PDA

View Full Version : Thursday news from Hyderabad

jayakris
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:39 AM
Yes, Sunitha Rao is indeed there for the qualies .. So are Isha Lakhani and Megha Vakharia..

Here is the article from the Deccan Chronicle newspaper

Jay

==================

Preparations for WTA Open are in full swing

Hyderabad, Jan. 30: Preparations for the WTA Indian Open to be held at the SAAP tennis complex from February 3 are in full swing and some of the qualifiers, who have arrived were having a feel of the courts.

The qualifiers who practiced on Thursday were Olga Kalyazhanaya of Russia, Sunita Rao of USA, Maria Vento Kabchi of Venezuela, India’s Sania Mirza and a few Far East players. Isha Lakhani and Megha Vakharia also had a feel of the courts.

Mary Pierce, who lost in the first round of the Tokyo Open will arrive in the City on Monday, while top seeded Chanda Rubin is expected after the Tokyo tournament.

Addressing a press conference, Minister for commercial taxes K Vijayarama Rao said that the draws will take place on February 1 at the Taj Krishna at 12 noon.

The qualifying rounds will begin on Saturday afternoon, while the main draw matches will commence on February 3.

The Governor SS Barnala will inaugurate the championship, while Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu will preside.

Japanese WTA supervisor Nao Kawatei was impressed by the facilities at the Stadium and said that the players would be satisfied.

He said that the winner of the tournament will be awarded 95 points, while the runner up will get 67 points. Semifinalists will get 43 and quarterfinalists 24. Second round losers will be awarded 12 while the first round losers will get 1 point.

Tickets are on sale at various e seva centres in the city. Clubs have been asked to inform the organisers about the number of tickets they wanted to be blocked.

Doordarshan Sports will telecast the tournament live. Matches on the first day will be held from 3 p.m. while on subsequent days they will commence from 3.30 p.m.

The finals will be held from 4 p.m.

Steveg
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:36 AM
I wonder who the "few Far East players" are :confused: .

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:56 AM
How many hours different? Anyone can help me...? Thanks...BTW, why do they start it in the afternoon? Is it to avoid high temperature? Kawatei-san is there for sure..Wow, it has been a long time since I saw him last time in Jakarta!!!:cool: :wavey: :bounce:

ms_nut
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:12 AM
India is 51/2 hours ahead of GMT.
And matches start in the cooler evenings just like the ATP event.

Shine On Silver Moon
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks ms_nut! Are you in university for teaching or studying? Or what else? I know it is far for you travel to H'rabad!!!:cool: :wavey: :bounce:

danielrosario
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:50 AM
Sania is already at the venue. That's good to know. She'll probably have 3 days to practise... It's in her hometown and it is the same court on which she won the National Games gold medal, so what more could she ask for?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:12 AM
Olga is always playing events in India ;)

Sania :)

evening time.. i presume about 4/5pm start ???

Rising Sun
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Steveg
I wonder who the "few Far East players" are :confused: .

Yeah, I wish they elaborated which "Far-Eastern players"... :rolleyes:

I know that Aiko Nakamura & Maki Arai have been there since Wednesday...

jayakris
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:21 PM
3.30 pm start on Monday, Indian time.

That is,

8 pm Sydney
7 pm Tokyo
6 pm Singapore, Taipei, Beijing
5 pm Jakarta, Bangkok
3 pm Tashkent
1 pm Teheran
12 noon Cairo
11 am Paris
10 am London
5 am New York
2 am Los Angeles

From Monday onwards, the start time is half hour later.
The finals on Sunday start an hour later.

It's not THAT incredibly hot or anything if they start earlier I think, but it's much nicer after about 3 pm there and it cools down quite fast by 6 pm.

Jay

jayakris
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I too didn't like that "far easterm players" line in there. Something tells me that this writer would not write that there were a few "western players" practising there. Sort of like he/she didn't care much to find out who those players from the "far east" were ..

Jay

King Aaron
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:46 PM
the writer should have made more of an effort instead of 'far east players'

danielrosario
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:22 AM
I think the news coverage here was more than most other tournaments get. How many newspapers would publish reports on players warming up 3 days before the tournament starts?

For my part, though I would have liked to know who the far east players were, I will not crib about the writer but be happy that the paper at least published something on the prequalifying days.

BTW, I have seen many references in challenger reports to "east european players" so I wouldnt say that the far east asians are being discriminated against.

Shine On Silver Moon
Feb 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
I agree with you Daniel!!!:wavey: :D

Rising Sun
Feb 1st, 2003, 07:50 AM
I'm sure the writer isn't discriminatory, but I do find that he was somehow 'ignorant' in not bothering to find out the names of these players.