PDA

View Full Version : Who is the meanest player ever to play tennis in the wta?

selesadmirer
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:16 PM
I would have to say natalie tauziat...what a complainer...who do you say.

Beat
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by selesadmirer

well, if you go around labelling a player as "the meanest", you should back that up with something, like e.g. an explanation. "what a complainer" is not good enough - must try harder. :p

irma
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM
I have no idea. are there players who try to hit the opponent before a match?;)

spiceboy
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Sarah Pitkowski

JonBcn
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Helen Kelesi

Infiniti2001
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Sarah Pitkowski

Indeed!!!

irma
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:08 PM
because of the comments she made? (pitowski I mean)

Ryan
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Definately Helen Kelesi. :D Allez "Hurricane".;)

spiceboy
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by irma

Because I've never seen any bitchier player on court (Ask Srebotnik about it ;) )

schris
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM

What did she say ?

irma
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM
she was claiming to be better as serena a few years ago and she said that in an awfull nasty way!

goshka
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:43 PM
What about Lina K? I remember something about her, when her opponent got injuried on the court, ad she stayed there and screamed at ref to continue match, or something like that? What a junk!

Can someone remind me that story?

AaronJoyB
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Lina K SAID SOMETHING AHAINST CAPRIATI IN ZURIGO FEW YEARS AGO AND CAP SAID THAT LINA WAS SO UNEDUCATED!

AaronJoyB
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:01 PM
....I can remember in Rome that Sandra Cacic called Mirjana Lucic "bitch" a couple of time and i scremed at her....well better i shut up!

brickhousesupporter
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM
she was claiming to be better as serena a few years ago and she said that in an awfull nasty way!

Was this before or after Serena beat her at the French?

irma
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:12 PM
I think it was at Paris indoor 2000

*JR*
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:20 PM
If Baby Blue Eyes aka Lina "got into it" with the volatile Jen, I'd wonder what was said to/about HER first. Beat, I can back up what selesadmirer said about Tauziat (no, nothing with silly police complaints or anything!), but will wait a few days. I'd rather let the Myskina thing (which made her the ONLY player I've ever actually hated) sink in for awhile (elaborated on in the "personal experiences with a player" thread. Again, the one really "spat on" wasn't me, but Mikhail, who never spoke to her, but was where Eggy is or may be in the weeks to come).

Mark43
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I gotta go with Dally Randriantefy ! What a BE-yotch!

Joseosu19
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I dont think any of us is to judge who's mean and who's not unless we know the players personally?

CJ07
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Jennifer Capriati was calling somebody uneducated???

:rolleyes:

JenCpLvr
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Has everyone forgotten that Irina Spirlea was a wicked *itch?

Frau Antje
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:15 PM
definately Magdalena Maleeva. Her "come on" at double faults from her opponents makes me always angry

gmak
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:38 PM
maggie rules ;-)

helen kelesi
sarah pitkowski
tara snyder

Venus Forever
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Irina Spirlea.

ASV
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Venus was quite mean to me.....she refused to sign autographs for myself and Mikey, and pretended not to even hear us after SEVERAL attempts the first time, and again at the second.

What a witch!

Venus Forever
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:39 PM
How is a player mean because they refused to sign autographs?? Sorry, but do you know how many people ask them for one?? I know I would be sick of signing them everytime I meet someone.

Ruski
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Serena is mean on court.... but she is alright off court.. indeed, she is not bad to people who ask her for autographs!!!

I agree with ASV about Venus' attitude off court... Yes, she doesn't like to give out autographs!! Well... she has her choice, but I don't think that's really nice!!!

JCAP
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:45 PM
i think that MOST of the players are slabbers at times i think but the worst is Lina K slabbering about jen in the FED cup. :fiery: :mad:

SerenaSlam
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM
ASV, i don't think the autograph thing is a good enough excuse. they can opt not to sign, and they can go on ahead an sign. as many times as they have signed autographs, venus and serena can choose not to sign every now and then, you just happend to be the "now and then" at that particular time. i bet if you asked again, they would go on ahead and give you there signature!

selesadmirer
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by VeNuS FoReVeR
Irina Spirlea. oh yeah..i forgot about her.

selesadmirer
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I would have to say natalie tauziat...what a complainer...who do you say. p.s meanest means is a trash talker,doesn't sign autographs,complains about grunting...etc

Brian Stewart
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Based on what I've read, Betty Stove comes off as mean on the court. She has a reputation for drilling her opponent with the ball at every available opportunity. Martina said she even did it during warmups! Whenever Martina turned to get a ball from the ballkid, she also got one in the back, courtesy of Betty.

Scotso
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Serena Williams

MLF
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
Based on what I've read, Betty Stove comes off as mean on the court. She has a reputation for drilling her opponent with the ball at every available opportunity. Martina said she even did it during warmups! Whenever Martina turned to get a ball from the ballkid, she also got one in the back, courtesy of Betty.

Haha, that story made me laugh Brian. Betty looked so sensible too.

Of players I've seen I really think Helen Kelesi was quite tough on court ( I liked her though ). Carrie Cunningham was of similar stock to Ms Kelesi.

TeeRexx
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Sprilea and that player who cursed out those poor aged officials at the 2001 OZ.

Steffica Greles
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Frankly, I've never known a less gracious player than the dreadful Nathalie Tauziat.

I sometimes used to think this was due to the frustration that she had underachieved during her physical prime and only reached consistency after the age of 30.

Sometimes I just thought it was sexual frustration, though.

She really was a beautiful player to watch, but a diabolical person and competitor whom I was only too pleased to see leave women's tennis.

maccardel
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Oh come on. I am shock that no one mentioned Jen especially at Usopen 2001 in the semifinal against Venus. Jen is the all time meanest and vulgar player on tour. She looks like she is about to jump that net and bash her opponent in the head with a racket.That is why Jen can easily beat the lil players and always fall to the big girls like Amelie Lindsay and Alexandra, not to mention the number one and two players in the world.

The big players are not gonna put up with her shyte like the smaller girls do...they always trash Jen and send her on her merry way.

Dokic#1
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Jennifer Capriat(bad attitude, fed cup incident)i, Irina Spirlea(the bumping incident), Nathalie Tauziat(her rude comments on other players) and Denisa Chladkova(the stupid american thing)

Venus Forever
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:59 AM
What was the stupid American thing with Denisa Chladkova??

I actually liked ehr, but I might change my mind if I hear what she said.

ASV
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Maybe I forgot to mention this: we saw Venus on two different occasions. She didn't even look down at us (as she was like 5" taller) and didn't even have the courtesy to say "Not now." She pretended like we didn't exist because we didn't have amazing tennis abilities.

Rolling-Thunder
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:50 AM
The post is about WTA players as players. So someone not giving you an autograph is not relevant. Stop complaining, You sound like such a whiner...My vote is Irina Spirlea. She seemed so nasty toward others. I think her bad attitude ultimately upended her career and talent which could have been very good.

selesfan
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Jennifer Capriati was calling somebody uneducated

LMAO!:D

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Charmbracelet-Lucic
Lina K SAID SOMETHING AHAINST CAPRIATI IN ZURIGO FEW YEARS AGO AND CAP SAID THAT LINA WAS SO UNEDUCATED!

