PDA

View Full Version : Pierce/Mirza doubles match report

ms_nut
Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:36 PM
To begin with,Mary seemed very friendly and kind to Sania.Pierce wore a white top and black skirt.She hid her arms for once and looked pretty nice(not fat at all..like the dress at the AUS open made her out to be).She looked so pretty.Okay the tennis now.
The opening game saw Mary blast serves left,right and centre.Her opponents were awe-struck(so what's new) by the aura of Mary Pierce.Pierce played some good lobs and smashed returns so hard.Not a bad strategy by Mary.hmm.... you pound the return right at your opponent and they retire hurt and ur off the court in 5 minutes.
While that didn't work(Pierce missed Sai by inches which left Sai literally shivering in her shoes).The first 3 games were nervous ones by Sania,by Mary seemed to be carrying her on and really boosted her confidence by cheering her.The duo broke at 3-1 and didn't look back.Mary's serve was superb.So good,I think she can definitely challenge Williams with that Serve, but for her movement.
The second set saw the Indian duo play better tennis,but Sania and Pierce were just too tough.Mary seems like such a professional doubles player.She twice did the I-formation.She made a few good volleys(really good ones) .But to be fair,they will have a tough time against prob. Elena/Iroda who are really good dbls players.Pierce did miss a few net shots but overall it was decent.Pierce can lift Mirza to win an amazing QF tho' but that is their toughest match.Should they beat Elena/Iroda they will win the doubles crown .(yes I'm so sure)
Overall it was entertaining with some good lobs by Pierce and she did get back a few smashes.Well played Pierce/Mirza and best of luck.
Postscript: Pierce seemed very relaxed and will do very well in the singles I'm sure.
Pierce does need to lose a few pounds to challenge the likes of Serena et al.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:42 PM
Great report, thanks! :D

Mark Spruce
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:15 PM
superb

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Mark

mauresmofan
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:34 PM
Yes Mary would make anyone awe struck - she looks so posh on court!

Dhruv
Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
From the site Playing with Sania seems to have put Pierce in the right frame of mind, in her comeback Quest. "Sania is a great girl, she has great energy, she hits the ball harder than I do and well I had a lot of fun', said Pierce.
Sania on the other hand looked star struck. "It is the best thing (playing alongside Pierce) that has happened in my whole career. It's like a dream come true", said the excited bubbling with enthusiasm teenager.

Hits the ball harder than Mary and she is still 15 or 16. Maybe Mary is being kind but if Sania does hit the ball that hard and hopefully accurately maybe she can make it in the big leagues when she moves out of the juniors.

alessandrochus
Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:41 PM
I'm so happy to hear (read;) ) that Mary is coming to great tennis. Playing double will help her to regain her fit sooner. Roland Garros 2003 is coming!!

:bounce:

ciao

Alessandro

Scotso
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:02 PM
Go Sania/Mary! :D

danielrosario
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:35 AM
I must add (from having watched the match on DD Sports) that Sania's volleys seem to have improved. However, she seemed to be trying a bit too hard-- maybe coz it was her 1st WTA tourney or maybe because she was partnering Pierce. A couple of times she hit the ball wayyy long and squealed.

MS_NUT, your report was so accurate. However, you did not make any mention of Rushmi, who I thought played a very good match. She truly impressed me.

Of course, the Tamilians did the shrewd thing: they tried to hit the ball only to Sania in order to not have to trade shots with Pierce. Overall, I enjoyed the match.