PDA

View Full Version : Madonna Stresses Anti-War In New Video and shocks americans with iraqi children dying

Aphrodite
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Madonna Stresses Anti-War In New Video

Madonna is courting controversy again -- this time with a violent music video for the new song "American Life" that her publicist says depicts the "catastrophic repercussions and horror of war." "It is an anti-war video, but the purpose of the video, as with a lot of Madonna's work, is to be thought-provoking," publicist Liz Rosenberg said. "It is many other things as well" as anti-war, she said.

Web site The Drudge Report reported Sunday that the video was "the most shocking anti-war, anti-Bush statement yet to come from the show business industry or anywhere else," complete with images of Iraqi children and bloody limbs. But Rosenberg said, "I'm not going to say it's specifically anti-Bush at all." She said there were no pictures of Iraqi children or bloody images (but people who have seen the video claim it is the most shocking work of madonna ever, showing innocent children in chaotic situations in what seems to be Iraq) , though the latter changed in post-production.

The video, directed by Jonas Akerlund, is "a panoramic view of our culture and looming war through the view of a female superhero portrayed by Madonna," Rosenberg said. It also speaks to the glorification of war, she said, starting off as a runway show of couture army fatigues. "[Then] it just starts to go haywire and goes into other things ... it kind of takes it into a more violent direction."

The clip is expected to premiere in mid-March. Madonna's new album of the same name is due April 22 via Maverick/Warner Bros. As previously reported, a box set celebrating the 20th anniversary of her recording career is also in the works.

Madonna is an expert at creating controversy with videos. In 1989, religious images in "Like a Prayer" led Pepsi to drop her as a spokeswoman. In 1990, MTV refused to air "Justify My Love" because of its sexual content. Two years later, it relegated "Erotica" to early morning hours, and in 2001, VH1 and MTV would not air "What it Feels Like For a Girl" because of violence.

Rosenberg said that despite the new video's imagery, the song itself is not anti-war. "The lyric content to the song doesn't reflect that at all. There's a line in which Madonna sings about 'I live the American dream,'" she said. "It's things like that, about what the culture thinks is important."

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Madonna is becoming the john lenon of today, maybe she has been for a long time now , everyone knows she is the most powerful woman in the music industry and perhaps one of the most influential women the world has ever seen, she has shocked us before opening the doors for female to express their opinions and sexuality among other things, she did that with sexual and religous imagery in her videos which are known for their contreversy and their secret meanings.

She talked about how it is okay for white women and black men sharing their love (like a prayer)
I am a product of a half black and a white.
Very importaNT VIDEO IN MY LIFE. she talked about men and how they put themselves above women, believe it or not but she changed and liberated the women of today, she made it okay for a woman to do or feel what a man feels, she stomped the double standard for women, and at the same time open doors for them.
She made it okay for everyone to worship god in their own way, she made me a stronger woman under her influence, and she gave the strenght for my mom to leave my dad when he beat her.
In all this she got called a cold, manipulating bitch, a slut, a whore, a anti religous and sinful gold digger.

But madonna rolled on with her career, she became a mother, a religous and spiritual inventor, and a student and teacher of yoga . just when you think she has stopped with her more controversial work, she made her most controversial video yet, saying what a lot of people are thinking but willing to take the heat for it. Madonna is going anti-war, her new video has anti bush imagery, iraqi children who are innocent getting killed and imagery of the consequences of the war.

Aphrodite
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:47 PM
what do u guys think?
opinions for once?

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:49 PM
my opinion? i LOOOOOOOOOOVE Madonna but i am not thrilled to read/hear shes now getting political in song...BORING...go back to sex and dance...that the Madonna i love....but if anyone call pull it off, i bet she can...i just dont want to hear the news when i listen to music

ttaM
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:51 PM
"but people who have seen the video claim it is the most shocking work of madonna ever"

If this is true the video will most likely get banned. If MTV can't play "What It Feels Like For A Girl" because it was too violent, I don't think this video will go any farther.

harloo
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Madonna is doing this for shock value. Nothing new, IMO. The networks will ban her video, and she will get a lot of publicity. And all her fans will praise her stance, and shaky pop vocals once again.

It won't be too bad for non-fans though, just think while she's basking in the controversy at least she won't be able to make another movie.

Aphrodite
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:57 PM
we will see, music is supposed to be influential and madonna is trying to use it in a positive way, that is really refreshing to hear in our world today where music is about nothing but sex
madonna is original, she is done with sex, everyone is doing it, she will not do that, sure their will be some imagery revering to it probably but not of that sort. Madonna is trying to change the situation, that is not boring but brave and intelectual.

Aphrodite
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM
harloo is this because you are an american, could this be why.
She is doing this for the shock value, then why did she donate over 3 4 million or more from her concerts for sep 11
you seem to know her very well and what her purpose is
if you don't like her movies or her music don't listen to them .
I smell a possible republican?

