PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here snowboard/ski?

Blogger Dives
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Are there any fellow snowboarders or skiers on the WTA message boards? I was just wondering, if so which do you do, and how often do you get to go.

I'll start, I'm a snowboarder (but originally a skier)... I try to go anywhere from 3 to 5 times every winter. Although lately I find myself wanting to go a little more.

:wavey:

toreador
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Blogger Dives
I try to go anywhere from 3 to 5 times every winter.

:eek: only 3-5 times? my classmate goes more times (especially this year, he skips school to go skiing)

Blogger Dives
Feb 9th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Living in Florida, it's kinda hard to find snow. :sad:

But, I think I'm leaving in the next few days to go again. And if I didn't have class and stuff, I'd probably go and stay like an entire month or something. But as is right now, I have to pay to fly up... Pay to find a hotel, and it just gets to be a hassle to go as often as I like. :sad:

Usually when I go I stay at least a week, although over Christmas and my Birthday (very close together).. I managed to say two weeks. :)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 9th, 2003, 05:56 PM
i snowboard :wavey:

only been snowboarding once this season :sad: don't have money *saving for a trip to spain* lol :o i love the snow :cool: my dream is going to St. Anton or some other skiresorts in the Alpes :bounce:

blogger, regular or goofy? how long have you been sb-ing?

dubro
Feb 9th, 2003, 07:14 PM
yeah of course!

i love to ski ! i do when i can.

i did also snowboard 2 times. exciting, but too much trendy.

i prefer ski :cool:

hopp
:wavey:

seabiscuit
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
well i am one of those skiers who doesn't like the snowboarders:p...go out to Colorado most every year to the Summit area to ski Copper, Breckenridge, and Vail--last year i had the fortune of being out there for two months

Maajken
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by seabiscuit
well i am one of those skiers who doesn't like the snowboarders:p...
lol same here :wavey:

i usually go skiing once a year for about a week. i love to do it but once a year is more than enough though :D

King Satan
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Nah, no snow in LA :)

ys
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:40 PM
skiing 25-30 days a season .. :wavey:

seabiscuit
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:41 PM
...except of course unless the snowboarder is also a Marti fan;)

nasty nick#2
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Eventhough i come from Sweden i haven't been skiing since i was like 10 :o But i wouldn't mind doing it again sometime. I love challenges :D Hmnm i wonder how big chance there is that i would break something :o

Blogger Dives
Feb 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Martian Marri I ride goofy. I've been snowboarding for about 7 years now. (Before that I was a skier since age 8) I have a Palmer snowboard, although I saw a nice Burton in a shop I wanted. :D

Whenever I go it's to like Sugar Mtn in Banner Elk, NC since it's a short flight up. I also have been going to Lake Placid NY as of recently... but probably if I go in the next week or so it will be back to NC. I'd love to go to Colorado, I haven't been yet. If I knew I could get the time off from college without missing anything important I'd go in a heartbeat!

seabiscuit - I know a lot of skiers who dislike snowboarders. I used to be one of them :o However, I got into it when I was younger and it just kind of stuck with me. I think I'm safe though, I like Marti! ;)

Martina I know skis, I wonder if she's tried snowboarding? :)

Zl@tko
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM
I used to ski, but never enjoyed it really, so i tried snowboarding and I just love it, i've been snowboarding for 2 years now, but this year i still didn't have a chance to go snowboarding, hopefully soon

White Stripes
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:09 PM
i learned skiing this winter and i love it!!!!
hope i'll have the chance to keep it on!

seabiscuit
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Blogger Dives

seabiscuit - I know a lot of skiers who dislike snowboarders. I used to be one of them :o However, I got into it when I was younger and it just kind of stuck with me. I think I'm safe though, I like Marti! ;)

Martina I know skis, I wonder if she's tried snowboarding? :)

yes, u r quite safe...Marti like snowboarding? i hope not he he:p (is it popular in Switzerland?)

gentenaire
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Same as Maeike, I try to go for one week a year. And I'm also one of those skiers who's annoyed at snowboarders;) Not at the ones who're good at it but at those who're still learning and insist and removing all the snow from the slopes.

I love monoski but unfortunately it's no longer considered trendy so you can't rent a monoski anymore :sad: The carvers are fun too though.

Whatzup
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Yes me!! :D

Very cool!

2 weeks per year, since previous year I snowboard! :bounce:

ys
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Now the skiing got even more interesting - we have new type of activity - snowboarder-hunting.. This is SO exciting..:p

Mitch01
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Yep, I live in an awesome spot for skiing, there's great skihills all around me ;)
I used to ski all the time, now I've started snowboarding the last couple of years (still suck at it though :o ). I didn't buy a season's pass to any of the mountains around here this year, and plus it's been so warm this year, so I've only been boarding twice and skiing once this year :(

On another note, I'm so happy that Melanie Turgeon won the gold in the downhill at St. Moritz this weekend. Canada's first gold in 10 years! Awesome. This should give our team a ton of momentum and we should finally be able to start re-establishing our skiiers as a major force :D

salima
Feb 10th, 2003, 10:33 PM
hmhm zemoj Mnova snega va dvare, hope to get 100 days of skiing this winter. But I find just to glide downhill not challenging enough:)

For all who can: get out in the snow and have FUN:)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 10th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by seabiscuit
...except of course unless the snowboarder is also a Marti fan;)

lmao, nice save :p

Blogger, i love to ride with goofies, coz i'm regular, and its fun to make those 8 marks in the powder snow :angel:

