View Full Version : Oscar - Best Supporting Actress

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Who will win?

wongqks
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:28 PM
umm it all depends how best actress end up to

if Nicole win then Juliann Moore should get this, if not then it will be Streep

but if Juliann win, it will be catherine or Meryl, but I have a feeling that queen Latifa may neutralise some vote from catherine, I hope not anyway

Beat
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:36 PM
i won't vote for who i think will win, but for who i think SHOULD win: kathy bates

schris
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Meryl Streep - Adaptation

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Mary Louise gets my vote!!

matthias
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Go Kathy Bates

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM
I voted for Catherine Zeta Jones simply because she is sexiest.

Did you know that this is Meryl Streeps 13th nomination as an actress, thus making her the most nominated actress in history, 1 ahead of Katherine Hepburn.

shirley
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Go Meryl Streep! I thought she'd be in the Best Actress category.

I know who I don't want to win: Catherine Zeta Jones :mad: She annoys me

Hurley
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Tough tough TOUGH call. Good field.

Streep makes the most sense...yes, the more I think about it...yeah, she'll win.

Princess Fiona
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Good luck CZJ!! Do it for Wales!! http://perso.club-internet.fr/ttle/tennis/gb-cymwink.gif ;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I'm rooting for the QUEEN to win :)

But I think Moore will win

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Meryl Streep :worship:

Helen Lawson
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:58 PM
I cannot believe I am not there for "Darkness Falls" where I did a wonderful turn as the "Tooth Fairy." The Academy cannot see real talent, obviously. I could have done any of these roles.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:00 PM
With this nomination Meryl Streep hits overall 13 nominations, one more than previous record holder Katherine Hepburn with 12.

Meryl Streep! :worship:

Helen! :D

G-Ha
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Hopefully anyone BUT Meryl Streep. All that woman has to do is fart in a film and she gets nominated!

Maxine
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by G-Ha
Hopefully anyone BUT Meryl Streep. All that woman has to do is fart in a film and she gets nominated!

LOL but true:rolleyes:

Queen or Catherine!;)

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Obviously that's not true, since she didn't get an Actress nod for "The Hours," when she used to be able to pull those out of her ass. "Music of the Heart," anyone?

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:30 AM

LOL, oh please! :rolleyes:

Light-skinned Girl
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:30 AM
I voted for *Catherine Zeta-Jones* and I think her chances are *good*. :)

Julianne Moore I considered the *co-lead* so I'm really *surprised* to see her here.

G-Ha Meryl Streep is the *consummate* American actress, Very *few* actresses can even come close to her range like Evert, Navratilova, Graf and Seles in tennis.

I liked Kathy Bates in About Schmidt but her performance *wasn't* special.

I think Queen Latifah got nominated *solely* because she's *black*. Her performance in Chicago was *fine* but *not* dynamic. In fact now that I think of it Kathy Bates would've made a *much* better matron.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:46 AM
LSG, I don't know what type of issues you have with black folks, but you need a reality check. Queen Latifah got nominated because she did a great job in Chicago. Not because she was black. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for implying that. :rolleyes: :mad:

Woooo, with that said I think Meryl Streep will win it. The Oscars is a popularity contest and I think she has the most clout. Or it could go to Kathy Bates. I thought Misery was her best role to date. I say the queen is in third. BTW, who won the SAG award for this?

I'm rooting for Queen Latifah. It would be amazing if a rapper won an Oscar.

But if she doesn't win, I will take Meryl Streep.

rightous
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I think if Moore wins The best Actress, Streep will win this, if Nicole wins Best Actress then Moore for Best Supporting Actress.

adss
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:52 AM
I think kathy bates or catherine zeta jones will win, but i would love for julianne moore to win

G-Ha
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:53 AM
I never said she isn't a great actor...in fact, I think she's tremendous. I just don't think she's deserving of a nomination for just about every other film she makes. "Music of the Heart" and "Postcards from the Edge" are two examples of decent performances that I don't believe are Oscar-worthy. It seems as if the Academy sometimes uses her as their back-up girl in years where there aren't really strong, standout performances.

But I don't lend much credence to the Academy in general because these are the same people that in recent years thought "Forrest Gump" and "Titantic" were the best pictures of the year and gave an Oscar to Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem for a Dream" and gave an Oscar to Marisa Tomei (just to name a few examples).

Maxine
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Light-skinned Girl
I think Queen Latifah got nominated *solely* because she's *black*. Her performance in Chicago was *fine* but *not* dynamic. In fact now that I think of it Kathy Bates would've made a *much* better matron.

I disagree. Queen Latifah was really good IMO. If you go by that logic then, did Halle and Denzel win last year just because they were black?

adss
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:21 AM
But I don't lend much credence to the Academy in general because these are the same people that in recent years thought "Forrest Gump" and "Titantic" were the best pictures of the year and gave an Oscar to Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem for a Dream" and gave an Oscar to Marisa Tomei (just to name a few examples).

Ellen Burstyn was robbed of an oscar :(
Forrest Gump over Shawshank Redemption :confused:
Gladiator over Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon, and Traffic :confused: :confused:
Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan :confused: :confused: :(
How Green was my Valley over Citizan Kane :eek: :confused:
Rocky over Taxi Driver :fiery:
Dances with Wolves over The Godfather Part 3, and Goodfellas
worse winner: Titanic over As Good As It Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential :confused::fiery: :confused: :(

The oscar's make some crappy choices

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Shakespeare in Love WAS better than Savind Private Ryan (was it even in the same year?).

I mean really, Shakespeare in Love was a masterpiece and wonderfully told and required a lot of imagination.

Saving Private Ryan was a farce, simple story and just a lot of realistic war scenes, that's all.

But I agree about Titanic, that was a farce too.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Well, the local paper said "Monica Seles, for making Anna look like the better player during that thing in December".

Light-skinned Girl
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:55 AM
G-Ha ok *now* I agree with you about Meryl Streep! I'm *not* at all familiar with Postcards From The Edge but I do agree about Music From The Heart and
One True Thing as well. She is the Academy's version of a *pinch-hitter*.

Harloo I'm sorry you're *offended* but I was just being *truthful*. After Halle and Denzel won last year the Academy *may* feel some "pressure" to nominate blacks to show that it *wasn't* a fluke that they won the top acting honors last year. I really didn't care for Queen Latifah's performance *BUT* at the same time I didn't think it was dreadful. It was just *not* an Oscar-claiber performance in *MY* opinion *and* she got her nomination because the Academy *didn't* want to feel any guilt for not nominating blacks. Also Harloo I *don't* feel that just because I'm black and an actor is black that I *have to* support them.

Maxine I *didn't* see Denzel's performance *but* xenophobia *prevented* Russell Crowe from winning his second consecutive Oscar. They could give Tom Hanks back-to-back Oscars but *NOT* a foreigner.

Buitenzorg
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Wow...:eek:

Julianne Moore has 2 nomination for The Best Actress & Best Supporting Actress :D

It would be great if she WIN both of them :D

But I would like :

* NICOLE KIDMAN (to WIN The BEST Actress) :D

* JULIANNE MOORE (to WIN The Best Supporting Actress) :D

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Light-skinned Girl

Harloo I'm sorry you're *offended* but I was just being *truthful*. After Halle and Denzel won last year the Academy *may* feel some "pressure" to nominate blacks to show that it *wasn't* a fluke that they won the top acting honors last year. I really didn't care for Queen Latifah's performance *BUT* at the same time I didn't think it was dreadful. It was just *not* an Oscar-claiber performance in *MY* opinion *and* she got her nomination because the Academy *didn't* want to feel any guilt for not nominating blacks. Also Harloo I *don't* feel that just because I'm black and an actor is black that I *have to* support them.

Maxine I *didn't* see Denzel's performance *but* xenophobia *prevented* Russell Crowe from winning his second consecutive Oscar. They could give Tom Hanks back-to-back Oscars but *NOT* a foreigner.

Well, your truth is seriously flawed. You seem to have some type of resentment towards black people. Queen Latifah got nominated because she was in Chicago, one of the biggest hyped up movie this year. She earned her nomination just like EVERYONE ELSE, and not because she was BLACK. If you believe that then whatever.

