PDA

View Full Version : Will Jen Regroup now?

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:09 AM
I think last year [re after Roland Garros], Jen went away mentally. I think she believed she would repeat the French the same way she did the Aussie. After that loss, I think the pressure of being *the* player to beat the Williams got to her.

Now that's she's lost 6 of her last 9 matches, and has no Slam in the last 52 weeks, will she regroup?

I think we can see a new Jennifer. Remember early 2001? She was the HUNTER not the HUNTED. I think it made a huge difference in her game.

Thoughts?

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Hopefully yes. I wonder how her eye surgery recovery is going. As someone who's had major problems with their eyes too, I can totally relate and hope she comes back strong. With a better serve too! :o

DEETHELICK
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:50 PM
I think we all read too much into Jennifer's loss. I'm a big Jenny fan, and I believe it was the lack of match practice that caused her loss.

She was playing awesome for a set and a half at the Aussie and then lost the plot.

Yeah I think her eyes were a problem, but NOT the main cause for her loss, she just seemed mentally and physically not there.

If anything, I think she was playing great aggressive tennis against Weingartner. And the way she was smacking those forehands....whoa!!!

Venus also lost in the 1st rd RG 01, and look how well she rebounded. One 1st round loss isn't something to write an obituary about!

She will regroup.

RAA
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:09 PM
when is her next tourney?

Infiniti2001
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Dubai

S-T-E-V-E
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by RAA
when is her next tourney?

She will play Dubai next week.

gourownway
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I hope so. I think the drop in ranking will help, it takes the pressure off. I'm sure she is aware of what she has to do to get back up in the rankings, now is the time to make the decision.

It's a long season, you never know what can happen. I think this topic will be answered after IW and Miami.

TSequoia01
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Now that's she's lost 6 of her last 9 matches, and has no Slam in the last 52 weeks, will she regroup?

Uh Jen has no tournament victory of any kind in the last 52 weeks. Jen is playing well but she has never won lots of tournies over her career. :cool:

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:17 PM
I have a hard time picturing her in the Dubai Final, because I don't think she can beat Venus, Monica, or Justine right now, and she will have to beat at least one them just to get there.

Infiniti2001
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:22 PM
As long as her lil eyesies are better, she should regroup :devil:

jenny161185
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I think she can make the finals - a match with Monica would be very close and she beat Justine the last time they played. and Venus, well Venus is another story!

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:44 PM
i want to see her play venus. its a good matchup!!

harloo
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM
My question is this:

Didn't Jen have the eye surgery before the WTA Championships? If so, didn't she make it too the semis and nearly beat Rena?
So I don't understand why the eyes were a problem during the Weirngarter match. I saw the match and I thought that Jen just played really sloppy at the end of the second, and worser in the third set. She started out fine, in control and everything. But I was shocked when she started losing control of the match giving Marlene the win.

Anyways, I feel that first round loses in a slam happen to the top players from time to time. It doesn't mean too much IMO. If a top player loses in the first round they have just had a bad day IMO. Now, how they rebound is a whole other story.

I think Jen will rebound well, and continue to challenge the top players in qtrs and semis. I think with the emergence of different players it's gonna be tough for her to do what she did in 2000. However, I still think it's possible for her to win a slam. It all depends on how the rest of the field pans out though. Who knows? Many never thought that she would ever win a slam, so I say their still is a chance for her.

