PDA

View Full Version : Antwerp Proximus Diamond Games news

Pages : [1] 2

KaseyL
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:28 PM
As the tournament is about to begin, I think we could use such a thread :)

:bounce: GO KIM:bounce:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Good idea!
Does anyone know when the draw comes out?:confused: I really wanna know who Kim's playing!

C'mon Kim! U can do it!:worship:

Elke
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Kim has a bye in 1st round.
She'll play her 2nd round match Tuesday evening.

per4ever
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
draw comes out tomorrow I think

I will be there on tuesday evening :cool:

Elke
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
me too! :)

Come-on-kim
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by per4ever
draw comes out tomorrow I think

I will be there on tuesday evening :cool:

Already tomorrow?:confused: :eek:

KaseyL
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Kim's sis Elke has received a wildcard, btw.

We can cover her results in the thread re Elke, if people want to know.

KaseyL
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:16 AM

also available in Dutch and French

Cilla
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Wohoo :bounce: Go Kim :bounce: and Elke! :bounce:

Zoecrick
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Are they covering Antwerp on Eurosport??

Bigkimfan
Feb 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wreck'em!:bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Zoecrick
Are they covering Antwerp on Eurosport??
yes they are

Hawk
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I was just reading Daniela Hantuchova's chat transcript from the sanexheroes site and I saw...And next week live from Antwerp: Chat with Kim Clijsters! Yay! :bounce: I don't know if this has been mentioned before..sorry if it has.

Lleykimmy1
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Come on Kimmie !!!!!!!!!!!

:wavey: :bounce:

Hawk
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Bigkimfan
Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wreck'em!:bounce: :bounce:

I'm just wondering..is there a story behind the Wreck'em Kim expression. Cause I've seen it used a few times and it seems like there is a story behind it..sorry if i'm being nosy :o

Aussie_Kim
Feb 7th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Just wonderin is there any chance of Elke & Kim playing each other? Just think! I reckon that would be the best match eva. A sister combination 2 rival the Williams.

:bounce: Go Elke :bounce:
:bounce: Go Kim :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Hawk
I'm just wondering..is there a story behind the Wreck'em Kim expression. Cause I've seen it used a few times and it seems like there is a story behind it..sorry if i'm being nosy :o

I saw it at the aussi open (kim vs. serena)! ;)

Cilla
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:17 AM

It was just a big sign that some Kim fans made that said "Go Kim, Wreck 'em" Vs Serena in the Semis of OZ ;) There's a pic of it somwhere :p

Fieke
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Here's the famous sign

I think it has been posted before, but now you don't have to go looking for it in the other threads ;)

And by the way, to everyone who's going: I expect reports :p :kiss:

Hawk
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:20 PM
oh hehe cool sign ;) Thanks for the explanation everyone :kiss:

Fieke
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:29 PM
The main draw is out. Kim, Elke, Kirsten and Justine are all in the same half, Elke faces Patty Schnyder in the 1st round and if Kirsten gets through her 1st round match against Casanova, she faces Kim in the 2nd round... :(

p.s. draw is up on the official website and in the Proximus Diamond Games section of the board.

Hawk
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Here is the whole draw..pretty good :)

Venus Williams(USA)
BYE

Daja Bedanova(CZE)
Maja Matevzic(SLO)

Tina Pisnik(SLO)
Rita Grande(ITA)

Alexandra Stevenson(USA)
Amelie Mauresmo(FRA)

Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)
BYE

Els Callens(BEL)
Q

Q
Janette Husarova(SVK)

Q
Nathalie Dechy(FRA)

Jelena Dokic(YUG)
Ai Sugiyama(JPN)

Magui Serna(SP)
Angelika Roesch(GER)

Q
Emilie Loit(FRA)

BYE
Justine Henin-Hardenne(BEL)

Patty Schnyder(SWI)
Elke Clijsters(BEL)

Denisa Chladkova(CZE)
Iveta Benesova(CZE)

Kirsten Flipkens(BEL)
Myriam Casanova(SWI)

BYE
Kim Clijsters(BEL)

Little bit of a rough draw for the young belgians, but Kim's draw looks very nice :D

jujufan
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:18 PM
ai that means that justine and kim theoretical play each other in the semies
so everyone who has one semi ticket will have to be lucky to see them
Pitty

Bigkimfan
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Good draw! Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

per4ever
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Let's hope Kristen can win her first round, I would love to see her play Kim :)

Elke
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Revenge for Elke against Patty!!:devil: :cool:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Revenge for Elke against Patty!!

I Hope so:bounce: :bounce:

Also Kim's draw looks nice she has avoided a QF clash with wither Mauresmo or Dokic which is good:)

Good Luck to both Kim and Elke:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:46 PM
GO KIM I KNOW THAT YOU CAN WIN THIS TOURNAMENT IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN CROWD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

Cilla
Feb 9th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the pic Fieke ;) :p

:wavey:

ikke
Feb 9th, 2003, 11:20 AM
For all the Belgiums: watch sportweekend this evening!;)

"Sportweekend 9 februari

Dossier Alloo: De media en hun jacht op sporthelden

Luk Alloo zoomt deze week in op de steeds agressiever wordende jacht van de media op grote sporthelden. Hij trekt zaterdag naar de tennis-clinic van Kim Clijsters en Justine Hénin in het Antwerpse Sportpaleis en brengt in kaart hoe kranten, tijdschriften en een massa televisie-ploegen mekaar verdringen om de nummer drie en vier van de wereld "in te blikken". En uiteraard vraagt hij Kim en Justine ook wat ze daar zelf van vinden..."

ßcoene
Feb 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info ikke. :)

Stefke
Feb 9th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Thanx!:kiss:

Sarah
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:49 PM
What time does sportweekend start???
I really don't want to miss it!

ikke
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:57 PM
It starts at 22.15 I think

BelgianGirl
Feb 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks! :)

And for who's interested: Justine will be one of the guests in "De laatste show" monday. (I know she's not a Clijsters, but I thought it might be interesting for some of you! :) )

jujufan
Feb 9th, 2003, 06:50 PM
If Luk alloo did interview Justine and kim then it's again a prove that the vrt is pro clijsters and neutral against juju.
Just noticed that they didn't mentioned justine when they spoke about sportweekend.

However I'll watch it even if it's only kim.
Good luck Kim up there.

Bigkimfan
Feb 9th, 2003, 07:09 PM
I just saw these posts about sportweekend so I deleted my thread!;)

Elleke
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:11 PM
6-0 first set Kim/Ai, they're just better than Van Henke/Schaul as expected !
Kim was also watching the match Flipkens-Casanova

Elleke
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:26 PM
6060 :o in 38 minutes :D

kit
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Yeah,Kim and Ai won their double!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Good Luck Kim and Elke,tomorrow!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

angele87
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Well done Kim and Ai :D

Bigkimfan
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Well done!!!:D

KaseyL
Feb 10th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jujufan
If Luk alloo did interview Justine and kim then it's again a prove that the vrt is pro clijsters and neutral against juju.
Just noticed that they didn't mentioned justine when they spoke about sportweekend.

However I'll watch it even if it's only kim.
Good luck Kim up there.

Well, maybe you're right that VRT is pro Kim but I think it's pretty understandable as Kim is Flemish after all.
However, considering the topic, being hunted down by the media, I hardly think they could ask anyone better than Kim.
And, I know, I might be a bit too unneutral, but nevertheless I don't see Justine really laughing with that anti-media kit of Alloo and Alloo's "unconventional" personality in the first place... she first of all would need translation all the time btw...

KaseyL
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:05 PM
And :bounce: Kim and Ai!

LOL & :o at the double bagel! Think Kim has spent more time off court doing all the autographs tonight than being on court! :p

From the post-match interview I remember that Ai said that she and Kim are such good friends!
And Kim said she wasn't thinking of the final yet; her match against Casanova would be a tough one.

btw Kim's mom was the focus of the cameramen...

duck
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL

btw Kim's mom was the focus of the cameramen...

But of course!

Come-on-kim
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Congrats Kim and Ai!!!

Good luck tomorrow Kim!!

Hawk
Feb 10th, 2003, 09:08 PM
:eek: @ the doubles..Way to go Kim and Ai! Good start to the tourney Kim ;)

Cilla
Feb 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Kim and Ai :eek: :eek: :p

Mazza
Feb 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Woah! :eek: Kim and Ai! :D

Go Kim Go! :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Just a few little things: (from the tourney website)

Kim will honour Sabine

Tuesday, after her first single match of the tournament, Kim Clijsters will honour former tennis player Sabine Appelmans. Belgian Appelmans assisted Clijsters as a WTA-mentor during her first matches in the WTA-circuit.

and

Beauty steals the show

Down in the Antwerp "Sportpaleis" there's only one real star:Beauty, de dog Kim Clijsters' was given at the Proximus Diamond Tennis Night in Charleroi. Jelena Dokic immediately announced she wanted a similar dog.

