapped the shit outta Monica at Wimby 92. Steffi put on a clinic that day and Monica was her complete and total bitch

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Davenport d. Myskina 2002 US Open? rd878 dreamed it.

Myskina lost to Bedanova in the third round.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:32 AM
The only match I can think of rd878 talking about was Davenport d. Bovina, 3-6 6-0 6-2. Not really a bitchslap since it went three.

yukon145
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Holy crap this whole thread is funny, who made the all bitch slapping rules?

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Selesrules made the bitchslapping rules!

junkartist
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Serena defeating Hingis was the ultimate bitchslap becasue of the stats...100 % on the first serve!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Sorry, Hurley! It was in New Haven, not the USO. :o :o :o

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM
I gotta pick Serena beating hingis like she stole her lunch. I usually only keep Venus's matches on tape, but this one is a keeper heehee. I also have '99 Roland Garros final.. Anytime I want a good laugh I put it in hehehehe. Steffi:hearts:

Ting
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Hingis def. Venus 6-1 6-1 at the Aussie Open.
I thought I was only dreaming after the match was over!

louloubelle
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Bitch slapping... I feel should end with a bitch-slapping comment. here's a couple....

Seles def Graf Aus Open 7-5 6-1. The press made out it was a huge victory. Monica replied that it wasn't because Lindsay and Hingis were the players to beat at the time. the handshake was frosty too. Australian headlines read: Spite Girl (during the time of Spice Girls)

Graf def Sabatini 6-3 6-0. Aus Open 89 semis. It was meant to add to their budding rivalry. Graf smacked Gaby and took some offense to Gaby saying Graf did nothing because she played so badly. Graf said something like 'I think her minds not always on the match' or something to that effect.

Evert def Mandlikova 84 semis Wimbledon I think 62 61. Hana at the French had ridiculed Martina by saying: 'it's hard to beat a man, I mean Martina'. All the top players took offense and gave Hana the cold shoulder. After the massacre, Chris was taking her time packing up, and Hana asked her if she was ready. Chris said coldly'no I am not', Hana asked 'when', Chris said 'she didn't know' so Hana walked off the court in front of the royal box, when traditionally the players walk off together.

I disagree that it must be a killing to define a bitch-slapping. Wasn't Graf's win over Hingis in the French final a bitch slap, considering Hingis's behaviour spurred Steffi's revival??

schris
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Great poll selesrules !!! as always ;)

my answer : Graf def Seles at Wimbledon 1992 :)

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:57 AM
steffi was not distracted at the french 91? lmao

oh well she is my hero for that match anyway even more after wimbledon 92 (but that's a different story)

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Infiniti I agree with that. I still play those tapes .. lmao

The only REAL bitch slappin that is even in this poll is the Serena vrs Hingis match. Cause it ain't a Bitch slap unless the slapped bystander has tears in the eyes. Afterall a REAL and TRUE bitchslap will draw the tears.

Serena throwin Hingis the Kleenex gets my vote.:) Hell throw Graf/Hingis RG 99 in there too, the heck with (seles's**rules**)(excuse the pun). A real slap means tears to one's eye.

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:00 AM
and aussie open 99 is obvious not a bitch slapping considering steffi was serving for the set and then broke down!

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:05 AM
my fav is of course wimbledon 92 too

no intimidation factors like 4 weeks earlier. just a total fair match.

I loved every minute of it!

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:21 AM
nah maybe key biscane 93 against sabatini was even better another match a certain player could learn from

and she said she could learn nothing from steffi? ;)

bilal
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Wimbledon 1992.... Classic bitch slapping!

Steffi!:hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss:

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:05 AM
As huge a fan of Monica's as I may be, this is obviously an EXTREMELY biased poll.

Steffi was extremely distracted at RG'91 when she lost to Aranxta. Similarly, Monica was distracted at Wimbledon'92 when they played the final. However, both women showed up. When they set foot on court, it was an indication that they were willing to play. Therefore, we have to credit their opponents with the wins. In this case, Aranxta and Steffi. If Steffi chose to focus on her father's behaviour rather than her tennis and Monica chose to focus on her grunting rather than her tennis, that just shows their immaturity and poor mental state on that given day. Can't really blame their opponents.

I vote for Hingis-V.Williams. Martina handed her the worst loss of her career when Venus had won her last 19 Grand Slam singles matches. Hingis didn't just beat her, she destroyed her methodically.

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM
louloubelle, do you have any articles on the Seles-Graf from the '99 Australian Open? The ones with "Spite Girl" as the headline. I'd love to read those articles!!!

Scorch
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Infiniti I agree with that. I still play those tapes .. lmao

The only REAL bitch slappin that is even in this poll is the Serena vrs Hingis match. Cause it ain't a Bitch slap unless the slapped bystander has tears in the eyes. Afterall a REAL and TRUE bitchslap will draw the tears.

Serena throwin Hingis the Kleenex gets my vote.:) Hell throw Graf/Hingis RG 99 in there too, the heck with (seles's**rules**)(excuse the pun). A real slap means tears to one's eye.

In which case you'd better throw in Dokic beating Venus at Rome in 2000. Venus cried after that match.:eek:

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Scorch
In which case you'd better throw in Dokic beating Venus at Rome in 2000. Venus cried after that match.:eek:

LOL

:D

Scorch
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:32 AM
And Serena cried when she lost to Venus in the Wimbledon semis 2000.

Sorry Dawn, you can't gloat too much LOL.

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:36 AM
what a bitches all these tennisplayers are;)

Ryan
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:48 AM
My vote is for Hingis-Venus for the same reason as hinigs-seles. Followed closely of course by every Graf B-S ing of Monica. ;)

saah1608
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:07 PM
LMAO at DC & KL, especially her nomination for an oscar. Forgive my memory but did I sense a nail in the coffin of one M.Hingis (last year) USO, I think quarters when Serena just beat the hell out of Hingis. Or was that 2001 semi? Now that's what I call a bitch slap. Pierce v Graf is good one too. But Steffi could take it.

SJW
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Serena def marti of course lol

anyways i never saw the others :rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Hingis - Williams Match Stats
Key statistics from Martina Hingis' 6-1, 6-1 victory against Venus Williams in the semifinals of the Australian Open
Hingis Williams
10 Winners 17
8 Unforced errors 38
6 of 9 Break point converts 1 of 7
0 Aces 0
0 Double Faults 6
78 1st serve pct 50
3 of 5 Net winners 14 of 32
67 1st serve win pct 48
60 2nd serve win pct 32
60 Total points won 36

I love when people bring up that aussie semi because its a clear demonstration how players who dictate and miss beat themselves: more winners more errors and more net approaches. Venus beat herself with errors and martina walked away smiling.

anytime you catch a bagel in a grandslam its a bitch slapping. Its funny how polls like this always come down to fan base versus fan base.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Serena def. Hingis at the US Open was the ultimate bitch slap? Serena made Hingis look like a player ranked outside of the top 100 that day. I was shocked and in disbelief of the way Serena was playing. I thought it would be a fight, but fooled me real good. I have to say Hingis truly did get Pimp slapped that day. And it was because Rena was playing so well, and it had nothing to really do with Martina.

MarcusRock
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Why does the word "Unabomber" come to mind when I see selesrules in action?

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:53 PM
LOL.

JonBcn
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:04 PM
this is the funniest thread I have ever read. Thankyou!

louloubelle
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Hingis-Seles - I'll try and track down the article if I can. Australian newspapers usually give outrageous headlines but lack substance and depth!!!

As for this match, it was a classic bitch slap regardless of Steffi serving for the set, and having the edge in the 1st. Seles wrestled the lead away and runaway with the 2nd. Admittedly Steffi's errors and lack of game plan was a big factor in her loss but Seles didn't give her a sniff at all in the 2nd.
But to top it all off, Seles was hardly complimentary afterwards to Steffi!!!! A bitch slap in my book.

Yes Dawn Marie the ULTIMATE bitch slap is one that brings tears.

Therefore Chris Evert beating Martina 6-0 6-0 in Amelia Island 1981 is one up there. Chris would've enjoyed it BIG TIME, Martina cried afterwards. It's worth noting that this loss was the momentum for the rise of the great Martina Navratilova.

irma
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:49 AM
to be fair it's totally understandable that monica didn't want to tell how great steffi was after that match. If I was her I would have neither

my picture of her changed a little after that match (and in a good way)

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Scorch, That was Vee's first tourney back ON CLAY in 6 months and it was not a *SLAM* LMAO. I don't mind if you wish to include the Match with Venus and Serena at Wimby 2001, and I can gloat too much.

Again, the best BSlappin' putting foot in small left buttocks match that I've seen(in a slam) was when Serena destroyed Hingis and hit 100% first serves in the second set. Also a great bitch slap is when the mass media gets to see the shedded tears in a close shot. Hence RG 99 and US Open. Another great match was Jelena kicking ass at Wimbeldon 1999.

Scorch
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:15 AM
So it has to be a slam match? OK, whatever!

I can't say I get any enjoyment out of watching people cry though! Guess I just don't take this game as seriously as some people.