JenCap called someone uneducated? Come on, you HAVE to be making that up. :D

selesadmirer
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Rolling-Thunder
The post is about WTA players as players. So someone not giving you an autograph is not relevant. Stop complaining, You sound like such a whiner...My vote is Irina Spirlea. She seemed so nasty toward others. I think her bad attitude ultimately upended her career and talent which could have been very good. What?

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:22 AM
I never saw Spirlea playing but I know she said something like "So she damn thinks she's the f***ing Venus Williams ?". I found that funny.
Jennifer is my pick : she talks trash to/about everyone : the umpire, the public, the opponent and she's a sore-loser.
Anyway I think they're all mean to a certain extent unless they wouldn't be tennis champions.
As a matter of fact Venus is not that sympathic too.
Martina Hingis was mean to other players with her ironic statements in press conferences.
Serena is definitely a "killer", but she seems nice off-court.
Monica Seles is the one who never cares when her opponent gets injured on the court.
Justine Henin is a mean fighter : It always seem to me that she has got a real hatred for her opponents especially on court but even in interviews, where she tries to "psychologically" prepare the fight on court with some subtile bashing.
Daniela Hantuchova, despite of her image of nice cute girl often shoots her opponents with pleasure in doubles (ask Anna K). Dani also has this funny habit : when she wins a point with the ball ripping on the net, she makes a movement meaning "I'm sorry" and then immediatly pumps her fist to celebrate and says "come on".

What's the "Chladkova stupid american thing ?"

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:28 AM
apparently chladkova said that too alexandra s after 11 september.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:34 AM
apparently chladkova said that too alexandra s after 11 september. said what :eek: ???

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:35 AM
that alexandra s was a stupid american.

Darran
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:39 AM
So is anyone disputing that alexandra is an american who is stupid?

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:44 AM
you can look it from that way too;) (nah I don't think alex is stupid)

but many saw that statement as a prove that chladkova was happy with what happened on 11 september;)

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I think nowadays there's a lot of people who think "Stupid Americans !"... just an impression.
But Chladkova was certainly unclever to say that just after the 11 september.
I don't think that makes her a mean person.

salima
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:01 AM
you can look it from that way too;) (nah I don't think alex is stupid)

but many saw that statement as a prove that chladkova was happy with what happened on 11 september;)

Typical for Americans, stupid Americans to think that

The meanest players on court is the ones who tries everything to win, sometimes the will of winning is overshadowing the fact that there is written and unwritten rules out there.

Svetlana Krivencheva and Capriati is such persons on the court, how they are private I have no idea.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:02 AM
BTW, I do think the Stevenson family are stupid persons.

Gandalf
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:08 AM
ASV was pretty mean on court too (ask Novotna), but really really nice off court...

Jeff
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Irina Spirlea :fiery:

And as of today, I heard from some of my college tennis opponents who had the chance to warm-up players at the Pacifc Life Open last year, that Alexandra Stevenson was the rudest and bitc.iest player.

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I doubt you even know who Nathalie Tauziat is. I bet you just heard of one incident where she complained about Monica and now she's a "complainer". Well I could call Monica a lot worse things from what I've seen her do only a couple of times. But I know better.

So Nathalie was wrong to speak up sometimes, but she is not mean she is rather nice. If you read her book you would know that she didn't write anything mean, she just criticised. There was only once incident that one could probably justify as "mean" but she didn't say it was Julie and Julie wasn't quite the saint either. But at least if you do criticise Nathalie or other players about certain incidents - do so with good reason and with good judgement. Now you couldn't even spell her name - that says it all.

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:36 AM
p.s meanest means is a trash talker,doesn't sign autographs,complains about grunting...etc

Trash - name one incident that Nathalie's criticisms were unfounded and not constructive. It was reported that she "trashed" Anna Kournikova but in reality she said she liked Anna, Anna had talent - but it wasn't fair that players like Lindsay were given less attention.

Nathalie has signed autographs, people on this board have had her book signed - I saw on Eurosport where she signed at the Open Gaz even when she was only commentating. She signed at the French Open doubles after losing the Semi Final to Justine and I think Elena Makarova. Besides, if you were on the tour for 2 decades wouldn't you be less willing than someone who had been playing for 2 years?

Complaints about grunting: How many exactly? 1? 2?

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:41 AM
For the record, there were numerous times where I disagreed with the way Tauziat acted. But she's none of the things that you say she is.

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:41 AM
yep that's true. she said anna was a funny person!

she critised anna's management though and I think in that case tauziat was right!

I think what she said about monica and nobody caring for her after 93 because she was monica was mean though. even when that was true then she should still not say such thing!

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM
irma: Agreed.

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM
ASV wrote:
Maybe I forgot to mention this: we saw Venus on two different occasions. She didn't even look down at us (as she was like 5" taller) and didn't even have the courtesy to say "Not now." She pretended like we didn't exist because we didn't have amazing tennis abilities.

Now i know why she can never do anything right in your eyes. You knew that you 'didn't have amazing tennis abilities', :p why did you go looking for something you know you had no right to?

*Servenrichie is perplexed*

BTW, if i were in Venus shoes, i wouldnt have signed for you either!:mad:

Love-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Guasimodo what you said about Monica not caring if a player gets injured on court is total BUNK. its amazing some of the bullshit some of you guys try to pin on Monica.

maccardel
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah Venus is mean. She shows up in the stands whenever Serena is losing and suddenly Serena starts to turn things around and eventually wins...damm I can't stand her....

Oh yeah and Venus plays like she's losing only to come out in the end and win, making her opponents look stupid....I could see how she is mean.

Get over it!!!

I met Venus on sixth avenue in nyc a few years ago and she was with serena. They were both nice and spoke for a second. As the girls become more successful and popular they cannot be as friendly to everyone considering the death threats and the stalkers out there.

What do you want? For both girls to come to your house, cook dinner and sit and watch tv with you?

Maybe you want them to make you a dress or some piece of clothing?
Mean is JenCap shouting at the linesmen and umpire...heck if the president of the US was walking in on one of her matches she would probably stop play to yell at him or ask for him to be removed.

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:40 AM
I don't think anything Chladkova said was wrong. She just called Alex Stevenson a stupid American. It was the equivalent of Amelie and Jana calling Martina Hingis stupid. Big deal, if it was before or after September 11. Some of you guys look into things way too much!

I agree with Love-Seles. When Monica's opponenets at the AO in 2001(1st Round) and 2002(4th Round) were injured, she went up to them and helped them.

sartrista7
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Irina Spirlea :hearts:

It makes all of you look so intelligent when you label a player mean or bitchy due to, like, one petty incident.

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:50 AM
I sincerely believe that Irina Spirlea's "bitchness" caused her downfall careerwise.

Cappy is also bitchy!

irma
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM
monica's fans are bitches, assholes and alcoholics;)

he they came up with that themselves;) (ali can confirm that;) )

Halardfan
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Messenger, in comparisson to Tauziat Julie is indeed saintly. :)

Its re-writing histroy to make out it was just a Julie v Tauziat thing...

If I remember, Julie, Sandrine, and Amelie all took against Tauziat and joined forces because they had enough of her...each had their own issues with her.

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:13 AM
monica's fans are bitches, assholes and alcoholics;)

he they came up with that themselves;) (ali can confirm that;) )

4 assholes, 2 bitches and an alcoholic!!! :D

Still lo0king for the all-time fuck-up! ;)

Aloysius
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Why are so many of you listing Irina Spirlea!? Lol. According to her peers, she was very well-liked. One bumping incident and several cases of mouth-frothing doesn't make her mean. We're being mean to the players right now, but that doesn't make us all mean. Seems like this thread was just an excuse to list players that we dislike. How can we truly know which players are / were mean if none of us really knew them?

pan
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:47 PM
HINGIS was often mean to other players in press conferences! (after 6-0 6-4 against BARBARA RITTNER in hilton head(?) a few years ago: "oh, i only lost the four games because i lost concentration. playing BARBARA RITTNER is boring!")

Messenger
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ba
Messenger, in comparisson to Tauziat Julie is indeed saintly. :)

Its re-writing histroy to make out it was just a Julie v Tauziat thing...

If I remember, Julie, Sandrine, and Amelie all took against Tauziat and joined forces because they had enough of her...each had their own issues with her.

Compared to Tauziat, Julie is just another player.

I think she was hard done by, especially when all 3 of them turned their backs on her. I know I know, Tauziat tried to paint herself as the "victim". But you know what? She was. I can't imagine what it must have felt like, or how someone can basically say "I'm not going if she's going so don't let her go". That's just, immature. And it's not how you solve conflicts.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pan
HINGIS was often mean to other players in press conferences! (after 6-0 6-4 against BARBARA RITTNER in hilton head(?) a few years ago: "oh, i only lost the four games because i lost concentration. playing BARBARA RITTNER is boring!") She was terrible !!!
I adore Martina Hingis. I think she's the greatest of all time at press conferences. She used to be mean to other players and to journalists too, with a great irony.

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:02 PM
quasimodo wrote:
She was terrible !!!
I adore Martina Hingis. I think she's the greatest of all time at press conferences. She used to be mean to other players and to journalists too, with a great irony. !!!

Had somebody else you dislike display the same traits, you'd be here foaming at the mouth at how bad that player is. What do you find so ironic in that statement?
Your problem as i have come to see is that you are a dishonest!

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by servenrichie
quasimodo wrote:

Had somebody else you dislike display the same traits, you'd be here foaming at the mouth at how bad that player is. What do you find so ironic in that statement?
Your problem as i have come to see is that you are a dishonest! To be honest this one was not ironic for sure. It was certainly mean.
Anyway I liked the natural way "Chuckie" had to say horrible things with an angel face.

Look at this one : Q. Martina, of course tennis is a full-time job, but you're now a young woman at an age when young women tend to think about dating. Are you dating?

MARTINA HINGIS: Me?

Q. Yes.

MARTINA HINGIS: I mean, well, I go to players' parties, as everybody else, just try to go out with somebody. If you're traveling so much as I do, it's hard to find somebody at the tournament. You would have to go every week with someone else, that's the problem (laughter). That just doesn't work all the time. I think I still have time for that things. Just right now tennis is the most important thing for me. You always meet new people at the tournaments.

Q. Have you had any players you particularly like, male players?

MARTINA HINGIS: Do you like any women's players on this Tour that you want to date? I guess the journalist surely wanted to be anywhere else at this time, lol.

The thing you don't understand, servenrichie is that Martina's way of being mean and her sarcastic quotes were among the reasons I liked her as a WTA star. It was part of her show.

Sharapower
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Taken from the same interview (After Martina trashed Monica Seles 6-2, 6-1 in Miami Finals, march 27, 1997)

Q. Was that the fastest final you've ever played?

MARTINA HINGIS: Might be. You should know it better than I do. I don't know how many finals I played already. I think it was one of the fastest, yes. Last time I played was 52 minutes, now 44. She made one game more this time.

Q. Martina, the year is only -- we're only in the third month of the year. You've already won over $1 million this year.

MARTINA HINGIS: This year?

Q. Yes.

MARTINA HINGIS: Wow (laughter). The money is rolling, rolling (laughter).

Q. What does a 16 year old girl do with $1 million?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, life doesn't change because you just won $100,000 more or less. What a bitch, a lovely bitch.

selesadmirer
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Messenger
I doubt you even know who Nathalie Tauziat is. I bet you just heard of one incident where she complained about Monica and now she's a "complainer". Well I could call Monica a lot worse things from what I've seen her do only a couple of times. But I know better.

So Nathalie was wrong to speak up sometimes, but she is not mean she is rather nice. If you read her book you would know that she didn't write anything mean, she just criticised. There was only once incident that one could probably justify as "mean" but she didn't say it was Julie and Julie wasn't quite the saint either. But at least if you do criticise Nathalie or other players about certain incidents - do so with good reason and with good judgement. Now you couldn't even spell her name - that says it all. Natalie is a trash talker,so whatever.

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:47 PM
@quasimodo
yada! yada, hope the ejaculation was good!

Halardfan
Feb 12th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Messenger its your choice to take Tauziat's side over...

Halard AND Mauresmo AND Testud AND Forget...

But I won't. Thanks.

Tell me WHY you think Halard Testud and Mauresmo "turned their backs" ( As someone once said...Purleeeeeaasssse) on loveable innocent, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, Tauziat? Took such strong action??

Are they just depsicable people? They would have to be if they did it without justifcation. Surely thats your position?

nemcl
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Irina Spirlea ... Canadian Open 1997 ... just a pure bitch from beginning to end ... the only tennis player I regret meeting !!!
nasty...nasty

alex_nur
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Hahahaha...Hingis was so funny. I think she will be missed for sure!! The money is rolling! Hahahahahaa..

The meanest player: I think Cappy-girl. I mean has anyone cursed so much on a tennis court?! Incredible!! And they want to fine Serena?! If they started fining Cappy she would be bankrupt right now!!

pan
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by quasimodo
She was terrible !!!
I adore Martina Hingis. I think she's the greatest of all time at press conferences. She used to be mean to other players and to journalists too, with a great irony.

for me it's not losing concentration. for me it's losing respect!

treufreund
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Martina is so damn hilarious. Sometimes she said some pretty mean stuff and YET SHE WAS EXTREMELY POPULAR IN THE LOCKERROOM. Because a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek.

But after seeing an anxious Venus Williams fan wait for her for at least 15 minutes to leave her practice session only to be treated like scum when asking for an autograph, I will have to go with VENUS WILLIAMS. Alexandra Stevenson seems like a real jerk too but I have not ever seen up close. On court she is rude though.