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:02 PM
i thinkjc waited until after the usopen to have eye surgery. this was the timing i think

Keith
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Not that the eye surgery is the subject in this thread, but Jen had the surgery right *after* the WTA Champs. And yes, she played Collins Cup a few weeks later and won there, but she was unable to practice after the surgery, so two or three weeks after the surgery, physically she was fine enough to play at Collins, but was just unable to train hard due to the surgery. My guess is that not playing much for 3 weeks makes one a bit rusty, if it affected her training for the months AFTER that, then by the time the AUS Open came, Jen hadn't practiced for a month and a half

im not going to sit and make excuses. I dont know the whole story. But I think the eye surgery could be a valid excuse because it affected her training schedule

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:17 PM
why is she having problems? this is not normal i think. mary pierce did not have after affects did she? adn tiger woods ahd this too?

harloo
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Keith
Not that the eye surgery is the subject in this thread, but Jen had the surgery right *after* the WTA Champs. And yes, she played Collins Cup a few weeks later and won there, but she was unable to practice after the surgery, so two or three weeks after the surgery, physically she was fine enough to play at Collins, but was just unable to train hard due to the surgery. My guess is that not playing much for 3 weeks makes one a bit rusty, if it affected her training for the months AFTER that, then by the time the AUS Open came, Jen hadn't practiced for a month and a half

im not going to sit and make excuses. I dont know the whole story. But I think the eye surgery could be a valid excuse because it affected her training schedule

Well, Keith if it was after the WTA champs then I can understand. But I thought it was after the Open. Anyways, I thought that Jen had that match at the AO but I guess anything can happen.

Tratree
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by anton
why is she having problems? this is not normal i think. mary pierce did not have after affects did she? adn tiger woods ahd this too?

It wasn''t laser surgery...her eyes were actually cut on. Much more recovery time than laser. Believe me, I've had two eye surgeries and the last thing you want to do is run around in the sun.

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:27 PM
do why did she not just get the laser?

Keith
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Harloo, not a prob! I didnt think you were a fan, so I wouldnt expect you to know for sure.

I just remember at the WTA champs, Jen was talking to Mary Jo about the surgery and that she was having it next week and they even showed pictures of Jens eyes with the sun spots on them..it looked gross

goshka
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:38 PM
because it was not vision correction, but another surgical procedure to remove white spots in the corners of her eyes. There is no laser procedure for what she had.

Cheers,
Eugene

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM
then i think maybe she should take a break from tennis until the french to allow her eyes rest

Averylove
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM
All this nonsense about Jennifer is that ,To much Mattew Perry
and not enough desire :( Kepp it Real jenny Fans all the excuses in the world can not deny that ! when Jennifer get off her Butt and decide that she wants to win again and make the Sacrafice to getting in shape again and put down the Damn cigareetts maybe she'll win again !;)

in the mean time don't look for Serena to feel sorry for her when they meet again on the court LOL;)

anton
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:51 PM
doesnt matt perry have alcohol problems?

JCAP
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Yeah apparantly so!! But who cares about him,lets just think of Jen!! I went to the Collins cup and believe me Daniella and Jen weren't playin like real tennis just messin about giving the crowd a good laugh!! They had a really light practice session with each other!!

venusfan
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM
JENNIFER IS STILL ON SKY NINE WITH THAT DOG FACE FROM FRIENDS

JCAP
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah he is U.G.L.Y.!!!!!

CJ07
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:36 PM
how can she win at collins and not be able to prepare later?

doesnt make sense to me

SJW
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:40 PM
i hope so

good luck to Jen. IMO shes one of the best figters on tour (Serena, Venus, Monica, Jenn)

Keith
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by mmcdonald
how can she win at collins and not be able to prepare later?

doesnt make sense to me

If you were highly competitive and stopped training for 3 weeks would you be fresher at that point or would you be fresher if you took off a month and a half?

My guess is (and this is just a theory
:rolleyes: ) not being able to train properly will continually affect your condition the longer you are unable to train.

Breaking it down yet again for you, a person that does not practice for 3 weeks is going to most likely be in a better position than the same person that was unable to practice for a month and a half.

now, Jennifer is the SAME person. The surgery Jen had required a long term commitment to stay away from activities that have exposure to the sun.

im not making excuses, but those are the facts. The longer one is inactive, the less proficient they are. Uh, duh!