I'm a safe rider too, so don't worry, seabiscuit, maeike and tine :p ;) :angel:

i think snowboarding is quite popular in every ski-countries? i guess it depends on their interests:angel:

toreador
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:34 AM
we're gonna go skiing/snowboarding next tuesday :bounce:
i'm not gonna do any of these cos i don't wanna break any part of my body again :o

Feb 11th, 2003, 03:39 AM
I sit at the bar all day and watch my brother snowboard lol! I'm not a cold weather person

seabiscuit
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM
was that a save on set point marri?

untitled2284--shame, shame...but i am NOT a warm weather person

Blogger Dives
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Snowboarding is fairly popular in Switzerland, however not as much as skiing. Maybe Marti will give it a try since she's got all this free time on her hands. :D

I'm a cold weather person, which makes no sense considering I live in Florida. Then again, wait... I'm also the first one who's at the beach any chance I can get. I guess I'm just a seasonal person.

Good news for me, I'm leaving on Wednesday to go snowboarding in NC. Also I'll be attending the Duke and Wake Forest NCAA game. :wavey:

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Marri, my problem with snowboarders has nothing to do with safety. It's not as if I'm a slow skier. I love to have the entire slope to myself and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz.

I just wish that those who're only beginning to learn snowboarding would leave some snow on the slopes. They should have seperate slopes for beginners, where they can go down slopes without making a single turn the entire time, just doing that break movement from top to bottom.

King Satan
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:51 AM
DOn't worry tine, when I become a famous rockstar, i'm gonna buy you your own mountain, so you can Wheeeeeezzzzzz as much as you'd like :kiss:

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM
That's very sweet, but I'm I'd end up getting sick of that one mountain. I want different slopes, you see, a large ski resort. Just bribe all the other skiers to visit a different ski resort from mine.

King Satan
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Ok sweetie, i'll just buy you the ski resort ;):kiss::)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:27 AM
hehe, i understand what you mean tine! i don't like them either! they scrape off too much snow and blah!
what they all should do is what me and my friends did... the first 3-5 times we went to snowboard as newbeginners, we went to small local slopes... :angel: in taht way, we would affect as few ppl as possible AND not totally make an ass out of ourselves infront of hundreds of others!!
But this is my 5 season, and i don't do all the weird stuff beginners do!
but tine, if you want the slope to your self, then it's not just the snowboarders you don't like then?;)

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:30 AM
That's right, I hate everybody, I'm evil :devil:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:32 AM
*note to self: never ever go to the same ski resort as tine*
you will probably shove ppl of the slopes and sputter (?) snow on them by the ski lift :o

King Satan
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:37 AM
lol I can picture tine elbowing ppl off the slopes :D

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM
elbowing? By the time I've lifted my elbow I'm 100m down the slope;) All I do is use them as poles (or gates or what do you call those red and blue thingies they use in competitions?), I make my curve around them.

But Marri's right, breaking right in front of people so that they're showered with snow is one of my favourite pastimes.

nasty nick#2
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:44 AM
One of my friends went to skii in north sweden by himself for a week, really that kind of thing you dont do, crazy guy :D

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:12 PM
so tine, what kind of skiis do you use?? CArving?
ever tried "telemark"? it's a norwegian ski sport, it's when you bend your knees while turning/curving.

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:17 PM
I know telemark but I've never tried it. I bought skis this year, Rossignol carvings. I bought them in the off season since they're a lot cheaper then. They're just carvings for recreational skiers. I don't need special skis that make me go even faster, LOL! Skiing with carvings is so easy and a lot more fun.
I used to love monoski, I still love it, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. It's no longer 'trendy'...pfff! Anyway, I'm going skiing in March and this'll be the first time I'll get to ski with my own skis and my own ski boots. (BTW, the skis I bought are exactly the same as those I skied with last year so I know they're good)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:22 PM
if you want more speed (:eek: ;) ) challenges and excitment, i recommend telemark :cool: i've never trid it, but all my friends either snowboard or ride telemark, and it looks so cool!

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:29 PM
but isn't it hard on the knees? All that bending all the time.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM
i would guess that, but i've never heard any complaints. one of them had knee operations on both knees coz of a handball injury, was back after one season off, no problems.

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I think I'd feel in the upper legs. Telemark is probably doing real sports. Skiing is easy, not tiring at all. I'm not fit at all at the moment, haven't been fit these past few years but I can easily ski down a hill without stopping once. I try to be on the first and the last ski lift going up, want to ski as much as possible.
I guess that if I were to try telemark, I'd be very tired at the end of the day. I guess telemark is for real sports people.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:43 PM
well, the kids here have all been active with sports since they were 6 years old.. lol. i guess it's somewhat true when ppl say taht norwegians are born with skis on their feet ;)
It'd be good exercise though :D
But i'm like you, i just rush down, and get right back up, but i have to stop doing that, coz i tend to leave my friends behind me coz they always wanna jumps and stuff... i like to jump too, but after my last fall, i've kinda kept away from the jumps... for now :o

gentenaire
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Hehe, almost as soon as we've reached the top of the hill with the ski lift I say "see you at the bottom" and off I go! LOL. That's why I love monoski so much, I never go as fast with it so I spend less time on ski lifts then.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM
http://www.telemarkski.com/img_gallery/gress_big.jpg

*siiigh*

lakeway11
Dec 9th, 2003, 10:32 PM
snowboaders :eek: