PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova Memphis Promos

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:55 PM
I will try to post them later this evening. Check back in a few hours.

By the way the tourney director said he talked to her agent and she is practcing and planning to play. :D

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:01 PM
promo #1
http://www.venustennis.com/forums/uploads/post-36-1043735884.jpg

mboyle
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:42 PM
That's ridiculous:rolleyes: ! Why not put andy and Lisa on the cover. THEY ARE THE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS!:fiery: Plus, Anna has always withdrawn from Memphis each time she has been scheduled to play.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by mboyle
That's ridiculous:rolleyes: ! Why not put andy and Lisa on the cover. THEY ARE THE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS!:fiery: Plus, Anna has always withdrawn from Memphis each time she has been scheduled to play.

lol....ya im sure lisa raymond will attract more fans! :rolleyes:

are you crazy? have a hot ticket to anna kournikova or go see some person no casual tennis fan has even heard of...:rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
plus ANDY IS ON THE COVER WITH ANNA....think clearly....

and what deos her withdrawing in past years have anything to do with now? nothing. fact is, she's playing this year and the tourney directors are excited about it...simple as that...i can promise that they ain't as excited to see raymond at the tournament :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:20 PM
hmm, I wonder will they be excited about Raymond if Anna loses first round and gets booed off the court as she has been in previous tournaments? :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Rocketta
hmm, I wonder will they be excited about Raymond if Anna loses first round and gets booed off the court as she has been in previous tournaments? :rolleyes:

very intelligent post :rolleyes:

and by the way, no disrespect to lisa, but even if that does happen (which it wont), people probably wont be too excited about lisa raymond being the new star attraction...

Rocketta
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by dlandy22
very intelligent post :rolleyes:

and by the way, no disrespect to lisa, but even if that does happen (which it wont), people probably wont be too excited about lisa raymond being the new star attraction...

which people are you talking about?? The tennis fans who pay a couple of hundred dollars to go to the entire tournament or the panting boys who buy one day sessions to see Anna lose?

Also, if you think Lisa Raymond wasn't in all the local papers and on the local television after she won you are mistaken. So I highly doubt that the tennis fans in that community have not heard of Lisa Raymond.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:04 PM
which people are you talking about?? The tennis fans who pay a couple of hundred dollars to go to the entire tournament or the panting boys who buy one day sessions to see Anna lose?

Also, if you think Lisa Raymond wasn't in all the local papers and on the local television after she won you are mistaken. So I highly doubt that the tennis fans in that community have not heard of Lisa Raymond.

to see anna lose? lol. she wins matches, just not tournaments...for now at least...

im sure when lisa won she was in all the newspapers...so what? im talking casual tennis fans...my dad likes tennis but he isnt a huge fan. lots of people are like that. and im sure all of them havent heard of lisa raymond. she is not a household name...anna is a better player than lisa, and more people have heard of her and more people want to see her (panting teenage boys and tennis fans in general)...

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:06 PM
and why wouldnt a tennis fan want to see anna play? a gorgeous young lady who has been in the top ten and has beaten all the top players...why wouldnt a tennis fan want to see anna?

auntie janie
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:10 PM
I have no idea why they are not promoting Chanda at all. :confused:

Chanda is the highest-ranked player coming; she is very likely to still be playing in the tournament on the final day; and she lives in the next-door state of Louisiana. Plus, she is gorgeous. :)

It is short-sighted for them to ignore her totally in the tournament web site and promos. But, what else is new. :rolleyes:

Win the title, Chanda! Winning is the best answer to these bozos who ignore you! :D:D:D:D:D

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by janie
I have no idea why they are not promoting Chanda at all. :confused:

Chanda is the highest-ranked player coming; she is very likely to still be playing in the tournament on the final day; and she lives in the next-door state of Louisiana. Plus, she is gorgeous. :)

It is short-sighted for them to ignore her totally in the tournament web site and promos. But, what else is new. :rolleyes:

Win the title, Chanda! Winning is the best answer to these bozos who ignore you! :D:D:D:D:D

lol :wavey: hey janie! i too am surprised chanda hasnt been in the advertisements...but certainly you can understand why anna k is in the paper over lisa raymond...:rolleyes: @ the ignorant anna bashers...

ptkten
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I think Anna has been entered for a long time, Chanda entered just when the commitment lists came out. Maybe that's why.

Anyway good luck to Anna, Chanda, and Lisa at Memphis!

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:18 AM
anna is a better player than lisa, and more people have heard of her and more people want to see her (panting teenage boys and tennis fans in general)...

Kournikova is a better tennis player than Lisa Raymond? How do you figure cause Anna has more "talent" whatever that means?

Anna has been ranked as high as 8 , Lisa has been ranked as high as 15.

Anna has two Doubles grand slams and Lisa has 3 Double and 3 Mixed-Double.

Anna has zero singles titles, Lisa has 3.

Anna has been ranked #1 in doubles and Lisa has been ranked #1 in doubles.

Anna has been a finalist in the singles competition 4 times without winning, Lisa has been a finalist 7 times without winning.

Anna has 16 doubles titles, Lisa has 36.

Anna has zero Mixed Doubles Titles, Lisa has 3.

So please explain to me what measuring criteria that you are using to make a statement like Kournikova is a better tennis player than Lisa Raymond?

more people have definitely heard of Anna but everyone who has attended the tournament last year knows who Lisa Raymond is, anyone who followed the tournament in the local papers know who Lisa Raymond is. Maybe she doesn't inspire them to spend money or maybe the tournament is enough inspiration to spend the money. However, I seriously doubt any Anna(only) fan would invest money in anything other than a R1 session ticket.

To me its very disrespectful to all the players but especially Raymond who is defending champ that they wouldn't even give her a small acknowledgement on their promos! That is pure Shiite!

Also, I wish people would credit Anna for her deeds not their wishfull/hopefull thinking. Does she have the talent to be <insert accolade>, maybe, has she earned such accolade based on her tennis accomplishments recently, No. People throw that word talent around so frequently its starting to lose all meaning.

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Anna usually loses so fast and so quick that this photo gives Anna fans a chance to watch Anna's **game** during the tournament.

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Anna's pic is on every promo. I scanned 3 more. Here is one:

http://www.venustennis.com/kournikovapromo2.jpg

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:53 AM
here is another one:

http://venustennis.com/kournikovapromo4.jpg

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:55 AM

I saw Lisa Raymond play last year and most of her matches were on one of the side courts. Her legs are huge!

geewhiz
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:56 AM
I agree that Lisa is at the moment the better player, has won more titles, etc. and also that people in Memphis may well have heard of her after she won last year. However, there is a big difference between knowing who someone is and actually wanting to see them play in person. Sure, people may be interested to read how well Lisa does in the newspapers etc, just as they did last year, but when it comes to paying money to see someone in person, the casual tennis fan will go for Anna every time.

Realistically, even if Anna doesn't get beyond the first round, promoting Anna means that they will sell out all the tickets for one day. Promoting Lisa means that they will sell what 10, 20 extra tickets per day at the very most. Doing the maths, promoting Anna will always be a more cost-efficient strategy than promoting Lisa. It's not fair, but since when were tournament promoters in the business of fairness?

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:03 AM
anna is plaing doubles too so people will come to see that also if she loses in singles.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:08 AM
They will do whatever they think will bring the biggest crowds. How else could it be? They don't have a "duty" to do something else.

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:20 AM
right, Lisa Raymond is not going to set anybody's heart on fire and most people don't know who she is even though she did win last year. Plus the game she is playing is not very exciting. Forgive me but she only won due to Alex Stevenson's 300 errors.

Mikey
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:24 AM
:rolleyes:

rocketta, if no one else is smart enough to realize what you're saying, im completely w/ you.

dlandy, you need to examine what you're saying before you continue to spout pointless drivel, which is really annoying.

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:28 AM
mikey, in your sig i think anna smashnova has changed her last name after being married to anna pitoscna or something like that

Yak
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:32 AM
You guys are acting like it's Anna's fault if she is on all the promos! It's not her that asks all the organizer to put her on all the promos!

It's only a question of money! Who will sell more tickets? Lisa or Anna? Even if Anna lose first round and Lisa makes the final, Anna will have seld more tickets then Lisa in all of her match!