:D

keta
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:53 AM
:hearts: :hearts: Aww Does anyone have any pictures of Beauty now??? And Pfttt RT she always steals or wants the same as kim!!;)
:bounce: Well doen kim and Ai!! Good luck for the singels Tomorrow night kimmmmy!! :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:04 AM
From Bob Larson's preview this week:

Women's Look Forward: Antwerp

European tennis, based on attendance statistics, is in a severe decline. Except in one country: Belgium. The land of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin may well be the most tennis-happy country in the whole continent.

And Antwerp is the leading beneficiary. Last year, it instantly became the most popular indoor event on the WTA Tour -- even sparking speculation that it would move up to Tier I status (though it's clear that San Diego is next in line for a Tier upgrade).

Popular with the fans, anyway. The players may be another matter. The author can't recall ever seeing a draw like this one: It has six Top Ten players (defending champion Venus Williams, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Daniela Hantuchova, Amelie Mauresmo, and Jelena Dokic) -- and then nothing. The author thought Paris, last week, was strange. But of the Top 20, other than the six players already listed, the tournament has only two: Patty Schnyder and Nathalie Dechy. From the Top 25, add Alexandra Stevenson. From the Top 30, Ai Sugiyama And that's it. A Tier II with only eleven Top 30 players, and six of them are Top 10! As a matter of fact, only 13 players -- less than half the field -- are Top 50

The Belgians probably won't complain. That weak draw meant that they could give their #3 singles player, Els Callens, direct entry, which in turn meant that they could give wildcards to their two alleged prospects Elke Clijsters (Kim's little sister) and Kirsten Flipkens.

Which, by strange irony, may hurt the Belgians. Bad luck enough that Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters are in the same half of the draw. But both Belgian wildcards -- who are ranked in the 500s, and who have shown no real signs of prospect-hood -- are in Clijsters's quarter. Theoretically, Kim could meet Flipkens in her opening match, and then sister Elke in the quarterfinal. In practice, Kim will face Myriam Casanova, who is a strong prospect, in the second round, and Casanova will have gotten little more than a workout. And in the quarterfinal Clijsters will likely face a Patty Schnyder who also had an easy match against Elke. (Those two seem fated to meet: Schnyder and Clijsters the Younger also met in the first round last year. It was surprisingly close, but that was when Schnyder was still slumping.) And then Clijsters Senior faces Henin-Hardenne.

Still, it looks like a draw where most of the seeds should do pretty well.
Though if you're the sort of person who just wants interesting matches, and not big names, there is a lot here that is interesting. For example, Venus Williams's opening-round opponent will be either Daja Bedanova or Maja Matevzic. Bedanova is higher-ranked, and stronger, but she's in perhaps the worst slump of her slump-filled career. And Matevzic isn't a good player to end a slump against, because she's left-handed, with a great deal of variety, and doesn't give you pace to feed off.

The Rankings.

If you can't guess who will be #1 on the WTA next week -- well, all we can say is, you aren't getting all you should out of Daily Tennis. Serena Williams will of course remain firmly atop the WTA heap. And sister Venus will remain #2.

Below that, things get a little hotter. Indeed, Venus may need to think about her #2 ranking soon. She leads #3 Kim Clijsters by more than 1300 points -- but she has Antwerp to defend, and Clijsters didn't play last year. Clijsters could cut that gap in half at this tournament.

For that matter, Justine Henin-Hardenne could put some heat on Clijsters. Because she has points to defend and Clijsters doesn't, she can't grab the #3 spot. But she could make it fairly close.

And there is a real slugging match between Daniela Hantuchova and Amelie Mauresmo for the #5 ranking. Mauresmo could have had it at Paris, but she lost to Serena Williams. Still, she's only 30 points behind Daniela Hantuchova. Mauresmo has more to defend, but not that much more.

Although Lindsay Davenport is not playing, it appears that her #8 spot is fairly secure. Jelena Dokic can pass her, but it appears she needs to win Antwerp to do that. And Dokic hasn't won a tournament this strong in well over a year. Dokic can overtake Seles, though, either if Seles fails to defend her title (in which case Dokic is a lock) or by making roughly the semifinal.

Other players with a lot on the line are Tamarine Tanasugarn, last year's Doha finalist, who could lose the Top 30 ranking she just gained; Daja Bedanova, who runs a real risk of dropping below #40; Patty Schnyder, who might lose the #13 ranking if Magdalena Maleeva does well; and Alicia Molik, who made the Doha semifinal last year but isn't in a main draw this week.

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by keta
:hearts: :hearts: Aww Does anyone have any pictures of Beauty now??? And Pfttt RT she always steals or wants the same as kim!!;)

LOL

I should be able to post new pics this evening (cross fingers nothing comes in between).

keta
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM
:kiss: Thanks Ingrid! :)

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:21 PM
:bounce: 6-3, 6-2 :bounce:

although it wasn't easy at all! Kim had to work for this win!

Kim looked great in her "Belgian" colours outfit :cool:
and... Lleyton seems to have hurried to be there in time for her first singles today! :hearts:

Kim has also presented a gift (a cristal vase) to Sabine Appelmans for what she did for Kim as her WTA-mentor when Kim just started at the Tour.

Kim praised Sabine but got a lot of praise from Sabine in return: Sabine saying that she learned more from Kim than Kim from her. She especially mentionned the way Kim handled pressure, stayed herself,... Sabine offered Kim a cristal gift (symbolising a handshake) presented in a little box with black velvet inside.
This little ceremony with Kim and Sabine was taped for WTA purposes, so it was partly in English.

duck
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Yes she did. Casanova played well and Kim was a bit slow out of the blocks. Still it was a good match to have first up. Gave her a bit of practice. She will have to pick her game up a notch or two.

She looked very fit (esp in comparison to Casanova) and had a stunning black outfit on with little red and black slashes on the sleeve and skirt. So smart and patriotic and it fitted her like a glove.

Ll was there. Nothing to say but :drool: :drool:

angele87
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Well done Kim :bounce: :worship:

Hawk
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
LOL @ Jelena wanting the dog...keep your eye on Beauty Kim ;)

Congrats on the win Kim! :bounce:

angele87
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:31 PM
:angel: at Kim and Sabine :D

Lleyton :hearts: :hearts:

pruts
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:38 PM
great match!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:rolleyes: @ jellena

Bigkimfan
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Great match Kim!!!!!!!! You played veryyyyyyyyyy good!:bounce:

angele87
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Soon Jelena will be saying that she wants Lleyton as well :o

pruts
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM
LOL:D

angele87
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Kim Clijsters cruises into quarterfinals of Diamond Games

Associated Press
Feb. 11, 2003 3:30 p.m.
ANTWERP, Belgium (AP)—
Belgian star Kim Clijsters swept past Myriam Casanova 6-3, 6-2, but sister Elke Clijsters failed to make it a family double at the Diamond Games on Tuesday, losing to seventh-seeded Swiss Patty Schnyder 6-2, 6-3.
Second-seeded Kim Clijsters needed just 50 minutes to sweep into the quarterfinals of the US$585,000 event, using power and pace to beat her Swiss opponent.

Clijsters, who reached the semifinals of the Australian Open last month, struggled early but quickly regained her confidence in front of a home crowd of 5,000 at the Sports Palace.

"I had to get used to playing indoor again, but it feels fine," she said.

Teenager Elke, a wild-card entry at the tournament, was no match for the experienced Schnyder, who reached the second round.

Kim Clijsters, who has won three of her four last tournaments, is ranked third in the world and could meet top-seeded Venus Williams in Sunday's final at the Sports Palace.

Clijsters had to withdraw from last year's debut edition of the tournament because of the flu and is bent on adding a title at home.

Williams opens the defense of her title on Wednesday against Maja Matevzic of Slovenia.

Williams returned to the Diamond Games event to vie for the gold, diamond-encrusted racket worth about US$870,000 which goes to the first triple winner in any five-year span.

In other first round play, Belgian Els Callens downed Dally Randriantefy of Madagascar 6-1, 6-2, while Zuzana Ondraskova of the Czech Republic defeated France's Emilie Loit 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-3.

Another Frenchwoman, No. 8-seed Nathalie Dechy, beat Luxembourg's Claudine Schaul 6-4, 6-3 and Janette Husarova of Slovakia breezed past German Vanessa Henke 6-1, 6-1.

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by angele87
Clijsters had to withdraw from last year's debut edition of the tournament because of the flu and is bent on adding a title at home.

Back for a minute from watching Ai vs Dokic...

Thanks for this first report, Angele!

Although what the hell is this writer doing? :rolleyes: the flu! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I bet Kim wished she had nothing else than the flu last year, geez!

