PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Report (sunday)

per4ever
Feb 9th, 2003, 11:42 PM
I saw winanna made one for the qualifying on saturday..so I guess I can make a small one myself for today ;)

I had to choose between Ondraskova/Perebiynis and Rita Kuti Kis/Julia Vakulenko... I chose the second one ;)

Rita Kuti Kis bt. Julia Vakulenko 6-3 5-7 6-3
I read on the site that Rita won easily..and I wonder where they got that from. I saw Rita Kuti Kis play before so I already knew her game, Vakulenko was totally new to me. She really surprised me. The 19-year old has a big serve (her height of 1.83m is a big advantage of course). Her groundstroke are really good, and she moves well for such a big girl. I think she has everything to become the new Elena Bovina. The 24 year old Rita won this match just because she is more experienced. Julia is a much better player, and I'm sure we will hear from her again. Remarkable was the way Vakulenko won the second set. She had three matchpoints against her on her serve at 5-3*. With magnificent play (2 winners and an ace) she managed to win that game and rush to 7-5 in the second set.
Rita deserved to win this match, Julia just missed too many easy shots..but she'll definitly get there.

The following match on court II was Beygelzimer/Boogert, but I expected a one sided match and an easy win for Beygelzimer (6-4 7-5, may be not that easy), so I decided to check out the other match.

Dally Randriantefy df. Zsofia Gubacsi 6-2 7-5
Have to admit that I didn't enjoy this match a lot. Both players are young and lack power. Dally has very fast legs and she was able to return lots of (often wellplaced, but soft) balls from Gubacsi. Zsofia didn't really find a way to break the defense, and first set was really onesided. In the second set it looked like Zsofia would grab it...but she lost this set pure because of a lack of mental strength imo. She is more talented then Dally imo, but she didn't really show it all today. Well better luck next time.

Claudine Schaul bt Sybille Bammer 7-5 6-4
This was the match I was waiting for since I'm a fan of Claudine...and boy, did she play well today :D The match started with two servicebreaks, and the 22 yr old Sybille (mother of 1yr old Tina) was dominating the first games. She had more power then Claudine and in those first 4-5 games Claudine was searching for a way to deal with it. She did find it...being one break behind during the first set, she managed to bring her best tennis at the right time, which lead to a 7-5 in first set. Claudine has to work on her serve, her first serve is average, but her second is really weak (a Kapros-serve). Her gameplay was magnificent, I never expected her to be so good really. She knows how to mix it up, has a big forehand, and a strong doublehanded backhand. Her backhand was the most important weapon in this match, she managed to hit several winners with it down the line and makes really good angles with it. So up to the second set..Claudine was dominating all the way from 1-1 she went up to a comfortable 5-1 lead, so it was as good as over. But then she started to doubt a little, her serve was awful at that moment, hitting double faults, and especially missing lots of first serves. Sybille came back to 5-4, but Claudine closed it out and won 7-5 6-4.
This match had some magnificent rallies, and the quality of the match was high. Claudine Schaul has a pretty good chance to make the main draw tomorrow. Good luck Claudine!

Vanessa Henke bt Severine Beltrame 1-6 6-1 7-5
This was a disappointing match, with only the third set of good quality, several beautiful rallies and good points. First set was good play from Severine, nothing special, Vanessa just made a lot of UE's. Second set was the other way around (tennis can be a weird game). Third set was a lot better. Beltrame was a little stronger all the time, so it looked like she would win this match afterall, but a stubborn Henke fought back (she has some character this girl..her racket hit the ground more then it should have ;)). With an easy volley in the net, Severine handed this win over to Vanessa. She clearly knew that she should have won this....

During the second set of that match I went to main court to have a look at Virginie Razzano - Camille Pin, but I don't like their style and the match was sooo one sided that I decided to return to court 2 and hope for better tennis there.

Sandra Kleinova bt. Maureen Drake 6-1 4-6 6-2
I guess these two are well known players, especially Maureen Drake. Sandra was better in each facet of the game, only her serve is kinda weird. She has a really strange service motion, which causes some serviceproblems once a while. Sandra should have won this in two, but at least she won :)

don't know if all this makes any sense to you all...but anyway..did my best :)

Mitch01
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Good report - thanks! Don't worry, it makes sense ;)
Too bad Maureen and Juli :(
Good job Dally!

rated_next
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:06 AM

vogus
Feb 10th, 2003, 03:42 AM
thanx for that per4ever.

King Aaron
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks K ;)

spiceboy
Feb 10th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Thanx!!!!

Fieke
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the reports :kiss:

Frau Antje
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by per4ever
Vanessa Henke bt Severine Beltrame 1-6 6-1 7-5
I have also seen the match. Where did you sit?

per4ever
Feb 10th, 2003, 10:47 PM
left side, when you go up the steps at the left (the last one)...then descend..I was on row three, 4th chair on the right.

Vakulenko and her coach came sitting next to me during this match I think..

Monica_Rules
Feb 10th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Thanx!

Frau Antje
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by per4ever
left side, when you go up the steps at the left (the last one)...then descend..I was on row three, 4th chair on the right.

Vakulenko and her coach came sitting next to me during this match I think..
I was sitting on the right side, on the last steps at the right side ;)
(I sat there almost the whole day) ;)

per4ever
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I guess we missed eachother then :sad: too bad..didn't know you were coming :)