PDA

View Full Version : Will lindsay davenport ever see the number one ranking again?

selesadmirer
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:09 AM
i believe it is a topic of discussion..She might have a chance if she stays mentally focused...Otherwise no...what do you think?

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:12 AM
She will always be a contender at tournaments she plays and at all the Grand Slams, but with the sisters and lots of other young talent, I just don't see it happening. But Lindsay is a great player and has some great, successful years ahead of her...

Asmus
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Not when Serena has 7000+ points and an 8-2 record vs Lindsay!

aisha
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Nope.

brickhousesupporter
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:16 AM
I really dont think Lindsay will ever reach number 1 again. However, I really don't think that is her intention anyways. Right now she has other priorities in life. I however do consider her a title contender,and on any given day, she can win a tournament.

Havok
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:21 AM
nope. steady top 10er though

Leena
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Unless Serena & Venus get injured this year... then she has no chance. Linds is 26, and doesn't have much time left.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:53 AM
SHE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
But as others say, She's been there and what just she wants is to add GS to her name, Its her priority not the ranking.

selesfan
Feb 11th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Sadly no, unless she can find a way to start beating the Williams sisters.

Sharapower
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:02 AM
I don't think Lindsay can be #1 again. She may still have great wins but she's to slow on court to consistently beat the other top ten players.

TeeRexx
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:51 AM
No,
Nope.
Nada.
Nyet.
Zero chance.
When there is figure skating in hell. :)

King Lindsay
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:58 AM
i don't think she'll have much trouble consistently beating the top ten players, Quasimodo.

Chances are, Lindsay finishes this year in the top five, at least. and that is where she belongs. as for #1, no, I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.

diggerariel
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:03 AM
The California Girl will win no less than 2 major titles within the next 5 years. The Williams sisters are legendary, but if Lindsay can regain her old form, she just has too much talent & heart to not suceed at a very high level.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/davenportsdomain/

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:05 AM
I think she can. The sisters have played well before, and she's still ended they year #1. I think Lindsay just has to be consistent. She could do it this year [unlikely though].

But I think she could

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Lindsay will succeed at a high level but her #1 days are over. I think when some of these new power babes start getting consistant she will have trouble more so than V@S who have speed on their side so again no. In fact I think with each tourney Serena wins (players who are over 25) hopes of becoming #1 again are being diminished.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:57 AM
IMO, there is NO WAY she can be #1 again. Even a grand slam is a long shot but she could sneak in for one in the future, maybe. Lindsay's really lost the potency in her groundstrokes and serve, and doesn't have the speed to make up for it. A bad combination, but good luck to her. I wouldn't mind if she proves me wrong :)

graf630
Feb 11th, 2003, 12:23 PM
No I don't think so. The passion is no longer there. She belongs in the top 5,but must stay healthy and consistant to stay there.

schris
Feb 11th, 2003, 12:39 PM
I wish she could reach No 1 again, but it`s too late for her :(

Scorch
Feb 11th, 2003, 12:41 PM
The serve has really gone awry, but Tokyo was a promising result. I still think that Lindsay feels that she is on the comeback trail and we certainly have not seen anything like the standard of play we have done in the past. Bottom line is once the serve starts working she is top five and a threat at all grandslams where the score is called in English. As for ANYONE replacing Serena at the top well that is all to do with Serena herself. Injury or waning interest are the only things that stand a chance of Stopping Serena. Either that or their is one hell of a player waiting in the wings!!

Volcana
Feb 11th, 2003, 12:45 PM
No. #3 maybe. #1, no chance.

Mase
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Honestly if she impoves her movement, I think she has a chance at #2. Venus can be erratic at times, and not have the drive that she needs so I can see Lindsay creeping in there, but no where near the #1 spot, Serena is just too good and determined this year...... but its feasible that she could creep into that spot, definitley the top 3 if she works...

MarcusRock
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:07 PM
With everyone remaining healthy, I don't think so. I say she's outer 5 material but when you can't close out Henin-Hardenne (not a slouch, but still) I'd have a hard time endorsing you.

Scorch
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:14 PM
But when Lindsay lost to Henin she was playing no where NEAR her best. Without the serve all her intensity is gone (or is it without the intensity her serve is gone).

I think that Lindsay near her best is still a better player that Justine, Kim or Jennifer.

GoGoMaggie
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Hey don't forget the fact that before she got the injury, she WAS the no.1. all of a sudden she's not a contender for the top anymore?? She hasnt even played full year yet. every match n tourny she plays, she gets better. Do you seriously think Kim is better than Lindsay? I think once Lindsay finds the confidence she had two years ago, she definitely has the chance to get back there. I know the chance isnt looking great but much better than impossible. I saw her play in tokyo n she was just on fire. I think if she continues to play the way she did there, she can beat anyone. the more wins she gets under the belt, the higher her confidence level goes up. Give her more time. It s all up to her if she proves it or fails.

lmy
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I think that Lindsay needs to show those "winning ways" against the best(Serena, Venus, Kim,). Winning in a depleted draw will get her ranking higher , but what does that prove? The up and coming crop of players are improving...I don't think Lindsay is. She is trying to get back to where shewas. One(1) is possible, but not probable.