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM
More from what Kim said in her post-match interview tonight:

"I didn't play since the Australian Open, therefore I had to adapt from playing outdoors to indoors.
It's like heaven to play here." (btw crowd of 5000)

from article from the tourney's website:

Feb. 11, 2003
by Jos Segaert, translated by Ingrid

Kim Clijsters : "I got the creeps because of the (warm) reception here"

Kim didn't even need one hour to take the measure of Myriam Casanova. The Limburg girl defeated her young Swiss opponent 6-3, 6-2.

“I had to get used to it a bit”, Kim admitted afterwards. “I was immediately broken and therefore didn't come so easily into rhythm. Casanova is a very good player. She hits hard and precise, but misses a bit of fitness. I am glad that this first step is taken.”

Kim was wearing a cool black-yellow-red outfit. “For my first big appearance in Antwerp I wanted to show that I am attached to the Belgian colours. I certainly will wear the same outfit for the Fed Cup in Bree. It fits well and looks nice.”

Lleyton Hewitt definetely must have thought that too. He arrived yesterday in Belgium. The couple will only leave for Scottsdale on Feb 23. Hopefully she'll be rid of her cold that is bothering her since Tuesday."

Come-on-kim
Feb 11th, 2003, 07:50 PM
CONGRATS KIM:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:36 PM
More from the tourney's website:

Lleyton is in Belgium

Feb 11, 2003
translated by Ingrid

Kim Clijsters can count on yet some extra support. Her Australian boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt arrived in Antwerp on Tuesday morning. The men's world number one will stay in Belgium for two/three weeks. Quite a timing, Valentine is coming up...

;)

Cilla
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Jelena Dokic immediately announced she wanted a similar dog.

LMAO! Copycat :rolleyes: :p

Well Done Kimmie :kiss: I loved the new outfit. She was a bit sluggish but she'll only improve as the tournie goes on :) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Sheme Elke didn't win though :(

The men's world number one will stay in Belgium for two/three weeks. Quite a timing, Valentine is coming up...;)
;) I'm sure they'll enjoy valentines day very much ;)

:p

Lleyton looked so :drool: :hearts: he was so adorable and Eurosport actually kept the camera on him for a long time :hearts: :bounce:

possie
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:56 PM
I'm a bit confused.....Kim did or didn't have the flu last year :confused: :confused: :confused: ???

Hope Kim and Lleyton have a nice Valentine's Day together :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: !!!!

Cilla
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Soon Jelena will be saying that she wants Lleyton as well :o

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by possie
I'm a bit confused.....Kim did or didn't have the flu last year :confused: :confused: :confused: ???

No she didn't. She had major health problems; mainly with her shoulder and her back. Some journalists better should get their facts together... :rolleyes:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Hope Kim and Lleyton have a nice Valentine's Day together :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: !!!!

I think somehow they will ;)

(and Lleyton can still go shopping in Antwerp if need be... it's the city of diamonds anyway.)

and Hi Cilla! :wavey:

Cilla
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:06 PM
:wavey: Ingrid!

here's another article from the BBC, I'm afraid it goes with the flu story too :o

Clijsters coasts into quarters

Diamond Games

Second seed Kim Clijsters coasted into the quarter-finals in front of her home crowd in Antwerp with a convincing 6-3 6-2 victory against Myriam Casanova.

But younger sister Elke failed to make it a family double, when she crashed out 6-2 6-3 to Switzerland's Patty Schnyder.
Clijsters Sr was in confident mood from the outset of her match, taking just 50 minutes to despatch of her opponent.
But afterwards she revealed she had suffered with from early tournament rust.

Clijsters Sr, who had to pull out of last year's event with flu, said: "I had to get used to playing indoor again, but it feels fine."
She now remains on course to meet Venus Williams in the final.

LOL @ Clijsters Jnr and Snr It makes Kim sound so old :p

~|Naomi|~
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Kim may have had the flu last year but it wasn't the reason she couldn't play in Antwerp, that was cause she had her shoulder injury

possie
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for clearing the flu thing up. God, imagine what the world would be like if journalists actually told the truth, took both sides of stories into account and were'nt so quick to blame! But, then the planets would probably collide and the sea would boil over with blood!! Oh well, there's my random thoughts for the day!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks for clearing the flu thing up. God, imagine what the world would be like if journalists actually told the truth, took both sides of stories into account and were'nt so quick to blame! But, then the planets would probably collide and the sea would boil over with blood!! Oh well, there's my random thoughts for the day!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

ROFL

we would have less :rolleyes: , for sure ;)

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
Kim may have had the flu last year but it wasn't the reason she couldn't play in Antwerp, that was cause she had her shoulder injury

She really didn't have the flu at that time; she was running between doctor's cabinets to determine how serious her injury was, and the Antwerp tournament (as a visitor and promotor of the new event).

Cilla
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Kim Clijsters lives up to expectations 11/02/03

Kim Clijsters is the first player who qualified for the quarter finals of the Proximus Diamond Games. Clijsters topped Casanova in two sets.

On her arrival in Antwerp, Kim Clijsters was welcomed as a true princess. The extra pressure which came along with such a warm welcoming made Clijsters lose her serving game to the promising Casanova. With a re-break, however, Clijsters found her pace and took the first set 6-3.

In the second set, Casanova came up with some awesome winners but it was Clijsters 'power and coolness which brought victory to the Belgian.

Kim Clijsters is the first player to book her berth in the quarter finals. Clijster thought the audience was great and based on the enthusiastic reactions of the crowd we can conclude that the feeling was mutual.

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:21 PM
a little quote from Agence France Presse tonight:

"Mais le score ne révèle pas vraiment le déroulement de la partie. Myriam m'a posé des problèmes. C'est une joueuse très talentueuse promise à un bel avenir", a concédé la 3e joueuse mondiale, supportée à Anvers par son fiancé, Lleyton Hewitt.

------

Someone should tell Lleyton as he still doesn't have a clue :p

Cilla
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:22 PM

ROTFLMAO :p Maybe that's why Lleyt was so fidgety when the match was over :p

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Hayden's_Sheila
ROTFLMAO :p Maybe that's why Lleyt was so fidgety when the match was over :p

LOL that must be it :D

possie
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:37 PM

Very funny !!!!!!

Feb 11th, 2003, 10:03 PM
a little quote from Agence France Presse tonight:

"Mais le score ne révèle pas vraiment le déroulement de la partie. Myriam m'a posé des problèmes. C'est une joueuse très talentueuse promise à un bel avenir", a concédé la 3e joueuse mondiale, supportée à Anvers par son fiancé, Lleyton Hewitt.

------

LMAO! It's "fiance" in almost every article now

Elke
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Just got back from Antwerp, had a great time.
It's too late already to write a report, but I'll do it ASAP.
Crossed Lleyton without knowing it!:o:sad:

The Kimmatch was not really exciting, but good to see her play irl.
The Dokic-Sugyiama was a very good match...
Later...:wavey:

angele87
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Details Elke, details!! Plus :( for not knowing it was Lleyton... are you going back to the tournament this week? If so I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances to see him again :kiss:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Hey being an aussie we don't find out the scores ova here, so can any1 tell me where I can find the scores live on the internet, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanxs!!!

anvlas
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:14 AM
www.proximusdiamondgames.be
(you can select your language)

marcria
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Hi
You could also find them live on the site of Eurosport:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/sport_0_S57.htm

:)

Fieke
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Or try this site: www.tennisinfo.be (http://www.tennisinfo.be)
The home page is in Dutch, but on the right side there is a link to live scoring from the tournament. This site is actually better than the official site, as it gives point by point scoring, while the official site only gives game by game scoring.

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Ok, as was to be expected, more from Kim's interviews yesterday:

Source: La Libre Belgique, Feb. 12, 2003

by Olivier Schoonejans, translation by Ingrid

"What an atmosphere. The crowd is fantastic. It has really helped me in this match. The cheers in the Sportpaleis went straight to my heart!"

"I was already missing Australia when I arrived here, because of the temperature. It's a lot colder here than the 45°C when I left Melbourne. I was missing Belgium though. I am happy to see my sis again, my friends, family,... I will take a bit of time for myself here. I do some shopping, watch football and I cook... at least, I am learning to cook." :D

Kim, always smiling, wants to enjoy her current life.
"As long as I enjoy myself on court I am satisfied then. I am aware of the extraordinary life I have. I am surrounded by nice people, I travel a lot and I have an exciting lifestyle. Also sentimentally, for that matter. :angel: :D
That's why I don't like to get married now."

The Limburg girl admits she is superstituous.
"I like to repeat the same things before a match. I try to eat the same thing, to warm-up in the same way,..." :o

END

duck
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Ok, as was to be expected, more from Kim's interviews yesterday:

Source: La Libre Belgique, Feb. 12, 2003

by Olivier Schoonejans, translation by Ingrid

"What an atmosphere. The crowd is fantastic. It has really helped me in this match. The cheers in the Sportpaleis went straight to my heart!"

"I cook... at least, I am learning to cook."

