PDA

View Full Version : Els Callens lets go ambitions in doubles

E. Blackadder
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:44 PM
http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2003/februari/callens.jpg

A little chance against Hantuchova

After a loss in the final round of qualifications in Tokyo, Els Callens prefered to stay in Belgium and train rather than playing in Paris. It seems it was a good decision as she easily put Dally Randriantefy aside in her first match at the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp.

"I have improved and my mysterious illness that kept me off the courts for months has fully healed. I was serving good today, returned as it should be and I felt like I was in control the whole match. It's a fact that when I play before a home crowd that it is an advantage, although people expect you to win and the nerves are a bit intenser than normal. It is very nice to play for such a enthousiastic crowd."

For once Els could count on the physical appearance of her coach and Jos Geerinckx saw that it was allright. "Normally we keep in touch by e-mail. He has his job here in Belgium and can't really make himself available to travel around the world with me. I have no problems with that, although it is easier when he is courtside."

The Belgian did let go of her doubles ambitions. "I belonged to the world's best in doubles for a long time, but Shaughnessy and Rubin both dumped me and it just isn't working quite as well with others. So nowadays I'm doing everything to improve my singles game. It will be a heavy job against Hantuchova. I give myself 2% of a chance to beat her. Two yearts ago I lost 6-4 7-5 on the ITF circuit, but by then she was only a rising star. Nowadays she's top5, and those are virtualy untouchable."

Hagar
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Why does Els not have a doubles' partner? :(
She's a great doubles' player. I hope she can build up a partnership with Casanova. She deserves a steady partner! :fiery:

jenny161185
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:51 PM
aw i feel sorry for her being dumped - did she really say she thinks she only has a 2% chance? now thats unconfident

E. Blackadder
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jenny161185
aw i feel sorry for her being dumped - did she really say she thinks she only has a 2% chance? now thats unconfident

She's very confident. She gives herself a chance but she's just realistic.

She sais she has nothing to loose and she'll give everything she can.

Did you guys see, after her match she had a short interview with Carl on court and she could barely hold her tears of luck, because she was so overwhelmed by the crowd. very touching moment (for me at least)

Scotso
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Go Els! :D

Berlin_Calling
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Els should play with Justine :D

xnedrabourne
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:48 AM
There is a chance that Els will play doubles with Justine at next years olympics :D

V.Melb
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Els is undertated in singles. She is infact quite a powerful player. If she gets her game together..... It won't be so easy for Daniela.

Els and Fujiwara both play the same role on the doubles court. Els needs to find a power player ---- like the Sugiyama/Clijsters or Mandula/Wartusch partnerships wich both have power and great volleys in the same combo.

onebridgecafe
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:25 AM
"Shaughnessy and Rubin both dumped me"

What a comment...I like the fact that Els is realistic and she stays away from an empty vanity. There are so many players who mix up confidence with arrogance. Players don’t have to be polite, but it is nice to see somebody like Els.

E. Blackadder
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Once again Els is stuck without a partner in Antwerp, as Casanova withdraws :sad:

DutchieGirl
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
pff! Els should play with Kristie! ;)

Hagar
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:56 PM
I hope some of the "dumpers" and those who think she's not a good enough player have seen her match against Hantuchova.

fleemke³
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Callens was dumbt twice in Antwerp. At first she would play with Justine but she withdrawd because of her shoulder. then Myriam didn't wont to play :sad: