PDA

View Full Version : Streep Makes OscarŽ Nomination History

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Streep Makes OscarŽ Nomination History
By Mike Szymanski
Tue, Feb 11, 2003, 03:02 PM PT

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) -- Meryl Streep may be less than thrilled, but she made history when the Oscar nominations were announced.

The actress who already has two statuettes, for best supporting actress in 1979 for "Kramer vs. Kramer" and best actress for "Sophie's Choice" in 1982, has become the most-nominated performer in the 75-year history of the Academy Awards.

Streep, nominated for best supporting actress for "Adaptation," has now 13 acting nominations, breaking a tie with Katharine Hepburn -- and she's done it in half the time.

Hepburn's nominations were accumulated over a 48 year span and were all for leading best actress roles. Streep's nominations have been over a 24 year period, 10 leading roles and three supporting roles.

"I am thrilled and honored to be nominated, and also aghast that anybody could imagine that I could surpass the unsurpassable Katharine Hepburn in any category whatsoever," says Streep in a statement. "But it's lovely to even be mentioned in the same sentence."

Streep, however, did not make the round of phone calls to TV stations as she had promised Tuesday morning after she found out about her nomination for "Adaptation" which got four nominations, including best actor for Nicolas Cage and best supporting actor for Chris Cooper.

Some expected she may get nominated as well for best actress for her role in "The Hours" along with Nicole Kidman as best actress, Julianne Moore as best supporting actress and Ed Harris as best supporting actor. In fact, Streep is the only lead in that film who wasn't nominated in the film that has nine nominations. Streep was nominated for both roles in the Golden Globes this year, and won for best supporting actress, and she was snubbed in both categories for the Screen Actors Guild awards, which was considered a mistake by the studio because both roles were submitted in the same category by mistake.

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---15566,00.html

Monica_Rules
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Meryl is a great actress but sorry i want Catherine to win!

CYMRU AM BYTH!

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Catherine did a great job too, underrated imo, but we'll see :)

Kiwi_Boy
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Good on her! :bounce: .....she's a really great actor :D

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I love Mary Louise!!!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Seles
I love Mary Louise!!!
Mary Louise Parker?

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kiwi_Boy
Good on her! :bounce: .....she's a really great actor :D

But she is no Katherine Hepburn!

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Mary Louise Parker?

'Mary Louise' Streep <--- her real name
Meryl is a concoction she came up with when she applied for her Guild card.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Wellllll, I like Mary Louise Parker better! She was born at Fort Jackson in South Carolina!

Zummi
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:21 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Congratulations, Meryl!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Just as an added bit of trivia, Jack Nicholson tied Katherine with his 12th nomination this year, and that would be 1 behind Miss Streep. It is quite possible that Jack will win his 4th Oscar this year, once again tying him with Katherine Hepburn for most wins by an Actor. I believe that the most wins by anyone is a record held by Walt Disney.