PDA

View Full Version : Oscar - Best Actress

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Who will win?

wongqks
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM
for now Nicole Kidman, but Juliann has a big chance as well. Also if Chicago really shine in oscar, expect Renee to pull an upset of the oscar

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Toughest category of them all, IMO. Edge to Nic, tho;.

Beat
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM
i won't vote for who i think will win, but for who i think SHOULD win: julianne moore

anabel
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Nicole

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:35 PM
nicole :hearts:

TS
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Most Likely - Kidman

Wildcard Pick - Zellweger

Most Deserved (past noms, pedigree etc)- Moore

Thanks For Coming - Lane, Hayek

Anyway...Id love to see Diane Lane get up, but the smart money is on Nicole Kidman.

Mattographer
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Our Nic (for Aussie people) ;)

nasty nick#2
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Nicole!

bluepastures
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:59 PM
The newspapers are predicting "The Hours" to win loads of oscars, even though hardly anyone watched the film at the cinema, so Kidman will probably win it. However I voted for Renee as I think she deserves to win it.

Who is Diane Lane?

schris
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Renee Zellweger - Chicago !!! :)

King Aaron
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Nic :hearts: She deserves to win because of her performance and because of last year

matthias
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Go Salma Hayek!!!

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Diane Lane! Who, along with Nicole Kidman was a Golden Globe winner in this category (Kidman-Leading actress in a musical; Lane, leading actess in a drama) But I do think that Salma Hyak is most deserving.

raquel
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Renee!!:)

Luna_Angel_84
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Nicole, not that I have seen the movie cos it isn't out here yet, but anything I've seen of hers is pretty stunning and she seems to be the real fave for this year's! :hearts:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: @Claire!

Luna_Angel_84
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Was it THAT obvious that I only voted cos I think she's hot? :eek:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Yes, but, then, we expect that from an over-the-top,
out of control nymphomaniac like yourself!:rolleyes: :p ;)

Mazza
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Nicole! :D

Luna_Angel_84
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Why is it everyone thinks of sex when they think of me? :o

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:18 PM
:rolleyes: I have no idea Claire!:rolleyes:

shirley
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Nicole

Hurley
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Nicole won the Globe for Drama, beating Diane Lane. Renee Zellweger won the Globe for Musical/Comedy. Nicole won that globe last year for "Moulin Rouge."

It's a lot closer than people think...Julianne has TWO nominations. That's happened six times before. Four of those times, the double nominee walks away with something.

She WILL NOT win the Supporting Oscar...

But I still think Nicole will win. By a hair.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Hurley
Nicole won the Globe for Drama, beating Diane Lane. Renee Zellweger won the Globe for Musical/Comedy. Nicole won that globe last year for "Moulin Rouge."

It's a lot closer than people think...Julianne has TWO nominations. That's happened six times before. Four of those times, the double nominee walks away with something.

She WILL NOT win the Supporting Oscar...

But I still think Nicole will win. By a hair.

I don't Think That's Entirely Correct

Hurley
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:23 PM
The Globes part is entirely correct. The rest is speculation.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Well, I did check the Golden Globes site and you are correct, though I have no idea why I thought Diane won! Wishful thinking perhaps.

Hurley
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Maybe one night in a dream, you gave her your own special statuette ;)

Barrie_Dude
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Maybe one night in a dream, you gave her your own special statuette ;)

:drool: :lick: :drool: :lick: Yes, That Was It! :drool: :kiss: :drool: :lick:

adss
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:52 PM
I hope Julianne Moore :worship: but I would love for Nicole Kidman or Renee Zellweger to win, why can't all three win?

Cersei
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:53 PM
i loved Salma in Frida, but then again that's the only movie i saw of that list.i'll see the hours soon, but for now.i hope salma will win ;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:20 PM
NICOLE!! if for no other reason, then the simple fact that she was ROBBED last year.

But I have a feeling Renee will win

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:29 PM
The reason Diane Lane seems like she won something is because she has won several of the critics awards like the New York film something or other and the LA film critics awards which are somewhat indicator of whats to come nomination time. Diane was WONDERFUL in Unfaithful...the scene on the subway alone was worth an award...she was great

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I hope Renee wins for now because she was stunning in Chicago :)

But I haven't seen The Hours or Far from Heaven, so maybe I'll change my mind ;)

Feb 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by schris
Renee Zellweger - Chicago !!! :)

If she wins it over Nicole I will be so pissed off! Has anyone else noticed how bad the movie of Chicago is by comparison to on the stage?!

wongqks
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:52 PM
well I saw the musical and the movie, I honestly feel that the movie is so much better than the musical, so I guess we are different on that ;)

Bероника
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:34 PM
I'd love Salma to win it

Alberto
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Diane Lane or Salma Hayek :hearts:

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I also thought the movie Chicago was better than the movie

Salma was good in Frida...excellent perhaps...but i just loved Diane Lane in unfaithful

Mr. Man
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:10 PM
This is strange. I've haven't seen any of those movies. Where Have I been! :p

..But I voted for Renee Zellweger. B/c I like her.

rightous
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Julianne Moore, she was immense not only in Far From Heaven, but she was IMHO the best performance in 'The Hours' as well. She should at least win one of the two.

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:25 PM
I agree, when i went to see The hours, all the talk was about Nicole and Streep and i was just blown away by Julianne! she was so great but what i think it was was that her role was so subtle and quiet, where Streeps and Nicoles were more showy and sometimes people gravitate towards the over the top performances and miss the quiet ones. julianne was just remarkable...that said, i voted for DIANE LANE! WHY ARENT HERE NUMBERS GOING UP? LOL...she was amazing! plus that guy she cheated with was hot too...oh well, maybe i just related to her performance...

Hurley
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Diane Lane is an excellent actress, but I doubt anyone would want to give a huge award to a film like that. Getting the nomination for a summer melodrama is tough enough. She'll have to settle for that.

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:33 PM
I'm just saying i voted for her...i never said i thought she'd win....i just got a kick out of her role thats all...i really dont take these things seriously as they are a bit silly if you think about it....i just thought she rocked.

Light-skinned Girl
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Diane Lane is an excellent actress, but I doubt anyone would want to give a huge award to a film like that. Getting the nomination for a summer melodrama is tough enough. She'll have to settle for that.

I *agree* that Diane's talented but Unfaithful was *subpar* and Adrian Lyne is a *vapid* director.

*Julianne Moore* gets my vote and I think she'll win. The Hours still *isn't* the right vehicle for Nicole to get her first. When she makes her own "Erin Brockovich"-type movie she'll get the gold.

rightous
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Darren I think you voted for Lane, b/c she got the guy naked;)

darren cahill
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:58 PM
ROTFLLLLLLLLLLLLL, ok well sort of! LOL

he was HOT wasnt he? i just thought she was very good...but boy, i sure bought into their sex scenes, and most of all that one in the hallway...whew buddy....take me in the backdoor too!

Tapatio
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Salma Hayek :hearts:

rightous
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:15 AM
lol @ Darren, gee its all about the art with you huh???? I haven't seen it but hey I might now;)

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:26 AM
you aint lying! when he bent her over the stairwell railing and pulled her pants down, it was just so awesome, i really felt her joy!

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Talking about Nicole Kidman, imagine how pissed she'd be if she didn't get it this year. I mean with her not getting recognition for "To Die for" and "Moulin Rouge". Although she rightfully didn't deserve it in those two.

I have a feeling she won't get it again, the Oscars rarely goes to those who took "real" roles. Like roles of people that actually existed like Elizabeth I and Virginia Woolfe. Anyone else think the same?

darren cahill
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 AM
she was nominated for Moulin Rouge though...

Scotso
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Nicole Kidman :hearts:

Buitenzorg
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Toss a coin between Julianne Moore & Nicole Kidman :D

Buitenzorg
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Maybe this year is Nicole Kidman turn to win the Oscar after she's been nominated last year :D

Go NICOLE :D

LucasArg
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:03 AM
It's kinda ovbious Nicole Kidman is going to win it. But I hope Julianne Moore makes the big surprise.

She has been nominated a lot of times but never won, she really deserves one;)

adss
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:40 AM
up until the golden globes, julianne moore was a lock to win best actress since far from heaven came out, so now i feel it could go anyway

spiceboy
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Sam L
Talking about Nicole Kidman, imagine how pissed she'd be if she didn't get it this year. I mean with her not getting recognition for "To Die for" and "Moulin Rouge". Although she rightfully didn't deserve it in those two.

No, she deserved it of "The others" ;)

I'd love either Nicole or Julianne to win this. I loved Renee in "Bridget Jones" but I can't stand her anorexic looks now... am I the only one thinking like that? :confused:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM
This is the one category where a dark horse has a great chance! I figure that Nicole, Renee and Julianne may cancel each other out in various ways, thus opening the door for Diane!