Nathalie Tauziat RULES!!!!!!! Yes she had a temper! But I never felt that she was mean. JUST REALLY REALLY PISSED!

marsha
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Just to add my personal "Tauziat was so mean!" story -- one year at the Lipton (I think maybe 1997) Natalie was **practising** on the grandstand court before the first (11 am) match. A group of us came in about 10:55 to get our seats and she yelled at US for distracting her! Gee willikers! I have not liked her since!

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:42 PM
What else would be new for you Treufreund? Closet Venus fan, that must have been hurting all these years. Treating you like scum. Ha, it seems she recognised you, without even reading the drivel you write about her and her family here.
I say good for her!

griffin
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
More NT as GBM (Great Big Meanie): a friend who used to post on the Sanex board saw her at New Haven the year she retired and said "welcome to New Haven, and good luck" to her - in French no less (and his French is pretty decent). She looked at him like he was a bug and walked away.

We all have bad days, but some people just seem to have more of them.

treufreund
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:55 PM
servenrichie you are silly! It was NOT ME who wanted her autograph but a VENUS FAN! A woman probably in her late 30's who was giddy with anticipation like a kid. We chatted about Venus for a few minutes and I did not have the heart to say anything mean about Venus since this woman was so excited. I came back a few minutes later after the dreaded Port-o-Let trip and stood there for a few more minutes when I saw Richard nastily shrug the onlookers off as Venus ignored them and grabbed her equipment and then walked out of the hitting court and just stuck her nose up in the air and looked away when this woman asked for her autograph. She was pissed and told me that Venus was her main reason for buying the tickets and then I told her that actually I am not a Venus fan at all and now will probably never be one but that I did not want to say that to her before out of politeness. I told her to just enjoy the tennis and that she will see a lot of talented players and she said that she will do so and we said "see ya, have fun".

griffin
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM
In her defense, I personally know two people who've met Venus and found her gracious and accomodating.

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM
You sold your credibility a loong time ago and you the silly one. Whining that Venus didnt sign an autograph for you. That has been your beef with this family all this years. Shame on you!

CapFan#1
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Well, if nobody will defend Cappy, I will! Come-on--- so she swore on court some times, big fucking deal! She never swore at anybody ( and a I quote "well call the fucking referee" - that is not swearing at someone, that's just swearing!). If you want call someone out for swearing at people, look at Serena! At the 2003 OZ open, she swore AT Loit and her own sister. Now that is a BITCH! She actually seems to be OK off the court, but what a bitch on the court. And she screams come-on when her opponents make mistakes, and always has excuses when she loses matches. She never compliments her opponents when they win. At least Jen will say her opponent played good and congratulate them. And Jen is well liked in the locker room (except by the Williams sisters and who cares!). Even when she was ridiculously kicked off the Fed Cup squad, Seles, and the other players said words of support for Jen.
And finally, Jen is one the nicest players to the fans, signs autographs, and that is why she is popular with the public!

I do think the meanist player on the tour was Martina Hingis (and I really like Martina!). However, she just said some the rudest things about other players. Remember when she called Amelie M. half a man. YIKES!:devil:

Gallofa
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Tauziat tried to paint herself as the "victim". But you know what? She was. I can't imagine what it must have felt like, or how someone can basically say "I'm not going if she's going so don't let her go". That's just, immature. And it's not how you solve conflicts.

I couldn't agree more. If they had a problem they could had written a book about Nat's shortcomings, but taking her chance to play the Olympics? That's not only immature, it's a terrible wrong doing.

Caz
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Compared to Tauziat, Julie is just another player.

I think she was hard done by, especially when all 3 of them turned their backs on her. I know I know, Tauziat tried to paint herself as the "victim". But you know what? She was. I can't imagine what it must have felt like, or how someone can basically say "I'm not going if she's going so don't let her go". That's just, immature. And it's not how you solve conflicts.

Yes! My sentiments exactly. I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must have felt to have all her teammates saying 'I won't play if she does'. And I agree, IMO that it was a very immature way for the other French players to have handled the situation. That kind of behaviour doesn't solve probems, it just creates even more bad feeling.

As for the person who said she doesn't sign autographs, I had my copy of Nathalie's book signed at Birmingham last year. She signed it, smiled and asked if I could read French. So, as far as giving autographs go, from my experience, she is nice as any other player I've met. :D

Helen Lawson
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:43 PM
The three French girls, Testud, Julie, and Mauresmo, do not strike me as the vindictive, bitchy, prima donna type. Testud did a little, but not the other two, no way, quite the opposite and I have seen two of them play several times and seen how they act in victory, and in defeat. For all three of them to have ganged up on her like that, Tauziat must be really bad. I have seen Venus interact with fans, like 3-4 times, she was always all-smiles and gracious. I have never seen her pull any "mean stunts" on court.

I think actual players would be in the best position to determine the meanest, imo.

Halardfan
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Then Julie and Sandrine and Amelie must be awful people.

That is the logic of anyone who is in the Pro-Tauziat camp.

To help take away someones chance of and Olympic place for no good reason would, by definition, would be awful. You agree surely?

It is a shameful slur on Julie's and Amelie's and Sandrine's good names and reputations to suggest it.

From a player, in Tauziat with a LOUSY reputation.

A few recent comments from Ai Sugiyama regarding Julie...

"Julie is one of the closest friends I've had on the tour."

"We could trust and support each other not just skiis wise but also mentally"

"Just knowing she was playing next to me gave me so much sense of security and peace on the court."

"On top of that, needless to say, it was not just playing together on the court that made it possible for us to make such great team work but our friendship on and off the court played a big part.
She is such a caring, warm and considerate person, that she can sense how you are feeling."

"I really want to thank tennis and the tour for giving me such a great opportunity to get to know such an important and indispensable friend like Julie"

Does this sound to you like a person who is cruel? Who would act without good reason, out of spite to ruin things for Tauziat??? As if.

If only Julie hadn't wasted those years playing with Tauziat, having her hold her back so much, having to carry her useless dead weight. :)

Caz
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:01 PM
No, I don't think Julie, Sandrine or Amelie are awful people. I actually quite like Sandrine, but seeing as how I don't know any of them, who am I to judge what kind of people they are? All I can judge is what they publically did on that occasion.

If I'm being honest, I think it was a knee-jerk reaction, because at that time they felt hurt by things they had read in Nathalie's book. However, to say, 'I am not playing if she is' *is* IMO pretty immature and not a solution to the problem. However, I would imagine it was said in the heat of the moment, whilst the players were still upset.

Equally as well, IMO, they shouldn't have been allowed to get their way, because Nathalie had earnt her right on that Olympic team through her tennis skills. And her tennis skills are all that should matter for determining whether or not she should have had the chance to go to the Olympics.