Keith
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:00 PM
By the way...I am a firm beleiver that if a player is there to play, they need to accept the situation and move on! If Jen felt she was not 100%, then she either should not have come, or she should have known that she probably would not do well..either way, it was her decision to play and she needs to accept the outcome no matter what. The eye surgery is irrelevant. I beleive it was a factor, but its not an excuse. As an adult, I make difficult choices and sometimes sacrifice things, its a part of life. But that doesnt mean that you cannot understand the reason that things do not go your way.

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DEETHELICK
I think we all read too much into Jennifer's loss. I'm a big Jenny fan, and I believe it was the lack of match practice that caused her loss.

She was playing awesome for a set and a half at the Aussie and then lost the plot.

Yeah I think her eyes were a problem, but NOT the main cause for her loss, she just seemed mentally and physically not there.

If anything, I think she was playing great aggressive tennis against Weingartner. And the way she was smacking those forehands....whoa!!!

Venus also lost in the 1st rd RG 01, and look how well she rebounded. One 1st round loss isn't something to write an obituary about!

She will regroup.

But it's more then ONE first round loss. Since the US Open, Jen has a LOSING Record...not the sort of stuff we are used to seeing from the Capster.

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:44 PM
listen people. Jennifer's eyes are fine. She says she can see better now. She also said that for the first 2 or three weeks following the surgery her eyes were too sensitive to light to be able to go outdoors. So she practiced indoors, but not as much as she liked. Never did she say her eyes were bothering her at the Australian open. Never. She said she didn't get as much practice as she would've liked. She DID NOT say she hadn't practiced at all, because obviously she had. Jen lost in australia and sydney because she wasn't as sharp as she could've been and in both cases, she ran into a decent player having a good day. It's that simple. not because "she couldn't see" or because "she didn't practice for months".

Keith
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by King Lindsay
listen people. Jennifer's eyes are fine. She says she can see better now. She also said that for the first 2 or three weeks following the surgery her eyes were too sensitive to light to be able to go outdoors. So she practiced indoors, but not as much as she liked. Never did she say her eyes were bothering her at the Australian open. Never. She said she didn't get as much practice as she would've liked. She DID NOT say she hadn't practiced at all, because obviously she had. Jen lost in australia and sydney because she wasn't as sharp as she could've been and in both cases, she ran into a decent player having a good day. It's that simple. not because "she couldn't see" or because "she didn't practice for months".

Q. When did you have the procedure done? What sort of things lingered afterwards?
JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I had the procedure done a week after I played in LA, and I had pterygiums removed in both eyes and I had stitches in both eyes. For two weeks, I mean, basically I was in the dark because I couldn't be in the sunlight because my eyes were too sensitive.
Then by, you know -- I'm having late practices. By the time I'm already on the practice court, it's like four weeks already, so...
You know, I'm not trying to make excuses, that's for sure. But, no, I have to say it had a lot to do with my preparation for coming here.

Q. So you say your eyes were okay, but it's the time that you couldn't prepare that probably was the difference?
JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, well, I mean, the glare I think probably affects me more than most people. But definitely the preparation.

----------------------------
That was her interview in Oz. She did just say that it affected her preparation for the tournament. She said her eyes were fine. I researched the condition she had and it requires that person to avoid sunlight for several weeks.

goshka
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:54 PM
"Q. When did you have the procedure done? What sort of things lingered afterwards?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah, I had the procedure done a week after I played in LA, and I had pterygiums removed in both eyes and I had stitches in both eyes. For two weeks, I mean, basically I was in the dark because I couldn't be in the sunlight because my eyes were too sensitive.

Then by, you know -- I'm having late practices. By the time I'm already on the practice court, it's like four weeks already, so...
You know, I'm not trying to make excuses, that's for sure. But, no, I have to say it had a lot to do with my preparation for coming here."

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Keith and Goshka, wasn't that what I was saying?

DEETHELICK
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:04 PM
I don't ever expect good things from Jen during the indoor season and fair enough she had a shitty record post US Open, but I'm just looking at her BIG loss at the Open.

I think Jen will be even more fired up now, she hasn't been playing well for a while now, even AO 2002.

Thing is, the reason I believe that Jen will come back stronger is during her 1st round match, she was playing a much more aggressive style and was using her BH to make winners, finishing points at net, etc.

Match play was her downfall, but she had definitely improved her game.

Also, look how tight her match at Colins Cup was 4-6 6-4 6-4. Jen should crush Daniela, but didn't....an obvious difference in performance.

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:07 PM
how do you figure that jen should crush daniela?

DEETHELICK
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Well they played three setters before, but Jen always pulled away in the third set.

I saw the match between them and altho Daniela had some great shots, it really was jen's for the taking, except that she wasn't as sharp.

It was her grit that got her through that extremely tight match.

Jennifer, shot for shot, was totally overpowering Daniela and should have finsihed her in two, but obviously, due to surgery, didn't play to the level in order to do that.

Thats all I meant :)

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:18 PM
daniela should've beaten her in Canada in 2001, jennifer's best year. She was up 7-5 4-1 (two breaks), but choked, likely because it was the first time she'd ever had a top player in that position. and seeing as how all three of their matches (counting the Collins Cup) have gone to three tough sets, I don't see how you can say jennifer should crush her.

jenny161185
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:54 PM
the Collins cup was indoors! Nothing compared to the effect the Australian sun would have on her eyes! she had that match in the bag even after she lost the first set to danni she just seemed to be able to turn it on when she needed. In the last set she was up 4-1 then let it slide again till 4-4 thn i remember she hit about 6 winners in a row it was great i was right beside her. I remember she kept squinting her eyes alot

JCAP
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Yep jenny161185 espically when she was serveing!!

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Jenny1276352959841593919734, Jennifer played Marlene at night at the australian open. No sunlight.

Keith
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by King Lindsay
Keith and Goshka, wasn't that what I was saying?

I was just backing up your post.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Oh, i thought so, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Well, Keith if it was after the WTA champs then I can understand. But I thought it was after the Open. Anyways, I thought that Jen had that match at the AO but I guess anything can happen.

No, actually she had the eye surgery in the second set of the Weingartner match, during a changeover.

mishar
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:05 AM
LOL at dh. Those wta trainers are amazing!!

The thing about Jennifer is, her slump goes back further than the Australian, or the indoor season. She had some bad losses in the hard court season and she choked horribly against Mauresmo. There's other things going on besides the eyes. Maybe she's resolved them in her break.
The hard thing is, she will have tougher draws now that she is out of the top 4. She has a lot of points to defend until the French Open. She could face Venus or Serena in the quarterfinals. She has a bad record against Seles and Davenport. Clijsters is playing better. Mauresmo has her number. It will be tougher for her.

Rolling-Thunder
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Apart from her 3 Slams (which is a wonderful accomplishment) from Jan '01 until Feb '03, Capriati only won 1 tournament. That's right only 1. That is rather shocking considering that during that time she was also ranked #1 for 17 weeks.

While she did get to some finals and semifinals, I think her overall performance is actually rather shocking for such a highly ranked player.

Comparison: Capriati - 3 Slams, 1 lower Tier tournaments
Venus - 2 Slams, 11 lower Tier tournaments, and
4 Slams finals
Serena - 4 Slams, 9 lower Tier tournaments

Capriati has to dump the notion she has held that she will peak for the Slams. The peaking should be a function of a better performance in the pre-Slam tournaments. That's where you build your confidence, take a measure of your game, take a measure of your opponents, try to get the kinks out of what is not working, and if you are triumphant (and depending on who you are) build on the intimidation and domineering factor that can gain you a few games against some players from the start of a match.

DEETHELICK
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Rolling Thunder, you are right!

She has to place importance on all events, using them to build momentum and iron out any kinks in her game!

Jen is a fiery player, so while one week she can be absolutely shitty, she can easily turn it on the week after and win a tournament. EG Rome 01, lost 1st round to Kuti Kis and then won the FO the week after!

Her mentality on court can be suspect at times, as well as that serve.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
No, actually she had the eye surgery in the second set of the Weingartner match, during a changeover.

Oh thanks disposable one for that knowledge! You are so intelligent! LOL. Someone forgot to take the trash out, eh? ROTFLMAO!!

jenny161185
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Kinlindsay I know she played Marlene at night but it must have been hard for training during the day???? that aussie sun is brutal and would be tough to be out in. Im not trying to make excuses for her- she will be back

JCAP
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:32 PM
KingLindsay ever heard of the thing called LIGHTS :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah that gotta hurt :p :eek:

Jennifer Capriati:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Jen needs to take a step back and pull a Serena. Look how serena was in a slump getting beat left and right and trashed by Jen four straight times. It was not pretty. Serena buckled down and took her career more seriously. She always had the game but she lacked the attitude and killer instinct. Serena would choke away leads and implode and just get passed up.

Serena has problems playing jen. She gets nervous and erratic. It comes out mostly in her service game. Example: the french open quarter and semi. In the quarter serena was serving up a storm! She looked invincible on serve. In the semi her serve was horrible! I couldn't understand it because the serve is the one weapon a player has that she controls totally! But when she plays jen her first serve percentage really drops. Now before anyone says thats because of jens return game, no its not. its because of the mental dynamic that plays out when these two fight it out on the court.

I firmly believe that jen dealth serena dome serious blows in the those losses of 2001, especially wimbledon. Serena was a mess. Jen forced serena to get better. She forced serena to take a hard long look and either step up or step aside. Serena stepped up.

Will jen?

blue249
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx
Jen needs to take a step back and pull a Serena. Look how serena was in a slump getting beat left and right and trashed by Jen four straight times. It was not pretty. Serena buckled down and took her career more seriously. She always had the game but she lacked the attitude and killer instinct. Serena would choke away leads and implode and just get passed up.

Serena has problems playing jen. She gets nervous and erratic. It comes out mostly in her service game. Example: the french open quarter and semi. In the quarter serena was serving up a storm! She looked invincible on serve. In the semi her serve was horrible! I couldn't understand it because the serve is the one weapon a player has that she controls totally! But when she plays jen her first serve percentage really drops. Now before anyone says thats because of jens return game, no its not. its because of the mental dynamic that plays out when these two fight it out on the court.

I firmly believe that jen dealth serena dome serious blows in the those losses of 2001, especially wimbledon. Serena was a mess. Jen forced serena to get better. She forced serena to take a hard long look and either step up or step aside. Serena stepped up.

Will jen?

You are exactly right! Serena has been the best player of the past year and has raised the bar for all the other players.

I hope Jenn (and all the other top 20 players) rise to the challenge!!!

brickhousesupporter
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx

Will jen?

I thought I was the only one that felt this. Serena has the tools to blow Jenn out of the water. In fact Jenn is the only player that Serena has yet to lay a smackdown on. When Serena and Jenn play it is definitely a head match. Hopefully now Serena is in Jenn's head.

King Lindsay
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:05 PM
JCAP and jenny7529651238591, given that jennifer never said she was sensitive to lights and that she said her eyes had already adapted to sunlight again after two weeks, I think you can rule her eyesight out as the reason for her loss.

DEETHELICK
Feb 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Cybelle: Excellent point.

That is so true about Serena's serve, it always seems to falter against Jen. Jen DOES have a great return game and her returns have always been great which put pressure on Serena, but mostly it is a headcase scenario out there.

These two bring out the absolute fighters in each other and with it bring some great rallies and breathtaking tennis.

Jen needs a key win against either Williams and I think that will definitely accelerate the regrouping process.

Hopefully a win against Venus next week might help! :)

JCAP
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:36 PM
GO ON THE CAPRIATI!!