PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Wild Cards...

danielrosario
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:50 AM
How many wild cards will there be in the qualy draw? 4?

Hope all of them go to Indians. Prolly Manisha, Rushmi, Ankita, Isha. BTW, is Tara Iyer entered here?

King Aaron
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Should be 3 like normal. Okay I'm confused as well. I thought it was 3 now I think it's 4.

jayakris
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I don't think Tara would have entered. She has no WTA ranking and it is too early for a 14 yr old to be paying qualies at WTA events. Plus she has to come all the way from the US.

I too hope Manisha, Rushmi, Isha/Ankita would get wildcards. Ankita is playing at Delhi grade-3 juniors this week, and I would be surprised if she does not reach the final on saturday there though. Wonder if she can even manage to get there for qualies on sunday... May be one of the local girls might get a wildcard. No local girl except Sania really making news, but if they pick some local girl, it will be Sandri Gangotri, Punam Reddy or Tejaswini Datla, but they are too young and it would be wasting a wildcard.

I still hope that Niru somehow shows up there; but as we have heard nothin on that yet, I guess that is not going to happen. I don't know whom to blame, but it is sad sad sad!

Jay

spiceboy
Jan 27th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Probably Manisha won't need a WC to enter qualifying

jayakris
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:18 PM
yes. manisha and perhaps even rushmi would make it in. Actually I don't see more than about 20 or so top-400 foreign players showing up for qualies. As this is the first time, it is tough to say though.

Jay

Rising Sun
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:44 PM
What I'm really hoping to happen is some of the other Indian players such as Sonal, Radhika, etc sign-up for qualifying on the day and see if they make the cutoffs or not. Very good chance they do.

Rushmi and Sai may even make it on their own ranking, if the turn-out is weak.

Rising Sun
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Speaking of Niru, it would be a shame if she doesn't play.

She's the pioneer of Indian women's tennis, it just wouldn't be right sentimentally if she didn't play in the Inaugral WTA tourney in India... :sad:

jayakris
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't look like she will be there. Pity that a lot of Indians don't give her the credit she deserves.

Jay

paul_masterton
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:40 PM
anyone know of an updated qualifying list? and who is on it?

This event is gonna suffer with there being a 75k in the USA, and a 25k in DOha the same week. Many players will play DOha because of the tier event there the following week.

I think a few local girls could sneak in here and get soem points and experience.

england_rules
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I agree Paul! I think Bally and Anne should play here! They could probably qualify!

King Aaron
Jan 28th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Maybe Rushmi and Jaya can make t on their own. Hopefully they do so the others can take full advantage.

Dhruv
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Well Manisha has got WC to the doubles main draw and apparantely is going to team up with Chanda Rubin. I would hope/assume this means that she will get a WC to the qualies as well if she does not make the main quali draw by herself.