"As long as I enjoy myself on court I am satisfied then. I am aware of the extraordinary life I have. I am surrounded by nice people, I travel a lot and I have an exciting lifestyle. Also sentimentally, for that matter. Thats' why I don't like to get married now."

Ll is obviously not up to speed in the egg-boiling department. We should get him Delia Smith's 'How to Cook' (This cookbook for total idiots which told you how to make toast and tell when water is boiling). Kim should not have to do all the cooking!

They won't get married for years. They are far too young imo. It sounds like she expects everything to change completely when she gets married.

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:50 AM
"As long as I enjoy myself on court I am satisfied then. I am aware of the extraordinary life I have. I am surrounded by nice people, I travel a lot and I have an exciting lifestyle. Also sentimentally, for that matter. :angel: :D
That's why I don't like to get married now."

This quote should go down in the ever-growing list of Kim excuses :rolleyes: :p

Sorry to the lleykis but I had to translate this one...

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by duck
Ll is obviously not up to speed in the egg-boiling department. We should get him Delia Smith's 'How to Cook' (This cookbook for total idiots which told you how to make toast and tell when water is boiling).

LOL, good idea

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:02 AM
another thing in Belgian media:

Lleyton arrived on Tuesday morning at 9.30 at Zaventem airport. Kim told the press that it wasn't a valentine's surprise. They will leave together for Scottsdale on Feb 23.

(source: VUM newspapers, Feb 12, 2003)

keta
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:07 AM
:D :) GOOO KIMMY!! :bounce:

Thanks for all the articles!!!:kiss:
:( :rolleyes: Kimmmmmmmmm, What will she say next she doesnt want to get married to beacsue........................ :p

LLeyton would prolly be able to cook a BBQ thats about it thougH! :p Delia Smith's 'How to Cook' woudl be a good Idea! ;)

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Kim is elected as best Belgian sports woman by the readers of a Flemish children's newspaper "Jommekeskrant".

This isn't the first time btw (see my report on Clijsters City last year) that she received the "Golden Flip" award. (pic see pics thread)

Kim's reaction: "Zo'n prijs doet me echt heel veel plezier", vertelde Kim stralend. "Ik heb als kind alle Jommekesalbums gelezen, en zo'n Gouden Flip brengt mooie herinneringen naar boven. En dit is een prijs die echt van de kinderen komt, wat het voor mij toch extra speciaal maakt."

translated= "I really like such an award, I have read all the Jommekes albums when I was a kid and such a Golden Flip brings nice memories back. And this is an award that really comes from kids, that makes it extra special to me though."

[own note: the 'Jommekes' are Flemish comics for children]

(source: Jommekeskrant, Feb. 12, 2003)

KaseyL
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:33 AM
and more:

a quote from Venus Williams about Kim:

(source: La dernière Heure, Feb. 12, 2003)

by Serge Fayat, translated by Ingrid

Q: Martina Hingis has stated that Kim Clijsters is the only player for the time being who could break your hegemony. What do you think about that?

Venus: "I don't know what she has said. Sincerely, I even wasn't aware that she had decided to end her career. It's a pitty but I assume that her personal happiness comes first. And concerning Kim, it is obvious that she is a very good player. These good results she recently had; that's because she doesn't get worried about others and focusses on herself. Even when I wanted Serena to win the semi finals at the Australian Open, honesty obliges me to tell that Kim deserved to win. :cool: She has a nice chance to win this tournament but I know from experience that you have to be at 2.000% for that to happen."

END

--------

and then this:

Some creative headline by newspaper Le Soir today:

(translated): "Casanova couldn't charm Kim"

nothing new in the article though.

Cilla
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM
"Casanova couldn't charm Kim"

That's a :cool: headline ;) Thanks for the articles Ingrid :) More Kim excuses :p :p

angele87
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:43 AM
:rolleyes: Kim and her excuses :p

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM
well, yesterday I went to antwerp, and it was great!! Kim was dressed in the belgian colours! (a lot better btw than her last outfit) there was really a big crowd, and everybody had a great time! incl mexican wave, people shouting 'c'mon kim', 'komaan' and somebody even shouted 'lleyton!' :D
he was sitting next to kim's father lei, they were talking and laughing. Lleyton looked great and relaxed. But kim was the real star of the evening. On matchball, she wanted more shouts and cheering, so she just arranged her shoes :D
then after her match she handed over some kind of prize to Sabine Appelmans. THey had to speak english because it was taped for other countries too, and at one moment they refused to speak english, so they just spoke dutch... funny moment...

after this match, i've seen ai-jelena, at first I rooted for jelena, but she's (to put it nice) not a friendly person... she made a ballgirl ridiculous ( the crowd booed ) and she went to the referee like 6 times. Ai was sooo nice, and everybody cheered her on. Afterwards the presentor asked her whether she would think about changing nationality. She said 'why not'. SHe 's really nice!
I saw jelena's boyfriend too... he's nothing compared to Lleyton ;)

kit
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Well done Kim,but I think she played not her best tennis yesterday.The match was great and Lleyton was there:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Come on Kim!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

valentine
Feb 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM
I was there too!!!
I was just behind kim's box and Elke often came near to me because one of her friends was there!
Lleyton was so cute...but we couldn't take any picture of him..(but I took!)
I like her outfit! It was so nice...I think I'll come back on saturday!!!:bounce: :bounce:

baico
Feb 12th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Fieke
Or try this site: www.tennisinfo.be (http://www.tennisinfo.be)
The home page is in Dutch, but on the right side there is a link to live scoring from the tournament. This site is actually better than the official site, as it gives point by point scoring, while the official site only gives game by game scoring.

ja dat is wel leuke site ;-)

Fieke
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by baico
ja dat is wel leuke site ;-)

De waarheid mag gezegd worden hé ;)

kit
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
You're so lucky!!!:angel: :angel: :angel:
Thanks for the report!!

-Fienesse-
Feb 12th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by valentine
I was there too!!!
I was just behind kim's box and Elke often came near to me because one of her friends was there!
Lleyton was so cute...but we couldn't take any picture of him..(but I took!)
I like her outfit! It was so nice...I think I'll come back on saturday!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Can you take pictures during the match (with flash or without)?

angele87
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Glad you all had a good time :D

pruts
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Maybe it is a stupid quetion but what is the flu?

Elke
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:40 PM
flu= griep.
Maar ze had moeten ff geven owv haar schouder, dus dit klopt niet.:rolleyes:

duck
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:42 PM
it's short for influenza.

Influenza: The Disease
Influenza (the flu)

Influenza Viruses
Influenza, also known as the flu, is a contagious disease that is caused by the influenza virus. It attacks the respiratory tract in humans (nose, throat, and lungs). The flu is different from a cold. Influenza usually comes on suddenly and may include these symptoms:

Fever
Headache
Tiredness (can be extreme)
Dry cough
Sore throat
Nasal congestion
Body aches
These symptoms are usually referred to as "flu-like symptoms."

Anyone Can Get the Flu, But the Disease Is More Severe for Some People
Most people who get influenza will recover in one to two weeks, but some people will develop life-threatening complications (such as pneumonia) as a result of the flu. Millions of people in the United States — about 10% to 20% of U.S. residents — will get influenza each year. An average of about 36,000 people per year in the United States die from influenza, and 114,000 per year have to be admitted to the hospital as a result of influenza. Anyone can get the flu (even healthy people), and serious problems from influenza can happen at any age. People age 65 years and older, people of any age with chronic medical conditions, and very young children are more likely to get complications from influenza. Pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus and ear infections are three examples of complications from flu. The flu can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have the flu, and people with chronic congestive heart failure may have worsening of this condition that is triggered by the flu.

Elke
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:48 PM
I was there too, yesterday evening. Was also in that area, behind Kims box. I had a great time, although the match was not what I expected... it was over way too soon.
But Ai and Jelena played a great match!

You can certainly take pics, you don't even have to use a flash, it's clear enough.

per4ever
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:52 PM
valentine, where were you sitting???

I was sitting the row behind the players box...with Kim's mum in front of me

Aussie_Kim
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:30 AM
You guys r soo lucky! I'd luv 2 b there but alas I'm stuck in Aus with no tennis news. All that's been on the sport news lately is Aus. beating poms in soccer & golf. I'm havin tennis withdrawal symptoms! So all these reports r great @ least I know what's goin on.
Thanxs again!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Go Kim

Micky
Feb 13th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Aussie_Kim i know what your going through, if i see one more cricket story i will die. we get no tennis down here right now! so all your information is great. thanx everyone :kiss:

possie
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I'm suffering "tennis withdrawal" too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:38 AM
:eek: Wow; that's in-depht info, Duck! :kiss: for your thoroughness.

:rolleyes: Kim and her excuses :p

More on that one:

Flemish public station TV1 brought another excuse yesterday, one we have heard before: that a wedding takes so much preparation and they don't have the time for such a thing. :rolleyes: :D

keta
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:42 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thats the worst excuse of all because people would be litterally lining up to help her preapre for the wedding! Cmon kim youve gotta do better than that! :p ;)

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
:bounce: On another note: :bounce:

Kim will be presented with her Sports woman of the Year trophy tonight, after her doubles match. (Looks like Leo has given up on playing the stand-in for Kim at such events: organisers seems to have to wait 'til Kim is back in Belgium nowadays :D ) Not that I am complaining :p .... photo opportunity tonight for all Kim fans! :)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by keta
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thats the worst excuse of all because people would be litterally lining up to help her preapre for the wedding! Cmon kim youve gotta do better than that! :p ;)

LOL yep, lame excuses... tsts Kim :p think I should give her a proposal from the CCL'ers that we'll take care of it :p what do you think? :D

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM
OK, sports talk again:

Kim's QF should be tomorrow night, while Justine should get the afternoon session, according to my info.

keta
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Most definetly Ingrid!! No matter where they want the wedding to be there will be someone who lives there!:p KIm DEFINETLY needs to here our proposal! :p;) :)

:( :o Night session for me means early in the mroning! :(

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Something I haven't seen here posted yet:

Highlight from an article re Ai

Kim is unbelievable!

Source: La Dernière heure, Feb 13, 2003

translated by Ingrid

Ai Sugiyama (WTA 26) isn't just the doubles partner of Kim. The Japonese player from Tokyo, her first name means love, is also an excellent singles player. "I am very happy to have Kim as partner. She is very sweet and very mature. We really became friends. When she was in Japan, I also have taken her to dinner at several occassions. Moreover, above all, she plays a devilish good tennis. It doesn't surprise me that the visitors of the WTA site have declared her the best indoors player in the world. She is unbelievable since the US Open..."

Next to this quote re Kim the article mentionned that Ai has also a passion for football. She is a friend of a player of Racing Genk [a Belgian football club from Kim's area], Takayuki Suzuki. She knows him since 5 years.

angele87
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Nice of Ai to say those things :D It's good that she and Kim are good friends and not just doubles partners :)

:D for Kim being presented her trophy! Maybe she'll thank Lleyton in her speech *crosses fingers* :angel:

:rolleyes: at yet another excuse :p

valentine
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by per4ever
valentine, where were you sitting???

I was sitting the row behind the players box...with Kim's mum in front of me

I was sitting just behind KIm's box...I can't tell you more...maybe you was sitting next to me...!!!(do you speak french?)

per4ever
Feb 13th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I'm flemish..so speaking dutch. But I can speak french ;)

May be you were sitting right beside me or behind me :eek:

pruts
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM
THX Elke :kiss:

baico
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Fieke
De waarheid mag gezegd worden hé ;)

dat horen we graag :)

kit
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Come on Kim!!!Good Luck,tomorrow!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lynnsha
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:07 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Kim and Ai won 62 61 :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Congrats on the doubles win Kim and Ai :D Hopefully Elke and Kirsten will win their next match so we can have the sisters play each other :bounce:

Cilla
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Well Done Kim & Ai! :worship:

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:35 PM

:D for Kim being presented her trophy! Maybe she'll thank Lleyton in her speech *crosses fingers* :angel:

sorry, no such luck but well, Lleyton was there so that's just fine to me :hearts:

Kim said that this fourth time she received this trophy meant the most for her as she had such a difficult year. She was really touched. :hearts:

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Good entertaining doubles :bounce: but ow for poor Ai her eye!:sad:

Kim was so extremely nice to her when Ai was hit straight in the eye: rushed immediately courtside to get some ice out of the fridge, rushed back to Ai to give it, then she got a towel for Ai, put it on Ai's back, always staying close to Ai :hearts:

Hope Ai will have no problems tomorrow.

possie
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Poor Ai :( . The opposition hit a ball and it hit her in the eye :confused: ? Kim's so nice looking after her :D !

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Yep, and very hard too

Kim was very fast in her reaction! Great!

possie
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I wish we got coverage of the games down here in OZ :mad: I'm suffering Kim withdrawal symptoms not seeing her play !!!

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:42 PM
I should add that Kim seemed to be really touched by the honour she received.
It was the fourth time in a row she got this trophy of Sports Woman of the year but she said this one was the dearest to her after her difficult year.

People so cheered for her, she looked and sounded really emotional by all these cheers of the crowd out there! Lleyton must have been proud too.

She added that she would give these trophies a good place in the new house they are building.

possie
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Did she thank Lleyton, or say anything about him in her speech?

lleytnkim
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks Ingrid! :) Congrats to Kimmy :kiss: Lleyton was there huh?! Gee, I'm shocked ;) :p
*Pretends to be QG* Did Lleyton kiss her when she accepted her award? :p
Ingrid are ya gonna make screen caps for us? :p

possie
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:02 AM
I feel :o , but what excatly are screen caps? Pictures?

angele87
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Congrats Kim and Ai :D :bounce: :worship:

:angel: for Kim taking care of Ai! :kiss:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks everyone!
Now I can find out the scores quicker & don't have 2 try & go 2 sleep when I dont no if Kim won.

Much appreciated from deprived aussie.

Come-on-kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Ingrid, where did you watch the match? Were you there?

Poor Ai, I hope that it's nothing bad!!

Kim is so nice!!

schris
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:49 AM
GOOD LUCK KIM

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM
hopes for today:
1. kim wins her match and is in semis against justine (or ai, I like her too)
2. elke and kirsten win their match, and play against kim and ai, wouldn't that be great
3. venus wins (because i want that venus-kim final)
4. nathalie dechy wins her match

1 and 2 are definitely most important!!!!!
good luck clijsters-girls !

Pinkie
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:11 PM
According to today's Gazet van Antwerpen/Belag Van Limburg, Kim and Lleyton have not left their hotel room to much because "kim doesn't not want to take any chances with that cold she has" (sure :p if I had Lleyton to myself, I wouldn't leave the hotel room much either :p ). They have watched a few matches from an empty radio commentary box, so that they could watch the tennis in al peace and quiet. The headline of the article said "Kim and Lleyton hiding out in commentary box" :p

Pinkie
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:18 PM
And since everything Kim touches "turns to gold," another newspaper has an article on Beauty Mania. Turns out everyone is going crazy about Beauty and of course it is reason for Lei Clijsters to whine ;)

He had 5 photogrpahers show up just this week to take pictures of Beauty and somebody wanted to do a Beauty web site. He suggested an alternative, "I have 24 rabbits and 3 chickens in my garden. But they weren't interested in that." :p

Here's the article in Dutch. I didn't have time to translate the whole thing. Nothing major aside from what I did translate. I only have the electronic version, but in the print copy there is supposed to be a picture of Kim and Beauty.

14-02-2003; Het Laatste Nieuws

Hondsdolheid treft België

Lei Clijsters «Vijf fotografen kwamen aan de deur voor Beauty. Ik gaf hen een alternatief. Ik heb in de tuin 24 konijnen en drie kippen lopen. Maar daar waren ze niet in geïnteresseerd»

ANTWERPEN Bree heeft er nog een queen bij. Beauty, de Engelse buldog van Kim Clijsters. Vader Lei dacht dat hij alles gezien had met zijn dochter. Maar nu wordt zijn deur platgelopen voor de hond. Aanvragen voor foto-sessies, zelfs voor een eigen website. Lei zucht: «Het is niet meer normaal.»

WALTER WAUTERS

Alles wat Kim Clijsters aanraakt, verandert in goud. Iedereen wil zich graag met haar associëren, want succes is gegarandeerd. Vader Lei heeft het op zich genomen de parasieten af te slaan. Voor het welzijn en de zielsrust van zijn dochter. Het meterschap van een baggerschip, de beeltenis van een postzegel, de postzakken vol smeekbeden om geld en bezoekjes: de verhalen zijn intussen genoegzaam bekend. Maar nu wordt ook Beauty bestookt.

«We hadden hem mee naar Antwerpen genomen omdat Kim hem zo lang had moeten missen», aldus Lei. «Hij zit intussen alweer thuis.» Ver weg van de paparazzi.

«Ik heb al vijf fotografen aan de deur gehad die foto's wilden nemen van de hond», zucht pa Clijsters. «Ik begrijp dat het doet verkopen, maar dat is echt erover. Ik heb hen een alternatief voorstel gedaan. Ik heb in de tuin 24 konijnen en drie kippen lopen. Maar daar waren ze blijkbaar niet in geïnteresseerd.»

En het gaat nog verder. «Ik kreeg telefoon van telers van Engelse buldogs. De vraag swingt de pan uit. Iedereen wil zo'n hond. Een internetspecialist deed zelfs het voorstel een website te creëren over Beauty. Met dagelijks geüpdatet beelden, zodat de fans zijn groei en zijn ontwikkeling op de voet kunnen volgen.»

geen fenomeen

Is hij dan niet een klein beetje fier dat zijn dochter zo een respons losmaakt in België?

«Als er 6.000 kinderen op de clinic afkomen is dat natuurlijk een goeie zaak voor het Belgische tennis», geeft Lei toe. «Maar als mijn vrouw een handtekening zet op iemands gips en dat staat in de gazet, dan zie ik niet meteen de link naar het tennis. Zes op tien Belgen hebben een hond: wordt daar zoveel misbaar rond gemaakt?»

Neen, maar die zes op tien zijn geen professionele tennissers. En honden zijn blijkbaar een fenomeen geworden in het damescircuit. «Ik ken twee speelsters die hun hond overal meesleuren», aldus Lei. «Navratilova en Sanchez. En nog een stuk of wat anderen die een hond thuis hebben, zoals de Williams-zussen, zoals Kim. Dat maakt in totaal niet eens tien op 200 speelsters. Als dat een fenomeen is, waar gaan we naartoe ?»

duck
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie
According to today's Gazet van Antwerpen/Belag Van Limburg, Kim and Lleyton have not left their hotel room to much because "kim doesn't not want to take any chances with that cold she has"

Tut, tut. She should go out more. Air-conditioning is very bad for colds;)

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Hi!
Does any1 no what the time difference is between Aus & Belgium? On the site it has what time the matches r but I can't work out what time they r here! Thanks?

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
GO KIM GO KIM GO KIM

keta
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:10 PM
7 Hours i think Well with EST summer time its 10 and in WA there 3 hours behind at the moment soo i think thats right http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ That always hels me for the tournies in diff places! :)

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks Keta!
I was gonna wait up 2 find out how Kim went but it will probably b 2 late here. Also I really want E & K 2 win doubles not Jelena!!

:bounce: :bounce: Go Kim:D
:bounce: :bounce: Go Elke:D

keta
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Thats okay!
Night!

Elleke
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:12 PM
I really need to post in here again!
good luck Kim in the quarters and doubles semis! I hope it'll be against Elke&kirsten !
Does anyone know if LA2 will show the doubles this evening? they better do!

sanstamtam
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:22 PM
I just saw the match Henin-Suguyama and after the match they call Pierre-Yves and he gave to Justine flowers for Valentine's day.

Maybe this evening they'll call Lleyton to give flowers to Kim:hearts: :hearts:

Stefke
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:39 PM
That would be so wonderful:hearts::hearts:
But I don't think Lleyton would do that because he wants to keep their relationship private:(but I'm sure he will give Kim everything she deserves off court:p;)

budgirlbz
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:14 PM
can anyone update us what's the score or is she playing now???

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:51 PM
She's playing now! Last time I checked it was 6-5 in Kim's favour looks like it gonna b real close though.

Go Kim!!!

Maxine
Feb 14th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Kim won the first set 7-5 and it's 1-1 in the second, but for live scores you are better going over to the live scores thread in the Antwerp forum!;)

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Yay Kim Won:D
7-5 6-1
I was getting pretty nervous in the 1st set but it all turned out good!! Did any1 go? It would've been a god match I think? But sadly I'm a deprived isolated aussie who has 2 b contentd with the internet!!

Kornelija
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Kim won 7-5 6-1. the second set was just great. Strokes were perfect as everything else. Typical Kimmie.;) ;)

duck
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:35 PM
It was all Kim really. Lots of UEs in the 1st set but at 4-5 down she really got it together and started playing much better and serving really well. Second set Schnyder just disappeared.
If you saw LL's match against Bogdanovitch in DC, it was a lot like that. V below par start for the home favourite but played well when he had to.

lleytnkim
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I don't see Lleyton giving Kim flowers after the match either. (but, never say never :p) He's just too shy and values his privacy. But like Stefke said, he'd do plenty more for Kim privately. ;) :p
According to today's Gazet van Antwerpen/Belag Van Limburg, Kim and Lleyton have not left their hotel room to much because "kim doesn't not want to take any chances with that cold she has"
tsk, tsk....yet another lame excuse Kimmy. :p Its alright, we understand you and Lleyton don't wanna leave your hotel room. No explanations necessary! :o ;) :p But seriously, I hope she's feeling better. :)

Thanks Tinne for the tidbit :kiss:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Did u watch the game? How did she look? I wanna no every thing! It's 3:30am here but I can't b bothered going 2 bed!
:bounce: Congrats Kim :bounce:
Good luck Elke!

pruts
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM
omg i'm so glad she won! i was so scared @ 4/2 in the first set.

Kornelija
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I actually saw on TV. At first Kim seemed to be abit tired and she was blowing her nose and that made commentators think she was ill. She wasn't playing very well in the beginning. And in the first set Schnyder was 5-3 up. Then Kim broke her serve and took 4 games in a row to win the first set 7-5. and the second set was nothing but easy walking for Kim. Schnyder seemed to be really tired and Kim was playing very consistent. She started hitting second serves aces!!! That was something!!!
Kim has a cold but she managed to get up nad turn this first set around. Now she should take a good rest before tomorrow's match with Justine.

GO GO KIM!!!:worship: :worship:

pruts
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:56 PM
She looked a bit sick and i think she was also a little bit nerveus
Carl Huybrechts give her flowers and sad it's valentine today and i hope lleyton didn'i forgot you:o ;)

kit
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah,Kim won!!!I think,she was a little bit nervous in the first set.It was so exciting.In the second she played very well.I hope,she wins against Justine tomorrow.Come on Kimmie!!!
And I hope Elke and Kirsten win their double.
Kim and Elke against each other!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Zoecrick
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know what the guy who gave Kim the flowers and KIM were saying on court im sorry for being ignorant but i dont understand Belbium thanxs!!

Stefke
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Kimmmmy!!!:bounce::)
Yes, she was really nervous in the first set, maybe her thoughts were with her valentine!!:hearts:
Well Kimmy, all those excuses!!:pShe can say it in such an innocent way:angel:but infact.....;):pUs, Lleykis, know what she means!!!:)

Come-on-kim
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Congrats Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck for tomorrow, I'll be there in het SportPaleis to cheer for you!!:bounce: :bounce:

angele87
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:27 PM
According to today's Gazet van Antwerpen/Belag Van Limburg, Kim and Lleyton have not left their hotel room to much because "kim doesn't not want to take any chances with that cold she has" (sure :p if I had Lleyton to myself, I wouldn't leave the hotel room much either :p ). They have watched a few matches from an empty radio commentary box, so that they could watch the tennis in al peace and quiet. The headline of the article said "Kim and Lleyton hiding out in commentary box" :p

:rolleyes: at Kim's reason for staying in the hotel room ;) I'm betting 10 bucks that Lleyton will have that cold in no time ;) :angel:

Stefke
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Zoecrick, I didn't understand it eather!:pI speak dutch but Kim's match only has been broadcasted on La Deux and they spoke French while Kim was talking so I didn't hear anything!!:(
Later tonight they're broadcasting it on tv1!! I will listen very carefully and give you a report!!:)

Cilla
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:50 PM
:rolleyes: at Kim's reason for staying in the hotel room ;) I'm betting 10 bucks that Lleyton will have that cold in no time ;) :angel:

:p It's more of a guarantee ya know how Lleyt gets those colds :p

Well Done Kim :D Too many UE's though in set 1 :( though Patty couldn't capitalize and Kim powered home ;)

Good Luck in singles Vs J2H and Doubles Vs RT/Bedanova :( :( Shame Elke and Kirsten didn't win :(

Thanks for the info Tinne :p

KaseyL
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Come-on-kim
Ingrid, where did you watch the match? Were you there?

Poor Ai, I hope that it's nothing bad!!

Kim is so nice!!

I was there, indeed.

KaseyL
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by sanstamtam
I just saw the match Henin-Suguyama and after the match they call Pierre-Yves and he gave to Justine flowers for Valentine's day.

Maybe this evening they'll call Lleyton to give flowers to Kim:hearts: :hearts:

No, he didn't.

The host, Carl Huybrechts, said to Kim that he had flowers for her, as it was valentine, and added he hoped Lleyton wouldn't object he'd kiss Kim three times. :p

KaseyL
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the article, Tine! :kiss:

LOL at the hiding out thing: in fact Lei and Kim did the same thing last year. I found that particularly funny back then. Last year I was at an evening match (one of Venus) when Lei and Kim had taken 'refuge' in one of these boxes too, at a certain moment people started to figure out they were hiding there, and then Kim waved to the crowd.:D But it was even more funny before they ended up in the box there. Lei was sitting there first, Kim just ran up and down from her mom's seat to the corridors, at a certain point she took a 'short cut' :p through the curtains to make signs to her mom, who was sitting in front of us then. I was just too late to take a pic of that. Really funny.

I'm sure Kim and Lleyton have a good time in that box this year. :)

KaseyL
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Aussie_Kim
Yay Kim Won:D
7-5 6-1
I was getting pretty nervous in the 1st set but it all turned out good!! Did any1 go? It would've been a god match I think? But sadly I'm a deprived isolated aussie who has 2 b contentd with the internet!!

I was there tonight (a fan for something LOL)

It wasn't such a good match at first, Kim was making too much errors, more the Kim like we have seen her in earlier days. Schnyder was just too good in the beginning.
However Kim fought back to level things, and as soon as she came in the match Schnyder was 'over and out': Kim started to play on a better level, still managed to take the first set, then uncertainty cringed into Schnyder's mind and it was all Kim in the driver's seat in the second set.

Schnyder left the place with sort of the same sour face like last year; big difference: Kim kept her away of the semis this time.

The crowd was really great; huge support for Kim, loud cheers, several mexican waves and all LOL. :cool: I think there were about 9000 in the crowd. :bounce: not many empty seats at all.

Kim said in her post-match interview on court that the crowd really helped her when she was behind in that first set. She still was suffering from her cold (I've seen she needed a handkerchief).

Other tidbits: Carl maes was watching the match too: he was sitting next to I think the vice-president of the WTA, the supervisor for European tournaments imo (forgotten her name but think it's a Geraldine... something :o ) Talked a lot, these two.

Also spotted in the crowd was former prime minister Dehaene of Belgium.

Lleyton was sitting next to Lei again, had his hand under his chin lots of times, as usual LOL. Also trying to keep himself invisible :p

Hawk
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Yay Kimmie!! :bounce: I was a little bit freaked cause I had to go out and the last score I had was 3-1 for Patty and Kim with a bunch of UE's :o Glad to see she picked it up ;) ..next target..juju :p

KaseyL
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:03 AM

ROFL @ excuses! As if they are going out a lot in other cases :D
LOL I wouldn't bet: lost money imo :D

Aussie_Kim
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Yay Kimmie!! :bounce: I was a little bit freaked cause I had to go out and the last score I had was 3-1 for Patty and Kim with a bunch of UE's :o Glad to see she picked it up ;) ..next target..juju :p

I hope she's playing betta 2day cos otherwise she has noo hope of winning, cos juju's playing pretty good @ the moment.

I was looking in the photos & Kim seemed 2 have a new bracelet on! Valentines present from a certain some1 perhaps?:hearts:

:worship: :worship: :worship:
:bounce: Go Kim beat juju! :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:15 AM
I was looking in the photos & Kim seemed 2 have a new bracelet on! Valentines present from a certain some1 perhaps?

lol :) which photo are you talkin about? is the braclet nice?

and when is Kimmy playing her semi?

Good Luck Kim!! :)

possie
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Thanks sooooooooooooo much for all the reports :bounce: :bounce: I am yet another deprived Aussie who would be lost without all you guys!! Thanks a bunch :bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Kim vs Justin @ 14.00 Belgian Time = 0.00 in Melbourne!!!
Go Kimmy!!!:bounce:

Bigkimfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:36 AM
It's going to be tough! But you can do it Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!:bounce: :bounce:

possie
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Thank's for telling us when Kim's singles match is......what time is she playing doubles :D :D ????

Elleke
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM
first match after her singles match already

possie
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Kim has to go straight from playing singles to playing doubles??? Hope she can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And win both!!! Go Kim :bounce: :bounce:

schris
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Good luck Kim, but this time I hope Justine will win :p

pruts
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:07 AM
c'mon kim beat her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:28 AM
kim is ill :sad:!
but she'll try to play!

Bigkimfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:34 AM
It's looking very bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kim is ill, she hasn't slept all night, she trained only 20 min. this morning...:sad: :sad: :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:23 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Zoecrick
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Kims just won first set 6-2!!! Yeah !!! Go Kimmie!!

schris
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Is she really sick ? :rolleyes: ;)

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Is she really sick

i think so, I don't thinkKim would say she was if she wasn't, that isn't her style

schris
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I know, it was a joke

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
oh oops:p

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Kimmie won YAY:)
Another final:D Good Luck for it and also your doubles semi and also let Lleyton take very good care of you tonight so you will be fit and healthy for your final tomorrow;)

Elleke
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM
good luck Kim in the final!!! and in your doublesmatch!

Bigkimfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:23 PM
wow!!!!!!!! Great match Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lynnsha
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Kim and Ai def. Dokic/Bedanova 6-2 6-0
:bounce: :bounce: GO KIM TAKE THE SINGLE AND THE DOUBLE TITLE:bounce: :bounce:

Sun
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Weeeeeee :bounce: That's all:)

Also, hey everyone! I don't normally post on the boards but I do read them quite frequently :wavey: and today I had a little question and somehow i thought you guys might know the answer *crosses fingers*

*drumroll*

Are you allowed to take pictures during the match cause on the tickets it says cameras are forbidden?

See you in Antwerp !!!

Elke
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:39 PM
:wavey: Sun!
You can certainly take pics, you may not us lashes, but it's clear enuogh!

Have fun!:D

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM
good luck twice tomorrow kim!!!! and get better
:worship: you're the best

Lleykimmy1
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:13 PM
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW KIM !! I'M SURE YOU CAN WIN BOTH TITLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

Hawk
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Congrats on the wins today Kim!! :D :kiss:

Wonderful effort even with being sick :worship:

angele87
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:31 PM
A little mistake in this article ;) Let's see if anybody can spot it :D

Clijsters dominates first Battle of Belgium, making Diamond Games final
2 hours, 8 minutes ago

By CONSTANT BRAND, Associated Press Writer

ANTWERP, Belgium - Kim Clijsters defeated fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-2, 7-6 Saturday to advance to the final of the Diamond Games.

Clijsters, ranked third on the WTA Tour, will face world No.2 Venus Williams (news - web sites) or No.5 Daniela Hantuchova in Sunday's battle for the diamond-encrusted trophy valued at US$870,000.

Defending champion Williams plays Hantuchova later on Saturday.

Clijsters moved quickly to take the first set, capitalizing on solid backhands against her Belgian compatriot.

But Henin-Hardenne, ever the fighter, came back late in the second set, storming to tie Clijsters 6-6, much to the delight of the 14,000-capacity crowd at the Sport Palace.

A resurgent Clijsters gave Henin-Hardenne no chance in the tie-break, taking it 7-3.

"I am happy to be through," said Clijsters, who was applauded by her fiancee and mens world No.1, Leyton Hewitt, who was in attendance to support Clijsters.

"I was a bit sick yesterday, this match was better than against Patty Schnyder in the quarterfinal," Clijsters said.

Henin-Hardenne, ranked fourth in the world, looked tired as the first set ended, and showed visible signs of frustration early in the second as Clijsters stuck to an efficient game plan, returning volleys with solid and controlled returns.

"I was nervous that's for sure," Henin-Hardenne acknowledged, adding that the pressure of playing in front of a home-town crowd, against Clijsters added to her tenseness.

She also added that while not an excuse for her loss, her right arm bothered her and was a bit sore.

"I was very frustrated. She would not let me do what I wanted," she said, noting that while she was "not dominated" by Clijsters, she praised her opponent for her "exceptional" play.

Henin-Hardenne lost her last showdown with Clijsters in Sydney, Australia in January 2-6, 3-6, and failed again to break her Belgian rival, who moved effortlessly across the court to return every volley.

As defending champion, Williams has most at stake this weekend. She won the inaugural edition of the US$585,000 event last year and is closing in on the ultimate target — the trophy goes to the first player to win the event three times in any five-year span.

"If I keep performing, the racket will be a great bonus," said Williams, who has already visited the gem district in Antwerp, the world's leading diamond center.

"It is certainly one of the most beautiful trophies on the circuit," Clijsters said.

Williams has most to fear from local star Clijsters. Both have yet to lose a set this week and are on target to meet in the final. The trophy, a golden racket, has diamonds all over the handle, alongside the frame and all over a tennis ball fixed in the middle.

Venus Williams is currently 4-0 over Hantuchova in head-to-heads and has stressed all week she fears no one in this tournament.

If Williams makes Sunday's final, she will play more than just one Belgian. The 14,000 places at the Sports Palace have already been sold out.

Cilla
Feb 15th, 2003, 05:44 PM
her fiancee and mens world No.1, Leyton Hewitt, who was in attendance to support Clijsters

Common mistake nowadays huh ;) :p And the missed an 'l' in Lleyton :p

Well Done Kim (and Ai) :bounce: Another singles and dubs final :worship:

kit
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Well done Kim!!!I didn't watch the match on TV because Euro didn't show it.:( :( :( I think the second set was very exciting,wasn't it???

kit
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM
And good luck Kim tomorrow.You can beat Venus!!!COME ON!!!
You can do it!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

NaturalBlues
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone! :wavey:

I went to the first semifinal this afternoon and took some pictures, I'll try to post them later on in the picture thread (hopefully it works, I'm not very good with the technical stuff ;) ).
I'm quite surprised to hear that there were rumours that they might cancell the doubles match because when the singles match was over Kim said something about going to eat some pasta and come back to play. She didn't look very sick at that time and they didn't mention anything about cancelling during the 'suitable rest'.