Just Wish I was the one to have her bent over the stairwell, giving her a "Statuette"! :drool:

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I did not feel that Nicole Kidman was robbed at all last year. Her performance in The Hours, I feel, IS what going to top it all off in her career. She's been the "sexy bombshell from down under" for so many years now that it is nice to see her get recognition for her job. In the Hours, I sensed that most of the divorce/stress/sadness she had with last year's divorce showed in her performance. Even she herself said that this one role as Virgina was special to her because she connected with her in an unusual way because of the circumstances she was in while filming.

HOWEVER what she did for the Virginia Woolf role such as spending a lone in a cottage for 2 months, or reading her brains out about the character sounds very similar to Russell Crowe and A Beautiful Mind. Russell won almost EVERYTHING leading up to last year's oscars, BUT the Academy wasn't impressed with John Nash. I fear that if there is anything that will hinder Nicole's path, it will be this in the end:( Hope that doesn't happen.

However, there is still the BAFTAS and the SAG that will weight heavily in the media and the academy's minds a month and half from now. Remember Halle Berry winning the SAG and ended up winning the Oscars. Also, there is also a strong sense that who ever wins the SAG or the Golden Globes has the best chance to win the Oscar. Right now, that woman is Nicole Kidman.

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy
I loved Renee in "Bridget Jones" but I can't stand her anorexic looks now... am I the only one thinking like that? :confused:

No, I love the way Renee looks now, she was hot in Chicago! :hearts:

Hingiswinsthis, has Virginia Wolfe done something bad that the Academy might be angry with? ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:11 AM
lol Sam L, nope;) what i was trying to say is that Russell Crowe spent A LOT of time researching and really getting in the mode of John Nash, just like Nicole Kidman with Virginia and in the end they walk away with nothing, but the only the media hype leading into the Oscars. It's great to see great actors who work hard get rewarded in the end.:)

It's Nicole's time:)

Nicole vs. Renee 2nd year in a row:)

wouldn't surprise me also if Julianne Moore pulls an upset.

Harju.
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Renee should win this award :bounce:
but i would be happy if any of them wins, cause i lurrvee them all

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by b3acH 6uy
Renee should win this award :bounce:
but i would be happy if any of them wins, cause i lurrvee them all

Did Nicole get a nod for Moulin Rouge?

adss
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Did Nicole get a nod for Moulin Rouge?

yup

fleemke³
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:28 PM
I didn't see The Hours yet but Nicole diserved the Oscar last year already so I hope she'll get him FINALLY this year :D

gorecki
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:27 AM
hasn't anyone ever won Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress in the same year?

Sam L
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by gorecki
hasn't anyone ever won Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress in the same year?

No, Never!

In fact, there's speculation now that Julianne Moore won't even come home with one.

The Best Actress category is hotly contested between Zellweger and Kidman.

The Supporting Actress category is hotly contested between Zeta-Jones and Streep.

I'm expecting the Oscars to come from there. In fact, I've also read that Chicago is tipped to really clean sweep in those categories, as it was a huge surprise John C.Reilly was even nominated (and it was, I don't think he deserves it).

gorecki
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks SamL

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM
:eek: Pleeesssseeeee! Not Nicole or Renee!:eek:

apoet29
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Salma Hayek is this year's dark horse. She was nominated probably because of what she did to get this film made rather than her performance. I saw the film. She was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Diane Lane won a slew of film critics awards even beating out Julianne Moore for the New York Film Critics award, but her role as an adulterous wife; however outstanding she was in it, is not the type of role that Oscar tends to honor. Although I have to note that Jane Fonda won an Oscar for playing a prostitute in Klute, so anything is possible.

Juliann Moore was reportedly brilliant in Far from Heaven; however, she suffers from dual nomination syndrome, meaning that most likely her nominations will cancel each other out. That happened to Sigourney Weaver in 1988. If Moore does win at all, it will be in the best supporting actress category and that will most likely be a "I'm sorry but we just can't give you the big award"

The race really comes down to Zellweger and Kidman and I truly think this is Kidman's year to shine. I saw Chicago and while I enjoyed the film, there were times where Zellweger's performance was a little too over the top. Honestly, I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones really outshone Zellweger in that film.

Nicole Kidman will win the Oscar, even if it is by a nose. Her performance as Virginia Woolf is an utterly amazing transformation and it is the type of performance that Oscar loves to reward. There are many people who swear that Kidman was robbed last year, but to be honest, her performance in the Others was much better than Moulin Rouge.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:57 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: Nooooooo Not Nicole Again! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Zummi
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Ok, for those who watched "The Hours": what made Kidman's performance a "leading" one and what made Moore's "supporting"? They both seemed to have equal amounts of screen time.

darren cahill
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:50 AM
I think when something like that happens, its the studio who 'suggests' by way of the trade magazines and such, to put this person in that category...maybe Julianne herself asked to be thought of in that category too since you can only be nominated in a category once...so my bet is the studio for the hours figured she could be in the supporting role and since she is the star of far from heaven, she had to be in the leading category for that one...other than that...you are right, she is as much a leading role as the other 2 women, i think it was purely for strategy since she had a great chance to score 2 nominations and it was better to but them in seperate categories

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:22 AM
I was wondering that too Zummi.