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Aphrodite
harloo is this because you are an american, could this be why.
She is doing this for the shock value, then why did she donate over 3 4 million or more from her concerts for sep 11
you seem to know her very well and what her purpose is
if you don't like her movies or her music don't listen to them .
I smell a possible republican?

Nope, this is not because I'm an American. I simply don't like Madonna. I thought she was just over sexed, and she can't really sing. Madonna's popularity is mainly because of her like shock value act. Sorry, JMO. Now didn't you ask for opinions? Well that's mine. Too bad you have a problem with it. We will see how it all pans out, but I still think Madonna is doing this for shock value. BTW, I'm not a Republican. LOL

Aphrodite
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:33 AM
good to hear you are not a republican, i was just joking, your opinion is valid and i am glad to hear it however i don't agree with it whatsoever

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Aphrodite
good to hear you are not a republican, i was just joking, your opinion is valid and i am glad to hear it however i don't agree with it whatsoever

Ok, Aphrodite I won't be so hard on Madonna. I did like Desperately Seeking Susan. But that's it. LOL;) :)

Aphrodite
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:42 AM
it is cool:kiss:

Feb 12th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Sounds like the video shows reality

Aphrodite
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Entertainment - LAUNCH Music

Madonna's New Video Slams Bush, War
Tue Feb 11, 2:57 PM ET

(2/11/03, 3 p.m. ET) -- Madonna has wrapped shooting on her "American Life" video, and judging by some of the industry insiders who were at the shoot, the clip is sure to bring controversy to the singer. "American Life" is the first single to be released from the singer's forthcoming album, due out in April.

According to reports published by Internet gossiper Matt Drudge, "American Life" is a "sweeping political commentary on the modern American dream, and how nothing is what it seems." Not only is Madonna (news - web sites) shown wearing commando gear and throwing grenades, the video also contains images of bloody babies and limbless men and women. The clip is meant to show the atrocities of a possible U.S. war with Iraq.

LAUNCH asked Guy Sigsworth of Frou Frou--who co-wrote Madonna's "What It Feels Like For A Girl"--to comment on the message of "American Life." "Well, it's hard to judge a thing you haven't heard yet," Sigsworth said. "I mean, I think the thing is, if you have a statement you want to make, I think that's great. I think the main thing is just that, as music, it's still good. It's, like, a perfect song with bad music is a bad song, and a perfect song with good music is a good song. It's actually just to make sure your quality standards don't drop just because you think the message is enough, because you still need to present the message with great music. And I'm sure she will do it, but yet I haven't heard it."

As for Frou Frou, the band's "Breathe In" slips down one spot to Number 33 on this week's Radio And Records Hot AC chart. The single is from the duo's 2002 Details album.

-- Chiam Chad Dougatz, New York

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 AM
it may be a step up from her promoting subversive sexual vice

LeonHart
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Madonna sux0rz...badly...:(

toreador
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:53 AM
personally i don't like madonna and i won't like her no matter what she does...even though i don't like the bush administration either.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:00 AM
The Americans are never going to beat Saddam Hussein until they learn how to violently crush all internal opposition like he does.

spokenword73
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:03 AM
please don't put madonna in the same sentence with john lennon..she can't hold a candle to his creativity, vision and artistic contributions to the world. she's a shock jock, nothing more...hardly the most influential women the world has ever seen either...

Consistency
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:53 PM
:rolleyes:

I can see the attention whore is at it again.:eek: I guess she was getting bored hunting birds with her husband in London.

Madonna should emulate her ex-husband, Sean Penn, and go to Iraq on a diplomatic mission.:p

Cersei
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:38 PM
i want to see the video first

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:56 PM
LOL.......for those who said Madonna is just now starting to be political -- she has been political since the 80's.

Her videos have always made people "think" about what the current climate is. It just so happens, this current climate is WAR WAR WAR, so Madonna is doing this video and making people THINK.

Just cause your vocals are awesome, doesn't make you a good artist. Likewise, just because you have average vocals, does not mean you are not the best singer ever ;)

I support the war on Iraq and am a fan of Madonna and her statement in this video - it's a contradiction, but differing opinions are what freedom is about.

Anyways, I guess my point is, there is no need for anyone to come in here and start downgrading Madonna's achievements. That solves absolutely nothing :)

anton
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:07 PM
did george michael already make this song/video (shoot the dog)?

LucasArg
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by anton
did george michael already make this song/video (shoot the dog)?

Yes, and it is a very good video;)

I always liked Madonna, she is THE ONE AND ONLY. I think all of us should watch the video before make an opinion.

Anyway, I am glad she makes a video against WAR, she has a lot of influence on people and northamericans are just a little too fucked up right now with all this orange alert and Bush Oil's cruzade.

GO MADONNA!!!!!:wavey: