PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is with the Pittsburgh Penguins?

Blogger Dives
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I know some people in hockey think Super Mario is a god or something, but he's completely ruining this team.

Within the last few years since he took over they've given up: Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Robert Lang, Darius Kasparaitis, and now Alexei Kovalev. :eek: That's a lot of talent to be giving up for jack crap. Other than Super Mario (who is the biggest whiner in the game at the moment) what does this team have, other than a group of kids that belong in the minors or on waviers. Mr Lemieux better plan on playing another 10 year's he's all that damn organization has left. Poor Pens fans, the Super Pooper Mario has led them down the toilet. He's gotten rid of all those quality NHLers for Minor leaguers so he's the only damn superstar in the line up. Poor sad sad man, is afraid someone's going to be better than he is in a Pens jersey.

They said they expect to lose money this year, hell they better expect to be losing it for the next 10 with Mario as owner. I wonder how much his own salary is? The really sad part is, after this last trade with the NY Rag$ the Pens still expect this will help them get into the playoffs this year. :rolleyes:

I think Straka is next to be traded, I wonder what they get for him. A bag of used practice pucks, 2 minor leaguers picked up off waviers and $4 Mill to put in Mario's pockets? :confused:

seabiscuit
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:51 PM
lady dives!!!!! lest we not forget there would be NO Pittsburgh Penguins if not for the Great Mario. When he joined the struggling Pittsburgh franchise as a rookie in '84 he likely saved it from relocation and then brought them back-to-back Cups in '91 & '92--and no, Piitsburgh would have never become champions if not for Mario...And the current situation? Well Mario of couse saved the franchise again when he chose to become the owner of this bankrupted team that was headed for relocation...In an era where many athletes are loud-mouthed, immoral, and greedy--Mario has humility and accepts the responsibility of a genuine star...Lemieux has been the best thing ever for Pittsburgh hockey...as for all the recent activity I follow Minnesota & Dallas so haven't seen Pittsburgh much lately much to comment on the talent level...but just as many whined about Mario not wanting to get hit--he proved his toughness in overcoming many back injuries and Hodgkin's disease to remain one of the best players in the world...Pen's fans have nothing to feel sorry about

Blogger Dives
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Pens fans might have something to feel sorry about when Mario retires again. Their talent level is horrible at best. While all the above mentioned trades were salary dumps, and I keep hearing they need a new arena. I just don't think the Pens will be in Pittsburgh much longer. He might be saving them from going bankrupt but less and less people are going to support them as they trade off their stars. You have to put a quality product on the ice, in order to attract fans (something I wish the ownership of my local team knew about :mad: ) Right now the Pens, they have Mario and Straka. I hope the NHL passes a salary cap in the next meeting of players and the NHL. There needs to be something done. You have a team like the Rag$ who's salary is huge competing with small market teams. Sabres will be moving in the summer as well, I think.

So you like the Wild and Dallas, both are having great seasons this year. I follow the Wild some, although I'm mostly stuck on the local team "Tampa Bay Lightning" - which yes, I know are formerly bottom feeders. :rolleyes: How is Zyuzin doing for the Wild? I hope much better than he did for Tampa.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:06 PM
I was in Pittburgh when they won the Stanley Cup in 92 :cool: I still got the box of coke with the Penguin on it! :D oh god, it's so old:eek:

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:08 AM
well every professional sport has to deal with the issue of competitive balance--and do so without harming innovation or success...And Minnesota lost their hockey team with much more fan support than at Pittsburgh--and since pro hockey came back to MN every game has been a sell-out...and any follower of the Wild has to be a follower of super-star Gaborik right?...Zyzuin? not sure what he did before but this year he's been doing ok--not scoring much (2-3 goals I believe) but playing in most of the games and playing the system well...and of course Dallas was the former North Stars and in Dallas' first year I was down in OK City for school so saw my Stars all the time still...i am hoping for a Dallas/Ottawa series unless the NYI can somehow make it through...