You make no sense at all. You must not know too much about the academy, because you will find that alot of people who are NON-BLACK have been winning and their performances ain't all that. So DON'T use RACE as some type of reason to prove your flawed logic. RACE has nothing to do with it, and since you seem to say you are COLORBLIND when it comes to SUPPORT, you should open your eyes to the truth.

adss
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:33 AM
I think Queen Latifah got a nomination because of the momemtum Chicago brought, like last year when Ethan Hawke was nominated.

Denzel Washington's win last year i felt was well-deserved
but, I didn't agree with Halle Berry's win

LucasArg
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Meryl Streep is going to win it and I am happy for her, but I also would like to see Julianne Moore winning, she is one of my favorites:)

Maybe Best Actress for Far from heaven:angel:

Helen Lawson
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Marisa Tomei's performance was inspired, brilliant. I voted for her and almost everyone else I know did. I can tell you from personal experience, Halle Berry did garner some votes last year because a Black woman, if you can really call her Black in the traditional sense, had never won but it was no pity award it was an Oscar worthy performance, though I myself did not vote for her. Queen Latifah got sucked into the Chicago sweep of nominations. I am just sad I could not have been in the movie, myself. She easily deserved the nomination. She will not win, but she deserves to be there. It was not a race thing. John C. Reilly was not in the movie as much as Latifah and not nearly as good, and he got a nomination. It was a big movie everyone liked. I am voting for it for Best Picture. This means it will lose. Rarely do my Best Picture votes end up accurate.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Actually, I agree that Marisa Tomei's performance was great! "My Cousin Vinny" was not really an Oscar quality picture except for Marisa's performance. I think that generally Marisa Tomei is generally one of the most underated actors in films!

G-Ha
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Here's who Marisa beat:

Joan Plowright
Judy Davis
Miranda Richardson
Vanessa Redgrave

Sorry, but Marisa's not in their league...

Helen Lawson
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM
She might not be in their league for heavy dramas but they are not in her league for comedies either. Acting includes both. None of those women at any age could have done that role in "My Cousin Vinny" as well as Tomei. Some of them it would have been laughable. Tomei is no slouch in the drama department either.

G-Ha
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Well, perhaps I need to see "My Cousin Vinny" again, but I just remember it being a piece of fluff. Granted, Marisa made the most out of that role, but I didn't think it was anything spectacular. I agree that the others couldn't have done that role as well as Marisa, but I just don't think it was that great of a role in the first place.

I'm not sure about the other actresses listed, but Miranda Richardson has done some comedy in Britain, and she was actually quite good.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM
"My Cousin Vinny" as a whole was a piece of Fluff! Marisa' performance was the saving grace. And, certainly, Marisa is not into the period dram's et all that the rest have claimed fame to, but I rather doubt that she has been offered the first class material that the others have gotten either.

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM
What a disgusting turd that 'light skinned" chick is...:rolleyes:

thegoose
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:15 PM
I hope Meryl or Catherine wins!

Light-skinned Girl
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Helen don't give Marisa Tomei *too* much credit because like a lot of other actors she has *very*
familiar *tics*, *expressions* she uses in practically *every* role. Marisa plays *working class* really well but she doesn't have that much range.

Originally posted by TopShotta
What a disgusting turd that 'light skinned" chick is...:rolleyes:

Topshotta you just *don't* have it in you to be articulate. :sad: Your parents worked so hard to give you a *suburban* life but *evidentally* you pretfer a *ghetto* mentality. :sad:

Zummi
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Marisa Tomei winning was not nearly as bad as *Helen Hunt* winning for "As Good as it Gets". Nothing could ever be worse than that travesty. Though curiously, in both cases, the lone American actress won over 4 foreign ones.

Meryl Streep should win this category, but I think her recent comments about the nominations process & all the campaigning etc. might hurt her chances. :(

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Meryl Streep...if she stops wearing those granny outfits to the award shows:);)

Harju.
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
It would be cool if Latifah win this.. but i guess Moore will win this one

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Congrats to Queen Latifah for the nomination but...

Queen Latifah CAN'T win this.

Why?

Catherine Zeta-Jones is also nominated. If anyone who saw "Chicago" and can objectively say Queen Latifah did a better job than Catherine, you're crazy! :o

Now I'm not saying Catherine will win, just that Queen can't win over Catherine cause NOBODY will agree with this :o

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Never Sayu Never Sam!;)

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Light Skinned Girl, do you know the correct punctuational use of the asterisk?