Helen Lawson
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Somewhere on the board I read that one of the Spanish girls, Medina or Anabel, or something, rubs out marks on close calls and deliberately tries to trick the umpire into looking at other marks when a call is questioned. I have no idea if this is true or whether I got the story right but that is pretty mean if you ask me, if it is true.

Halardfan
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Sandrine is the one who has spoken most about it, she made clear that the book was only the last straw, part of a catalogue of actions on Tauziats part over the years, that made her teammates sick to the back teeth of her.

It was a considered decision taken by all three players together, to say, if you are picking Tauziat, then don't bother picking any of us.

A risk. Risking their own places on the team, becuase they felt so strongly.

Again if its a choice between trusting the judgement of Julie, Sandrine and Amelie or Tauziat's, then its no choice at all!!!

Lets be neutral for a second...

Which player out of Halard, Testud, Mauresmo and Tauziat has the worst reputation?

TAUZIAT. By a country mile. By a million country miles!

Yet people take her word over that of her three superiors! Bizarre.

Gallofa
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Chris, the point is that a wrong doing doesn't right another wrong doing. Nathalie was wrong, but Sandrine, Amélie and Julie were wrong too.

I don't think they are awful people, I don't know them. I actually quite like the four of them, they are good players and overall nice people. However, I do think that what they did was wrong and unfair. We tend to judge others by their actions and ourselves by our motivations. I would not judge them as people, since I do not know of their motivations, but I still think what they did was not right.

I have read Nat's book, and I found nothing offensive on it, nor would I have dwelled on any of the points that Julie (who was not even mentioned) or the press brought to attention. Now, the french girls were offended and they had every right to be. Nathalie had no right to discuss them in her book if they were against it. It's just a book though, her opinion. They could have very well ignored it, or say that it was untrue if they felt it was. Or published their opinions about Nathalie, but going to the Federation and taking away from Nat what she had earned? I am sorry, but that was wrong. And even if what Nathalie published in her book was wrong too, that doesn't make what they did any better.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Chladkova is such a bitch! I asked for a picture with her and she just said "No," and walked by. Now that's understandable if she had a bad day or loss. But she had just won her match 6-1 6-1 and blew right by requests from the spectators. My sister looked at me and said "Hey, if I looked like her, I'd be angry all the time too.":o Sheesh what a buzzcut she had:rolleyes: ;)

Hidden Stillness
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Amusing that people who criticize Jana Novotna support Tauziat.

Messenger
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Look Chris I don't think that Gallofa, Caz or I are "Nathalie fans". I am not a die-hard supporter of any one player, and Gallofa and Caz are probably fans of the Spanish players. But you have a "reputation" as being a heavily biased Julie fan. You have the worst reputation for bias, by a country mile.

So according to your theory, that ruins your credibility and no one should believe anything you say in defense of Julie - because quite frankly she could commit first degree crimes and you'd still tell us what a sweet, innocent, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth saint she is. You're basically screwed from the start because you have a "reputation". You don't have the ability to be neutral when it comes to Julie. Sorry.

Halardfan
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Here is why you are WRONG Messenger...Tauziat has a reputation which as you can see by this thread, is among the very worst on the whole tour, not merely when you are choosing from the list I mentioned.

Now, if your saying that the same is true for me, in regards to JHD, then I don't think you ever actually read the board...to be among the worst on this board for bias, Id have to be someone who slagged off nigh on every player who was not their out and out fave, there are plenty such people here.

I just don't feel I fit into that category. No way.

End of the day, Tauziat was enitrely WRONG. Like you.

THE NET
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:05 AM
I'd prefer to call these players...BITCHES.

Natalie Tauziat
Elena Dementieva
Jelena Dokic
Daniela Hantuchova

They have bad attitudes on court, giving bitchy interviews, meany to other players (esp. to those in the top 10)

I am not a big fan of Williams sisters but I have never seen them being too bitchy around.

;)

irma
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:07 AM
what did hantu say?

Messenger
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Here is why you are WRONG Messenger...Tauziat has a reputation which as you can see by this thread, is among the very worst on the whole tour, not merely when you are choosing from the list I mentioned.

Now, if your saying that the same is true for me, in regards to JHD, then I don't think you ever actually read the board...to be among the worst on this board for bias, Id have to be someone who slagged off nigh on every player who was not their out and out fave, there are plenty such people here.

I just don't feel I fit into that category. No way.

End of the day, Tauziat was enitrely WRONG. Like you.

Chris, I'm talking about bias not abusing other players (which does happen on this board).

In terms of bias towards a certain player, you are among the worst. This is the way you act when even the slightest (justified) criticism of Halard is put forth. You act like she is a saint and you worship her daily. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be so entirely devoted to a single player, I'm saying that according to your theory about reputations you would be screwed against the majority in a conflict - your credibility is less than our's. According to your theory, that is.

But your theory is bull. I don't see why Testud, Mauresmo and Halard should be in any way excused from what they did because Tauziat has a reputation for being "bad" and so any injustice done to her has to be deserved.

As for Tauziat, she actually didn't have the "worst reputation on the whole tour" in fact a lot of the time there was no attention on her even though she was ranked in the top 5, top 10. I can certainly think of many others who had worse reputations, a lot worse.

Gallofa
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Look Messenger, we are all biased, I certainly am ;) it need not be that bad a thing really, it just makes you defend your favourite all the more passionately. I see what Chris is saying about Nathalie being wrong about the book and, it is true that intentionally or not, she did hurt Julie with her book. So I guess for Chris this was a bit of poetic justice.

Actually, I have to say that I don't think Chris is a biased poster as far as posters on this Board go, in fact he does not even register in the biased scale. It is simply that he is probably the one fan of Julie in here.

I still think they had no right to steal her Olympic chance though :p

MLF
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM
I don't think not signing an autograph or cursing makes a player mean. I curse and I don't think I'm mean plus I don't think I could be bothered signing a lot of autographs either ( if I were ever asked ).

Steffi was not immune to the odd bitchy comment herself. But Helen Kelesi is still heads and shoulders above all the others named so far!

As for Tauziat, I didn't like her but she should have played at the Olympics as her ranking was sufficient. The other players didn't have to hang out with her. Merlene Ottey and the Jamaican sprinters didn't get on but they just picked the people who were fasted instead of the clique. France should have took a similar approach with the tennis.

Halardfan
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Many of the more popular players have large fan groupings...Williams, Hingis, Mauresmo, the Belgian girls, whoever...at any given time they have a host of people figihting their corner, and frankly, a host of people every bit as biased as me in my way.

But as one of the very few out and out Julie fans I stand out more.

One of the most obvious manifesation of bias would be as some people do, to have no repsect for anyone my fave ever played, to be enitrely dismissive and rude to anyone she plays.

Not something Ive indluged, except maybe to the most small degree...

The point about Tauziats reuptation is this...we only have a few facts to go on, a few spiteful quotes from Tauziat which as Testud as suggested, are only part of a wider picture.

So it DOES come down to us gauging the truth, partly based on what we already know about the people involved...we know plenty about Tauziat and most of it isn't good!

Sequence of events according to Testud...and me!

1. For a considerable amount of time Tauziat is a destructive and disruptive influence in Fed Cup's, on the tour, manging to alienate many and various team members and coaching staff...

2. In her book and elsewhere she directly or indirectly pours scorn on various people in French tennis, including Mauresmo, Halard, Testud, Forget, Noah...sometimes passing scathing comment on the private lives of these stars, sometimes their professional commitment...

3. The people mentioned by Tauziat are NOT happy, downright angry but there is no mention of any action being taken...

4. In the run up to Wimbledon the issue surfaces again, Halard makes clear how upset and angry people are...given the chance to apologise, Tauziat fans the flames, says "some people don't like the truth" is arrogant and dismissive.

5. Halard, Mauresmo and Testud meet, they decide to risk their own places in the Olympics in the hope that Tauziat will not be selected. Bear in mind that a likely doubles selection would be...Halard/Tauziat(!) Their anger at Tauziat makes them risk everything.

6. Tauziat is omitted. Tauziat flies into a rage, blames everyone but herself, whines, moans, manages to get everyone's sympathy depsite the fact that the enitre bloomin' situation is HER FAULT! :) Fans on certain tennis boards queue up to pour scorn on Halard, Mauresmo and Testud, accuse them of all manner of treachery. It is then and only then that Chris Ba comes out fighting! :)

(Caution: This account may contain BIAS!)

irma
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I read many bitchy quotes from steffi from 1990. then I discovered they were all in the same interview

obvious she was in a bad mood that day ;) (and we know she married one of her victims so it's alright)

Asmus
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I don't know about who the MEANEST players have been, but here are the players who have been the LEAST POPULAR historically, which implies meanness:

Nathalie Tauziat, Anna Kournikova, Venus and Serena

Caz
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:16 PM
I think people need to actually read Nathalie's book, as opposed to just the few out-of-context quotes reported in the English speaking media, to understand that the few comments reported weren't really meant to be mean to people but to illustrate points. Whilst I feel that Nathalie could have been, and probably should have been, very much more tactful about how she wrote the things she did, they did have their place in illustrating her viewpoints and the majority of her book was interesting to read and could not have been construed as offensive to anyone. However, the media chose to only report the negative, controversial, bits.

Yes, Nathalie and the other French plyers and the French Federation certainly had issues, but seeing as how I don't actually know any of the people concerned I don't feel in a position to judge who is in the right and who is in the wrong, if indeed any of them are. Regardless, IMO, these issues should not have affected Nathalie's place on the Olympics team. The team should have been chosen according to the rankings, then it should have been left up to the players - if they really wanted to forfit their place on the team, then they should have let them.

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:09 AM
OK, let's assume that Julie, Sandrine, and Amelie were mean-spirited and immature to hold out against Tauziat. These three ladies were known as 3 of the nicest, friendliest, easiest to get along with people on the tour. What kind of a person would inspire this sort of behaviour from three different people who are typically wonderful? And let's not forget St Nathalie's wonderful account of a her great friend and doubles partners breakdown in the locker room. How she so nicely revealed a friends deepest saddest insecurities to sell 10 more books.

Dawn Marie
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Venus was nice when she signed my tennis magazine. Hey, I was in the midst of a bunch of little kids and Venus still signed mine. I'll never forget that moment. It was all worth my flying down 6 rows of people and over people and thru people to get it. People were mad at me infact one lady gave me a crazy mean look, but I was not in reality at the time. It all happened so fast, and when Vee saw her dad's signature I think that helped for her to sign my mag. She even looked up at me.

Ok, back to reality. I'm tellin' yah though if your a true tennis fan and you finally are so close to your idol, you will be DAZED. It was like a dream.

Sorry I got off topic.. lol

irma
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:52 AM
well if tauziat spoke about breakdowns from players in the lockerroom in her book to sell more then she is not first player who did that right?

Jakeev
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Well after reading all the responses in hear I guess ya just better say the entire tour is made up of bitchy, mean and wicked women.

I guess we want pretty little maidens? Stepford wives?

Gimme a break......as far as I am concerned the majority of every woman that was dissed on this thread are what makes the WTA tour spicy and fun to watch.

Get over it.

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Gallofa, you talk thoroughly good sense 99.9% of the time...and are are pretty much the definition of a top class poster and indeed person... :)

BUT, in the narrow case of Nathalie "Wicked Witch of the West" Tauziat I just feel you are wrong. Wronger than the wrongest person on the wrongest planet in the wrongest solar system in the wrongest galaxy, in the wrongest universe. :D ;) (Teensy exaggeration, for effect. ;))

Tauziat supporters (who are strangely reluctant to identify themsleves as such! :D) need us to beleive the following...

That Tauziat was merely misquoted and on the right side in ALL of the following run-ins...

With Mauresomo, with Halard, with Testud, with Noah, with Forget, with the French Federation, with Seles, with Kournikova, with the other half of the WTA she has managed to offend over the years...need us to beleive that Ai Sugiyama's hugely positive assesment of Julie is wrong, need us to believe that the widespread negative general perception of Tauziat is wrong...

(Pause for breath)

What I find easier to believe is that the main person at fault has been...

Nathalie Tauziat.

Much simpler. Clear cut. True. :)

As the saying goes...she could start a fight in an empty room! :D

Gallofa
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:14 PM
BUT, in the narrow case of Nathalie "Wicked Witch of the West" Tauziat I just feel you are wrong. Wronger than the wrongest person on the wrongest planet in the wrongest solar system in the wrongest galaxy, in the wrongest universe. :D ;) (Teensy exaggeration, for effect. ;))
She'd be great as "Wicked Witch of the West" don't you think? Poor Dorothy wouldn't had stood a chance against Nat ;)

:p

I agree with Jakeev, these girls with personality make the tour interesting :D

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Chris Ba.:rolleyes:

Nathalie was wrong to talk about the others in her book, but they took her place on the Olympic team when she EARNED IT. Even though you are thoroughly biased and ignorant, I would expect you to at least admit that was wrong. It doesn't matter how WRONG Nathalie was, or if she was "The Wicked Witch of the West", Halard and the other French bitches acted like immature babies.

Messenger
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Well I think it's just as bad to identify oneself as a Tauziat fan as to identify oneself as an Halard fan. I quite like(d) both, but I wouldn't say that I could ever call myself a supporter of either. I think there are just as many proud Tauziat fans (not many) as there are proud Halard fans (not many)

Alright, this is where you reasoning is wrong Chris.

Ai Sugiyama doesn't need to be a liar for Nathalie Tauziat not to be a mean person. Ai Sugiyama doesn't have to be a liar for Halard to have acted badly and to have been wrong.

Who brought poor Ai into this argument?

I can believe that Sugiyama and Halard get along great, and that Halard is (generally) a nice person. I can also say that Halard was wrong regarding this incident. These two statements are not contradictory.

The general perception of Tauziat is not wrong. Though I think the general perception of her is a lot less severe than you were implying. So she's not Miss Sunshine. Thank god for that.

She's definately not known for being a cheerful person. But Tauziat is also not known for a being mean, nasty person. Controversy? Yes. Unapologetic honesty? Yes. But not known for being mean. Actually, not well known in general. It's clear that many people don't even know who she is (selesadmirer).

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Ryan your post shows exactly why I am RIGHT to defend Julie and the others on this issue, that I refuse to let people get away with trying to ruin the reputations of, as you so charmingly put it...

"Halard and the other French bitches"

Gallofa, personality is great, Julie had loads of it...

However, Tauziat does not have personality, she has a mouth the size of the channel tunnel. There is a difference. :) ;)

Messenger, Ive noticed several people, not neccessarily Julie fans, have mentioned Tauziats bad reputation in this thread...it is I think you'll find not an uncommon view.

You say of Tauzia

"She's defintely not known for being a cheerful person"

Hehehehhehehhehehehe! :D Ooooo that is an understatement!

Anyone who sees any kind of parity in the kind of people Julie and Tauziat are, has bad judgement that is frankly off the scale...

Messenger
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:47 PM
That's right, Tauziat will always be remembered! Chris I find that a lot of the people who criticise Tauziat are just speaking from pre-conceived stereotypes or conceptions and don't actually form a good argument as to why they think that way of her. You know, both Julie and Nat were called bitches in this thread ;) Anyway, like I said before, I'm glad that Nathalie is the way she is which is completely different from Julie.

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Tauziat will on her 59th comeback by then. :D

Just to spite me. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Messenger we agree at last! Tauziat is completely different from Julie! How true! :)

A total opposite, Im sure everyone will agree. :)

Thanks for giving Julie such a compliment! Thats sweet! :) :p

Messenger
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I think Julie is bori...

Halardfan
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Really and I think Tauziat is a right Co... Not to mention vil... spitefu... stinkin...nast...and dreadfu...

I also firmly beleive you are an absolute idio...

:)

There is so much love in this roo... :)

Messenger
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Chris, I thought you were going for the "My view of Tauziat is justified and reasonable" route?

Well if that's out the door:

First biased opinion: False
Second biased opinion: False
Third biased opinion: False
Fourth biased opinion: False
Fifth biased opinion: False
Sixth biased opinon: False
Seventh biased opinon: Possibly, that may be why I don't worship Julie like everyone should.

disposablehero
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:41 AM
You know, both Julie and Nat were called bitches in this thread ;)

The difference is, I haven't heard Julie called a bitch outside of this thread. (And my opinion is from someone who could personally care less about her) However, I am a big Sandrine fan, and she doesn't go around messing with people's careers just to be a bitch. Maybe exluding Tauziat was the right thing. Look what happened to the US Fed Cup team when conflicting personalities tried to work together. Do you send Tauziat and the highest ranked French players who will put up with her, or do you send Mauresmo (who was at least as good), Testud (who was just as good) and Halard (who was almost as good)?

One thing you'll notice about Monica, she seems to have something great to say about everyone. Yet she never seemed to say anything about Nathalie. Go figure. Can anyone name a recent top 20 player who had something good to say about Tauziat? Hingis did, and that was about her game and intelligence, not what passed for a personality. Try and name another.

Messenger
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:09 AM
disposable, let's get this clear I don't think it's justified to call either of them bitches. None of them deserve that.

I know what you mean about positive quotes from other players. But Hingis was very complimentary, and I did get the impression that she was friends with her and her mom (I think they had nicknames for each other). I never followed her career, but I can only think of quotes that compliment her game and what she achieved at a late age etc. But this isn't necessarily an indication that everyone disliked her or that she was "mean". It's more likely that she had few friends, or found it difficult to "get along" with the others.

I'm under no delusions as to the negative things that Nathalie has done in her career. Like I said before, she was wrong to do certain things the way she did. If someone wants to criticise her about those incidents and say that she was in the wrong (without the name calling) then I don't see a problem with that. But it was selesadmirer's original post that just shows the kind of ignorance that's out there.

By the way I did find this one by Stubbs in 2001 (quick Google search)

"It's a shame that Nathalie's ending her career this year because she's still an unbelievably good tennis player and we're really going to miss her out here".

So it refers to her tennis skills again, but it's a nice rare quote and I feel that it's closer to the truth than the universally hated woman she is often painted out to be.

Messenger
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:10 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/halarddecugis/photos/juju4.jpg

selesfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:18 AM
I spoke to Tauziat when I worked out local tournament, she was very nice and down to earth. she actually called us herself to get a hotel room instead of acting like a prima donna like some of the other top players. She was very nice when I sat near her watching a doubles match, she was also very funny and I thought she had a sweet personality.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Bradshaw, I've also heard that Denisa has an attitude; and a reason why (not that this justifies it): she and Marti were friends and practiced alot as kids in Slovakia, and look where each one's career went. Re. the "stupid American" remark, I only have this 3rd hand, but from a trusted friend with his own trusted friend @ the Moscow Airport: it was said TO Alex, but ABOUT Samantha, who was raising holy hell about the "requested" bribe to clear Alex's hitting partner. As $ was eventually seen changing hands, perhaps Denisa was right that Samantha was stupid not to just "accept reality" (something I can relate to, I guess ;)). But then, maybe Samantha in effect bargained them down, so wasn't necessarily stupid... :confused:

Zummi
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:52 AM
I felt sorry for Tauziat at the time, but obviously, it is unfair to blame Amelie, Sandrine & Julie. They didn't get to pick the team. It was the FFT who decided that so if you're going to be mad at anyone, get mad at them. They could have easily decided to let Tauziat play along with other French players, excluding the above 3.

And what Tauziat wrote about Julie's relationship with her husband - something about him holding her hand when she used the bathroom facilities - was unconscionable.

geewhiz
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:35 AM
well, to add my 2pworth to a debate which is probably never going to be resolved...

IMO, Nathalie was badly treated by the FFT. We are talking about the Olympics, not Miss World. There is no requirement that you should be a nice person, it is not a popularity contest, you do not have to want to save orphans or whales to take part in the Olympics, you simply have to be amongst the best in your chosen sport, and Nathalie was. Therefore, the FFT and Jule, Sandrine, Amelie, et al, were wrong to try to deny her a place on the team because it is contrary to the ethos of the event. Would Nathalie's presence have disrupted the team? Only if the others had let it. They could simply have had nothing to do with her, there was no requirement for them to live, practice or play with her if they didn't want to. IMO, they were not thinking of the team, they just wanted to pay her back for writing stuff they didn't like about them, and the Olympics is not the stage upon which to do that.

Just because someone is thought of as a bitch doesn't mean they can never be right. And just because someone is a nice person doesn't mean they can never be wrong.

Inge de Bruijn
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Zummi
I felt sorry for Tauziat at the time, but obviously, it is unfair to blame Amelie, Sandrine & Julie. They didn't get to pick the team. It was the FFT who decided that so if you're going to be mad at anyone, get mad at them. They could have easily decided to let Tauziat play along with other French players, excluding the above 3.

