PDA

View Full Version : Serena completes the "Big 7"

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:29 AM
With her win at the Aus. Open, Serena completes the "Big 7".

So, what is the "Big 7"? Here's the answer.

I consider these to be the "Big 7" titles:

1. Aus. Open
2. French Open
3. Wimbledon
4. U.S. Open
5. WTA Championships (aka Virginia Slims/Chase/Sanex Championships)
6. Miami
7. Indian Wells (tier 1 status from 1997-present)

Olympics are not included because not all the top players play in it.

I'm too lazy to look up info on players before Steffi Graf's era so I won't include them.

So, who has won all of these important titles? We shall take a look.

These are ordered from most complete to least complete. The stats are the number of times a player has won each of them.

Serena Williams - Won them all.
- Stats 1-1-1-2-1-1-2

Steffi Graf - Missing Indian Wells.
- Stats 4-6-7-5-5-5-0

Martina Hingis - Missing French Open.
- Has reached the final twice.
- Retired for now.
- Stats 3-0-1-1-2-2-1

Monica Seles - Missing Wimbledon and Indian Wells.
- Has reached the Wimbledon final.
- Gets tougher to win it with each passing
year.
- Stats 4-3-0-2-3-2-0

Lindsay Davenport - Missing French Open and Miami.
- Can win Miami.
- Clay is her worst surface so French
Open is very tough to win.
- Stats 1-0-1-1-1-0-2

Venus Williams - Missing Aus. Open, French Open,
WTA Championships, and Indian Wells.
- Has reached the final of Aus. Open and
French Open.
- Can win all of them sooner or later.
- Stats 0-0-2-2-0-3-0

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario - Missing Aus. Open, Wimbledon,
WTA Championships, and
Indian Wells.
- Has reached the final of
Aus. Open twice and Wimbledon
twice.
- Retired.
- Stats 0-3-0-1-0-2-0

Jennifer Capriati - Missing Wimbledon, U.S. Open,
WTA Championships, Miami, and
Indian Wells.
- Stats 2-1-0-0-0-0-0

Mary Pierce - Missing Wimbledon, U.S. Open,
WTA Championships, Miami, and Indian Wells.
- Stats 1-1-0-0-0-0-0

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:33 AM
You need to keep in mind in the late 80's/early 90's Indian Wells wasn't a big tournament at all. I think it was only a tier II called "Evert Cup", so I don't think a big 7 really exists.

Also formerly Key Biscayne (Lipton International Players' Championship) now Miami, used to be a much bigger tournament than it is now, it was the virtual 5th slam in terms of player participation.

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Darn, there goes my work out the window. ;)

So, Indian Wells used to be smaller and Miami used to be bigger? I didn't know that.

But Miami was always the biggest tier 1, right?

Then what was the second biggest tier 1 before Indian Wells? Not that many people here would know, I guess.

aisha
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Was Rome always a big tournament?

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Darkheart, not necessarily, I think it's interesting how the two players who's won them all (4 slams) have also won everything else, and that there's some needing a few slams to complete their collection ;)

aisha, Rome (the Italian Open) began in the 1960's I think, and as far as I know it has always been a huge preparation event in lead up to the French Open.

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:58 AM
I'll just drop off Indian Wells. Too much work to adjust anything.

So now it's the "Big 6". ;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Why don't all the top players play the Olympics? I the only time I can think of a top player NOT playing was in 2000, when Hingis chose not to play.

Plus, you also have to take into consideration that countries are only allowed so many players. The USA is in a pickle. Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Monica, Jennifer, Chanda. How do they choose? Rankings. To me, it should be included

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:09 AM
It's seven. Just because there is a boycott on Indian Wells (its not like someone tried to kill her there), there's no sense in trying to undermine its #7 status. Actually, you could call it "big 9" if you want, because Rome is #8, and the Canadian Open is, IMO, #9. And Serena has won them all. Give Monica credit for being in the Final of Wimbledon, winning Indian Wells, and winning the other 7 at least twice each, despite the attack on her career.

rfs1999
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Go Monica!

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:11 AM
I was going to say yeah keep it as "Big 7" cause clearly Indian Wells is the 7th biggest tournament NOW.

I was just noting how it wasn't in the past.

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
Why don't all the top players play the Olympics? I the only time I can think of a top player NOT playing was in 2000, when Hingis chose not to play.

Hingis did not "choose" not to play. She was not permitted, because she had not played Fed Cup recently enough. Mary Pierce, ditto, and she was in the top 10 at the time. Nathalie Tauziat was also in the top 10, and was excluded from the French team because her potential teamates all hated her. Serena Williams was not permitted to enter, because the 4th highest ranked American wasn't good enough even if she was top 10, whereas an Italian ranked below #100 was needed to round out their 3 player team.

The Olympics is a Tier II.

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:19 AM
I'm not including the Olympics because:

1. Each country is limited to a certain number of players. USA is the best example there.

2. Top players can still skip it. It's not required. No ranking points, no prize money. Some players who are banged-up can stay at home and rest for 2 weeks.

3. There are actually regular tour events going on at the same time as the Olympics. Some players (#11-#30) play in those events instead of the Olympics.

4. It only comes once every 4 years so a player only has 2 good (prime years) chances to win it. That's just not enough.

5. As disposablehero said, some players are not allowed to play or choose not to play for certain "political" reasons.

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Okay, I'll change it back to the "Big 7", no more. ;)

I'll add more stats later.

Chance
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:48 AM
lol I can't keep track of the thread heading

Darkheart
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:04 AM
I've added the stats.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Omg, I still get surprised somewhat when I read some of Serena's stats. Amazing!

sartrista7
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:46 AM
The Italian Open should be bigger than Indian Wells, even before the boycott and definitely after it. It's got a long tradition behind it, and it's just ridiculous to claim that four of the seven biggest events around are hard court ones, three of which are in America.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by sartrista7
The Italian Open should be bigger than Indian Wells, even before the boycott and definitely after it. It's got a long tradition behind it, and it's just ridiculous to claim that four of the seven biggest events around are hard court ones, three of which are in America.

Indian Wells, along with Miami, offers over $2 million in prizemoney and they have the largest draws on tour aside from the slams. These reasons alone make Indian Wells the 7th biggest event on tour.

Italian Open has a rich history but if we're going to go by that, German Open (Berlin) started in 1896, and once was the premiere claycourt event in the world. So sadly I don't think history counts for much these days.