PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Finals Predictions

GoGoMaggie
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Chanda Rubin vs Elena Dementieva

Chanda should be the favorite of this match up. She beat Katarina pretty comfortably n her near flat groundies suit the fast surface. Elena played two solid matches so far. Against Shaunessy, she was rather rusty and in a way helped by the erratic Shaunessy. that said, this match up should be quite entertaining provided that both players play well. One thing I dont like about Chanda is She doesn't have a good indoor record does she? I rarely see her play well indoors. my prediction: Chanda in three

Monica Seles vs Lina Krasnoroutskaya

This is a tricky one. Apparently Monica isnt in her best form. She was rather tentative in her 2nd round match against Ai. She herself admitted that she wasn't quite ready for the event after she got injured downunder. (unlike some other selfish,hypocritical players, she deserves all the respect for even having entered with the bad injury) on paper, Monica should beat Lina in two in a straightfoward manner. but the fact that Monica is far from her best worries me. on top of that, Lina beat the russian rising start, Bovina (Lina herself was in that spot only a short while ago before she got injured), so it wouldnt be too big a shocker if Lina surprised Monica. I really want Monica to win this one not just to pay my honor to the great woman but for the sake of the tournament that has already suffered multiple damages. Monica's mental edge will make the difference at then end. Monica in three.

Lisa Raymond vs Jelena Dokic

This is as tricky a match as the second one. It depends a lot on how much closer Jelena has gotten back to where she normally is. Obviously Jelena didnt play great yesterday against Angie. Jelena is shaking off the rust having just come back from the off season. She definitely needs to raise her level a notch against Lisa, who upset my obvious favorite, Maggie n whose game should suit the surface better than anyone else'. I think Lisa has more than a chance to take this one considering the form Jelena is in right now. Lisa should attack the net as often as she can and I dont think Jelena is quite ready for a net player yet as Angie rarely played at the net that pre much gave Jelena no passing pracitice. of course if Jelena plays at her best, she should win in two but I personally dont think that wil happen this time around. If the Lisa who beat Hingis indoors many years ago shows up, Lisa will win. Lisa in three.

Tamarine Tanasugarn vs Lindsay Davenport

I'm very sorry to say this but this is the easiest one to predict. as much as I want Tammy to win, Lindsay has too much power for Tammy to handle. I wouldn't say Tammy has no chance at all. She does but a minimum one. I saw Lindsay play against Iva and Lindsay was still having the same problem of closing out a set. but she was definitely playing well apart from the mental block. Tammy did a great job beating Farina yesterday but Linsday is just in a totally different class from her. Provided Tammy is the last Asian player left in the draw, the crowd will take her side and hopefully that will give her some mental boost. Tammy has toplay way more agressive n riskier tennis than she did against Farina. She gotta make sure Lindsay doesn't hit in her zone. Tammy has to play smart and shrewd. Lindsay wount give me many chances. Probably one or two, Tammy can't afford to miss one. Lindsay's biggest weakness is no doubt her movement. Tammy has to exploit it at any cost. moving her around is the first condition for Tammy to get a chance. attacking the net should do her all the good. in sum, she just has to do everything she can n give it everything she s got. Probably she gotta play 120% or so. or else Lindsay will trounce her easily. As much as I cheer for Tammy, my predition is firm: Lindsay in two

what the fuck am I?? I'm not even a qualified tennis commentator or journalist. I just wanted to do stuff like this once in a life.. forgive me!!!! :worship:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Chanda Rubin vs Elena Dementieva

Elena's got game. She can play with the best. But she is so, so inconsistent. That is what will make the difference at the end of this match. Consistent power vs. Inconsistent power. If Elena plays her best the whole way through she can definitely win, but Chanda gets my vote...Chanda in three.

Monica Seles vs Lina Krasnoroutskaya

Lina hits the ball really, really hard and I think she likes this surface. She beat Bovina, who is an excellent player, so she is in good form. On the other hand, Monica struggled against a player who she'd never lost to and the effects of her ankle sprain down under were apparent. Will Monica feel healthy? Will she regain her form? If so, she will win. If not, it's a toss-up. But I have to give the edge to the veteran...Monica in three.

Lisa Raymond vs Jelena Dokic

Jelena is rusty. Lisa played a great match to beat Maleeva. But in my mind, Raymond doesn't have a great game to match up with Dokic. Dokic loves hitting passing shots because she loves hitting targets. Lisa's ground game will provide pace for Jelena to spank winners off the ground. I think Jelena will show up well for this match and I give her the edge...Jelena in two.

Tamarine Tanasugarn vs Lindsay Davenport

Lindsay should easily take this one. Tammy hits a hard, solid ball, but Lindsay just hits it better. Plus, Tammy is not known for beating players ranked above her. I just don't see Lindsay having any trouble with this match...Lindsay in two.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Monica BT Lina- in 3 sets(could be 2 sets depending on monicas condition.)
Chanda BT Elena- in 3 sets
Lindsay BT Tammy- in 2 sets
Dokic BT Raymond-in 3 sets( Raymond could pull an upset)

CJ07
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Chanda-Elena
Chanda in 3, Elena hasnt convinced me yet

4-6 6-1 6-3

Monica-Kranoroutskaya
6-1 in the third against Ai gives me hope, Monica in 2, maybe 3

7-5 6-1 if healthy
4-6 6-1 6-3 if not

Dokic-Raymond
If Dokic plays well, Dokic in 2, if not Dokic in 3

6-4 6-4

Davenport-Tanasugarn
Easy, Lindsay in 2

6-2 6-2

AjdeNate!
Jan 30th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Monica in 2
Chanda in 2
Lindsay in 2
Jelena in 2

Ho hum day in Tokyo. :p

GoGoMaggie
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:46 AM
Oh well I got them all right except for the scorelines.