And yeah Nicole Kidman getting a nomination for Moulin Rouge was a farce, she deserved it more for The others but I wouldn't say she was robbed. If anyone was 'robbed' last year it was Sissy Spacek.

Hardiansf
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I love Renee so much, so I pick to her!

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Nicole all the way:D Baftas coming up next week.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by darren cahill
I think when something like that happens, its the studio who 'suggests' by way of the trade magazines and such, to put this person in that category...maybe Julianne herself asked to be thought of in that category too since you can only be nominated in a category once...so my bet is the studio for the hours figured she could be in the supporting role and since she is the star of far from heaven, she had to be in the leading category for that one...other than that...you are right, she is as much a leading role as the other 2 women, i think it was purely for strategy since she had a great chance to score 2 nominations and it was better to but them in seperate categories

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can it be possible that there can only be one "Lead Actor/Actress" in a movie? I don't think I have ever seen two Lead Actors or two Lead Actresses been nominated for a single film.

So as Nicole was the lead actress, Julianne and Meryl had to be supports? :confused:

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 16th, 2003, 06:50 AM
I also read the book The Hours by Michael Cunningham. Clarissa(Meryl Streep) and Laura Brown(Julian) definitely had more pages as well as as scenes in the movie. I'm still confused as to why Moore is in the supporting category. Ironically, when the movie came out in December, it was Nicole that was being talked about of being a support. Interesting.

[S@nti]
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Good Luck Salma :)

darren cahill
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:59 AM
no Sam L, there can be as many leads in a movie as possible..one year both Shirley Maclaine and Debra winger were up for lead actress (terms of endearment)....its just depends on what the studio/actress submits themselves come nomination time....like with the Emmy awards, you cant be nominated unless you submit your name for the ballots and you pick which category you feel you belong in...like with the FRIENDS cast. years ago they submitted themselves all for supporting, then just this past year, submitted themselves for lead categories. Julianne probably just assumed (and rightly so) that she was going to be nominated twice so she put one of her choices into the supporting role. it had nothing to do with screen time or anything. you just cant have two nominations in the same category....

also Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis were both up for Thelma and Louise...it all has to do with what category is submitted for you and that is the actors choice along with the studio....i know this for sure cause it was in our papers when it was talked about concerning Moore...they said she had to consider far from heaven her lead role as it was HER movie....in the hours, it was easier to submit that one as a supporting.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Thank you Mr. Cahill ;) now I understand.

CappyMania
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Jack Nicholson

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by CappyMania
Jack Nicholson

Are you trying to be funny or is that a genuine mistake? :eek:

darren cahill
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Sam L, i just read in entertainment weekly a story about the oscar nominating process and i was right in what i posted to you...the category you end up in, is your choice...in the story i read, they were saying that Richard Gere would have had a better chance being nominated had he submitted his name in the supporting role (which was a bit weaker) but since he submitted it as a lead role, he got squeezed out.

They also mentioned how the Golden globe categories are chosen differently though and thats by the foriegn press themselves and they put Zeta-Jones as a lead role but maybe thats because they have 2 seperate categories for comedy-musical/drama....they have room to spare...but come Oscar time, Mirmax (Chicagos studio) and Zeta-Jones herself submitted her name into the supporting role where she has a better chance

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah great move by Catherine, and bad move by Richard :eek:

Thanks, it is interesting I guess how awards could be won or lost by these categories.

BigB08822
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:45 AM
I will admit I haven't seen any of the movies except for "Chicago" which I saw last night. I absolutely loved it and thought Zelwegger did an incredible job. I don't agree with whomever said she was "over the top." I think she acted this role perfectly, it should look a little over the top!

I am giving my vote to Zelwegger but I have no problem if someone like Kidman or Moore wins because I haven't seen their movies yet and I know both are full of potential to win this award. I'm not a big fan of Kidman, but I can not deny her acting abilities.

Sam L
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:50 AM
That's cause "Roxie Hart" is meant to be over the top.

"My scummy, crummy, dummy, hubby of mine!!!!!" :D

I'm watching "The Hours" next weekend :D

Barrie_Dude
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Ahhhhhh, Mirmx and the Wienstein's! Shameless self promoters at Oscar time!:rolleyes: