PDA

View Full Version : The Wimbledon ticket ballot

bluepastures
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:29 PM
I received a letter in the post this morning, saying my application for the Wimbledon ticket public ballot has been successful, and I will get 2 centre court tickets for the first day. Sent my cheque and SAE off this morning too.

The LTA advantage ballot isn't held until March, I think.

Did anyone else have their letters this morning?

Flappie
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:32 PM
havent received anything yet! But still a few weeks to go! :D

bluepastures
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM
It'll take longer to reach you, in Holland. It really is a big ballot, so I suspect as you say, people get their letters over a couple of weeks.

JCAP
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Were can you buy tickets are does it have to go through this ballot thing???????????????? Im confused

bluepastures
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:57 PM
No, you can also buy tickets on the day for centre court and court 1, but are very limited. In fact, to shorten queues on the middle Saturday, this year the organisers have drastically reduced the showcourt tickets available to people queueing. Grounds tickets can ONLY be bought on the day, but queues are very long, especially in the first week.
As well as the general ballot, there's also the LTA advantage ballot, for LTA advantage members, as well as ballots for various other tennis associations, such as the BWTA. Each county association also receives an allocation of tickets, as do sponsors.

JCAP
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM
But can you not buy them from a shop?? I probbly sound stupid but I've never been and I'm hopin to get them for my birthday but my mum and dad dont know were to get them!!! Can you buy them over the net?? I mean im from N.Ireland and i really dont want to fly over then queue up and not even get tickets!! How much are tickets for say........................ the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds!!

Nikki
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:49 PM
You should be able to find info on www.wimbledon.org

paul_masterton
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:50 PM
no u can't get them from a shop.

If you don't get them from a ballot them i'm pretty sure you will have to queue i'm afraid!

JCAP
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:42 PM
thanks for your help

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM
If you're rich enough you can always get in line to buy a debenture ;) (but there'sa big waiting list for that too)

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Well as long as we can bloody get them throug queueing cos I am going on the Sunday and hoping to get tix to see Jen's first match and hopefully her secon round one proiding she doesn't bomb out at the first hurdle! Bit crap if I overcome my fear of flying not to get to see her at all!

bluepastures
Jan 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM
My centre court tickets cost £28 each for the Monday. If you queue on the first few days, intending to get showcourt tickets, You'll need to get there VERY early in the morning. Some people queue overnight.
I can never be bothered queueing the first week, if I haven't got tickets. Much easier to either go to the Roehampton international junior tournament (where most of the top juniors play before junior Wimbledon) or watch BBCIs multi-court coverage. If I queue, it's during the second week, and only for grounds tickets, to see the doubles and juniors.

debs06
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:03 PM
i sent u a private message k

Martian Martin
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Still waiting, but even good to know they've started sending out letters about who actually gets tickets. I didn't get mine till about the 3rd Feb last year, so still time :)

JCAP
Jan 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM
I wish I'd put my name in the ballot thing (whatever it is)

SJW
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:28 PM
i got tickets for the 1st July, Ladies Quarters!

IM SO HAPPY!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Fieke
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:38 PM
I'm planning to queue for grounds tickets the first week. Do any of the "more experienced Wimbledon visitors" know how long those queues can be? I don't want to go all the way to London to find out that all the tickets have been sold out...

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I'm hopefully going again, queuing though this year cos I got crap tickets in the ballot the last time I went, but it was the first time so I thought I may as well have gone...

Dunno how long the queues are but I don't want to camp, may stop at a mates in London and catch the tube early.

Caz
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Well, speaking from three years experience of queueing, how long the queue is depends upon the day you want to go and who's playing.

For the first week, so long as you are prepared to queue overnight, you souldn't have any problems getting a ticket, so long as you don't mind if it's only a ground pass, (which gives you access to standing room on court 2 and all other courts, apart from Centre and Court 1). Most days I've queued overnight, I've usually had a choice of show court tickets, though I haven't wanted them ;) It's more difficult if Tim or Greg are playing though.

For the second week, apart from the second Monday, when the queues are really long, so long as you queue from around 6am or so, you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets. They only sell show court tickets on the day for Mon-Wed during the second week. After that you can still queue for ground passes and try your luck in the ticket resale queue once you get inside.

As far as the overnight queue goes, the first night is always awful - the concrete feels *so* hard and St. Mary's church bells keep you awake all night, but after you've survived the first night it's really not so bad!! I usually end up getting around 8 hours sleep a night from the second night onwards!! :D

Fieke
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Hmm, queuing overnight... sounds like an exciting experience ;)
Thanks for the info!

veryborednow
Jan 28th, 2003, 08:47 PM
so if i have no letter now, there's no need to go and buy a tent just yet?

moon
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:21 PM
anybody know how you would get on this list for the ballot? what organization do you have to be a member of?

I'm thinking of going at the end of the first week and the beginning of the second week.

Snuffkin
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:27 PM
The ballot is open to all. However, the entry for this year has passed. Check the Wimby website towards around September time for details on entering.

www.wimbledon.org

Central
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Last year I got to the queue everyday at 6am, and I got ground tickets everyday, and some days I also got for court n.2. I'm talking about first monday to second tuesday.
Doors open at 10-10:30, so...