And what Tauziat wrote about Julie's relationship with her husband - something about him holding her hand when she used the bathroom facilities - was unconscionable.

Zummi Nathalie Tauziat didn't write that it was Julie. So um, isn't it Ms. Halard-Decugis' fault for throwing a hissy fit and making it look obvious that she was mad at Ms. Tauziat? Because after that, there was no doubt that it was her but people wouldn't really have known if she hadn't shown that she was upset.

King Lindsay
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:04 AM
One thing that hasn't been said about the Olympic controversy. Nathalie was the #1 player in france at the time. Got that? The #1 player in France did not get to play the Olympics. If the French federation had any backbone they would've told Amelie, Julie and Sandrine to hit the pine and that they'll send tauzita, dechy, loit and ... i don't know, you get the point. The fact is, as somebody pointed out, Nathalie EARNED her spot on that team, and she deserved to go there to play.

And this is coming from a fan of amelie Mauresmo and somebody who's defnitely very neutral to Tauzita.

King Lindsay
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Oh, one thig I forgot to add to that post. I think Amelie, Julie and Sandrine would've backed down if the FFT stuck to their guns.

Zummi
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Inge de Bruijn
Zummi Nathalie Tauziat didn't write that it was Julie. So um, isn't it Ms. Halard-Decugis' fault for throwing a hissy fit and making it look obvious that she was mad at Ms. Tauziat? Because after that, there was no doubt that it was her but people wouldn't really have known if she hadn't shown that she was upset.

I should have mentioned that my second paragraph had nothing to do with the first. My bad. No, I wasn't implying that writing what she did was reason to keep her off the team. Rather I was just noting some Tauziat bitchiness to add to the many other examples - keeping with the title of this thread.

selesadmirer
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:32 AM
The thing i didn't like about tauziat is that she liked talking badly about other players.

Halardfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:50 AM
I LOVE this suggestion that becuase Tauziat sometimes didn't use some of the names in her book, that this meant no one could possibly know who she meant! :D

She would give enough details to narrow it down to only possibly being one or two players, but would phrase it in Nostradamous speak like...

"There once was a married player who...."

or

"This player I know very well whose husband is her coach..."

Things of that type.

The notion that she doesn't name people because of any virtue on her part is laughable! Its becuase if she did name them, she might well get herself sued! Its just more gutlessness on her part!

The though that Julie is somewhow boring is just as laughable...this a girl whose partnership with Ai Sugiyama was described by BBC Commentators at Wimbledon... as "a real breath of fresh air" that Julie was the "star of the show" always full of fun with her partner, always smiling, a delight...commentators also note what an unusual, eccentric character Halard is...often shy in public, full of fun and giggles among friends...a real character, someone who commentators say "wears her heart on her sleeve" on court, is very emotional, and expressive, she loves to paint and draw...to climb mountains, to ski...to pracitce her tennis to loud thumping classic music, Beethoven...person after person comments on her niceness, her kindness, her decency...she is eccentric, refreshingly different, wonderful.

The fact you find her boring shows had poor your taste is.

Zummi
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:35 PM
And just to correct whoever it was who said Tauziat was the #1 French player at the time of the controversy. No, she wasn't. The actual #1 French player - Mary Pierce - was also not allowed to participate in the Olympics b/c of the arcane ITF rules.

gweeny
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ASV

GET OVER IT. I hope the poster is a 10-14 year old person and not a 30 year old. This looks very immature. Don't know if you are giving the whole story (for all I know you were taunting her earlier and that's why she did no grant you the autograph;) ). I don't see why you have to live your whole life hurting and dying inside because Venus did not give you an autograph. Geez, if it was me I would be mad for a while, but I will not have a vendetta against her for my whole life.

Bright Red
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:26 PM
There's no way I'm going to read through this entire thread, but I'll add my two cents all the same;

And the award goes to...

(drum roll, please ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)

TAUZIAT!

starr
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Jennifer and Serena on the court.

Venus off the court.

Messenger
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:44 AM
I LOVE this suggestion that becuase Tauziat sometimes didn't use some of the names in her book, that this meant no one could possibly know who she meant! :D

She would give enough details to narrow it down to only possibly being one or two players, but would phrase it in Nostradamous speak like...

"There once was a married player who...."

or

"This player I know very well whose husband is her coach..."

Things of that type.

The notion that she doesn't name people because of any virtue on her part is laughable! Its becuase if she did name them, she might well get herself sued! Its just more gutlessness on her part!

The though that Julie is somewhow boring is just as laughable...this a girl whose partnership with Ai Sugiyama was described by BBC Commentators at Wimbledon... as "a real breath of fresh air" that Julie was the "star of the show" always full of fun with her partner, always smiling, a delight...commentators also note what an unusual, eccentric character Halard is...often shy in public, full of fun and giggles among friends...a real character, someone who commentators say "wears her heart on her sleeve" on court, is very emotional, and expressive, she loves to paint and draw...to climb mountains, to ski...to pracitce her tennis to loud thumping classic music, Beethoven...person after person comments on her niceness, her kindness, her decency...she is eccentric, refreshingly different, wonderful.

The fact you find her boring shows had poor your taste is.

The point is no one knows any of these positive things about her. I certainly didn't. She's boring. You ask the majority of tennis fans what they know about Julie. They wouldn't know that she is eccentric or listens to classical music while practicing. You do, but not the general public. You only know that because you're an obsessed fanatical Julie fan (compliment intended).

Who knows? I think you should be fair on Nathalie and admitt that there are a lot of positive things about her off the court that we don't know at all.

Halardfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Julie is one of the most exciting players to watch I have ever seen, full of ups and downs the sublime and the ridiculous...never a steady player, always unpredictable...full of emotion, turmoil...somethimes on the big ocassion she would freeze...too many people have seen her play once or twice, and have judged her from such displays...yet other like her faboulous Chase match v Sanchez, she touched such amzing heights...or her Paris Open win against Majoli, or her AMZING double run with Sugiyama to become the number one ranked team in the world!

Meesenger, we will never ever agree, so at least for now, lets BOTH drop it...its doing no one any good now, and is just plain depressing.

Caz
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:38 AM
One more thing, I forget to say about Nathalie, (seeing as how this thread has pretty much turned into an arguement about her! ;) ) One year at Eastbourne, I believe it was 2000, she was playing either a doubles QF or a SF, (can't remember which), with Ai Sugiyama against Katarina Srebotnik and, I think, Alicia Molik when Katarina fell and badly hurt her ankle. The trainer was called and while Ai and Alicia waited around for the trainer to come, Nathalie ran straight to the water cooler grabbed a bag of ice and a towel, went back to Katarina and put the ice on her ankle and made sure it was kept elevated until the trainer came on court to take over.

King Lindsay
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:14 PM
zummi, like I was saying, Tauzita was the #1 player in France. ;)