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Mikey
:rolleyes:

rocketta, if no one else is smart enough to realize what you're saying, im completely w/ you.

dlandy, you need to examine what you're saying before you continue to spout pointless drivel, which is really annoying.

People really are being dense aren't they? Its not about using Anna on some of the promos or all of them. They don't even have the defending champ on any of them. What message does that say to the public that even the organizers don't take their tournament seriously and view it as a tits and ass exhibition???

I don't know how they sell tickets in memphis but in Charleston to get a close seat you have to buy one of three packages (Intro, Championship week-end, or Week-long). All session only tickets are in the nose bleed. So if you think a bunch of people are going to spend $200, $300, or $500 (these are the cheaper of the best seats) on the off chance that Anna will be around on the second or third day your nuts. They will buy the session tickets. If you think the tournaments make the most of their money on single session tickets your not correct. The majority of the seats at least at Charleston are package seats. Now will they sell out day one session if she plays for the nose bleed seats at $30-$35 bucks sure but what about integrity for the sport and a little integrity for the other female players that you are trying to attract?

do I think that people who are willing to shell out $500 and up for some seats know who Lisa Raymond is, yes, and if they don't they don't care, they just want to see tennis.

I know if I went to Charleston and Anna was playing there and they had the audacity to hang her silk screen banner on the outside of the stadium like she is a past champion I would be hopping mad and really would not spend my duckies there next year!

The fact that all of you'll are supporting this clear lack of respect for the defending champion as well as all the ranked players shows that some of you'll really are sheep. Excuse me for feeling that people will think a little harder before spending their hard earned money clearly you'll feel all men think with their little head first and their other head second.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:59 AM
First of all, as the previous post says, this isn't Anna's fault that she's getting all the attention.
And second of all I am not saying pointless stuff. Do I not have the right to an opinion? I think Anna is a better player than Lisa and I think she deserves to be promoted more than Lisa and people say my opinion is thoughtless and pointless? Just because you disagree?
Is it so crazy that I think Anna is a better player? I think she is. And I think if you ask most tennis experts they will say she is (in singles anyway). Sure she hasn't won a title yet, but Lisa hasn't had as many wins over top players as Anna, she hasn't acheived as a high a ranking as Anna, has lost the only career meeting against Anna, and has been a pro for a little over two more years than Anna...
Is this tournament going to sell more seats with Anna being promoted or Lisa being promoted? EXACTLY. Plus I think Anna is a better, more exciting player (again, this is an OPINION), so for those reasons I understand why Anna is being promoted. Maybe you still think that it's not right, but again, it ain't Anna's fault.
So my posts are pointless because of my opinion? PLEASE PEOPLE! Especially Mikey. What's your problem? I have no disliking for you but I think your comment is unfair towards me. I don't think I deserved that. You disagree with my opinion? Fine. But don't get pissed at me for it. :rolleyes:

May 1993
October 1995

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by RUS_4_EVER
You guys are acting like it's Anna's fault if she is on all the promos! It's not her that asks all the organizer to put her on all the promos!

It's only a question of money! Who will sell more tickets? Lisa or Anna? Even if Anna lose first round and Lisa makes the final, Anna will have seld more tickets then Lisa in all of her match!

Its not about Lisa vs Anna, its about promoting your tournament as a sporting event verses promoting as a swimsuit exhibition. Hello???

Marketing sets the trends not the other way around. It was PR that made Anna famous and the minute the industry decides to promote someone else as much as they are promoting Anna she will be history. So this theory that they have to promote Anna is really hogwash cause frankly if the WTA put as much effort into promoting tennis as a sport as the do promoting sex appeal, tennis would be a lot more popular. However, that would be too much work for them. Its easier to appeal to lowest common denominator.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:04 AM
People really are being dense aren't they? Its not about using Anna on some of the promos or all of them. They don't even have the defending champ on any of them. What message does that say to the public that even the organizers don't take their tournament seriously and view it as a tits and ass exhibition???