Marri, marri, marri u r full of surprsises...too bad you were not there in 1991 when Pittsburgh beat the Minnesota North Stars 8-0 in game 6 to win the Cup lol...and no souvenier for me?:sad:..and just what does one do with a box of Coke with a penguin on it:confused:

lady dives...hope the Islander beat Tampa tonight:bounce: ...fo Peca, go Yashin, go Parrish! (a Minnesotan who played hockey at my current school)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:42 AM
lmao sea :p
i was 8 years old at that time!!! :o pfff, i don't even remember much from taht trip :o :sad: i went to the zoo, and i went to Kennywood! and i went to a mall! that's about it! the box is still standing on my bookshelf :cool:

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:03 AM
well Marri you've seen more of Pitt than me:eek:...but not as much hockey he he

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:15 AM
lol the only hockey i've watched is Espen Knudsen (Blue Jackets) and of Sergei Federov (coz of anna... lol)

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:20 AM
huh Marri? what about the Tampa Bay Lightening b/c of Marti's dally with that what's-his-name defensemen a couple years ago who played there...and dammit u r in hockey country somewhat:mad:...and i'd like it sooooo much if Marti found another hockey player-like Kristy Yamaguchi

King Satan
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:23 AM
THese are all financial moves. They can't afford to keep Kovalev. If it wasn't for Mario, the pens wouldn't even exist anymore.

Becca, can you clear this up for them?

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:25 AM
lol sorry sea, marti's has had so many men in her life it's hard to keep up... ;) lol of course i remember Pavel Kubina! :drool:

seabiscuit
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 AM
yes, that's his name---best data imo next to Philippousis (whom she dated omly once or twice i think)...all those men conflicted with Marti's tennis:fiery:

...yes becca come and clear this up

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:42 AM
i liked Magnus Norman :hearts: maybe bcoz he's swedish... and blond :drool:

nasty nick#2
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Martian Marri
i liked Magnus Norman :hearts: maybe bcoz he's swedish... and blond :drool:

I am both swedish and blond :D

nasty nick#2
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:34 PM
I loved penguins in the early 90's, when they had stevens, barasso, lemieux and jagr, damn what a team! :cool:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:17 PM
I'm more cocerned about my beloved Red Wings! They are in a slump, Stevie Y isn't back yet! And Curtis Joseph Sucks!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:18 PM
If Pittsburg could afford to keep their talent, they would. It's that simple.

The team is obviously in major financial difficulty. One does not just trade off players like Jagr and Kovalev (etc.) because they just happen to feel like it that day.

If they had the option, do you not think that they would be keeping players like this?

Crapping on Mario - who may be the sole reason that team is still around - is not the right direction to go.

Look at all the other teams in the league who are having financial problems? The top team in the east (I'm too lazy to check, they are still in the top two) went bankrupt while holding the number on spot in the entire NHL. How is that for irony? And that is only one of the two teams that officially filed for bankrupcy this season!

The problem is not Pittsburg. The problem is the NHL, which is in deep shit.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Check this out:

Kovalev deal underscores the desperate state of hockey (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/kostya_kennedy/news/2003/02/12/taking_sides/)

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Becca? Are You Okay? I Just Said That CuJo Sucks And You Didn't Attack?:confused: :confused:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Barrie Dude, Cujo is in a slump and the red wings won't win another cup with him playing like that.

What is there to attack?

Get this - I'm actually rooting for Ottawa to go all the way. I prefer Toronto of course, and my fellow leafs fans would have me shot for admitting that. But Ottawa has been in deep shit this season, and the franchise could certaintly use a Stanley Cup :)

If Ottawa doesn't win it, I'll be happy with Vancouver as well ;)

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Actually, I think that the fact that Sergei Federov not getting any ice time is a big part of it as well. And Stevie Y still being out!:sad:

I just thought with you being so hot for CuJo that you'd slap me around a bit!;) :p :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:36 PM
It's funny though, isn't it?

I bet you Detroit fans would looovvvee to have a goalie like Belfour right about now, huh? ;)

After Toronto lost Cujo for Belfour the cries of disgust could be heard in Florida.

Now here we are past the half way mark of the season and Belfour is looking like a likely finalist for the Vezina Trophy.

Who's crying now? :o

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
It's funny though, isn't it?

I bet you Detroit fans would looovvvee to have a goalie like Belfour right about now, huh? ;)

After Toronto lost Cujo for Belfour the cries of disgust could be heard in Florida.

Now here we are past the half way mark of the season and Belfour is looking like a likely finalist for the Vezina Trophy.

Who's crying now? :o

We'll see who carries home the Stanley Cup! Though! Balfour is having a bang up year, but it only goes so far. It's the Cup that counts! And just how many decades has it been since the Leafs won? Hmmmmmm? Would it be wonderful to see the Senators get it this year?;)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:44 PM
We'll see who carries home the Stanley Cup! Though! Balfour is having a bang up year, but it only goes so far. It's the Cup that counts! And just how many decades has it been since the Leafs won? Hmmmmmm? Would it be wonderful to see the Senators get it this year?

