PDA

View Full Version : Mikaelian is going to play for France

saby
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:19 PM
I read this in the sport newspaper this morning. She asked the french nationality.

welcome to France girl

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Beat
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM
it's not decided yet...
i will remain a fan od MGM, but i still hope she can sort out the differences with the swiss tennis federation.

anyway, good luck, marie.

Zamboni
Feb 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I don't really care, I mean I'm not French, nor Swiss, I'm just a fan of Marie ;)

But what happened? What kind of problems does she have with the swiss federation?

saby
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Apparently the swiss federation didn't help her when she needed it and now she is in the top 50 players, the swiss fed wants to help !!
She's kind of mad (that is what she said) , so she asked for the french nationality, it's not done yet but the french federation is helping her.

Zamboni
Feb 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Oh, I see. I can imagine she's mad, and seeing she's not really Swiss I understand the step is not that big for her.

Doris Loeffel
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:04 PM
hmmm guess the situation isn't all that easy as you put it saby.

Apparently MGM (guess back then better her family) choose to have privat lessons and not taking the offers from swiss tennis. And at the beginning MGM didn't have that good results - therefore she wasn't invited for international tournaments by the swiss tennis federation. And the Mikaelians took offence of that as for not helping their daughter to develop her game. And now the family is asking to much monney for joining the Fed Cup (and also wants monney back from several year backwards for trainings etc.). Looks like both sides are sort of not giving away some of their opinions. Even though Swiss Tennis is more willing to give a hand - but the Mikaelians even refuse a meeting with a "neutral" person to discuss and solve the problems. The Mikaelians want an appology - and Swiss Tennis believes they don't need to give out an appology as they did nothing wrong according to their status.

Well that's how I see the situation but there are for sure more things behind it I don't know about.

as Beat mentioned nothing decided yet. First she has to get the citienship - and then we'll see how she'll be accepted in the french team. I mean to play Fed Cup there are soooo many good fFrench players around she has to boot out......

Zamboni
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:40 PM
hmm...sounds complicated ;) From this point of view I can very well understand the Swiss Federation...maybe it is better for both parties if Marie will play for France (or any other country).

saby
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:28 PM
From this point of view I see now why she wants to change her nationality, well I guess like usualy journalists write only what they want.