I don't know how they sell tickets in memphis but in Charleston to get a close seat you have to buy one of three packages (Intro, Championship week-end, or Week-long). All session only tickets are in the nose bleed. So if you think a bunch of people are going to spend $200, $300, or $500 (these are the cheaper of the best seats) on the off chance that Anna will be around on the second or third day your nuts. They will buy the session tickets. If you think the tournaments make the most of their money on single session tickets your not correct. The majority of the seats at least at Charleston are package seats. Now will they sell out day one session if she plays for the nose bleed seats at $30-$35 bucks sure but what about integrity for the sport and a little integrity for the other female players that you are trying to attract?

do I think that people who are willing to shell out $500 and up for some seats know who Lisa Raymond is, yes, and if they don't they don't care, they just want to see tennis.

I know if I went to Charleston and Anna was playing there and they had the audacity to hang her silk screen banner on the outside of the stadium like she is a past champion I would be hopping mad and really would not spend my duckies there next year!

The fact that all of you'll are supporting this clear lack of respect for the defending champion as well as all the ranked players shows that some of you'll really are sheep. Excuse me for feeling that people will think a little harder before spending their hard earned money clearly you'll feel all men think with their little head first and their other head second.

Don't you think? You bash Anna left and right and make her seem like some kind of devil when she has nothing to do with this.
So after Thomas Johannson won the Aussie Open should they have promoted him over every otherer player? No. Why? Because the Williams sisters, Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick will be there. After Patty Schnyder won the Swissom you think they will put a huge picture of her at the tournament? No. Why? Because Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters might be playing. Who do the public want to see? Lindsay and Kim. Sure I'm sure they like Patty as well, but she ain't the main attraction, defending champion or not. This is the same case with Anna...

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Its not about Lisa vs Anna, its about promoting your tournament as a sporting event verses promoting as a swimsuit exhibition. Hello???

Marketing sets the trends not the other way around. It was PR that made Anna famous and the minute the industry decides to promote someone else as much as they are promoting Anna she will be history. So this theory that they have to promote Anna is really hogwash cause frankly if the WTA put as much effort into promoting tennis as a sport as the do promoting sex appeal, tennis would be a lot more popular. However, that would be too much work for them. Its easier to appeal to lowest common denominator.

Swimsuit competition? HELLO. This is a tennis tournament. Anna is a WTA Tour player and you show her no respect. Just because she does off court things she isn't a pro? She can't be promoted because she never won a singles title? What about promoting someone who the public wants to see, someone who has been in the top ten, someone who has beaten tons of top players and has gotten deep into tournaments before...I don't see anything wrong with that...

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:13 AM

Is it so crazy that I think Anna is a better player? I think she is. And I think if you ask most tennis experts they will say she is (in singles anyway). Sure she hasn't won a title yet, but Lisa hasn't had as many wins over top players as Anna, she hasn't acheived as a high a ranking as Anna, has lost the only career meeting against Anna, and has been a pro for a little over two more years than Anna...

can I ask you do you know what top players Lisa has or hasn't defeated? Also, would you like someone being thought of as a better student then you just because one year they did better than you but you were steady for all 4 years of schooling and the people saying yes but in her freshman year her class rank was 8 and yours only got as high as 15. However, you are now ranked 21 and that person is ranked 50th. Years later and people still say that person is a better student cause she was ranked 8th once. I mean really how many players made it to the top ten for 6 months two of which include the off season, only to have fallen off greatly and still have people call them better tennis players than someone who has been a pretty consistent player most of her career.

I'm not saying Lisa is more talented (whatever that means) but she has a more successful tennis career than Kournikova and I think you are mistaking liking a player for someone being a better tennis player. That's my opinion on that.

Rtael
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Don't you think? You bash Anna left and right and make her seem like some kind of devil when she has nothing to do with this.
So after Thomas Johannson won the Aussie Open should they have promoted him over every otherer player? No. Why? Because the Williams sisters, Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick will be there. After Patty Schnyder won the Swissom you think they will put a huge picture of her at the tournament? No. Why? Because Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters might be playing. Who do the public want to see? Lindsay and Kim. Sure I'm sure they like Patty as well, but she ain't the main attraction, defending champion or not. This is the same case with Anna...

Yes landy, your right, but with what Rocketta is saying, that wouldn't be wrong. Lindsay and Kim are top players. The Williams and Agassi and Roddick are top players, so even if the defending champions have won the tournament, they might not be as good of players, but Lisa is CLEARLY better then Anna. You can have whatever opinion you want, frankly I don't care, but if you wanna look at facts you can see Lisa Raymond clearly outclasses Anna, and if you look at all those examples you cited, you'd see it has to do with the players level of talent, rather then their good looks (gag agassi's bald head) that's getting them promoted at these tournies

Rtael
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:16 AM
And to Anton, it's Anna Pistolesi now =P

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:18 AM
I KNOW Anna has had more top player wins that Lisa. They played a match before and Anna won in straight sets. So what does a computer say? Anna 50 and Lisa 21? So what? This means Lisa is better right? PLEASE. Martina was at number one for so long and she ALWAYS lost to power players. She wasn't really the number one player. At one point in Andre's career he dropped to number 141 or something like that...Was he really the 141st best player in the world? NO. Is Anna really number 50? NO. And she has proved that before...I mean no disrespect to Lisa, I like her and respect her as a player, but Anna is better. Whatever a computer ranking system says isn't always the truth...

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Rtael
Yes landy, your right, but with what Rocketta is saying, that wouldn't be wrong. Lindsay and Kim are top players. The Williams and Agassi and Roddick are top players, so even if the defending champions have won the tournament, they might not be as good of players, but Lisa is CLEARLY better then Anna. You can have whatever opinion you want, frankly I don't care, but if you wanna look at facts you can see Lisa Raymond clearly outclasses Anna, and if you look at all those examples you cited, you'd see it has to do with the players level of talent, rather then their good looks (gag agassi's bald head) that's getting them promoted at these tournies

How is Lisa clearly better than Anna IN SINGLES? She has more WTA titles and a COMPUTER RANKING system, which is often not telling the whole truth, says Lisa is better...So her ranking is higher and she has 3 titles...EVERYTHING else Anna has the advantage in, INCLUDING talent...And Lisa has been on tour for 2 more years than Anna...

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Anna is a better tennis player than Lisa Raymond...Lisa Raymond may not have psychological problems when playing tennis, but Anna does. In terms of who is a BETTER TENNIS PLAYER, stats aside, Anna is far surperior...

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:23 AM
and for the record Lisa has beaten

Capriati(2000, 2001)
Coetzer (97, 99, 2001)
Bovina (2000, 2002)
Dokic
Mary Jo Fernandez
Zina Garrison
Martina Hingis
Magdalena Maleeva
Conchita Martinez
Anastacia Myskina
Miriam Oremans (I believe during her prime)
Chanda Rubin
Arantxa (1999)
Monica Seles
Pam Shriver
Sandrine Testud
Natasha Zvereva

I believe most of these people have been in the top ten at some point.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Anna has beaten:

Kim Clijsters
Daniela Hantuchova
Elena Bovina
Amelie Mauresmo
Jennifer Capriati
Lindsay Davenport
Monica Seles
Martina Hingis
Chanda Rubin
Patty Schnyder
Maggie Maleeva
Mary Joe Fernandez
Anna Pistolesi
Elena Dementieva
Steffi Graf
Sandrine Testud
Silvia Farina
Lisa Raymond
Tatiana Panova
Amanda Coetzer
Alexandra Stevenson
Conchita Martinez
Amy Frazier
Iva Majoli
Barbara Schett
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
Natasha Zvereva

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM

You're darn right I think they should promote excellence and winning the tournament is excellence. I never said they couldn't promote Anna, I said them promoting her and her only was not right. I think not including Lisa and other top ranked women and men just to promote Anna is wrong.

I've never said a word about Anna the person. However, if you think they are promoting Anna the tennis player you are fooling yourself. They are promoting Anna the pin-up girl and if I'm not mistaken pin-up girls are frequently seen in swimsuits. ;)

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:36 AM
dlandy22 for the record I didn't include all the top players Lisa Raymond has defeated. Matter of fact she defeated some of the women on Anna's list as well but I wasn't trying to do an exhaustive list.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Listen Rocketta, I don't want to hate you and I'm sure you don't want to hate me. We have our differences in opinion, so let's just drop it...Alright? Let's call a truce...:wavey:

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:39 AM
np, dlandy. I hate very few people and certainly never someone who states his opinion respectfully so no problems here. :)

geewhiz
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:43 AM
I absolutely agree with Rocketta's point that it is disrespectful of Lisa because she is both the defending champion and at the moment higher ranked than Anna. It's also disrespectful of all the other players who are ranked higher than Anna.

But I think you are talking about two very different audiences. People who are serious tennis fans, who just want to see tennis, will already know about the tournament, they do not need an advertisement, etc, to make them attend. They will pay their $500 whether Lisa, Anna, or whoever are in the tournament promotions. It's the casual fan that this is aimed at and, rightly or wrongly, some of them will attend because it's got Anna and her t&a, they do not care in the slightest whether the organisers are taking the tournament seriously. Sure there are some people who will not attend the tournament because of this, but not that many, and the loss of their revenue will more than be replaced by a few people who pay for day passes just to see Anna.

I don't think people (with the exception of the Anna fans) are supporting there being a lack of respect for defending champions or anyone else. I think that people are saying that tournament organisers are not obliged to think in the same way that you are doing about fairness and the integrity of tennis, they, like the organisers of any event, are thinking about how much money they will make, they wouldn't be holding the event otherwise.

Excuse me for feeling that people will think a little harder before spending their hard earned money clearly you'll feel all men think with their little head first and their other head second.

Sure, if you'll excuse us for thinking that tournament organisers think with both of those, and not their conscience.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:43 AM
np, dlandy. I hate very few people and certainly never someone who states his opinion respectfully so no problems here. :)

:) thank god thats over...and i do admit you are right that lisa should have also been mentioned in the promotions...i was upset because of the negative things being said about anna and i was taking it out on you....im sorry....

Rocketta
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:50 AM
dlandy--Its all good! :)

geewhiz--Surely there is enough room and promotion for both kinds of promotions? One that promotes Tennis as a serious kick ass sport and one that promotes Anna?? Actually, what did these poorly old tournaments do before Anna when they had to promote the sport and the top ranked players?

ps. I'm going to bed so if you respond I'll see it tomorrow. :)

geewhiz
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:59 AM
dlandy--Its all good! :)

geewhiz--Surely there is enough room and promotion for both kinds of promotions? One that promotes Tennis as a serious kick ass sport and one that promotes Anna?? Actually, what did these poorly old tournaments do before Anna when they had to promote the sport and the top ranked players?

ps. I'm going to bed so if you respond I'll see it tomorrow. :)

They could do both types of promotion, but why spend money to do promotion you don't need? People who see tennis as a kick ass sport will not need that kind of promotion to attend. Yes, integrity to the sport, to be fair to the defending champion etc, but is that really why they do promotion?

I guess before they had Anna, or perhaps more accurately before they also promoted tennis as a t&a experience, they had smaller crowds.

night :wavey:

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:03 AM
In past years they did put pics of previous winners on the ads, but Anna Kournikova is more famous (ans better looking) than they are so...plus Anna has never been to Memphis before so people who saw Lisa last year will still want to pay and come back for something new (Anna)

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Indeed, anton. Thanks for the pics. :angel:

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:05 PM
ok.

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM
here is the last promo i scanned.
http://www.venustennis.com/forums/uploads/post-36-1045018031.jpg

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:37 PM
looks like lisa is in that last promo ;)

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:44 PM
i think the last promo was in a magazine that intelligent people read so maybe that is why...

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by anton
i think the last promo was in a magazine that intelligent people read so maybe that is why...

lol :) :) :)

anton
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:58 PM
but still Anna is everywhere...
she is on Billboards, the radio, TV, and also when you walk into the Racket Club there is a HUGE poster of her.

I would bet money her night session match Monday or Tuesday will sell out.

auntie janie
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Now I wonder if Chanda is even still playing? Not only no pic, but not even her name is mentioned? Maybe adidas asked her not to play so Anna can reach the final? ;) (JUST KIDDING!!!)

It can't be a race thing; there is James Blake on the promo (dwarfed by #54 Anna K, of course).

anton
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM
They only put past champions or very popular players on promos. I guess they think Chanda is not popular enough.

THE NET
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Anna rocks!!!
;)

auntie janie
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:35 PM
I think they are mistaken about Chanda's lack of popularity.
And if they promoted her -- even a LITTLE BIT -- as an exciting player, one of very few to beat Serena last year, former #6 in the world, from next-door Louisiana -- well then, more people would be really eager to see her.

With the promotion tactic they have chosen instead -- all Anna, all the time -- why should any non-tnennis nut want to attend any session when Anna is not playing? With their total silence about the other players, they are tacitly announcing, There is only one player coming that it is worth your while to see.

Not to mention, with all this breathless and relentless coverage about Anna coming to town, it is a self-fulfilling prophesy that she will fill the stands. But if she is so wildly popular, why not just assume that her sessions will sell out without so much effort, and focus some of the attention on the others?

Very strange. But very typical of what the WTA itself has been doing for years.

geewhiz
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
But I think Chanda entered really late, way after the people on the posters, etc. I would imagine that they get all the promo stuff done pretty early, so maybe she just wasn't entered at the time it was done?

Not that I am trying to defend the marketing of only Anna. As Janie said, unless they market anyone else, they are never going to get anyone else who can rival Anna's popularity and surely the more well-known people they have, the more seats they will sell. But I do think it would be a brave tournament publicist who would turn their back on Anna to promote someone else (especially if they wanted Anna to play there again ;) )

decemberlove
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM
anna isn't playing memphis anymore

The Guilty
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Is this really true??? :sad:

saff76ar
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by AnnaK_Fan
Is this really true??? :sad:

Yes, she's out for 3 weeks sadly.

http://www.kournikova.com/journal/journal24.php

"Hi, everybody -

I'm back from Australia and home in Florida right now.

My back sprain is improving but I won't be in tournament competition for about the next three weeks. Unfortunately, this means that I won't be able to play in Memphis next week, which is very disappointing for me. It's a great tournament that has a wonderful charitable beneficiary in St. Jude. I wish them all the best for a really successful tournament week.

While I rehab my back, I am still able to do fitness training and work on developing my game.

That's it for now. I'll be in touch again soon."

anton
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:35 PM
is this true? after all those promos? her face is everywhere in memphis.

RAA
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:00 PM
hahahahahaha

okay, I can't help but laugh. not AT anna.
but the whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking, I bet you Anna pulls out of this event, making this whole discussion ridiculously moot.

and there it is...

of course its a disgrace they don't promote the defending champion but this is what they get in return. lots of promotional materials with a player that has pulled out. and realistically, a player who would have lost fairly early in the tourney.

anton
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
people dont care if she wins or loses. they just want to LOOK at her and she was going to play doubles too.

this is shocking news.

apoet29
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Anna pulled out, but it doesn't really surprise me. I don't think we will see Anna in any tourney until Miami.

Unfortunately, this promo, by the Memphis tourney, has severely backfired on them. There is nothing wrong with promoting Kournikova since she is so famous and will be a big draw. However, by solely promoting her over other players in the draw, the promoters of the Memphis tourney have not given anyone, except the most devoted tennis fan, a reason to attend. Hopefully, this will be a lesson for them.

I wonder how long Anna's been back in Miami. The journal entry makes it sound as though she just arrived. However, the Star tabloid has a pic this week of Anna shopping in Miami last week. She looks good, but she is wearing a huge chain with a pendant of "E" on it. I guess we all know who that stands for!

anton
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM
didnt anna play doubles match in china? it was a pic of her on yahoo yesterday?

geewhiz
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:28 PM
If this is true, then lmao at the poetic justice! They've probably sold a load of tickets already though - I wonder if you can get your money back on the grounds that you only were only going for the t&a exhibition ;)

Rocketta
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:44 PM
That is very funny and gives more credence to what Janie and others have said. Had they spent some time promoting others then the casual tennis fan might of found a reason to attend however now with Anna pulling out and Anna being the only one on all the flyers except one they probably think the tournament is over.

I bet you they can't get their money back for tix already bought.

geewhiz
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
You could say that it was an excellent marketing strategy then - they have sold non-refundable tickets using someone who is not even going to be there ;) And it's not like this is entirely unexpected since she has done exactly the same thing before. Of course they look kind of dumb and this will backfire on them for other years, but as a short-term strategy, which is what all the WTA tournaments seem to use :rolleyes:, they will probably come out of this financially better off than if they had used other players in their promos from the beginning.