Well I highly doubt that the Leafs are going to win it this year. Sadly, many many Leafs fans seem to be blinded somehow and think that they will be front runners (they'll be front runners alright - to make the second round, that is).

If you read what I wrote above (did you?) you would see that i clearly stated that I wanted Ottawa to win it this year. We can't afford to lose another Canadian based NHL team.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Belfour, like Cujo, will only be able to carry the Leafs so far.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:49 PM
BTW, What do you think about the ownership change with the Leafs? Do you think they'll get serious about winning a championship here or what? As far as Ottawa, I'm hoping that they have things worked out there as well. The Sens attendance figures have been good, and they have been having a terrific year, so there are some positive things to build on there!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:00 PM
BTW, What do you think about the ownership change with the Leafs? Do you think they'll get serious about winning a championship here or what?

What have they ever been serious about aside from putting bums in seats? ;) As long as they keep Toronto fan favourites like Domi around, I don't think they are particularly interested in winning the Cup ;)

It's a shame. They can certaintly afford more talent and their draft picks have majorly sucked over the past decade or more.

Compare them to Detroit and their draft picks are pitiful :mad:

Compare their payroll to Ottawa's and once again - pitiful :rolleyes:

As long as they have a team that makes the playoffs each year and leave a bit of hope in the leafs fans, that will be enough to keep money pumping into the organization.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Yes, the cash is key! And Ottawa seems to be doing more with less! That's what is really pitiful!

Crazy Canuck
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Yes, the cash is key! And Ottawa seems to be doing more with less! That's what is really pitiful!

Well, duh, that was the point I made one post before yours.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:08 PM
:o I Know! It occured to me long after I posted it! But I have ann excuse, I'm a Man! Does that explain anything?;) :p :rolleyes:

NAT
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Sorry to but in, but the guy who should be playing more in Detroit (in addition to Fedorov) is Legace.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:26 PM
But Federov had 2 goals last night! And, even better news! Stevie Y expected back in the lineup at the end of the month!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Blogger Dives
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/elston.jpg

Blogger Dives
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:26 PM
The Dead Wings, don't even get me started on that team. There is no team in the NHL I dislike more than the Geratol Team! :p

Cujo is and always has been overrated. Manny can do a good job as he is shown but he's in no way a solid starter. It's funny, that Detroit is lacking on D and having to rely on kiddies to pick up the slack. An unproven D in front of Cujo spells disaster come playoff time. I just wonder what Detoilet is going to look like, when all the old foggies (probably 80% of the team) retires. I don't think the Cup Winning Bandwagon Fans at the Joe will be sticking around to cheer for too much longer. :D

seabiscuit
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
i'm with u--always have and always will hate the Red Wings...i hate red & white uniforms as it looks too much like the fricken commies...And Brett Hull the trader--from Dallas to Detroit is plain blasphemy

seabiscuit
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:33 PM
and lady dives...if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs u will have to come back here and apologize:p to the great Mario

Barrie_Dude
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:38 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: Shame On All Of You ! The Wings Are Great! :fiery: :fiery:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:41 PM
*is also not a Red Wings fan*

seabiscuit
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Dallas Stars...they are great! (not to mention a better city)

Barrie_Dude
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:46 PM
The Only Good Thing About Dallas Is That My Sister Lives There!:mad:

And, Becca!*Slap*! I thought I learned you better than that!:mad:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:47 PM
I don't get much coverage of the stars here. Actually my coverage of the entire Western Conference is pretty limited. In which case my thoughts on Dallas are pretty blank. I've been to lazy to check - is Turco still out?

I do realize that I shouldn't be mocking out Detroit fans though. I root for the Leafs, which is total blasphemy. But to do otherwise around here would spell my death ;)

seabiscuit
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Turco is still out with an ankle injury...as for a Canadian team I am hoping Ottawa finally does something in the playoffs...
http://www.dallasstars.com/photos/mofog.jpg

Barrie_Dude
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I don't get much coverage of the stars here. Actually my coverage of the entire Western Conference is pretty limited. In which case my thoughts on Dallas are pretty blank. I've been to lazy to check - is Turco still out?

I do realize that I shouldn't be mocking out Detroit fans though. I root for the Leafs, which is total blasphemy. But to do otherwise around here would spell my death ;)

Do you ever get to the Kitchener Ranger Games?

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Barrie Dude - why would I go see the Kitchener Rangers when I could just watch the Storm? :o

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I don't actually go to OHL games anymore. My hometown has an OHL team, and I used to go watch games when I was a bit younger, but I can't afford it these days.