Anyway (this must be my longest post so far :p ) I had a great time, I'm definitely coming back next year.
GO KIM tomorrow and beat Venus (who wasn't playing that great against Daniella imho so Kim has a good chance)!

:bounce: :bounce:

NaturalBlues
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by kit
Well done Kim!!!I didn't watch the match on TV because Euro didn't show it.:( :( :( I think the second set was very exciting,wasn't it???

It was actually, Justine made less errors and the crowd was warming up (not sure wether they wanted juju to win or they just wanted to see a third set :angel: ).
But to be honest it was very clear that at this time Kim is the better player. Justine was mostly running after Kim's balls. ;)

Stefke
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM
:bounce::bounce:
:eek:Wow Kimmy you played so well:eek:
Maybe she wasn't sick and she didn't sleep so much cause of lley:o
No, Kim wouln't say that if it wasn't true:)
Tomorrow the final:bounce:
----->*Hoping for a Lleyki kiss if she wins!!*

NaturalBlues
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:25 PM
when does the final start (i'm too lazy to look it up) :o

Stefke
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:37 PM
14.00 Belgian time (=0.00 Aussi time)

NaturalBlues
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks! :D

possie
Feb 15th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well done Kim (and Ai).....singles AND doubles finals :bounce: :bounce: . I'm sure Lleyton will be taking extra good care of you (you can just imagine it can't you :angel: :angel: ) so you'll be better for tomorrow. Good luck :D :D . PS. I want a Lleyki kiss too :) :angel: !!!!

Sun
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for that answer Elke! :)

Come-on-kim
Feb 15th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Congrats Kimmie!! I'll post a report of my day tomorrow!!

I took pics too and I've got Kim's autograph!!

BTW, I'm also going tomorrow!! COME ON KIM

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Well done Kim and Ai for the doubles, You showed Jelena she shouldn't of stopped playing with you, but pft Ai is a better doubles player than her anyway:)

Come-on-kim
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:42 PM
BTW, I read in "La Dernière Heure" something from one of Fila's manager!

He told that Kim was the most important for us, because of the way she is, the way people see her! He said that she was even more important for them than Jennifer!

spiritfullfrog
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:51 PM
GO KIM!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
BEAT VENUS!!!

ClijstersHewitt
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:57 PM

But Henin-Hardenne, ever the fighter,

Shouldn't that be ever the choker? :p

~|Naomi|~
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:19 AM
He told that Kim was the most important for us, because of the way she is, the way people see her! He said that she was even more important for them than Jennifer!

That is a nice thing for him to say:)

Bigkimfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

possie
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM
.Originally posted by marcria
You could also find them live on the site of Eurosport:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/sport_0_S57.htm

:)

Thanks for the site. I'm an Aussie......it's currently 12:30am, but I'm sitting on my computer "watching" Kim's final against Venus :D :D. If only they showed the TV telecast live on the net!!!

~|Naomi|~
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Kim is now ranked 12 in doubles:D A new career high, she has now passed Dokic:p

Kornelija
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM
it's sa d because Kimmie lost first set 2-6 and venus is 5-3 ahead in third. GO KIM.YOU CAN DO OT!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Better luck next time. Overall, this is still an excellent start of the year. Win in Sydney, semi-final in Australia and final here.

I don't think I could be a tennis player. Unless you're Serena Williams in 2002, you know that you will lose at some point during most tournaments. Too depressing for me:D

In any event, I think this is going to be a great Spring for Kim. And, Kim, now hurry up to the US so we can see you here:D

Bigkimfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Kim lost:sad: She played great, but she made to many errors at important points...:sad:

Pinkie
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Can anyone say what she said in her post-match speech?

duck
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:43 PM
I didn't really expect her to win so I am not hugely disappointed. But it has been a very good start to the season for her. I hope she keeps on getting better.

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM
well, in her interview she said that venus played a very good match, and that she certainly will return next year, of course.

before doublesmatch:
Lleyton's having a good time with lei, he's laughing all the time, and reading something, but I can't see what it is. He looks :hearts: mmm. mum and kirsten's mum are there, eating chocolats, 'merci'. They're all having a good time.
Marc dehous and his girlfriend are cute together ;)
now lleyton's eating chocolate, sexy, he's really having a good time
he's reading a book about 'siemens', and he knows he's filmed, he holds the book in front of him, joking with lei if he wouldn't get some money of siemens for it :)

Elke
Feb 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Tiben I'll do it after doubles.
Lleyton is eating Belgian chocolats right now!:D

Lynnsha
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the report. :D
Nice to see Lleyton having a good time in Belgium and nice too see that he is in good term with Lei. :bounce:

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Lleyton :angel: He's so adorable :D

Lynnsha
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:55 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Kim and Ai def N. Dechy / E. Loit 6-2 6-0 :bounce: :bounce:
:worship: :worship: :worship: CONGRATS GIRLS:worship: :worship:

Lleykimmy1
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Well done for the double Ai and Kim, congratulations !!!!!!!!!!

And congratulations Kim, even if you lost to Venus today you did a fantastic begin of season and I'm sure you'll win lots of tournaments even against the Williams sisters.

GO KIM YOU'RE THE BEST !!!

:hearts: LLEYTON :hearts:

Stefke
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:58 PM
:sad: :sad: Kimmy!
But she and Ai won doubles:D!!!
MMMMM Lleyton :drool: :hearts:

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Congrats to Ai and Kim :kiss:

Great tournament for Kim :D

Final in singles, winner in doubles :D :bounce:

Anybody know what her doubles ranking will be now?

Elke
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Congrats to Kim and Ai!! :bounce::worship: They're really great to watch!:D
Steven Martens (Daviscup captain) had inside information that they're going to Paris this night, celebrating!

angele87
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM
They're going to Paris to celebrate? That's great :D Hope they all have a good time :kiss:

Elleke
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM
congrats with the doubles title :D they are such a great team! and indeed lleyton was funny :)

KaseyL
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Stefke
:bounce::bounce:
:eek:Wow Kimmy you played so well:eek:
Maybe she wasn't sick and she didn't sleep so much cause of lley:o
No, Kim wouln't say that if it wasn't true:)

LOL but no, she was really sick, so sick that Lei had called the tournament director Bob Verbeeck at 1 AM on Saturday morning to tell him about her state and to warn him Kim might not be able to play if her condition didn't improve overnight. (The tournament had planned a backup (an exhibition match) in case Kim couldn't play.)
Kim only could get some sleep around 1.30 AM. She also had to vomit and all. (info: Belgian public TV)

Having this in mind, I think that her win over Justine was even more impressive this way. Really admirable!

KaseyL
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:22 PM

:D Angele, easy mistake, isn't it! :D Only Lleyton seems to be ignorant :p

But who knows, they are going to Paris to celebrate tonight, so... ;) (if they don't change plans) :angel:

KaseyL
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Kim_for_number_1
now lleyton's eating chocolate, sexy, he's really having a good time
he's reading a book about 'siemens', and he knows he's filmed, he holds the book in front of him, joking with lei if he wouldn't get some money of siemens for it :)

:D Lei and Lleyton chatting

so cute to see Lleyton behaving like this in Kim's box :hearts:

Bigkimfan
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
A lot of people are saying that Venus is much better than Kim! Is it?

I don't think it is. I think Venus played almost faultless today, and that she can play these kind of matches only a couple of times in a year...

KaseyL
Feb 16th, 2003, 04:38 PM
:sad: for Kim's singles but the better player won today. Anyway, Kim can be very proud to have fought in this way, she really fought like a lion! Loved the fist-pumps! Both players really have given the crowd value for money! No boring match at all.

It's so great to see that the way Kim is playing, is proof how close she is to the absolute top. She is truly a challenger to the Williams sisters. It's also great for tennis in general imo that she is forcing Venus to more efforts too, to vary her game. It's not just about big hitting, but it now takes more to win. I think we might get to see more interesting and thrilling matches in the women's top from now on.

To add something Kim said in her post-match interview:
Asked who she thought to be the best player right now, she replied that she considers Serena as the absolute top, but said that Venus maybe might be there again this year, like she was in the past.

Carl Maes said that Kim's game is forcing the Williams sisters to prepare for a match in a different way, to develop their game as Kim is developing hers and challenging them.

Ai said in her post-match interview that she loved to play doubles with Kim, that Kim made her laugh, and that she admired Kim for how great she played in singles and in doubles as well. :hearts:

And :bounce: for this great tournament: it was so well organised, a crowd of 14460 (sold-out!), all cheering outloud! :bounce: the most successful tennis tournament right now, I think!

Hawk
Feb 16th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Congrats on a great tournament Kim :D :kiss:

I wasn't really expecting her to win the singles either..but she fought hard! :D